magicnuts

Game Developer
Jan 24, 2019
The "person" is me. It's ok to tag me, by the way. If you want a discussion, that is.

While there are no rigid definitions (which is true for any genre, but more so with sandbox), sandbox games have some defining features and gameplay patterns that Legend decidedly lacks at least right now, and so anyone expecting those will not find any them here, repeating for emphasis, right now. We could go over the list of these patterns if someone's interested. So this isn't about a certain % or absolute amount of content being available in the first version, but rather some mechanics being at least somewhat functional.
I did not tag anyone in particular because the issue of mistagging had been raised by others before.

But those were several weeks ago, and we hadn't give it much thought since.

After reading your review, we agreed that the tags might be misleading. Overpromising and appearing to be using sleazy promotional tactics weren't what we had intended. So thanks for pointing it out, and I'm sorry if you felt misled.

On a different but related topic:
We also agree with some of the other issues you pointed out:
  • The bland writing of the sex scenes was a complete miss that several members here had raised as well. We have already added more writing for 0.2.
  • Our world may appear too large to be realizable. But designing it and coming up with stories to make it come to life is what we've had the most fun doing. It has been one of our biggest motivators. You have a valid point, but game-dev could be tough, and we wanted to make the process as enjoyable as possible.

Thanks again for taking the time to raise these issues. Hopefully, it will help us improve the game.

Last edited:

MarshmallowCasserole

Jun 7, 2018
By that logic and since it's 1st release, there should be like 3-4 tags max .....
... and there's nothing wrong with that. Well, 3 tags is a bit of an exaggeration but 6-7? Yes. In fact, a lot of games are just like that. A lot of completed games are also like that if they aren't catering to multiple fetishes.

Our world may appear too large to be realizable. But designing it and coming up with stories to make it come to life is what we've had the most fun doing. It has been one of our biggest motivators. You have a valid point, but game-dev could be tough, and we wanted to make the process as enjoyable as possible.
Ah, I see you're a worldbuilder as well. ;)

I certainly wish you best of luck in pursuing your passion. It's just, being a bit of a pessimist, I am worried. Burning out halfway through completion is a not so rare a problem and, for obvious reasons, it happens more often to grand epics rather than short stories. Heck, we know several professional writers that are failing to finish their magna opera.

Urusaisenpai

Walkthough-mod Creators are a godsent <3
Donor
Apr 30, 2017
Haven't played it yet, But looks stunning. One thing that crossed my eyes were some of the tags "Pregnancy (optional)"
Should not be optional should be MANDATORY!! Jkjk!

I like the tags imma give this a try next release :)

Omnikuken

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 22, 2018
^ Obviously the extreme scamlord approach, since this'll be their 2nd update ever, gotta milk those suckers early on to establish dev dominance over Patron plebbers

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
I played this game like 2 or 3 months ago and still no update. Its this kind of games where we have an update every 3 months but every update is huge and have a lot of content. Or is like this mf who update every 3 months with 2 lines of text and 1 scene?
This thread started on May 1st so you played it less than 2 months ago and they are aiming for a new update before the end of this month. Considering this is a hand-drawn game (with just 1 person doing all the art from scratch), any update under that 2-3 month span is more than correct. Wait a week and judge for yourself if the amount of content deserves your attention or it's insulting for your high standards

Last edited:

Badjourasmix

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 22, 2017
Goddamn people are starting to complain really early on now. They don't really want to miss the chance to be the first to call devs, scammers.

zerozip0

May 23, 2018
magicnuts Your approach to criticism should be applauded in my humble opinion. It shows that you care about what you are creating, and that is the approach I like the most. I hope the scale of your project does not become too overwhelming for it to see completion!
Regarding worldbuilding, which I myself have some experience with, I find that the most rewarding thing is if people like what has been created and react to it in positive, fun and unforeseen ways! Other media might be better suited for individual playing experiences, but it does apply to games on this site as well!
May the leprechauns and shamrocks bring fortune and glory upon this project!

-ZzZ-

Reactions: Daellhin

ihatefandommemes

Jul 30, 2017
definitely one of the most up and coming games out there, super worth a playthrough! beautiful art, funny and intruiging story, unique playstyle, this game has it all.

Reactions: magicnuts

magicnuts

Game Developer
Jan 24, 2019
magicnuts Your approach to criticism should be applauded in my humble opinion. It shows that you care about what you are creating, and that is the approach I like the most. I hope the scale of your project does not become too overwhelming for it to see completion!
Regarding worldbuilding, which I myself have some experience with, I find that the most rewarding thing is if people like what has been created and react to it in positive, fun and unforeseen ways! Other media might be better suited for individual playing experiences, but it does apply to games on this site as well!
May the leprechauns and shamrocks bring fortune and glory upon this project!

-ZzZ-
Thanks a lot, man. I appreciate it.

I played this game like 2 or 3 months ago and still no update. Its this kind of games where we have an update every 3 months but every update is huge and have a lot of content. Or is like this mf who update every 3 months with 2 lines of text and 1 scene?
We're planning about 30-40 mins of playtime. That is if you read all the text.

Shouldn't take long until the next release.
We're testing, editing, and polishing things. It should be out before the end of June.

Stark9999999

Dec 4, 2017
We're planning about 30-40 mins of playtime. That is if you read all the text.
What's this you say about reading? And not just reading but reading ALL the text? Are you certain I'm not supposed to fast forward through all that pesky text, briefly look at the sex scenes and then complain it was a two minute update?

Great to hear the update is due so soon though. The art is so good that just looking at the artwork, at least for me, seems to add a decent amount more time to the play through. Hoping the script maintains the quality of the first release as well. Looking forward to the update.

boulimanus

Jun 10, 2018
What's this you say about reading? And not just reading but reading ALL the text? Are you certain I'm not supposed to fast forward through all that pesky text, briefly look at the sex scenes and then complain it was a two minute update?
Haha, this sounds familiar... ;)
I sometimes find myself skipping in some games. It's always a sign of a flawed game. Usually a flaw in the story-telling or dialogues in a game with otherwise good looking characters. More often than not, I end up dropping said game after a couple of updates doing that.

What a Legend is not that type of game though and I found myself not skipping one bit. May it long continue being this way.
Looking forward to the update in a few days!

Reactions: Stark9999999

johnelros

Apr 10, 2018

0.2 status + weekly report 8
Hello everybody.

As you probably know, if you have seen the progress tracker, the next version of the game is ready. We are testing and polishing things to ensure that it is as bug-free and smooth on release as we can make it.
Here are a couple of relevant points:

Old saves:
We have tested the game for compatibility of the old save files, and as far as we can tell, in 0.2, you will be able to continue where you left off.

Performance:
0.1 had issues with performance. We've addressed the most severe ones by disabling Ren'py's focus mask on screens with a lot of buttons. We also manually added animated frames to the image cache a few steps before they were called. This should help them load faster and reduce the pause before the animations.

Image quality:
All images in the game are in 90% lossy webp format. This lossy format reduces the image size sometimes up to x5, thus helping performance. However, lossy webp does not handle darker or blurred images very well, and we're not happy with how some of the artworks have turned out.
The upshot of this is that for 0.3, we want to try and resave all the images in a lossless format. We will still have the lossy version for older systems and mobile devices, but that would be an addition and not the main game.

Android Version:
We would like to release an official Android version of 0.2. But we don't have the time to find out how it's done and test it properly to make it bug-free. At least not for 0.2.
But we do understand that many of you like to play the game on a mobile device, and it is on our to-learn and to-do list.

If you're a Close Friend or a Best Friend patron and would like your avatar in the game for 0.2, please send it to us as soon as possible. If you send it after we have built the distributions, it will not be added to the game until 0.3. You can make your avatar . After you've made it, send its code either by a Patreon direct message or by contacting Pistachio on Discord.

Translations:
In 0.2 all texts and variables (including those in the crystal ball) are translatable. We may have missed something; in that case, please do let us know and we'll fix it.
If you would like to translate the game, wait for a few days before releasing your translation. We plan to release a kit that will include blank images of all the visuals of the game that contain texts (e.g., map buttons, Rose's palm-reading, etc.).

The release date:
We will try to release the game on Sunday the 28th. That is our aim. But if we see a bug or something that needs fixing, we would prefer to address it first and not send it to you flawed.
That being said, there shouldn't be any major issues, and we are positive that you will get it before the end of the month.
Once the game is ready, we will send you a link to the download page via Patreon and Discord.

Have a wonderful, wonderful weekend.
Cheers
Chestnut and Pistachio

4.70 star(s) 448 Votes