santigr27

Jul 26, 2017
Probably because being hypocrital is a bad thing and being cynical isn't. Not only you can consume and criticise things you don't fully enjoy but you probably should do that. Criticism and improvemnt, that's how progress works.
I think you're a little confused. One can criticize elements of a product that are not to your liking and that need to be improved from your point of view, because that is the objective of the criticism. However, being cynical can not be considered as a positive aspect as you emphasize, because this is based on an attitude of the person who cheekily lies and defends or practices in a blatant, impudent and dishonest way something that deserves general disapproval.

To say that there are parts of a game you like, that within your consideration should be improved is being critical and is intended to find a more optimal game for the public. But saying that the author has little professionalism, that he does not deserve more financial support, that people should not play his games anymore because he is not trustworthy, and still enjoy his product for the simple fact of being able to get it for free on this website it is to be inconsistent with your words, and that is exactly one aspect that is strongly criticized in this thread. That just implies that you attack the author for a negative aspect that ultimately you also possess.

So no, it's not wrong to criticize a game, but it's also not okay to be cynical and inconsistent with your words, making yourself not trustworthy to other people.

halil123

May 23, 2017
Eh, whenever a game is close to release it's F95 thread loses it's mind.
The dev said the next release will be in about a week and will cover two days and two nights (twice the size of the last one). There will also be a number of multiple path options like the tennis event.
The game has been "close to release" for 8 months.

The dev didn't say twice the size, quit being a shill.

Raziel_8

Engaged Member
Dec 4, 2017
I think you're a little confused. One can criticize elements of a product that are not to your liking and that need to be improved from your point of view, because that is the objective of the criticism. However, being cynical can not be considered as a positive aspect as you emphasize, because this is based on an attitude of the person who cheekily lies and defends or practices in a blatant, impudent and dishonest way something that deserves general disapproval.

To say that there are parts of a game you like, that within your consideration should be improved is being critical and is intended to find a more optimal game for the public. But saying that the author has little professionalism, that he does not deserve more financial support, that people should not play his games anymore because he is not trustworthy, and still enjoy his product for the simple fact of being able to get it for free on this website it is to be inconsistent with your words, and that is exactly one aspect that is strongly criticized in this thread. That just implies that you attack the author for a negative aspect that ultimately you also possess.

So no, it's not wrong to criticize a game, but it's also not okay to be cynical and inconsistent with your words, making yourself not trustworthy to other people.
Either u don't understand what the people said bevor, or u don't want to understand, to make this short and easy.

-They criticize not the game but the dev, for the simple reason : his work ethic need's to be improved, to say it in ur words.
-They say to stop donations because that is the only way to give the dev some motivation to improve said work ethic.
-No one said that people should stop playing the game.

-And as u said ''One can criticize elements of a product (the dev in this case) that are not to your liking and that need to be improved''

santigr27

Jul 26, 2017
Either u don't understand what the people said bevor, or u don't want to understand, to make this short and easy.

-They criticize not the game but the dev, for the simple reason : his work ethic need's to be improved, to say it in ur words.
-They say to stop donations because that is the only way to give the dev some motivation to improve said work ethic.
-No one said that people should stop playing the game.

-And as u said ''One can criticize elements of a product (the dev in this case) that are not to your liking and that need to be improved''
Thanks for the reply. Here's my words:

1- You are right, his work ethic need's to be improved, focused on improving the communication with his public.
2- I prefer to refer on this point to make his finacial supporters more demanding in compliance with the dates proposed to deliver the product, that related to the issues with the internal communication. Altough as a personal stance, I do not pay much attention to the time that takes to get an update without first taking into account the quality with which it comes out as I have said in previous comments, so my final evaluation depends on the characteristics that it presents and not before I even get it in my desk.
3- Here is the problem. When a person insists on stopping financially supporting a product but in turn takes advantage of it for the simple fact that it can be obtained for free, there is a problem of consistency and ethics. How can you criticize a product and the way it has been created, when at the same time you enjoy its benefits? You were not upset with the way its development is being carried out? It is here when I begin to speak of the subject of cynicism. I know that downloading a game in a pirated site does not bring monetary benefits to the author, but even so here is where we enter in the subject of how consistent you are with your thoughts. If this were really the case, the people who are against their way of working of the dev would not play the game until they saw that the author keeps his words and that he has improved the aspects that they emphasize.

I think that people believe that I support the fact that the author has lied several times, which is false and if you want you can search if I have ever defended this position. What I did was point out that I prefer to criticize his work and the time it took to deliver it at the time when I can check the quality of the game by myself, and if it was worth so much waiting. Even so, I remain firm with my position that you can be critical of what you want, but in turn you must demonstrate that you are consistent with your thoughts.

rangaru

Jun 25, 2017
However, being cynical can not be considered as a positive aspect as you emphasize, because this is based on an attitude of the person who cheekily lies and defends or practices in a blatant, impudent and dishonest way something that deserves general disapproval.
Wasnt it be faster to just write u don't know what the cynical mean?:unsure:

santigr27

Jul 26, 2017
Wasnt it be faster to just write u don't know what the cynical mean?:unsure:
In that quote I explained what being cynical mean. I don't know if you want to just to make fun of an element that I have explained in the same quote that you used (what it shows a lack of reading comprehension), or you just don't have a way to refute my statement. Too bad in both cases.

PS: Fun fact, I have seen that you write in a similar way that this dear user here:

Wasnt it be faster to just write u don't know what the hypocrite mean?:unsure:
I hope that you have been taking him as an inspiration for your comment and not that you two are the same person. That have happened before in this forum too :ROFLMAO:

• Angry
Reactions: halil123

rangaru

Jun 25, 2017
In that quote I explained what being cynical mean.
You wrote what you think cynical means. In the matter of fact "cynical" means distrustful person or a person which is mainly motivated by it's own (or it's ingroup) self-interest with little regard to general interest. There is a difference in meaning between "being cynical" and "cynicaly doing something". First is neutral, second is mostly regarded as bad.

santigr27

Jul 26, 2017
You wrote what you think cynical means. In the matter of fact "cynical" means distrustful person or a person which is mainly motivated by it's own (or it's ingroup) self-interest with little regard to general interest. There is a difference in meaning between "being cynical" and "cynicaly doing something". First is neutral, second is mostly regarded as bad.
Here is the translated version of the RAE of what cynicism means:
"Shamelessness in lying or in the defense and practice of vituperable actions or doctrines."

This is what I wrote: " However, being cynical can not be considered as a positive aspect as you emphasize, because this is based on an attitude of the person who cheekily lies and defends or practices in a blatant, impudent and dishonest way something that deserves general disapproval". Can you see how they relate?

Because of this, I think there is a serious procedural error in your sentence. How is being cynical neutral but cynicaly doing something wrong? In both cases you encompass the term cynicism, which is a deplorable aspect. While the first definition you give refers to this term, the second one refers rather to a selfish person, which differs from this term. Still, it's very sad that you think that being cynical can be considered neutral. However, thanks for your reply.

Last edited:

rangaru

Jun 25, 2017
Here is the translated version of the RAE of what cynicism means:
I would really suggest checking english dictionary when discussing something with english. I'm not native english speaker either so I also made mistake of directly translating sentences from my language many times.

Reactions: santigr27

santigr27

Jul 26, 2017
rangaru You are right in this part and I will take this in consideration for future use, thanks :). I am not a native english speaker too. However, you have not refuted my position.

Anyway, it is good to discuss these issues and it is interesting how this relates to the way certain products are developed and how people who consume them think.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017
rangaru You are right in this part and I will take this in consideration for future use, thanks :). I am not a native english speaker too. However, you have not refuted my position.

Anyway, it is good to discuss these issues and it is interesting how this relates to the way certain products are developed and how people who consume them think.
Hi. First of all, I want to commend you for your way of communicating disagreement. I really, really like that you take the time to develop your points (even if I disagree with some of them) and most importantly, never attack the person rather than the statement. I believe this speaks very well about your way of communicating.

I have found two points in which I disagree regarding what you previously said.

First! Definition of cynicism: I'm surprised you used the Spanish definition of it when speaking english. I figure it's because, just as me, you speak native Spanish. My problem with this is that since most people here speak english natively/have learnt english, it's highly lkely they mean the english definition of the word. I have searched and found that cynicism is described as " an inclination to believe that people are motivated purely by self-interest; scepticism." by both Google dictionary and english Wikipedia. As we can see, saying someone is cynical is not bad if one alludes to this definition.

Second! Hypocrisy when criticising and author yet still freely playing the game. You claim, I believe, that playing the game is incompatible with the discontent thrown around at Irph here, so I'm inclined to believe then that playing the game means supporting the author and what he's doing now. My problem with this is a) most people complaining here have been following the game since the beginning or close to. When it started quality was the same and updates were much more frequent. You said " How can you criticize a product and the way it has been created, when at the same time you enjoy its benefits? ". The actual product was not created in-between delays and what many call lies, so the idea that you can only enjoy the game only if you agree with how it's being created now clashes with how it has been created since the first msix or seven updates.
The other thing was that pirating the game supports the dev. I believe that not to be the case because almost every pirated game installer tells you to support the game if you lke it by buying/donating. They say that because pirating the game is not supporting it. Even F95 now has disclaimers that explicit this everytime you follow a download link. Since most people here don't want to support the devs unprofessionalism, I find no contradictions between their stance and pirating the game.

I look forward to what counters you can find to my arguments! I'm new at this, so knowing you'll probably not attack me and actually engage me is what motivated me to write this wall of text. Stay safe.

4.10 star(s) 267 Votes