3.30 star(s) 67 Votes

hitman225

Sep 6, 2019
Just saw a guy rated 2 stars for this game in his review. He is quite serious about the character relationship building. Well, he got a point on this, but his standard is quite high though ... maybe a guy from film directing school, I think. :p

Like him, I was once mind-blown by Spaced Out because the character relationship kept changing a little bit by a little bit during the time passing in that game. It created a lot of kinds of tension for player , with the limit space, killing presure from AI/robot, step family issue, unknow voice giving orders, digging out other member's desire, gaining pleasure from surprise, and seeing other characters to expose their history and to break what held them back from going farther.

So far the Water World is an easier game for player's mind. It is easier for the MC and player to make decisions inside the game, by watching the MC to take advantage from everyone else inside the game.

Obviously the developer can handle different kind of themes and make funny and interesting stories. That's why he deserves high rated.

xhoni spica

Donor
Aug 9, 2017
Do anyone have problem with compressed version 19.5 game crash while see
the scene with Mei and young Amelia and MC.

EZ8lt

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2019
There's quite a few inconsitencies now that the Amelia is Greg's mother thing has been changed. Ik ik the Patreon laws but then things should've been changed more carefully regarding to the backstories, because right now, we have a young Amelia, that looks like the old one, but has no blood relations to her, because Lana is the daughter of Rebecca, and the only way this would make any actual sense if young Amelia is Greg's daughter, making her Amelias actual granddaughter by blood. Of course there's the "because of plot" explanation, but that's simply stupid without a proper explanation. The Evelyn thing was similar to this, which were explained with the whole chip thing, but honestly that came off as weak, and just made the main character look like a dumbfuck.

Also someone could explain why should I (main char) should give a fleeting fuck about Lana, after all that happened on the Antares? She could spend another 20 years imprisoned for all I care. Even Rebecca haven't trusted her in the "story so far", and now they are hellbent on getting her back, the Lana who decided to bring fucking Susan into the other world.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
game crash and close, in this dialogue of scene ii took a screenshot but the i have only the log txt file i dont see any crash txt i look at the all folder in game. View attachment 510416
When it crashes it doesn't bring up a grey screen with a bunch of text? That's the interesting stuff. Use the copy button at the bottom of that screen, then paste into a spoiler here.

xhoni spica

Donor
Aug 9, 2017
When it crashes it doesn't bring up a grey screen with a bunch of text? That's the interesting stuff. Use the copy button at the bottom of that screen, then paste into a spoiler here.
I understand what are you saying but no dont apear anything, game just dont respond and close.
here is a save point to take a look i dont know if it is the same for non compressed version.

Ranger

'Water World' developer
Game Developer
Jul 30, 2017
I understand what are you saying but no dont apear anything, game just dont respond and close.
here is a save point to take a look i dont know if it is the same for non compressed version.
Recently there have been quite a few people complaining that various games started manifesting this issue (Application Not Responding). What works for me (though not for my game, because strangely enough it runs fine on my machine) is to right click on the .exe file and choose 'Run with graphics processor -> High performance NVIDIA'. I have both Intel integrated graphics and a discrete nVidia card on my laptop, so by default RenPy games run in the Intel card. I guess at some point Intel released an update to their drivers with something that broke compatibility with RenPy games.

Hope this helps you if you also have a multiple GPU machine.

dce8383

Aug 25, 2017
My game also crashed and closed after the repeatable scene in the afternoon with Mai and Young Amelia, after all the other quests are done. Same point as the previous screenshot. I have dedicated graphics card (AMD Radeon HD 5850) in a desktop, so no Intel graphics anywhere.

In the log.txt file, the only thing interesting is this, though I don't think it's related:
Couldn't import angle renderer:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "J:\Games\WaterWorld-0.19.5-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 1911, in make_draw
__import__(mod)
File "gltexture.pxd", line 28, in init renpy.angle.gldraw
File "gltexture.pyx", line 1, in init renpy.angle.gltexture
ImportError: No module named gl
Unknown renderer: angle

Edit:

In the code, I tried skipping "ldeckso sc aml mei 14", and the game ran normally. I am using the compressed version, so maybe it's an issue with compressing this file: "game/images/events yachtso/anim ldeckso sc aml mei 14.webm" (file size 657 bytes) Crazygamer43

Last edited:

Ranger

'Water World' developer
Game Developer
Jul 30, 2017
There's quite a few inconsitencies now that the Amelia is Greg's mother thing has been changed. Ik ik the Patreon laws but then things should've been changed more carefully regarding to the backstories, because right now, we have a young Amelia, that looks like the old one, but has no blood relations to her, because Lana is the daughter of Rebecca, and the only way this would make any actual sense if young Amelia is Greg's daughter, making her Amelias actual granddaughter by blood. Of course there's the "because of plot" explanation, but that's simply stupid without a proper explanation. The Evelyn thing was similar to this, which were explained with the whole chip thing, but honestly that came off as weak, and just made the main character look like a dumbfuck.

Also someone could explain why should I (main char) should give a fleeting fuck about Lana, after all that happened on the Antares? She could spend another 20 years imprisoned for all I care. Even Rebecca haven't trusted her in the "story so far", and now they are hellbent on getting her back, the Lana who decided to bring fucking Susan into the other world.
First of all, forget Spaced Out's character relations. After all, this game is gone from Patreon for this very reason, so I had to change it up a bit for Water World.

With that in mind, here is an explanation about the relationship of the characters in the game the way I'm making it and the way you can download it from Patreon. I'm not going to discuss any mods you might have installed along with the game. If they are not downloaded from my account in Patreon, they are to be considered 'unsupported' by me.

The young Amelia is the daughter of Lana and the son of the older Amelia (not the MC). This makes both Rebecca and the other Amelia her grandmothers. The MC and Lana were colleagues and working for the older Amelia, he is not related to neither of the Amelias, Rebecca, Lana or whomever you meet in the game. Consider him an orphan with no brothers, sisters, cousins, grandparents, aunts, uncles, dogs, cats or hamsters... he might have had a hamster when he was a kid, but it got out of it's cage and the cat ate it... and that's the neighbor's cat, not his. He didn't have a cat.

Now, where was I... Oh yeah - he had a relationship with his boss on the station (the older Amelia) and obviously likes the young one too. Initially he was hesitant to do anything about it, because he was worried that he might be in the past (the older Amelia mentioned being on a boat trip with her fellow students when she was young) and he could somehow mess up the future. Once he learned that this is not the case, he didn't have any issues having sex with her.

The young Amelia gives (in your own words) 'a fleeting fuck' about Lana because she's her mother. Knowing what Megan wants to do (re-build the machine and fuck up all of you), rescuing Lana is the only way you can stop her from doing that. Rebecca knows this, Amelia knows this, so regardless of what happened on the station, and even if we forget about their relationship with her (again Rebecca is her mother and Amelia is... for the lack of a better term, her mother-in-law) or the fact that Lana spent the last 20 years preparing for the moment you three arrive in this universe, they know that it's in their interest to rescue her. And I'm not saying that you should forget those facts, I'm saying that even if you do, it's understandable that they give 'a fleeting fuck'. And the MC should too.

Reactions: hitman225

EZ8lt

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2019
First of all, forget Spaced Out's character relations. After all, this game is gone from Patreon for this very reason, so I had to change it up a bit for Water World.

With that in mind, here is an explanation about the relationship of the characters in the game the way I'm making it and the way you can download it from Patreon. I'm not going to discuss any mods you might have installed along with the game. If they are not downloaded from my account in Patreon, they are to be considered 'unsupported' by me.

The young Amelia is the daughter of Lana and the son of the older Amelia (not the MC). This makes both Rebecca and the other Amelia her grandmothers. The MC and Lana were colleagues and working for the older Amelia, he is not related to neither of the Amelias, Rebecca, Lana or whomever you meet in the game. Consider him an orphan with no brothers, sisters, cousins, grandparents, aunts, uncles, dogs, cats or hamsters... he might have had a hamster when he was a kid, but it got out of it's cage and the cat ate it... and that's the neighbor's cat, not his. He didn't have a cat.

Now, where was I... Oh yeah - he had a relationship with his boss on the station (the older Amelia) and obviously likes the young one too. Initially he was hesitant to do anything about it, because he was worried that he might be in the past (the older Amelia mentioned being on a boat trip with her fellow students when she was young) and he could somehow mess up the future. Once he learned that this is not the case, he didn't have any issues having sex with her.

The young Amelia gives (in your own words) 'a fleeting fuck' about Lana because she's her mother. Knowing what Megan wants to do (re-build the machine and fuck up all of you), rescuing Lana is the only way you can stop her from doing that. Rebecca knows this, Amelia knows this, so regardless of what happened on the station, and even if we forget about their relationship with her (again Rebecca is her mother and Amelia is... for the lack of a better term, her mother-in-law) or the fact that Lana spent the last 20 years preparing for the moment you three arrive in this universe, they know that it's in their interest to rescue her. And I'm not saying that you should forget those facts, I'm saying that even if you do, it's understandable that they give 'a fleeting fuck'. And the MC should too.
I see what you mean now. Thing is I never used any mods for SU or WW, so the relationships in both games should go by default. I guess you mean that the young Amelias parents are Lana, and a character that is the son of older Amelia, someone who wasn't really mentioned so far. This clears it up, but still in my opinion, you should now make a few adjustments to both to the "story so far", and to the ongoing story sections.

In the story so far, it was never mentioned that older Amelia had some son, only that the MC and Jack were on the station. In Lanas video message, she mentioned a guy that helped her escape the station, but the story so far content doesn't really support that, neither the fact that she left out the alternative universe part, so whoever plays the game can understand that part, as that WW Lana got pregnant by some guy on the station that helped her, not that in the dude existed in the original universe. Later on, I don't remember older Amelia or Rebecca mentioning a son from older Amelias part either, we just got the bomb dropped that younger Amelias mother is original Lana, not the WW one. This I think creates confusion as far as the relationships goes, and could be solved with a few dialogues regarding to the matter in-game and in the "story so far" section as well.

I understood why Rebecca or younger Amelia would want to save Lana as she is family, and that stopping Megan is imperative for the whole group (although I don't think we got a timeframe as to when Megan arrived into the WW universe and how exactly Lana prepared for the others arrival and when was she captured, I guess that's a story for later parts of the game), but beside that, on a personal level for the MC it still feels as a bit of a stretch. Like I get that he was reluctant to get into a relationship with young Amelia, as he thought it was his former boss at the beginning, but logically that seems weird, because he acknowledged early on that he is in an alternate universe, even in a future. That negates the possibility of fucking up the timeline, which was his reasoning at the beginning. You arrive to an alternative world, to a future where the planet became oceanic instead of terra, if it has any relation to your original world, you can scramble the idea of the timeline not being fucked, for reasons outside of you anyway.

As for the Lana thing, it just feels like he rolls along with the events rather than having his own opinion on the matter, and that was okay for the cruiser, because he was in a situation where he was dependent on them, or with Evelyn now that we know about the implant, but still really doesn't explain his "okay-okay right" attitude in the current situation. Stopping Megan is important, but Lana fucked him over, essentially revived Susan and brought her to this universe, who for the matter is an obvious threat as well, yet raises no concern with the situation. And that would go fine along the line if he forgave at the end of the Antares events, but we don't know that. I don't know if you'd be open to the idea of implementing a choice for the "story so far" part of the game, to decide if the MC forgave Lana, or dismissed her, and branching some of the dialogues into two parts when they talk about her? I think it would improve the overall coherency a lot.

As for the "preparing for 20 years" thing, I'm not sure it should matter for him, as he's only recently arrived, and it's only by pure coincidence that he arrived on the same cruiser where young Amelia was, and it's not like he was any better with what Lana done so far, as he had to tend for himself and was completely dependent on the crew. When he is brought over to the other ship, older Amelia and Rebecca also seemed pretty dismissive about him, or not caring about him at all, at least the that's what I got from the dialogues, and he just yes-mans even that situation.

I don't mean these concerns I have with the game as an offense and I hope you don't take it as one, but as a feedback. These things I mentioned comes off as weird from a writing point of view, and with a VN it's basically the most important thing in it. Other than these things, I enjoy it overall, at most times it's pretty fucking funny.

Ps.: It was the first time that the actual dev of a game replied to me, so thank you for that! :D

hitman225

Sep 6, 2019
The dev sits down quietly and takes a smoke, watching the ceiling and think "it is too hard (to make everyone happy)"...

:coffee::coffee:

--------------

The discussion about the story detail is always interesting and helpful. Even sometimes the discussion was not focusing on the fun part, but more focus on the logical part.

Suddenly I think about this:

The first Matrix made a perfect world and tried to make everyone happy, but it was too good to made people believe it is real. Some people can't live with that, and some finally got escape to Zion. But those people in Zion couldn't find enough fun live in the "real world", so they also come back to the Matrix from time to time, to taste the happy moments which they know it is unreal.

The Architect: Neo, you take it from here.

Last edited:

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017

So...I'm confused.

I though Rebecca fixed it so Megan wouldn't go through to the same universe.

I'm also wondering how Megan could rebuild the machine and get any semblance of the right equations without access to the huge supercomputer on the station or a human equation solver.

I won't ask who makes the patch posted on LewdPatcher, because Patreon. Wink wink nudge nudge.

Ranger

'Water World' developer
Game Developer
Jul 30, 2017
So...I'm confused.

I though Rebecca fixed it so Megan wouldn't go through to the same universe.

I'm also wondering how Megan could rebuild the machine and get any semblance of the right equations without access to the huge supercomputer on the station or a human equation solver.

I won't ask who makes the patch posted on LewdPatcher, because Patreon. Wink wink nudge nudge.
Well, at the end of Spaced Out Rebecca sends Lana ahead and then you three go through. Megan stays behind. The point is - you don't know what happens with her. She might get killed by the commando unit, that is taking over the station (obviously this didn't happen since she's alive), she might have escaped. The point is - we don't know (yet).

Ranger

'Water World' developer
Game Developer
Jul 30, 2017
I see what you mean now. Thing is I never used any mods for SU or WW, so the relationships in both games should go by default. I guess you mean that the young Amelias parents are Lana, and a character that is the son of older Amelia, someone who wasn't really mentioned so far. This clears it up, but still in my opinion, you should now make a few adjustments to both to the "story so far", and to the ongoing story sections.
The dev sits down quietly and takes a smoke, watching the ceiling and think "it is too hard (to make everyone happy)"...

:coffee::coffee:

--------------

The discussion about the story detail is always interesting and helpful. Even sometimes the discussion was not focusing on the fun part, but more focus on the logical part.
First of all - I don't smoke :LOL:. Other than that I always enjoy discussing the story of the game since this means that there are people that actually play the game and not just click through to check out the pictures and animations (for which there is a quicker way to do it using UnRen, or you know... pornhub).

TL8ez as you have probably noticed, the 'story so far' part is a bit outdated. People found it difficult to keep track of the game between updates, so I made this for them (kind of like the thingy at the start of some TV shows). Also the way it is done, it shows a bit of the story for each step you complete. And that bit that you learned on step 4, you might learn to be false on step 8. Currently both will be shown creating a bit of confusion. Tiding those things up is extremely time consuming and don't bring value to the finished game (since 'the story so far' will be shown only at the beginning, because once the game is finished there will no longer be monthly updates). With the amount of stuff I have to do and with the release schedule I'm trying to keep up with, this part of the game is low priority because it serves only temporary function while the game is being developed.

Bonhomie

Aug 20, 2018
I am experiencing a crash which may be similar to the one reported earlier.
I am playing version 19.5 and have completed all the quests.
I am with Young Amelia and Mei on the lower deck and the game just shuts down completely and the strange thing is that - even though I have made a 'save' just before the crash point - when I opened it up again the game offered me the save point from when I started playing with this version.
Usually Renpy remembers where your 'last' save was, when you last 'quit' the game..

There is an animation running and Mei says; "Yes, I like it so much!"

Then the screen goes black and there is a text line only:
Mei: I'm ... I'm gonna cum."
which shows for a second or two, then the game dies.

Very strange?

Reactions: Bellyk Franck

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
I am experiencing a crash which may be similar to the one reported earlier.
I am playing version 19.5 and have completed all the quests.
I am with Young Amelia and Mei on the lower deck and the game just shuts down completely and the strange thing is that - even though I have made a 'save' just before the crash point - when I opened it up again the game offered me the save point from when I started playing with this version.
Usually Renpy remembers where your 'last' save was, when you last 'quit' the game..

There is an animation running and Mei says; "Yes, I like it so much!"

Then the screen goes black and there is a text line only:
Mei: I'm ... I'm gonna cum."
which shows for a second or two, then the game dies.

Very strange?
First, let me clear up a misconception - Ren'Py does have autosaves, but there's no guarantee that it will be right before you quit. They're meant as an emergency backup, not as the way to play the game. Before you quit you should manually save.

Now, the crash. Does it put up a grey screen with a bunch of text? If so, use the copy button at the bottom, then paste here in a spoiler.

Bonhomie

Aug 20, 2018
First, let me clear up a misconception - Ren'Py does have autosaves, but there's no guarantee that it will be right before you quit. They're meant as an emergency backup, not as the way to play the game. Before you quit you should manually save.

Now, the crash. Does it put up a grey screen with a bunch of text? If so, use the copy button at the bottom, then paste here in a spoiler.

I was talking about my manual saves. Renpy reverts to the last manual save usually when you quit - this time it was reverting to the last save I made at the end of playing the previous version.
It was like I had not played at all this time.

No grey screen with unexpected error or exception - just immediate shut down.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
I was talking about my manual saves. Renpy reverts to the last manual save usually when you quit - this time it was reverting to the last save I made at the end of playing the previous version.
It was like I had not played at all this time.

No grey screen with unexpected error or exception - just immediate shut down.
Try saving before the crash, then quitting. Relaunch the game, load the save, and see if it crashes.

An immediate shutdown is probably an issue with your system or with the Ren'Py libraries (which would mean a corrupted installation). See if there's a log file in the game's folder.

99+% of the time when someone talks about a Ren'Py crash, they mean it goes to the error screen, not the game just quits. The best way to get quick accurate tech support is to describe the issue in detail.

Ranger

'Water World' developer
Game Developer
Jul 30, 2017
My game also crashed and closed after the repeatable scene in the afternoon with Mai and Young Amelia, after all the other quests are done. Same point as the previous screenshot. I have dedicated graphics card (AMD Radeon HD 5850) in a desktop, so no Intel graphics anywhere.

In the log.txt file, the only thing interesting is this, though I don't think it's related:
Couldn't import angle renderer:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "J:\Games\WaterWorld-0.19.5-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 1911, in make_draw
__import__(mod)
File "gltexture.pxd", line 28, in init renpy.angle.gldraw
File "gltexture.pyx", line 1, in init renpy.angle.gltexture
ImportError: No module named gl
Unknown renderer: angle

Edit:

In the code, I tried skipping "ldeckso sc aml mei 14", and the game ran normally. I am using the compressed version, so maybe it's an issue with compressing this file: "game/images/events yachtso/anim ldeckso sc aml mei 14.webm" (file size 657 bytes) Crazygamer43
Yeah - none of my code is in the call trace, so it's either an issue with some of the files or an issue with the game engine itself (which I can't fix :( )

3.30 star(s) 67 Votes