3.30 star(s) 67 Votes

walkerjonny

Apr 22, 2019
The patched script is working fine. Thanks!
I really like this game because of it's story.
However, there's quite some room for improvement when it comes to the animations.

• Way too many close-ups
  • Human eyes aren't single focus cameras which blur out everything else that isn't in the main focus. The animation rendering should focus on how human viewers usually see.
  • More focus on the action itself and not on body parts wich aren't in the main role right now.
    If you want to show feet then maybe make a feet job scene. And it isn't funny if an arm blocks the view onto where the main action happens. Maybe chose another angle in such a case.
  • Maybe also focus more on how human bodies move naturally. Push actions are usually often a bit faster than pull actions. And breasts are soft body parts and therefore don't have a static movement together with the whole body. Even asses are also partially soft body parts which move a bit differently compared to the rest of the body. And usually human heads don't seesaw synchronous to the asses.
  • Also the animation should visualize what the characters talk about. When they talk about deep penetration then animating a short penetration makes no sense.
Honestly, I think the animations in Spaced Out were somewhat better as they are now in the way how they were directed at least. Don't focus that much on the quantity of the animations. The quality of them is often even more important. Better a few good animations than a lot of mediocre ones.

This critique isn't meant as a rant but as a honet suggestion on how to improve the game.

Reactions: Ranger

Ranger

'Water World' developer
Game Developer
Jul 30, 2017
The patched script is working fine. Thanks!
I really like this game because of it's story.
However, there's quite some room for improvement when it comes to the animations.

• Way too many close-ups
  • Human eyes aren't single focus cameras which blur out everything else that isn't in the main focus. The animation rendering should focus on how human viewers usually see.
  • More focus on the action itself and not on body parts wich aren't in the main role right now.
    If you want to show feet then maybe make a feet job scene. And it isn't funny if an arm blocks the view onto where the main action happens. Maybe chose another angle in such a case.
  • Maybe also focus more on how human bodies move naturally. Push actions are usually often a bit faster than pull actions. And breasts are soft body parts and therefore don't have a static movement together with the whole body. Even asses are also partially soft body parts which move a bit differently compared to the rest of the body. And usually human heads don't seesaw synchronous to the asses.
  • Also the animation should visualize what the characters talk about. When they talk about deep penetration then animating a short penetration makes no sense.
Honestly, I think the animations in Spaced Out were somewhat better as they are now in the way how they were directed at least. Don't focus that much on the quantity of the animations. The quality of them is often even more important. Better a few good animations than a lot of mediocre ones.

This critique isn't meant as a rant but as a honet suggestion on how to improve the game.
Thanks for the input. Those are all valid points, but let me tell you the reasons for most of them. The game is not my main source of income - the $ amount is public on Patreon, so everyone can check and see roughly how much I get at the beginning of each month. So between my family, my daily job which pays for my bills and the food on my table and the game, I can spare around a couple of hours per day for the game usually when the kids have already went to bed (it may come as a surprise, but making the game is not exactly "family-friendly" activity :ROFLMAO:) In those couple of hours I need to write dialogue (English is not my native language, so it's not that fast), setup scenes and animations, communicate with the fine people here and on patreon, etc. Also I'm not a 3D artist (or any other kind tbh), so I'm using poses that I buy on renderotica. Some are fine, some are... not so fine. My point is - they all need to be fixed. After I fix them, I start with a single static pose, I have to do the other keyframe(s) to make the animation. Daz is horrible at this. Locking the position of a body part is considered not so much as a 'lock' by Daz, but more like a 'suggestion' - they move around, twist, turn - they do pretty much everything except staying in place. So posing a single animation takes around an hour to do and in the end it's still not good enough because when you have two people with four limbs there is clipping during the animation. With the tight release schedule (two weeks for content-only update) this means I have to 'squeeze' more animations from a single file, otherwise the update will end up with like 10 animations or so. So I need to have 4 or 5 angles for every animation. The style of the animations and the game in general is that you don't see the MC's face. When you combine this with the furniture in the room limiting the available angles, the fact that the pose is not meant to be used in exactly this room, so if you want to have the hands on the desk, the feet are either floating in the air or buried in the ground, the clipping on hands or hair which needs to stay out of the view, the only solution is closeups.

The focus part - again the limiting factor here is the time I have to make each update. Moving focus around means longer animations, because otherwise it leads to nausea on short animations (1-3 seconds). Longer animations mean longer rendering time for each and I'm not running a server farm at home, so I can't render more than one animation at a time. If I have to spend 10 hours rendering a single animation, this means that the two weeks I have for making an update will lead to less content in it.

Blocking the view and teasing the player is part of the game. Not every shot needs to see the 'action'. That's at least my personal opinion on the matter.

IMO natural movement and Daz are mutually exclusive. As I said I'm not a 3D artist, so I can't make shape morphs, etc. - I do the best I can with what I can. Breast movement is somewhat doable because it's posing and not morphing the shape, but naturally squishing the ass (e.g. on doggy) is beyond my abilities.

The dialogue in the sex scenes is one of my 'pain points'. It's the last thing I do and it's usually done on the day I release the update.

"Spaced Out animations" o_O? Were they a thing? It was just a couple of images with transition between them. Animations in Daz became viable only after they released a DLSS denoiser which could remove the grainy noise and have a frame good enough for animation with just 100-200 iray iterations. Spaced Out was done before this could happen.

Sorry if I took away a bit of the "magic" how these kind of games are made. For me the experience of starting my own game was like a visit to a meat processing facility by someone who enjoys having a steak. I've seen things that can't be unseen :oops:.

spooksz

Feb 11, 2020
The game is played from the MCs perspective, so there won't be any detailed description on what happens with John after you get your body back. Also with the game coming to it's end and no continuation of the series planned (for now), there won't be a 'next game' where this can be covered.The story will get it's conclusion, but if at some point in the future I decide to go back to it, I might have this part done as a short side story. We'll see...
Personally it is not that necessary for me. I was just making fun as a fan. : p The story is the story. It is good enough to focus on the important part about MC. The other parts can just go with a "it is alright, I can take it" way. It is good enough for me.

Otherwise, the dev would have to explain every detail about how the machine could get people travel between parallel universes. Let's focus on the fun parts.

So lucky to have such an excellent dev for this game.
Makes sense and i truly get it. But i also keep thinking things like (using the MC perspective): "they are safe?" "the other guy (John) infiltrated the ship like i did on the underwater station?"

Anyway, i totally agree with your opinion and make this words my own :giggle: :

"So lucky to have such an excellent dev for this game.".

Reactions: hitman225

hitman225

Sep 6, 2019
I personally won't try to be a critic unless I actually develop a proper game by myself. It may be the only way to prove that I am qualified to do so and my suggestion would be really practical or helpful.

Not saying people can't critique, but just hope people understand that, the dev made those decisions only becuase it was almost the only and best way he could do. (Just like most of the decisions we made in our owned real lives.)

Last edited:

Ranger

'Water World' developer
Game Developer
Jul 30, 2017
I personally won't try to be a critic unless I actually develop a proper game by myself. It may be the only way to prove that I am qualified to do so and my suggestion would be really practical or helpful.

Not saying people can't critique, but just hope people understand that, the dev made those decisions only becuase it was almost the only and best way he could do. (Just like most of the decisions we made in our owned real lives.)
Actually, input from people that are not biased is really helpful for making a product better. If someone doesn't know what corners you need to cut in order to achieve something they tend to be more... 'honest' is not the right word for it, but let's go with that. They can say "I like this, I don't like that and it would be better for me if it was made in a different way." When you start making those things yourself, you see what it would take to be made in the way you would like it more and you tend to keep your opinion to yourself because you understand that focusing on something takes away time and resources from something else. Having no feedback leaves the development of the game in the dark about what other people find enjoyable and what they would want to see more (or less) in the game.

Ranger

'Water World' developer
Game Developer
Jul 30, 2017
Makes sense and i truly get it. But i also keep thinking things like (using the MC perspective): "they are safe?" "the other guy (John) infiltrated the ship like i did on the underwater station?"

Anyway, i totally agree with your opinion and make this words my own :giggle: :

"So lucky to have such an excellent dev for this game.".
Well as far as the MC is concerned, Susan was there with Rebecca and Amelia when the transfer happened and also she could control the implant connection, so John should not be a threat. Right now MCs focus is on getting access to the mainframe.

Ranger

'Water World' developer
Game Developer
Jul 30, 2017
Anybody know how to get past this or is this currently the versions end?
Your save file can't be opened with the official build. If you click the 'i' icon and all the quests are marked as finished - then yes, this is as far as this version goes

Ranger

'Water World' developer
Game Developer
Jul 30, 2017
holouw rec lex irs school 1.png

0.24.5 first event is done

I've finished making the animations for the first of 0.24.5 events and started with the second one. It's another recording that you'll be able to access from the holo room on the station.

MattShizzle

Oct 31, 2019
I can't get anywhere in this game. The bedroom is ALWAYS locked, nothing happens with anyone. Only played the first day and gave up because I literally can't find a way to do ANYTHING!

• Angry
Reactions: UncleVT

Fallen Angel Productions

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 16, 2017
i'm new to this game does the incest patch need to be updated every version there's so many files that are included in the zip file

MattShizzle

Oct 31, 2019
There really needs to be a better explanation (or one at all) how to do things. This is VERY different from other Ren'py games.

3.30 star(s) 67 Votes