4.30 star(s) 186 Votes

Darth Sidious

The Senate & Emperor of the First Galactic Empire
Donor
Sep 24, 2017
im not complaining about the delay that oceanlab iss going through or anything but instead stating my opinion. But would making two games at once be better suited for a team instead of one single person?
You know what the problem is with having only one game to look after?

1. Will only cater to the same type of audience.
2. Long inactivity period when the one game is finished in order to transition to the next. May lose supporters during this time.
3. Limited business potential & Continuity. If you do not branch out, you will barely grow.

Note how Summer's Gone is entirely different from Where it All Began. Yes certainly, having an empire of loyal servants behind you will vastly increase your productivity, but in order to achieve said empire you need Passion, Strength, Power, Victory and.. Oh ye, MONEY!

Qwert99

Mar 2, 2018
2. Long inactivity period when the one game is finished in order to transition to the next. May lose supporters during this time.
This point is a little ridiculous considering there's been a very long period without any updates to either game exactly because of him working on two games. Additionally, if people only like one of the two games it's even longer.

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
You know what the problem is with having only one game to look after?

1. Will only cater to the same type of audience.
3. Limited business potential & Continuity. If you do not branch out, you will barely grow.

Note how Summer's Gone is entirely different from Where it All Began. Yes certainly, having an empire of loyal servants behind you will vastly increase your productivity, but in order to achieve said empire you need Passion, Strength, Power, Victory and.. Oh ye, MONEY!
"Peace is a lie. There is only Passion.
Through Passion I gain Strength.
Through Strength I gain Power.
Through Power I gain Victory.
Through Victory my chains are Broken.
Money shall free me"

That is one way to tell the sith code.

I don't know if you guys have seen it but there were updated news about Summer's Gone with Nami looking even more breathtaking (had no idea that was possible). In the news he acknowledges that WIAB update is not finished yet. Honestly, I prefer Summer's Gone over WIAB but he kept insisting that both stories are intertwined and the way he spoke about it it always seemed to me that WIAB was his main focus.

Luckily, it will only be a few more days... My guess is that if he is working on Summer's gone (I remember reading up to chapter 8 are already written), the WIAB is probably being tested or under very small details missing...

Wait and hope.

Darth Sidious

Donor
Sep 24, 2017
This point is a little ridiculous considering there's been a very long period without any updates to either game exactly because of him working on two games. Additionally, if people only like one of the two games it's even longer.
You missed the point then, because I didn't say update inactivity, I said transitioning from one game to the other with the first game ending. Basically that means the new game will have to be written, fleshed out, producing a demo, bug tested and a new production plan has to be made. During that time people have no reason to keep supporting, at least until all this is settled. Having multiple games going will slow production on all games for sure, which will also keep supporters and fans from all the games waiting in a hopeful state. We are the living proof, as we keep moaning about a release date here. Meanwhile the Supporters will continue to pay and so the projects are allowed to flourish.

Are you saying, additionally, Summer's Gone does not have fans? :p

Euron13

Apr 7, 2019
I don’t know that that logic entirely flies. Summer's Gone has already started, the basis for it already exists and it wouldn’t need to be rewritten and the pre-existing work wouldn’t need to be redone, so any time between the ending of one game and the beginning of the next wouldn’t be as significant as you’re making out.

• Angry
Reactions: hellomate1

Qwert99

Mar 2, 2018
You missed the point then, because I didn't say update inactivity, I said transitioning from one game to the other with the first game ending. Basically that means the new game will have to be written, fleshed out, producing a demo, bug tested and a new production plan has to be made. During that time people have no reason to keep supporting, at least until all this is settled. Having multiple games going will slow production on all games for sure, which will also keep supporters and fans from all the games waiting in a hopeful state. We are the living proof, as we keep moaning about a release date here. Meanwhile the Supporters will continue to pay and so the projects are allowed to flourish.

Are you saying, additionally, Summer's Gone does not have fans? :p
By that logic WIAB fans have no reason to keep supporting during the last 7 months either. It's a way longer time period than it takes to make a quick demo for a new game.

And why would Summer's Gone not have fans..? They're gonna be mad while WIAB is being reworked and there won't be any Summer's Gone content for half a year. 4+ months have already passed for that as well.

D

Deleted member 1336941

Any ETA or news?
According to dev post on his patreon page he has already finished work with update on 9th May.. And now it's under polishing and testing work from last 10 days.. may be soon or later we will have good news..
I hope so.. fingers crossed :censored::censored:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1336941

give it another 5 month or so.
OMG o_O if such so then he will loose many supporters.. Even my brother is one of his top tier supporter.. idk what he thinks..
Anyways I hope dev will do his best..
Good luck dev(y)(y)

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
With the whole 2 game thing, it's important to note that he didn't intend to make 2 games at the same time by himself. Originally, one of his friends was the main dev of Summer's Gone, but they had problems rendering the game as they were both slow and OL didn't like the quality, so OL took over and reworked that game's renders and his friend left the project.

That actually leads me to this, WIAB and SG both look excellent, but OL is probably too much of a perfectionist for his own good. That's probably why it's been on 99% so long and the game is being reworked after this update is released and why he has tinkered with the art so much. He has actually talked about this before I think, if he can do better, he'll always try to do that regardless of how long it takes.

It didn't work the first time, but he should consider finding some helpers. It's really hard to make 2 games at once, especially high quality ones. Mr.Dots is the only one I can think of that does it consistently well, and he has an army of rendering machines and 2 writers.

Darth Sidious

Donor
Sep 24, 2017
Just consider how far WIAB is now, it makes perfect sense to have a second project to work on. You can't expect to keep supporters if you finish your only game, then start writing a new one and release the first demo half a year later.

Mr. Dots can do this because he has more than three times the amount of supporters. Even if all his supporters give him $1 each, he'd have the money to pay for writers and if he saves up for a few months he could buy another PC for rendering.

Like I said; Passion, strength, power, victory and money! What Oceanlab needs are more supporters. Being a perfectionist at the beginning will definitely hold things back, but having a game poor in content will too. With some patience, and a fully finished WIAB, it'll only look good on his Patreon résumé.

Last edited:

Euron13

Apr 7, 2019
Just consider how far WIAB is now, it makes perfect sense to have a second project to work on. You can't expect to keep supporters if you finish your only game, then start writing a new one and release the first demo half a year later.
The logic seems kind of fuzzy here for me. Because I’ve seen plenty of successful devs hold off starting another project until their first is at least nearing the end of its cycle.
Comparatively, WIAB is supposed to be many many chapters long that makes up multiple “seasons”, but right now WIAB is on its 5th episode of its first season, so there’s really no fear of finishing the first game any time soon and it’s not really a necessity to try and start up another to swap the support base over to.

And even if you discard all of that, there’s the fact that Summer’s Gone doesn’t need a demo...it already exists, if we go by Ocean, he’s already written the entire game. There’d be no great delay. But even if that wasn’t the case...Oceans got a fair amount of support right now, and that’s with no new release of WIAB in what? 7 months? 8? If they’re willing to wait that long with nothing then you’d think they’d be wait as long for the next project.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
The logic seems kind of fuzzy here for me. Because I’ve seen plenty of successful devs hold off starting another project until their first is at least nearing the end of its cycle.
Comparatively, WIAB is supposed to be many many chapters long that makes up multiple “seasons”, but right now WIAB is on its 5th episode of its first season, so there’s really no fear of finishing the first game any time soon and it’s not really a necessity to try and start up another to swap the support base over to.

And even if you discard all of that, there’s the fact that Summer’s Gone doesn’t need a demo...it already exists, if we go by Ocean, he’s already written the entire game. There’d be no great delay. But even if that wasn’t the case...Oceans got a fair amount of support right now, and that’s with no new release of WIAB in what? 7 months? 8? If they’re willing to wait that long with nothing then you’d think they’d be wait as long for the next project.
Yeah, I'd much rather that OL put one of them on hold and focus on the other until done (my bias is that I would like it if the focus was on Summer's Gone until complete - as it seems like it will be a shorter project) rather than try to bounce between them. Especially if OL is a perfectionist that has a hard time releasing anything that isn't 100% the best he can do. By the time these two games are done we might be suffering from a zombie plague and fighting them off with lasers. :ROFLMAO:

I love both these games but I want more and sooner than later.

4.30 star(s) 186 Votes