Kisama33

May 13, 2018
'It is not me he is grifting' is a shit take, mate.
That's right it's not me so I don't care, it's not me that even after 2+ years without an update still chooses to support them, it's not me that after learning of the decision to remade a big chunk of the update still continued to support them, it's not me that even seeing every day that the progress they made looks really low and insignificant still by my own decision, supports them.

No I don't feel sorry for someone that burns their own money for a promise of getting a treasure later.

No I don't feel sorry for someone that even with so many things screaming in their ears "Man, I think this is a Scam" still decides to not hear them and support them anyway.

And even if they were that ingenious and/or innocent and never expect that such a thing could happen at least they would learn a very valuable lesson that is much more important and useful in the future than my "sorry for them".

Mordikay

Sep 23, 2022
Wait people are actually angry?

Here I was just having a good laugh at this thread and legit warning people against scams and grifter creators but you guys are taking it serious?

KingsRaiden

Engaged Member
Jan 4, 2017

Here I was just having a good laugh at this thread and legit warning people against scams and grifter creators but you guys are taking it serious?
It comes and goes because of how much people like the game v how long the update is taking and people want to go on about milking.

ScionDayne

Jun 2, 2022

LOL if they are angry then I think that says something about them...like perhaps get out more. I'm with you, I find this hilarious but probably not for the reasons people think. I find it funny that the creators have to be sitting back and having a good laugh as well at the fans expense.

shazba jnr

Feb 3, 2024
LOL if they are angry then I think that says something about them...like perhaps get out more. I'm with you, I find this hilarious but probably not for the reasons people think. I find it funny that the creators have to be sitting back and having a good laugh as well at the fans expense.
Personally I don’t think the creators of this game are scamming or laughing, I think they are pretty genuine. That’s just a sense I get (it could just be flatulence, you can never know with these feelings).

Their life situation has now changed, they went from not having kids to having kids, and they’re adjusting into a new schedule.

People who are accusing them of doing nothing for a year and a half and now scrambling to finish the job have no proof of this, it’s just little Timmy’s angry response when he doesn’t get the toy he wants right away.

But I think the devs need to adjust their own expectations for the next episode. Better to deliver less in a timelier manner than going for a big update only to have it drag on this long. I mean, expecting people to support you for two years with nothing yet to show other than ever moving progress bars isn’t gonna pay the bills forever.

But anyway, hopefully the episode will come out soon and it’ll be good. If it’s all just about this orc, that’d be pretty shit, so let’s hope the story progresses a lot too. Imagine subscribing for two years to a developer just so you can have some happy pixel time with an orc… :sick:

Fantaldebert

May 30, 2018
People who are accusing them of doing nothing for a year and a half and now scrambling to finish the job have no proof of this, it’s just little Timmy’s angry response when he doesn’t get the toy he wants right away.
I don't know for others but I'm more suspecting them of doing nothing for a year and a half a now doing the bare minimum to finish the job.

Suspecting because that's just a theory of mine based on evidence (they produced nothing in 18 months) and reinforced by correct prediction (we said 6 month ago during the abandon hammer period that nothing will change and nothing changed). Currently that's the most satisfiing explanation. It could be invalidated by new contradictory evidence but the Weekly Progress Bar has long been proved having no causation nor correlation with the actual delivery of the game.

Avelait

Jul 31, 2017
Yes because clearly the code for this renpy game, the storyline, and the art (in either volume or quality) just multiplied by... ten, twenty times! So much so that they couldn't put out a new version in almost two fucking years.
Oh and guess what? It's not shut down, that's the whole point.
Instead of doing a responsible thing, after their life circumstances changed, and pausing the patreon until they have enough time to work on the game properly, they decide to just not... and let the money roll in while at best imitating the activity.
At this point, why would they go back to working on it for real? Even after two years of them producing pretty much nothing, there's still enough goobers to bring in more than 6k $ a month.

Honestly though? It really sucks, this game, when it was actually developed, was one of the best around.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: s333d and _Gaalec_

Xupuzulla

Aug 1, 2022
But anyway, hopefully the episode will come out soon and it’ll be good. If it’s all just about this orc, that’d be pretty shit, so let’s hope the story progresses a lot too. Imagine subscribing for two years to a developer just so you can have some happy pixel time with an orc… :sick:
This is one of the main reasons people are angry btw.

Reactions: shazba jnr

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
I don't know for others but I'm more suspecting them of doing nothing for a year and a half a now doing the bare minimum to finish the job.

Suspecting because that's just a theory of mine based on evidence (they produced nothing in 18 months) and reinforced by correct prediction (we said 6 month ago during the abandon hammer period that nothing will change and nothing changed). Currently that's the most satisfiing explanation. It could be invalidated by new contradictory evidence but the Weekly Progress Bar has long been proved having no causation nor correlation with the actual delivery of the game.
It's Daily Progress Bar, not Weekly. Better to have your data right when you try to look like you're taking a scientific approach. And this 'causation and correlation' has always existed as the alleged progress has been steadily reported and shown on WIP videos and pics since the start of this dev cycle, with previous updates following the same trend (including the continuous increase in total tasks needed) until every bar finally reached 100% and the game was released, so here you have your causation and correlation between the tracker numbers and the game's actual delivery. The only difference being this update is said to be bigger in terms of art and writing tasks, plus all the real life circumstances already mentioned which include a lackluster first draft that 'forced' devs to heavily edit and even remake several scenes.

So your explanation may be the most satisfying one for you (and some others) and it's surely a valid theory as no one bar devs themselves has any actual way to disprove it, but it's definitely not the most satisfying in broad scientific terms as it basically goes against all the previous observations and data collected for this specific project. You only have your 'correct prediction' to back it up, but you know what they say: even a broken clock is right twice a day. That could perfectly be the case of your prediction.

Instead of doing a responsible thing, after their life circumstances changed, and pausing the patreon until they have enough time to work on the game properly, they decide to just not...
You know what paid leaves are and why they exist, right? You tell your boss you can't keep working at the same rate due to some specific life circumstances, and you stop working (or work slower than before, in this case) yet you keep being paid so you can still sustain your family until such circumstances mitigate. How not getting any money from your job is the 'responsible' thing to do when you now have another mouth to feed? No, the responsible thing to do is informing your patrons of such change and let them decide at every moment if they wish to keep supporting you under the new circumstances (including the slower progress than before). And a few hundreds chose not to (devs are earning about $2k less per month compared to 2022), and more are following suit day after day unhappy with the glacial progress (and will probably never come back if they feel their trust has been broken). As it should be. So where's the problem? There are still not enough people following your 'financial ethos' and choosing to spend their money as you'd wish them not to?

Woah that's the biggest cap increase I've seen in a while. Did the actual progress numbers go back to or do I remember incorrectly from the last one? Anyways still moving backwards and this week by a lot it seems.
Surprisingly (not really), you do remember incorrectly. This is the tracker from one exact week ago to refresh your memory: progress-wal.png
One edit task completed, none added (from 606/612 to 607/612). 9 debug tasks completed (from 155 to 164), 6 added (from 189 to 195). That's a net progress of 4 tasks, surely not much but not exactly what anyone would call 'moving backwards and this week by a lot'.

shazba jnr

Feb 3, 2024
Woah that's the biggest cap increase I've seen in a while. Did the actual progress numbers go back to or do I remember incorrectly from the last one? Anyways still moving backwards and this week by a lot it seems.
It's rare that the percentage goes backwards (it has happened two times over the last two months, but it was only for a day).

There are two ways to look at these progress reports:
  1. You don't believe them in which case it doesn't matter what they say.
  2. You do believe them and we are constantly trending forward, albeit very slowly.
That's it.

I'm not sure how numerous people look at these numbers and think they see things going backwards. The literal percentage count for each bar is the ratio of completed vs max. Even if the max is increasing, as long the completed increases at a ratio better than the current completion ratio, the game is still trending towards completion. And that's literally what we're seeing almost all the time.

Of course, as I said above, if you don't believe the progress indicator, there's no point comment on it, and we're basically just doing this.

What's interesting is that on a couple of occasions, their development has slipped backwards, by their own calculations (if you watch the animation on this post, you will see between the 9th and 10th of June they went backwards as well as the 15th and 16th of June).

If they're basing their numbers on some real life metric, it's possible that things could slip backwards from time to time, but if they're faking it, does it just mean they fucked up their numbers, or that they thought by throwing in a little backtrack here and there it looks more realistic? :unsure:

That's why I think it's somewhat legit. Having said that, I really don't know how it can be taking this long to polish this motherfucker! o_O

Biscardone

May 2, 2020
That's why I think it's somewhat legit. Having said that, I really don't know how it can be taking this long to polish this motherfucker! o_O
I'm simplifying, but usually in software development when an arbitrary deadline is not met, two factors are in play:
  • Bad planning (e.g. you estimated that a certain amount of time would be required for a specific goal, and your estimation was off)
  • Bad implementation (e.g. a testing or code review phase is botched, and you have to redo a bigger or smaller part of your work)
Talking about WAL, as far as I'm understood, the edit and polish phase are used to account for rewrites of existing scenes that are considered not up to par. So, the two above factors, more or less.
That's why I suggested to simply forget about the game for some time, and take it and its development simply for what it is. But schadenfreude is more entertaining to some. To each one his own, I guess.

Last edited:
4.70 star(s) 448 Votes