Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018

Busy busy bee

Hello everyone!

How have you been doing? Great I hope.

The Vinland crew has been doing great, although the winds of rendering haven't blown that way. This week has been busy, either with work or with social callings, and I fear I couldn't advance as much as I wanted. Well, you know the drill. It's a good thing I've never given any firm release date :p And I don't feel too bad either since I still don't take pledge for the moment, but once chapter 1 is released, I guess I'll have to modify my workflow. As of now, it's taking way too much time to do what I want, and it's not even a GPU issue. I'm just taking too long to achieve the desired results :x

I know most of you will say that I shouldn't fret it, the release will be out when it's done, etc. But it's frustrating on my side too.

On lighter news, I'm almost done with a sizeable chunk of the chapter, and it's great how things are set into motion. I'm quite eager to let you play it and give me your feedback on some scenes :)

By the way, on a totally unrelated note. Now that we established your desire to have Norse settings bonus in the notebook, which girl would you like to have bonus (non-canon) scenes in the first chapter? To be perfectly frank, I've already done 10 scenes with Gudrid, but I'm okay with keeping them for another occasion and let you vote instead.

Polls should normally be open only to 10$+ patrons, but it does seem silly since I'm not actually taking pledge at the moment.

I'll see you on Patreon for the poll, it's open to public :)

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Is it weird I don't see the heart made by the hands, I see anime cat head?

Your work seems to be getting better. Maybe by the time you release chapter 1 you will have philly rendering skills.
Good lighting, camera position gives a nice pov, suit is interesting but would have liked a beehive near her as a joke with it.

Man that grass is really tall, or she is the height of a smurf/ava.
All joking aside, the render of her face does look less dirty and more "commoner".

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
Is it weird I don't see the heart made by the hands, I see anime cat head?

Your work seems to be getting better. Maybe by the time you release chapter 1 you will have philly rendering skills.
Good lighting, camera position gives a nice pov, suit is interesting but would have liked a beehive near her as a joke with it.

Man that grass is really tall, or she is the height of a smurf/ava.
All joking aside, the render of her face does look less dirty and more "commoner".
That's awfully nice, thank you :)

If you've seen the size chart I've made quite a few decades ago, you've learned that Adelaïde is quite small indeed. She's 155cm tall (so not unlike a giant for Ava :p). I'm glad her new face is doing fine, it was bugging me quite a lot :x

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
That's awfully nice, thank you :)

If you've seen the size chart I've made quite a few decades ago, you've learned that Adelaïde is quite small indeed. She's 155cm tall (so not unlike a giant for Ava :p). I'm glad her new face is doing fine, it was bugging me quite a lot :x
Man now I feel bad for not criticizing. Um grass on the field joke?

Honestly.
In this image she looks a bit weird to me, I don't know if the body or the head looks too big/small or old/young for each other, just something in the back of my brain thinks the two things don't match. Other than that, your evergreen trees seem extremely blurry, also can't tell if she is looking at the camera or slightly to the left/right. Might just be this image messing with my eyes though.

Other than the previous post it does continue looking better and better. So keep on keeping on.

• Wow
Reactions: Huitieme

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
Man now I feel bad for not criticizing. Um grass on the field joke?

Honestly.
In this image she looks a bit weird to me, I don't know if the body or the head looks too big/small or old/young for each other, just something in the back of my brain thinks the two things don't match. Other than that, your evergreen trees seem extremely blurry, also can't tell if she is looking at the camera or slightly to the left/right. Might just be this image messing with my eyes though.

Other than the previous post it does continue looking better and better. So keep on keeping on.
Well, this render was done in 5 minutes (I've spent longer just to find the clothes) without too much work, actually. But I do believe I'm getting better at stuff. You'll just have to wait for the first chapter to be out ;)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
and it's not even a GPU issue. I'm just taking too long to achieve the desired results :x
It's the one thing that people sometimes forget. Setting up the scene -just- right can take time. Don't worry about it is my advice, you're learning a ton of stuff that's going to pay so much dividend later than the line and....you're not having to remaster ;)

Get the game as you want it to be - else you won't be happy.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Well, this render was done in 5 minutes (I've spent the most time just to find the clothes) without too much work, actually. But I do believe I'm getting better at stuff. You'll just have to wait for the first chapter to be out ;)

So you know, I wasn't complaining. Part of it was joking around about only saying nice things earlier. The other part was giving a heads up on that back of the mind weirdness.

Like I said in the earlier post you are continually improving and I do eagerly await to see the story unfold.

Might I suggest updating the patreon with the new model?

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
It's the one thing that people sometimes forget. Setting up the scene -just- right can take time. Don't worry about it is my advice, you're learning a ton of stuff that's going to pay so much dividend later than the line and....you're not having to remaster ;)

Get the game as you want it to be - else you won't be happy.
Thank you, that's exactly what I'm gonna do! I do indeed feel like I'm getting better with each passing day, although for the last few weeks, I've only been able to dedicate no more than 2 hours a day to Daz (3 hours when I'm feeling particularly feisty). Right now, on a scale from 1 to 10 where 10 would be the like of Philly and 1 would be someone opening Daz for the first time; I feel like a solid 3! (But I'm devious enough to make you think I'm a 5 :D)

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
So you know, I wasn't complaining. Part of it was joking around about only saying nice things earlier. The other part was giving a heads up on that back of the mind weirdness.

Like I said in the earlier post you are continually improving and I do eagerly await to see the story unfold.

Might I suggest updating the patreon with the new model?
No worries, mate, I didn't take it as anything but friendly banter :) All your points were valid regarding that little picture and the shortness of Addie.

Believe me when I tell you I'm no less eager for you all to play my little game :)

Reactions: Akamari

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Thank you, that's exactly what I'm gonna do! I do indeed feel like I'm getting better with each passing day, although for the last few weeks, I've only been able to dedicate no more than 2 hours a day to Daz (3 hours when I'm feeling particularly feisty). Right now, on a scale from 1 to 10 where 10 would be the like of Philly and 1 would be someone opening Daz for the first time; I feel like a solid 3! (But I'm devious enough to make you think I'm a 5 :D)

I wonder how often does your script include *looks thoughtful*?:p

More seriously though, it's a nice render. I'd say you're already pretty good actually. Definitely above average. :)

timepants

God of Time (and Pants)
Donor
Game Developer
May 12, 2017

As someone with no experience rendering or using RenPy or anything like that, what would you say the learning curve is for this stuff? I need this for...research purposes.

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
I wonder how often does your script include *looks thoughtful*?:p
There isn't a *looks thoughtful* line... yet. Although there are quite a few *does something* ones :D

As someone with no experience rendering or using RenPy or anything like that, what would you say the learning curve is for this stuff? I need this for...research purposes.
Renpy is actually quite easy to use if you're gunning for something simple. My coding abilities amount to little more than zero, but if you know how to include variable and if conditions, you can write a Visual Novel without issue (and you don't even need that if what you're trying to write is a Kinetic Novel). The Renpy software comes with a built-in tutorial that will explain to you all the basics. Now, if you wish to do more complex things... Well you can always find lots and lots of information/advice/coding examples all around the internet and on this here forum :)

Daz, now, is a bit different in its learning curve. It took me longer than I care to admit to see that there was also a built-in tutorial available (in the bottom right-hand corner of the software. Since it's fairly resource demanding, the better way to learn how to do things is to have a computer powerful enough not to dissuade you trying by slowing down each time you're moving cameras or assets. By the way, if you press F2 and go to Interfaces, you can set Display Optimization to Best to help you with the lagging. Wow, that was a long parenthesis.)
On Daz, the learning curve is demanding at first. You need to learn how to use the available tools, how to save scene subsets to reuse them later, how to do mistakes and how not to do them anymore, etc. I'd say it'd take a good month to render good things, unless you're one of those genius I sometimes see in the Daz3D skills thread. Don't hesitate to hit Youtube, the internet and this here forum once again :)

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018

Weekly timey wimey devy bloggy

Howdy ho, people!

It downed on me that I didn't even propose Astrid for the previous poll. So the poor girl is pouting now :(

Now, the big winner of said poll is, without contest, Freydis the redhead amazonian. Shame forces me to confess that I haven't even started working on her path for chapter 1. I want to tell you that I've at least finished SG1, but it's not true either, as I keep adding little lines here and there, that must be backed by corresponding renders.

By the way, I'm really trying to have multiple branches in the story, and none of these fake choices where not doing an action just remove potential content. In chapter 1, every choice you make, every breath you take, I'll be watching you ♪ Sorry. Every choice you take will lead you to specific content. I guess this is why it's taking so long ^^

Chapter 1 is now close to 400 renders, and the whole chapter should have more (way more) than 1000. The wait is long, but this ain't fast food, this is fucking gourmet :D

Also, since you've been nothing but good chums, have a (very) rough draft of the Freydis bonus to come.
Bisous bécots, see you soon \o

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017

Weekly timey wimey devy bloggy

Howdy ho, people!

It downed on me that I didn't even propose Astrid for the previous poll. So the poor girl is pouting now :(

Now, the big winner of said poll is, without contest, Freydis the redhead amazonian. Shame forces me to confess that I haven't even started working on her path for chapter 1. I want to tell you that I've at least finished SG1, but it's not true either, as I keep adding little lines here and there, that must be backed by corresponding renders.

By the way, I'm really trying to have multiple branches in the story, and none of these fake choices where not doing an action just remove potential content. In chapter 1, every choice you make, every breath you take, I'll be watching you ♪ Sorry. Every choice you take will lead you to specific content. I guess this is why it's taking so long ^^

Chapter 1 is now close to 400 renders, and the whole chapter should have more (way more) than 1000. The wait is long, but this ain't fast food, this is fucking gourmet :D

Also, since you've been nothing but good chums, have a (very) rough draft of the Freydis bonus to come.
Bisous bécots, see you soon \o
Figured you purposefully didn't so you could keep all the Astrid fan lovers from getting their hopes up with her being out of the story after MC sets sail.

Also don't feel bad about not finishing SG1, that show had like 216 or something episodes and a movie.

We have to be honest with ourselves, if polls come out and Freydis is on them, she will probably win.

• Haha
Reactions: Huitieme

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
Figured you purposefully didn't so you could keep all the Astrid fan lovers from getting their hopes up with her being out of the story after MC sets sail.

Also don't feel bad about not finishing SG1, that show had like 216 or something episodes and a movie.

We have to be honest with ourselves, if polls come out and Freydis is on them, she will probably win.
Well, it's a good thing winners are out the next polls then :p
I noticed the second place was taken by the mysterious "secret girl"... Maybe something could be made out of that :unsure:

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Just to be clear, this "secret girl" actually appears in the prologue (although no one saw her yet) and isn't related to anything heavy that might be counted as five.
Is it the ship?;) Or that village girl in green and white?

4.60 star(s) 34 Votes