4.30 star(s) 184 Votes

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
Well, this game is... interesting. I can totally see why this game is getting reworked because the most recent version is 100x better in terms of render and animation quality, but the story is still very much all over the place. The reworking of the previous parts might help, but it's still a pretty batshit insane story, and sometimes, as much as a VN might have nice renders and hot characters, when the story is completely batshit, I find it hard to enjoy it.

So here we have some shady group that's out to get the MC and his entire family for some bizarre reason that has something to do with his sister, who frame him for a crime in a totally convoluted and ridiculous way, and also manage to somehow make it one of the most expeditious trials in history. Also, federal prison for a single rape charge? :WaitWhat: Really? Meanwhile his nympho girlfriend just up and vanishes like a fart in the wind because she may or not have been kidnapped by her strange triad-like family, and somehow the coffee girl Gina snapped a picture of it, but none of that was ever really explained. Also, the Mom just disappeared too to places unknown, the Dad is an insanely jacked up roid monkey who looks like he should be a power-top, the MC character model actually changed to a different one in the last few scenes of this update, and there were several scenes in this update that didn't seem to fit a logical throughline. I mean, how is that one minute we're on a basketball court with Katie and the next we're at home hearing a door close to signal that the Mom has now returned home? Seemed like we were missing a step or two. o_O

All that said, the supremely better renders and animations in this update make the rework look promising, but there's a shtitton of work, in my view, that's needed to fix the story. Not just the the disparity between the way the story was unfolding in the earlier chapters and how it is in this one, but the story itself because I think this VN is falling into the same trap that trips up so many others; trying to craft a deeply dramatic story but losing itself in making it too convoluted with an outlandish premise, story threads that make no sense, and too many female characters.

Anyway, I wish you all the best of luck Oceanlab and I guess I'll be back to see what this looks like after the rework.

P.S. I love Katie because she ticks 2 of my fantasy/kink boxes: a rebellious, hard-edged girl who needs a white knight to bring out her soft, inner self, and a smoking hot sister of the MC. She'll probably also end up in my sig when I add some new characters to it. ;)

Last edited:

FAP369ZONE

Aug 29, 2018
Ok i just tried to play chapter 6 so i could see a rework and it was good, very good but something was bugging me since the start...

Is there a way to manually change the name of Dana to something else like Lara, Sara, Ana etc. because Dana is way to similar to Donna tbh.

ps Hope we can have a full romantic relationship with Dana (the lawyer) because she is my main choice on my 1st save path :cool:

Last edited:

Faptime

Mar 25, 2018
here is my unofficial android port of Where it all began 0.5.
i'd advise to start a new game.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

from now on my android ports of Ren'Py games have a 2nd, persistent save location like windows. if you uninstall an app, the save files and persistent data remain intact.
therefore the app needs the permission to access the public external storage, because it has to read and write outside its own external storage directories.
you have to grant the permission or the app is shut down.

have fun and please report problems (you can reach me ).
updated: 09.10.2019

Hey the66. Are there plans to update your port to v0.6? Thanks for doing what you do.

DrakoGhoul

Engaged Member
Jul 13, 2018
So i finished the updated content(except for Katie route). Please tell me i can have both Dana and Leia as a thing because I'm so conflicted at this point. I didn't expect to be that attracted to Dana but damn I'm nearly converted.

The Donna stuff went very well for me as i wanted to get her pregnant in my playthrough. The only problem is now I'm seeing from the dev that you can't have all of the girls(or atleast multiple ones though i thought originally we could have as many as wanted but i guess he changed his mind) so now i got to trimmed down who i want to just have sex with versus actually being with or i could just make multiple saves for each route.

Anyway the update was good. Was it worth the wait though? I can't speak for everyone else but it was definitely high quality and the story did progress in a meaningful way, imo. The MC backstory for what happened while he was away from home then on to the Mom scene was done very well. Also factor in that the dev is working on another game which i play as well(though i prefer this game over the other) and I'd say it's worth it for me atleast since the quality didn't drop. I can't wait to see how this whole ordeal play out in the next update.

Reactions: AlwayzUndead

the66

beware, the germans are cumming
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jan 27, 2017
Hey the66. Are there plans to update your port to v0.6? Thanks for doing what you do.
no, there are no plans.
i already made a port for v0.6BETAa.
and yes, i intend to do so also for the final v0.6.

Last edited:

myuhinny

Devoted Member
Sep 7, 2017
FAPmaster369

Use something like unren to extract the game files and then drag and drop the script file into note pad and look for Dana's name in the define character area and change it to something else. Next select save as then set save as file type to all and select the script.rpy file and overwrite it. This will change their name when they are talking but not sure if their name is listed elsewhere in the script files or not.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: FAP369ZONE

hatefuldisplay

May 22, 2020
I ended up checking this out after playing through the current chapters of Summer's Gone. Oddly enough, some of the folks who enjoy Summer's Gone were not fond of Where it All Began and almost steered me away from it. Thankfully, I tried it out and am very impressed with this so far.

Great story arcs. I have no idea where it is headed and who I can even trust.

The characters are excellent and even pulled some emotional attachment out of me. Even some of the lesser characters, such as Emilie and Gina shine. Very well done across the board.

I'm a bit confused on the family dynamic and I assume that is because the incest bit was removed for Patreon or something. I was thinking it was a foster home, but other mentions were made to blood relations. Does that mean Leia and Katie are the main character's biological sisters? It doesn't matter at this point. Just had me guessing a bit.

Faptime

Mar 25, 2018
no, there are no plans.
i already made a port for v0.6BETAa.
and yes, i intend to do so also for the final v0.6.
Shit, I didn't even check for an official port! I just searched your name in the thread to find your unofficial android port.

Sorry! I'm a bit of a dumbass. :ROFLMAO:

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
About Harems

You can be sure that there will never be a full-out Harem route in any of my story-focused games.

From my point of view, a harem often destroys a lot of character build-up. (I am talking about story-focused games).
Imagine a girl like Leia suddenly accepting to share you with anyone else.
That's way out of character.

All depth, all her desires are gone. Now she's just here to pleasure the player.

What my games will have are mini-harems/triangles etc.

Certain girls will accept to share you with other certain girls. (If you made the right choices)
And there are also girls that don't want to share you at all. (Just like you probably don't want to share her.)
I am glad to hear this.
Good harem stories are hard to find and the game's story would usually have to be crafted around it for said ending to work well.

Paprika

Aug 14, 2017
I'll just wait to play the next update when hopefully there'll be a working incest patch. I just couldn't keep playing when the MC calls his mom Helen, it makes no sense and for me a good incest story is a big part a why I play these games, not just good renders.
P.S.: I used the patch in the OP.

Reactions: botc76

NOVASSR

Dec 30, 2017
Guys call me a pussy or a beta or whatever you want but whats up the horror tag? cuz i dont want to have a fucking screamer or some shit like that at the 4 am while being alone in my house

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Guys call me a pussy or a beta or whatever you want but whats up the horror tag? cuz i dont want to have a fucking screamer or some shit like that at the 4 am while being alone in my house
Horror is because on a specific path MC can have a drug induced hallucination. Melty faces and Human sized spiders.

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
Definitely not a fan of a "rework" while the game isn't finished.
In my mind it would be best to just finish a game, to tell the story until the end, once you have accomplished that, go and re-make the stuff you don't feel is adequate anymore.

It's just my personal opinion of course, but once you start going over the work you did, how would you know a year from now, with two or three updates more down the road, you don't come to the exact same point again and want to re-make the work until then as well and then again and again until you give up in frustration?
It's something I've experienced in my own writing, however amateurish it might be and seen in some of the games here.

For now I won't bother downloading the new version and see how that "rework" goes along, before I invest time again.

Reactions: compusavvy

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Definitely not a fan of a "rework" while the game isn't finished.
In my mind it would be best to just finish a game, to tell the story until the end, once you have accomplished that, go and re-make the stuff you don't feel is adequate anymore.

It's just my personal opinion of course, but once you start going over the work you did, how would you know a year from now, with two or three updates more down the road, you don't come to the exact same point again and want to re-make the work until then as well and then again and again until you give up in frustration?
It's something I've experienced in my own writing, however amateurish it might be and seen in some of the games here.

For now I won't bother downloading the new version and see how that "rework" goes along, before I invest time again.
Considering it is going to be 33 parts (at least last I heard) waiting until the entire thing is done would mean the introduction, which he feels doesn't portray some characters properly would be a long time coming. And since the characters may act differently or have different motivations if the first bit isn't reworked new players would be confused by the shift in tone. I'd rather that he go back and rework it now considering the length of the finished product. If this was going to be a planned 10 updates I would agree with you.

4.30 star(s) 184 Votes