kraoro

Jul 9, 2017
I don't know if this is the typical experience, but it's sure as hell not normally expected behavior for a PC game, but does anyone else run slower in desktop mode than VR? I loaded up the desktop version just to download dependencies, expecting it to be faster than the VR version, but EVERYTHING is slower. Menus are way less responsive, loading times are longer, and it hangs when I try to do something as simple as switch from Play to Edit modes.

brasileirinho

Apr 28, 2021
I don't know if this is the typical experience, but it's sure as hell not normally expected behavior for a PC game, but does anyone else run slower in desktop mode than VR? I loaded up the desktop version just to download dependencies, expecting it to be faster than the VR version, but EVERYTHING is slower. Menus are way less responsive, loading times are longer, and it hangs when I try to do something as simple as switch from Play to Edit modes.
That is weird. Maybe the GPU is delivering more FPS, so there is more CPU load and it hangs because it's busy running the physics and stuff? Try to limit the FPS to see if it gets better.

And of course try all that other common sense stuff: Closing all background applications (including your internet browser, since VAM can use all the RAM it can get), check for CPU throttling, update drivers, verify game files, check windows power settings, etc

kraoro

Jul 9, 2017
And of course try all that other common sense stuff
Well, it might be common sense, if my issue wasn't specifically that the flat version runs worse than the VR version, which is not only running at a higher resolution, but is also being rendered twice.

moc587

Jun 6, 2022
Well, it might be common sense, if my issue wasn't specifically that the flat version runs worse than the VR version, which is not only running at a higher resolution, but is also being rendered twice.
i have noticed this too. but only for the general responsiveness and not raw performance like fps. fps is as expected lower in VR than desktop. but the responsiveness for ui elements etc seems to be better in vr. but the difference is not as substantial as you are implying, at least on my pc. have you tried this ?

kraoro

Jul 9, 2017
i have noticed this too. but only for the general responsiveness and not raw performance like fps. fps is as expected lower in VR than desktop. but the responsiveness for ui elements etc seems to be better in vr. but the difference is not as substantial as you are implying, at least on my pc. have you tried this ?
I actually don't know if my framerate or frame timing is lower. Like I said, I literally only launched the desktop version to download missing dependencies, and I didn't actually run any scenes at all. But from the sounds of it, I guess it is normal that the desktop version is less responsive. Which is weird, but at least I feel better knowing it's not just me.

brasileirinho

Apr 28, 2021
Hey guys! Is it OK to use the scenes created with Virt-A-Mate in a new game you are developing?
You need to check the licensing. CC BY can be used. But I would check in the Vam Hub forums. There, they are very uptight about these rules.

Or you can do like those AI companies. Use the content expecting nobody to know where you got it from.

Last edited:

Moses910

Nov 5, 2020
does the latest version of vam no use dependencies? i have a fresh installation of it and i can't find a folder for it. where do i place them now?

SortaLewd

Feb 26, 2019
The game becomes much slower if you have a ton of VARs and afaik the only option you have once you reach that point is reducing the number of VARs you have by loading only what you need, or just dealing with the load times.

brasileirinho

Apr 28, 2021
does the latest version of vam no use dependencies? i have a fresh installation of it and i can't find a folder for it. where do i place them now?
AddonPackages
The game becomes much slower if you have a ton of VARs and afaik the only option you have once you reach that point is reducing the number of VARs you have by loading only what you need, or just dealing with the load times.
The CPU patch improved my load times by a lot. So there is that besides deleting the vars.

bachou

Oct 3, 2022
could anyone tell me how to do these things ?
1: i have downloaded a scene with two characters in it, how do i replace those characters with another characters i have downloaded ?
2 : how do i delete / make a character transparent ?
3 : i downloaded a scene with animation, i then loaded my character, how do i load the animation from the scene ?

Dec 21, 2022
could anyone tell me how to do these things ?
1: i have downloaded a scene with two characters in it, how do i replace those characters with another characters i have downloaded ?
2 : how do i delete / make a character transparent ?
3 : i downloaded a scene with animation, i then loaded my character, how do i load the animation from the scene ?
1. Select the Person Atom, shortcut is to click the icon with two people on it, or select a part of it and 'select root'. Then you can either click 'Load Look' in the Control tab, or load a preset in the 'Appearance Preset'. Where you'll find your looks depends on if the .vars you download have saved presets in them or not.

But the best way is to download the BrowserAssist-plugin, then you can either import a preset directly from a specific scene, or list the presets, all of this is a much better UI than the default browsers.

2. Same as above, select the person and in the same Control tab, click the Remove button. Or you can download GoingGoingGone-plugin and you can make parts of a character transparent/invisible.

3. Some scenes starts animation immediately on load, others require you to press the play button, but most newer scenes have buttons to toggle start and reset and such. Some require you to press some button, usually F3 for those I've seen.

If you want the animations in other scenes, then you will have to export the timeline script, if it is using that and load it into the other scenes character, too much hassle.

Reactions: Safsaf_Del_Rey

bachou

Oct 3, 2022
i have downloaded some characters but they don't show up when i want to replace them, when i tried to save them it saved as a json and jpeg, i do have the .var file in AddonPackages but they don't show up

Inhumanins

Dec 7, 2021
Cap your framerate to 60 or whatever you feel confident with.
Don't use soft body physics and set the physics update rate to 2.
Add naturalis to the female atom for some immersion with low to no impact.
Reduce max pixel lights to 2 or disable all light sources and only use one single center light from the "focus on me" session plugin. Disabling all ligths can be done within focus on me with one click.
This alone will boost your fps significantly. You can also set the hair quality by each peace to fast, this reduces the shadows within hair layers and may look bad with more lights turned on but also gives quite a fps boost.
When it still hitches, your cpu could be the problem.
Make sure to use the CPU fix from the .
If you are playing in VR there is also a FSR mod for vam which gives a sharper image than before but on a lower resolution.
The 3050 is equal to my 1070 I've previously used in VR and it was alright.
I got 40-50fps with rare lags (no heavy 3+ person scenes) which is totally fine.
I see..., i already tried the cpu fix, that help me well..., I got like 40-60fps right now.

I don't know if this scene is heavy, but I'm using ABC tits (hip dance), vamgrandfather (a lot of it), and my FPS was stuck at 50. I feel like the FPS drop is caused by the character I loaded. It ran smoothly 60fps during the initial scene, but after I replaced the female character with mine, the fps drop into 40fps-50fps.

4.70 star(s) 17 Votes