bingolebongo

May 15, 2020
If I understood you correctly, does this mean you are content with paying for the project sustainability forever without getting any actual game out of it, or do you actually expect some result for your payment in a form of an update? I believe most of the people who pay for developers' patreon do that in hopes of helping the game progress, not to just give them money indefinitely expecting nothing in return, right?
I do hope to get a game back in return, and I will reconsider if it gets to the point where I do not feel that their sustainability leads to them working on the game. It's pretty far from that point at the moment. But I consider any money I spend on e.g. Patreon to be possibly lost - makes me happier in general.

I'm not really very active in this thread any longer, but I will say that most people who come in here to complain have not bothered to read up on anything, they just see that it's been a while since the last update and start whining. Thinking the devs could work harder and that the update takes too long is perfectly fine, and people have voiced that opinion here without getting flamed on. It's just that most people who complain in this thread do so in a shitty manner.

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
A 'fun' fact from the graphtreon data: they are currently earning 8.4k, which is 600 bucks less than just six months ago, and that's not going to improve in the near future. So fear not, patrons keep penalizing them for not releasing an update.

Now, more financial details: Patreon takes at least an 8% of that income, plus other exchange fees that I won't take into account. Then there's VAT, which is a whopping 21% in Spain that Patreon will take from them and give to the Spanish tax authorities - and considering devs' job doesn't really need many inputs, they can't compensate that amount with the VAT they pay for those inputs. That means that they currently have a net revenue of less than 6k per month. Now, they are self-employed, so with their gross income they are forced to pay about 350 bucks each to the Spanish Healthcare, and we are down to 5.3k per month. Of course, they still need to face the Personal Income Tax for their annual revenue, which could mean that they'd need to put aside about the 40% of their income. So in the end they are currently earning about 3.2k, maybe 3.8k per month if they can take advantage of some tax benefits due to them being a family. A family of 4 members, living in Spain. Even if my maths are off for 1k, they are not getting rich with this game, that's for sure.
BUT, BUT... we don't pay enough taxes in Spain!!!

party-raff.gif

They should emigrate to Andorra. Tell them that on my behalf.

That's very accurate. I live in Spain too and I know the pain every single month. :(
Impossible! More taxes are needed! There's never enough money to embezzle and to feed freeloaders!

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
A 'fun' fact from the graphtreon data: they are currently earning 8.4k, which is 600 bucks less than just six months ago, and that's not going to improve in the near future. So fear not, patrons keep penalizing them for not releasing an update.

Now, more financial details: Patreon takes at least an 8% of that income, plus other exchange fees that I won't take into account. Then there's VAT, which is a whopping 21% in Spain that Patreon will take from them and give to the Spanish tax authorities - and considering devs' job doesn't really need many inputs, they can't compensate that amount with the VAT they pay for those inputs. That means that they currently have a net revenue of less than 6k per month. Now, they are self-employed, so with their gross income they are forced to pay about 350 bucks each to the Spanish Healthcare, and we are down to 5.3k per month. Of course, they still need to face the Personal Income Tax for their annual revenue, which could mean that they'd need to put aside about the 40% of their income. So in the end they are currently earning about 3.2k, maybe 3.8k per month if they can take advantage of some tax benefits due to them being a family. A family of 4 members, living in Spain. Even if my maths are off for 1k, they are not getting rich with this game, that's for sure.
Are you sure that graphtreon/Patreon is taking VAT into account regarding displayed earnings?
That would make no sense and only add more complexity to the calculation considering that displayed Memberships on Patreon are not taking VAT into account.

If I decide to pick the "Friend" membership which is displayed at 5€ on Patreon, I will pay roughly 6€, but I don't think Patreon will add 6€ to MagicNuts pot, but rather 5€. That would make sense considering that the displayed membership price is at 5€.

Reactions: moskyx

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
Are you sure that graphtreon/Patreon is taking VAT into account regarding displayed earnings?
That would make no sense and only add more complexity to the calculation considering that displayed Memberships on Patreon are not taking VAT into account.

If I decide to pick the "Friend" membership which is displayed at 5€ on Patreon, I will pay roughly 6€, but I don't think Patreon will add 6€ to MagicNuts pot, but rather 5€. That would make sense considering that the displayed membership price is at 5€.
Oh, then my maths are seriously flawed

euno

Nov 2, 2017
i have done the maths taking into account that every update takes significantly longer time than the one before my calculations point me to a proper v1.0 release in q2 2027

Delasius

Jan 22, 2019
It's Easy to Say they need more artists in the team. If i not wrong, there three of them right? The couple married and Pistachio?

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
It's Easy to Say they need more artists in the team. If i not wrong, there three of them right? The couple married and Pistachio?
No, Chestnut and Pistachio are the married couple. They occasionally get someone else to help with some things, but they are not really part of the team.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
And with their powers combined, they form....
MAGICNUTS!
My character in My Time at Sandrock was named Tanuki (because of the black eyes from lack of sleep), and without even knowing why it came to mind at the time, I named my workshop 'Magic Nuts', for slightly different reasons.
Later, I realized why I thought of it, and it always made me happy to think about it. XD

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: rKnight

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
My character in My Time at Sandrock was named Tanuki (because of the black eyes from lack of sleep), and without even knowing why it came to mind at the time, I named my workshop 'Magic Nuts', for slightly different reasons.
Later, I realized why I thought of it, and it always made me happy to think about it. XD
I'm aware of some of the Tanuki's most famous....attributes.

Reactions: TheDevian
4.70 star(s) 448 Votes