Dec 21, 2022
So, I've been under the impression that .vars are required to be named in a very specific way, '[creator].[package].[version].var' according to the values in the meta.json file to be able to found by the game. But when I double check with a quick tool, this doesn't seem to be the case any longer? I'm still able to find scenes, plugins and what not that does not follow this convention.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
But when I double check with a quick tool, this doesn't seem to be the case any longer?
This is still the only valid naming for *.VAR files. And any officially approved *.VAR file available from the Hub will fit this naming convention.

...but they don't show up when i want to replace them...
Depends on how the creator of the character you've downloaded decided to make the character available within VaM. Some *.VAR files only contain a scene with the character, so you'll have to load up the scene, select the character, and save its look or appearance to use it. Some creators only provide appearance presets or looks instead, which you could use directly on any character. So you'll have to figure out what the *.VAR file includes (a scene, a preset, or a look) and proceed accordingly.

Velcrofly

Jan 25, 2021
The game becomes much slower if you have a ton of VARs and afaik the only option you have once you reach that point is reducing the number of VARs you have by loading only what you need, or just dealing with the load times.
There is also a tip I found on here of deleting the cache. I had an almost full external drive. I tried that tip and after it was half empty again. The tip explains it better than I could but VAR seems to cahe a lot of files for future use. I didn't notice a significant slowdown in load time after deleting the cache.

SortaLewd

Feb 26, 2019
There is also a tip I found on here of deleting the cache. I had an almost full external drive. I tried that tip and after it was half empty again. The tip explains it better than I could but VAR seems to cahe a lot of files for future use. I didn't notice a significant slowdown in load time after deleting the cache.
I actually turned caching off a while ago to see if that'd help with my memory filling up. I have 32gb ram and when I check task manager it's up at 90+% when running VaM.

AddonPackages

The CPU patch improved my load times by a lot. So there is that besides deleting the vars.
Oh yeah, I'm also running the CPU patch, forgot to mention it. By chance, do you experience any crashes? I have been experiencing a bunch, not sure if it's due to wonky session plugins I might have, or if I just have too many VARs(I have 7.2k lol).

Dec 21, 2022
This is still the only valid naming for *.VAR files. And any officially approved *.VAR file available from the Hub will fit this naming convention.
Yes, but why do they still show up in game if they have invalid names? Previously I've downloaded vars and been told to rename them, yet, I now found scenes, plugins, etc that still show up correctly with incorrect names?
Ex.

VL_13.Business_Blazer.1.var > VL_13.Business_Dress
14mhz.Plugin-AutoFlutterGenitals.1.var > 14mhz.AutoFlutterGenitals
vvvevevvv.Tekky_Cat_Outfit_no_preset.1.var > vvvevevvv.Tekky_Cat_Outfit
Dnaddr.AbbyCyberStyleHD_v1.1.var > Dnaddr.Abby(CyberStyle)HD_v1

Last one might be if it disregards special characters, it matches with spaces being replaced by _ as well so that might be it, but the others are pretty wrong with extra text in them.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
how can i find the right morph when vam cant find the right missing var packages for example like these?
What do you mean by "VaM can't find the right packages" -- is it because there are no open/unresolved dependencies at all? Or are there, but those packages are not hosted on the VaM Hub because they're paid ones?

In either way, you should read the description of the scene you downloaded and which gives you those errors, because in most cases the description lists all/most additional (paid/unpaid) packages this scene relies on. And when there are paid packages mentioned, you could either subscribe to those creators to download the package in question, or see if you can "find them elsewhere"...

mikeriko

Aug 21, 2021
What do you mean by "VaM can't find the right packages" -- is it because there are no open/unresolved dependencies at all? Or are there, but those packages are not hosted on the VaM Hub because they're paid ones?

In either way, you should read the description of the scene you downloaded and which gives you those errors, because in most cases the description lists all/most additional (paid/unpaid) packages this scene relies on. And when there are paid packages mentioned, you could either subscribe to those creators to download the package in question, or see if you can "find them elsewhere"...
what im try to say is that i already grab all the required dependencies but this timeline error (which seem to be missing morphs right?) still pop up so are there anyway we can do to get those morph?

ergo36

Oct 24, 2021
what im try to say is that i already grab all the required dependencies but this timeline error (which seem to be missing morphs right?) still pop up so are there anyway we can do to get those morph?
I search for .vmi files inside my VARs library that contain the morph description text in the errors. So for the first one I would search for "AA Mouth Kiss 1". First result was "AshAuryn.AshAuryn_Sexpressions_2_Point_0.4.var". Depending of how you have catalogued your VARs it might take a while. If they are all in a folder and you have tons of them that will take time. But if you put some morph collections VARs in a folder and search only them then it will be quicker. If you don't collect all the VARs then it's going to be difficult.

If you find the morph then you have to make the problematic scene load it. Here are some ways:

* Copy the morphs inside your "VAM_Folder\Custom\Atom\Person\Morphs\" and appropriate subfolder female, male, female_genitelia, male_genitelia. The good thing, this will make the morph available to all scenes without any further edits. The bad thing, this will make the morph available to all scenes and as VAM gets slower with many morphs this will impact performance with many morphs.

* Add the VAR containing the morphs as dependency in the meta.json of the problematic VAR scene. The VAR containing the morphs must have "preloadMorphs" : "true" in its meta.json.

* Copy the morphs inside your problematic VAR scene and in the appropriate folder. Change the meta.json of the problematic VAR scene to have "preloadMorphs" : "true".

One last method that I haven't yet tested and seems to be the one with the least performance caveats but with the most work. I want to have just one copy of each morph in one or more VARs and with "preloadMorphs" : "false". Each scene will have one or more of those VARs as dependencies. To solve the Timeline errors and to load those missing morphs I would add these morphs in the morph section of the scene in their default/neutral values. If that was managed then each scene would load only the morphs needed.

Choose your poison from above.
I also welcome any better solution from anyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeriko

moc587

Jun 6, 2022
Hi guys. Please tell me. Is it possible to transfer my character from Daz G9 to Vam? And if so, how to do it?
Yes you can. you have to wrap G9 to Gen2 model, which vam uses, then turn it into morph. i use r3ds wrap. try these two guides and . there are other ways to do it but r3ds wrap seems to the best afaik.

Reactions: IPRA
4.70 star(s) 17 Votes