4.30 star(s) 185 Votes

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019

Hello

I did post one of these progress/diary updates before about my progress in Blender.
From now on I will call it "Blender diary"

Learning a 3D software is lonely and quite stressful. (Thank god I have a blender buddy.)

By doing these diaries I am kinda sharing my thoughts, problems, and achievements with you guys to relieve stress and also give you an insight into my work. (And if you can explain something, you understood it.)
For those who don't know... As soon as Where it all began and Summer's Gone reach Season 2, the games will be made in Blender.

These diaries are very technical and you might often not understand what I am saying. But I am trying my best to make it understandable.
I am dedicating 2-3h a day to learning Blender.

The last progress update can be found here:

Since then I acquired a trainload of new knowledge and skills.
The further you go down in this post the more recent it gets.

I did post this picture in the last diary.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Since then, the skin shading made some steps forwards but it's hard to judge because this render is so dark.
A day later I rendered it in a brighter environment with some updated skin-shading nodes.

Then I converted the next char to Blender. It was Helen.
With Helen new problems arrived.
In Blender, you don't have a function to fit clothes to a character and because Helen has some very beautiful curves, it was a challenge to fit them to her.

In this render, I sculpt it onto her which lead to a lot of problems but I managed to create a decent fit.
(A friend told me about a much better way to do it and I gladly don't have to do it anymore.)
A big problem (Which might have been solved and this step will no longer be necessary) is that the DAZ geometry was off in some areas.

I am talking about the teeth.

I already worked on the upper row but the bottom teeth are untouched. As you can see there are some huge gaps between them and they look even worse rendered.
This means you have to manually fix the teeth in Edit mode.
The gum is also off and needs to be fixed manually.
The bottom row fixed.
This has to be done for every char you convert. (But as I said it might be fixed.)
This char up there is the new Miru and after I finished most of the work on her.
I obviously did put my newly acquired knowledge to use and gave her a better Skin-Shader than the one Dana has in the pictures above (Dana & Helen have the better one now, too.)
(This is a custom from the custom tier and this person has given me the permission to do them in Blender so that I can enhance my skills while being productive)

The next destination was to convert two Summer's Gone characters.

Here is the younger version of the MC from SG during my work on his skin shader. The arms haven't been modified yet.
I sadly got the idea of screenshotting my Blender stuff very late and the biggest challenge here was to fit the brows onto his face.
The MC here is a special case due to his texture maps.

The brows were on a separate map and Blender was only able to show one.. Either the face or the brows. As you can imagine, a huge mess got converted and it took me quite some time to figure out how to merge those two maps. (Sadly, I don't have screenshots of the mess)

Now that I had some characters on a decent shader level I wanted to slowly get into the part I most desire in Blender.
Animating.
My first test was with the Miru model and the first thing I wanted to do was some boob physics.

Animating in Blender feels super nice! It's 1000 suns above Daz.
I do have a huge interest in physics. This means that I don't have to manually animate certain parts like boobs, butts, and hair and it just simulates the physics of the movement.
And now the headache began.
After testing out different methods and realizing that every time I started a simulation, my whole PC froze because the Daz character creators are throwing around Polys like crazy.
(I discovered the solution to this (This will be shown in the next diary.) after I tried out a different method.
This different method was by simulating the boob-bones instead of the mesh.
And then this happened...
(Put the quality in these videos up. They start at 240p for some reason)

Suddenly every bone in her body was like Harry Potter's arm during the quidditch match in Part 2.
Everything had these physics on them and It took me a day to figure out why and fix it.
After I finally managed to get some physic only onto the boobs... I got this result

As you can see this looks fucking weird. As if there was an illusion of movement.
I didn't know why the boob-bones were reacting like this and there was nothing I could do.
- Here from a different perspective with different settings but still the same.
I did like 15 test-animations of this but no matter what I did.. It didn't work.
I first expected that something with the weight map was wrong and I tried to modify it in every direction. But this was a dead-end.
Until today and I finally managed to figure out how to make it work.

This is just a test animation so no worries about some bugs but I found out how it works.
I managed to make it work because I added 2 extra bones (red) to the boob-main-bones and did put physics onto those two bones.
The two big bones are now Child-bones and controlled by the small bones on which I applied the physics.

And now that I know how to make it work it's time to play around with it and find the most realistic settings.
Daz Genesis 8 characters do not have butt bones and I will have to rig the butts myself and I will do this in the near future.
I will end this diary here and with the next diary, you can expect some Boob, ass, and hair physic videos and some new renders.

- Ocean
I read everything but I have zero knowledge on the topic. I did understood that is a lot of freaking work but after seeing how things have improved over and over, you can tell that all that effort is really paying its investment. Amazing work and congratz! The best thing is that this is something that will improve WIBA, SG and any other game!

Totally different topic but I need to get it out of my system. New Miru is breathtaking. Totally precious without losing her original essence.:love:

L34ND43

Dec 17, 2017
I managed to get the patch to work so that the MC doesn't say "My old friend Leia" anymore but "My dear sister Leia", I didn't try all the other modifications because I've just started the game but if this modification works I don't see why the others wouldn't work

edit : I've just finished version 0.6 and I didn't encounter any problems.

Last edited:

renkin4

Mar 31, 2019
It seriously feels like I am talking against a wall here.

It's is the same story but with a different build-up.
The main events like Miru going MIA and all the other stuff is still there!

So instead of meeting Katie in the hallway.. You meet her somewhere else and this else does make a lot more sense and offers a lot more interaction.
Instead of only seeing Helen once, you will see her a lot more often and it will bring in new information to the story.

Every character is still the same except for Miru.
And you will get to the same finish line.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

Yes, it is.
It would make no sense to release a chapter that would've been scrapped anyway.
Just a thought here...

Could you have variable fitting to the clothes for the girls? Like some would fit tight and some not so tight? It's really (and personally) annoying whenever I see female characters with clothes always outlining thier boobs, like the clothes are painted on.

Maybe for some girls try having the clothes fit normally? Close to the way they would fit in reality. I think it adds a little bit extra, something for the mind to chew on. Just saying.

...and not just you either. This extends to all devs. Sometimes a more natural dress style may be better (especially for moms and sisters, at least initially). This assumes, of course, that it can be properly animated.

Just my two bits, though. I really hate painted on clothes.

Snugglepuff

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 27, 2017
Just a thought here...

Could you have variable fitting to the clothes for the girls? Like some would fit tight and some not so tight? It's really (and personally) annoying whenever I see female characters with clothes always outlining thier boobs, like the clothes are painted on.

Maybe for some girls try having the clothes fit normally? Close to the way they would fit in reality. I think it adds a little bit extra, something for the mind to chew on. Just saying.

...and not just you either. This extends to all devs. Sometimes a more natural dress style may be better (especially for moms and sisters, at least initially). This assumes, of course, that it can be properly animated.

Just my two bits, though. I really hate painted on clothes.
It's a limitation on what the models, textures & software allow.

Reactions: hellomate1

Snugglepuff

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 27, 2017
I see...

Thanks for the info.
To elaborate, it's the same reason why worn items on models don't behave like they would IRL. Best example is items like a visible body armour that a character wears in a game, and it moves/contorts with the character model, even if it's supposed to be metal or some other inflexible material.

hellomate1

Jul 31, 2018
To elaborate, it's the same reason why worn items on models don't behave like they would IRL. Best example is items like a visible body armour that a character wears in a game, and it moves/contorts with the character model, even if it's supposed to be metal or some other inflexible material.
It's crazy how much that is changing (depended on developers), especially with technology like Unreal Engine 5 - which, in theory, has no polycount limit which would allow more geometry which could make all this more realistic. Of course programs like Blender, Maya, etc, can already get super real (Blender, Maya, etc are used to create the super realistic CG in film) and is constantly getting better everyday, it's just about time management and budget. How this ties to devs here, is merely about practicality. Reaching that level just isn't practical for a fair bit of VN devs - and AAA devs just might not find the effort worth it. It's all about the pros and cons.

Reactions: Lord Soth

Deleted member 327695

Game Developer
Dec 11, 2017
It's a limitation on what the models, textures & software allow.
I see...

Thanks for the info.
Yea, it's a limitation from Daz but that's why you should use other software to fix the problem. (ZBrush and/or Marvelous Designer)

This Clothing-Boob-Paint-problem will not be present in any of my games anymore.

Wavergen

Jun 3, 2018
What type of horror are we talking about here?
is it the fear of being Ntr'd or is there real horror in this?

Game Bond

Nov 20, 2019
What type of horror are we talking about here?
is it the fear of being Ntr'd or is there real horror in this?
There's just a hallucination sequence if I remember correctly everything looks scary for a sec and that's it although NTR can be a horror if you push for it.

hellomate1

Jul 31, 2018
There's just a hallucination sequence if I remember correctly everything looks scary for a sec and that's it although NTR can be a horror if you push for it.
The Katie War route where she drugs the MC is what you are referring too. That terrified the hell out of me (who had smoked a little legal green beforehand), and made me quickly change the MC's path the second time through. Never again.

• Haha
Reactions: Game Bond

Gh0st_Harambe

Mar 9, 2020
The wait for this update was worth it and it's not often I'm blown away by a real quality update but wow this had a little bit of everything I loved all the animation sitting back watching everything unfold it was great. I really enjoyed the Katie scene and I like how the MC is trying to help her erase all those old memories with new ones really touching scene between those two. I'm a little intrigued at the phone call between Dana and Zoey I wonder if it's about the case or was Dana asking her if she should pursue the MC?
For me, that call has to do personally with the MC and has nothing to do with the trial.

Reactions: Esp``

Arrascaeta

Oct 29, 2018
i downloaded the gallery mod but it seems theres no way to see the NTR because the button to switch to it doesn't appear,is this normal?

Last edited:
4.30 star(s) 185 Votes