4.30 star(s) 186 Votes

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
I am not sure if I love Where It All Began, or I hate it. The story telling, staging, and "cinematography" are great.
Part of the problem is the story hits a little too close to home for comfort. False accusations ruined friendships that many many years and the truth have not healed and probably never will.

johnelros

Apr 10, 2018

1. GPU status and the A6000 Quadro
2. Particle hair

1. GPU status and the A6000 Quadro

It's still impossible to acquire a 3090 at the moment.

Nvidia stopped selling their cards completely on their own website and many Third-Party shops keep unlisting the 3000 series.

The PC that is currently working on WiAB isn't able to render but I cannot wait that much longer.

I will try to acquire a 3090 by the 15th of November and if don't get one, I will 'waste' 500-600€ for a used 2080Ti so that I can at least render again.
I also shifted my attention away from the 3090 to the A6000 (Quadro)

Sadly, the 3090 is not capable of sharing the memory in a Dual GPU NvLink setup. Which means I would run into some serious Vram problems in Blender later on. (24GB for Daz are probably enough.)

That's why I will probably go for an A6000 Quadro which should hopefully release later this year.
This card features 48GB of Vram and you can run it in a dual GPU setup for 96GB Vram which would eliminate all Vram problems 'forever'.
The current goal is to acquire two A6000s for both PCs. This will probably cost around 16.000 - 20.000€ and it's an investment I am willing to take.
I hope I will be able to acquire these over the next 1 - 2 years.
But just because I am not capable of rendering full-sized scenes for WiAB at the moment. Things are not staying still.

2. Particle hair

For those who don't know, the number of male hairstyles for Daz is extremely limited. And many of them are very low in terms of quality. At least if you go for a photorealistic look.

It's the same for the female hairstyles, just that there are actually a few good hairstyles (OOT best) but still the number is limited and that's why you see the same hair in many different games.

This won't be a problem anymore.

The solution to this problem is "Particle Hair." from Blender.

Particle hair can be grown on any surface and as long as I can imagine the hairstyle, I can create it.
I started experimenting a few days ago and the first victim for this is going to the MC.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
When I enter my focus-work mode I often forget to do screenshots.

It took me a while to get things working and a lot of bug fixing and understanding certain aspects was needed but I feel quite confident now.

In the MC's case, I started with 4 different hair zones. (Bangs, Top, Sides, Back)
Here for example you can see the weight map of the Back/Side
Red is the "heaviest" and that means there is a maximum of 100% hair grow and the hairs get smaller and less dense the further we move to the edge.

Which is extremely nice for pubic hair, eyebrows, and beards.
You can blur the weight map to have a smooth transition from dense hair to small little ones.
I ran into a really annoying problem which I managed to fix after around a day of frustration.
The hair wasn't dense. It looked like he the MC stayed on a steroid cycle for way too long.

I sadly do not have a screenshot of the "Steroid-cycle MC-hair" but you can see it here in one of the earlier screenshots.
I already got it a lot more dense here but it still had some problems.

Anyway, let's skip to the current state of my hairdressing career.
This is the current state and first test hair for the MC. I kinda did go for a surfer look but this is not the final product and I didn't polish it at all. So in the actual game, you will see a different hairstyle that looks more natural.
I plan on giving every single character particle hair and I will try to reproduce some memorable hairstyles like Katie's hair.
Okay, besides the unlimited possibilities and customization it offers. Does particle hair feature any other pros?

Oh yes! And this is the reason I decided to learn it.

It has 'hair physics'.
This means I will never have to animate hair manually again. I can use external forces like wind and movements to influence the hair.
The hair will behave like real hair during animations which will save a lot of time and will look so much better.
Other pros:

- I can let the hair grow and cut it whenever I want.
- I don't need to create a complex hair shader for every character.

And be sure I spent a lot of time trying to find the best solution to make the imported hair move naturally.
Here is what I did some time ago but it just never looked natural because it kept stretching the mesh (hair).

All the energy and time I currently invest in all this stuff will save me so much development time later on. As soon as everything is running and I got the new GPU we're looking at a big improvement in terms of development speed.

But less talking, more working.

Until I get the new GPU or the used 2080Ti, I will proceed to create environments for past Chapter 1, hair, and other stuff like fluid simulations.

I can't find some older screenshots/videos I had that were about fluid simulations and animated cum shots, but well.

I just wanted to update you guys on the current stand and don't worry if I don't do a Patreon post every week. I am working on the game every single day and when I post, the post is usually filled with information even tho the current GPU situation is out of my control.

- Ocean
:)

soxfanforever

Jan 21, 2018
It's too early to tell (should always wait for 3rd party reviews), but Big Navi seems extremely promising. 6900XT looks competitive with the 3090 for $500 less.

reflexbound

Game Developer
Feb 28, 2020
It's too early to tell (should always wait for 3rd party reviews), but Big Navi seems extremely promising. 6900XT looks competitive with the 3090 for $500 less.
Not anything near what he needs with just 16GB of memory. Don't know if two of these can share memory, but still 32GB probably aren't enough for his Blender work if he's planning to have not one 48GB Quadro, but two each.

Reactions: hellomate1

Brovalon

Jan 11, 2020
So, finished the game yesterday - I'm both very pleased, and quite embarrassed. Pleased because the game ended up being far more interesting and high quality than I was expecting, and embarrassed that I avoided it for so long. (Because somehow I didn't realize the NTR was toggleable.)

Now please, keep in mind that all opinions, thoughts, etc, come from the POV of someone who wasn't all that fond of NTR, and as such, had it turned off. (Could I use any more commas?)

If you bothered reading this... Kudos, and thank you (though, did you really gain anything from it?). I look forward to the next update quite a bit! I just want to give a big thank you to the developer, and patron supporters of the developers - they all make this possible, and for that, they have my thanks.

Also, a big thank you for making a comprehensive walkthrough. While it seems to miss a couple of points here or there, and could be a bit better (concise) in explaining various routes/possible consequences/etc, when talking about the non NTR path. And, of course, a thanks to the maker of the walkthrough mod - it covers 0.6v where the written one does not.

alex13_zen

Sep 30, 2019
I saw online that the new Radeon 6000 video cards are specialized for gaming, their RDNA2 architecture is the same as in the new consoles. The Nvidia Ampere on the other hand is a compute architecture, and so the rtx 3000 series should be better suited for non-gaming tasks. Too bad this series had mostly a paper launch.

reflexbound

Game Developer
Feb 28, 2020
Wouldn't read too much into these things. Sure, there's always optimization in one or the other direction, but in general, modern GPUs aren't that dissimilar. And redering is more similar to gaming than to GPU computing. Though the more mature ray tracing hardware in the Amperes probably can make a difference for redering. In the end, memory seems to be the more important issue here, especially for the route Ocean is going.

Reactions: hellomate1

davethewizard

Jun 25, 2017
To me the biggest worry about Rad6k GPUs is the vRAM setup - not just that it's 16 GB and not sharable (as far as I know), but also only 256-bit 14gbps G6. That's the same bandwidth as the 3070 and the 2070 Super before that, 448 GB/s vs the 760 of the 3080 and the 900+ (I can't remember off the top of my head) of the 3090. Plus, AMD's memory compression has traditionally sucked compared to NV - and while their fancy cache makes up for that in games, it doesn't seem like something that would be very applicable to 3D work...

Reniere

Aug 5, 2019
All i know is i don't trust founder cards from Nvidia after the whole the 30series was shutting down from the power consumption. I rather wait til EVGA or MSI get there cards 100% worked out plus how is a 3080 burning through a 750 Psu and shutting down ?. so i don't trust the 3090 either, I have a 1200 watt PSU and i wouldn't even trust a 30series in my machine yet. So good luck with get a card and luck and here's to hoping your machine doesn't suffer due to the 3090.

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
I saw online that the new Radeon 6000 .....
Wouldn't read too much into these things. S.....
To me the biggest worry about Rad6k GPUs is the vRAM setup .......
All i know is i don't trust founder cards from Nvidia after......
..and so on...
my biggest worry is that this game-thread could easily become gpu-discussion thread.
it would be good to not overdo/talk OT here;)

JB08

Aug 6, 2016
Are there teasers or something showing what the new models look like for the reworked characters?

4.30 star(s) 186 Votes