4.30 star(s) 185 Votes

Qwert99

Mar 2, 2018
Back in January I said 6 months as a joke and people facepalmed lol. At present this prediction seemed optimistic!
Yeah, every time I point out a game is either going to take a decade or is never going to be finished at a certain pace I get brigaded by a warhost of trolls, then it turns out it was 100% correct. The facepalm emote on this site is basically a badge of honour

LuciferPrometheus

Apr 30, 2020
Yeah, every time I point out a game is either going to take a decade or is never going to be finished at a certain pace I get brigaded by a warhost of trolls, then it turns out it was 100% correct. The facepalm emote on this site is basically a badge of honour
At the current pace, and with there being 30 chapters in total like the dev said, it'll take 8 years even if he takes 3 months per update lol. And let's not kid ourselves with that 3 month estimate. It's going to take well over a decade. Either the dev will rush the story or its eventually going to get abandoned. Idk how anyone can disagree with that.

mommysboiii

Oct 17, 2019
I prefer 30 cheapter and a long story dude just imagine playing this game know and having the best fap in your life at your Deathbed in 30 years :love: :love: what an AMAZING ending just too find out you got cucked by your videogame waifu :devilish:and everbody is like good one ocean CLAP its like choosing Morinth in mass effect 2 I got jebaited so hard was worth it loved every second

Last edited:

ProjectPharaoh

Game Developer
Jan 28, 2019
what the dev needs to do is hire more ppl cause doing two games at once with there being only one person is overkill. ppl are just gonna get pissed off and sick of waiting for updates to the point where eventually they wont pay for it anymore, causing Ocean to abandon it and i'll be super pissed if that happens cause both WIAB and SG are incredible games with an incredible story to boot

mommysboiii

Oct 17, 2019
what the dev needs to do is hire more ppl cause doing two games at once with there being only one person is overkill. ppl are just gonna get pissed off and sick of waiting for updates to the point where eventually they wont pay for it anymore, causing Ocean to abandon it and i'll be super pissed if that happens cause both WIAB and SG are incredible games with an incredible story to boot
I get where you come from but there is no way he can hire somebody he is not as big as being a dik for example and second both games are like his babys I dont think that he want that anyone mess with the writting or renders he is a perfectionist and I love his qualitie looking at the other visual novels their is no dev that is on his level no joke maybe our red string and estate dominate from the writting skill and qualitie .

Deleted member 327695

Game Developer
Dec 11, 2017
At the current pace, and with there being 30 chapters in total like the dev said, it'll take 8 years even if he takes 3 months per update lol. And let's not kid ourselves with that 3 month estimate. It's going to take well over a decade. Either the dev will rush the story or its eventually going to get abandoned. Idk how anyone can disagree with that.
Your estimate is correct if everything stays as it is.

But I do not plan on keeping things the way they are.

Currently, achievable things like: Optimising workflows, getting rid of bad habits that lead to procrastination, prepping for the next day, etc. are things I am currently taking action in.

The development is slower than it could be but this is a safety measure to not end up as fucked as I did with SG Ch3. And this Anti-burnout measure stays in check until my habits are optimized.

See down below about "optimizations" that are currently beyond my financial ability.

I am nowhere near being able to hire someone. I do not need coders or writers. The games are already written deep into their second Season.

What I need are highly skilled artists that I can trust.

See this post for some more clarity about my current situation: POST

As time and updates go on and hopefully, the support grows- I will be able to hire someone.
Even though I doubt I can find a DAZ artist to my liking.

It's a different story with Blender, though.
Blender has a much bigger array of highly skilled artists. Lots of freelancers, etc.

When the games reach Season 2 and the support allows me to hire a Blender artist, then I will do it.

Lets be honest, this is never getting finished, I mean if I could get paid $2k/mo to turn out no actual content then I sure as shit would.

His Patreon still talks about getting 2 Ampere Titan GPUs, which don't exist and there are no plans to release them.
He's made like $15k off of Patreon since the last update and could have had 2 3090s by now easily, the 3090 hasn't been hard to get, hell I've bought 2 3080's faster than he got a single update out for either VN and the 3080 is way harder to get than a 3090.

Top that off with he is also supposed to be working on Summers Gone which hasn't seen an update in over 5 months AND the 'rework' isn't even done?

Yeah we'll be buying 6000 series cards before there is an ending in sight here.

His Patreon still talks about getting 2 Ampere Titan GPUs, which don't exist and there are no plans to release them.
You are referring to posts I most likely made before the 3090s even came out and there was hope for Titan-level ampere GPUs with a properly working NvLink.

He's made like $15k off of Patreon since the last update and could have had 2 3090s by now easily, the 3090 hasn't been hard to get,
15k$ before taxes, subscriptions (AE, PS, Zbrush), healthcare, social life, living expenses, assets like music, etc.

Just because I have the money doesn't mean I am going to throw it out the window and pay 3000€ for a 3090. There is no way I will buy something for such a ridiculous price and besides that, as a developer you are at constant risk of just losing all your support from one day to the other.
Obviously, I can't just run around and buy cards for 3000€.

I need to have security.

And the 3090 FE I bought for 1500€ hasn't had been in stock for 7 months now. Got completely unlisted a few days ago.

Matt2012021

Jul 18, 2020
after reading all that this much is clear 1 person shouldn't be doing 2 games at once i'll just move from this VN its nice but not worth this wait have a feeling i will saying the same about summer's gone in half a year hope i'm wrong best wishes and luck to the dev

Reactions: johndoe19

slightchance

Mar 25, 2018
Doing two games is batshit crazy.
Your replies were reasonable so far so riddle me this: Why do you think you can manage two games at once? What are you doing differently than all the other devs who are struggling to produce updates for one single project that you can invest twice the amount of energy and time?

Deleted member 327695

Game Developer
Dec 11, 2017

Your replies were reasonable so far so riddle me this: Why do you think you can manage two games at once? What are you doing differently than all the other devs who are struggling to produce updates for one single project that you can invest twice the amount of energy and time?

I know it is possible as soon as I have eliminated my weak points and strengthened my habits.

I saw a big increase in render output since May due to the fact that I more or less "recovered" from the SG Chapter 3 grind.
Developing is actually super fun again.

15 renders a day for both games and I hit the 2-3 month update-mark for both games.

What are you doing differently than all the other devs who are struggling to produce updates for one single project
I am optimizing myself and the way I work. I also think you cannot really compare devs.

For example, I am doing a lot of "advanced" Zbrushing lately. Not just in still renders or on characters.
I am custom sculpting the movement of, for example, Miru's vagina, thighs, belly during a sex scene. Make the glans of the penis get pushed in by her touch during a handjob.
While creating a 20+ animation sex scene.

If a dev struggles to get a normal-sized update out for one project, then there is a high chance it is his own fault for being not organized and/or focused enough.

[...] that you can invest twice the amount of energy and time?
And this is the key to it all.

Time does not equal output.
I've had high focus days in May in which I created 21 WiAB renders + one 120 frames lewd animation and 20 SG renders in around ten hours and then rendered them overnight.

It all comes down to focus. If the focus is there, I can do it.

At the moment, I am still a "victim" to "overstimulation", I work on a scene- something is loading, and I tab into YT, etc.
I am currently curing this sickness of procrastination with meditation and other things.

I have to get rid of a damn annoying habit that we all probably know too well.

There is another reason why Chapter 1 is taking- longer than it should. I will discuss this after the release.

You're entitled to your own opinion. I will not try to change your mind.

But let me give you my side of the coin.
I have a damn good time developing these games. (At least since May again.)

You're speaking from a consumer perspective, I speak from the perspective of someone who has found a creative outlet. A way to express himself and take others on the road with him.

You're saying I am batshit crazy.
But I am having a really good time and I have had more fun developing the last two months than the entire year of 2020.

I think the only good thing I can tell you is that the day will come when my habits and determination are aligned.

slightchance

Mar 25, 2018
I thought I had deleted my initial thought which may have come over as a bit strong, but after reading your reply, with the level of details you're committed to - which, let's face it, only a few will appreciate or notice - I still think it is crazy to work on two games simultaneously. I would totally understand it if you would treat one game as your side project while pushing the other forward but that doesn't seem to be the case. And yes, I think we can and should compare devs like we do in other professions. When a cook makes an egg salad and the other is still deciding whether or not they'll use Indian or Belgian chicken breeds the points go to whoever will be finishing the dish in a reasonable time.

I am happy for you that you're comfortable with the way things are right now though and thank you for taking your time to reply. xxx

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
I like the confidence and drive to make working on 2 games at once work, but I'll believe it when I see it. There is a reason hardly any devs do more than 1 game at a time, and the ones that do work on more either have teams or their games are simple. This situation obviously doesn't apply to either of those things.

Working at your maximum output consistently isn't realistic. You may be able to make 40 renders per day... on some days. Doing that every day isn't reasonable. To compare it to something completely different. A star basketball player may be able to score 50 points at their best, but they just average 25 normally. Applying this to developing a game, you may be able to do 40 renders on your best days, but you average just 20 renders per day.

Increasing your average to 25 is far more likely and realistic than getting 40 every day. Simplifying the process ( and the renders themselves) would help to accomplish this, but you aren't the type that'd accept B+ or A- quality when you want A+ quality. Most people don't notice the difference, but you do.

I feel like you're setting yourself up to be burnt-out. You aren't a machine, you're never going to be perfectly optimized.

AlphaQ2

Jun 12, 2017
I like the confidence and drive to make working on 2 games at once work, but I'll believe it when I see it. There is a reason hardly any devs do more than 1 game at a time, and the ones that do work on more either have teams or their games are simple. This situation obviously doesn't apply to either of those things.

Working at your maximum output consistently isn't realistic. You may be able to make 40 renders per day... on some days. Doing that every day isn't reasonable. To compare it to something completely different. A star basketball player may be able to score 50 points at their best, but they just average 25 normally. Applying this to developing a game, you may be able to do 40 renders on your best days, but you average just 20 renders per day.

Increasing your average to 25 is far more likely and realistic than getting 40 every day. Simplifying the process ( and the renders themselves) would help to accomplish this, but you aren't the type that'd accept B+ or A- quality when you want A+ quality. Most people don't notice the difference, but you do.

I feel like you're setting yourself up to be burnt-out. You aren't a machine, you're never going to be perfectly optimized.
This is a fantastic analogy. Even the best basketball players who can average 30 or more need to take breaks here and there. A+ quality plus producing at your peak performance sounds like an easy way to burn yourself out. However, if you believe you can do it, then you have my trust and support. I'm sure many of us who support both of your games feel the same way. Take all the time you need man.

LuciferPrometheus

Apr 30, 2020
At the moment, I am still a "victim" to "overstimulation", I work on a scene- something is loading, and I tab into YT, etc.
I am currently curing this sickness of procrastination with meditation and other things.
I really hope whatever you're trying works for your own personal benefits and for the development of the game but the problems you mentioned here don't just go away on their own. You can't just force yourself to get past these things.

I think it has been established that you're passionate about developing. When you're passionate about something, and still procrastinate it, very seldom it is just laziness. It could be anything from depression to undiagnosed ADHD. You can't just tell yourself that I am going to get rid of these habits and then get updates out in 2-3 months. On top of that you're burdening yourself with two games.

I hope everything goes well but speaking from personal experience, it takes therapy and a lot of will power to get past these.

But best of luck anyway.

kacas

Mar 14, 2020
I've had high focus days in May in which I created 21 WiAB renders + one 120 frames lewd animation and 20 SG renders in around ten hours and then rendered them overnight.

It all comes down to focus. If the focus is there, I can do it.

I have to get rid of a damn annoying habit that we all probably know too well.
I think that would help if you start doing a weekly or bi-weekly report on the progress of the development on patreon.
Having to present numbers and progress consistently would be more like a obligation, you would put yourself in a position of having to have the commitment to do it.

LuciferPrometheus

Apr 30, 2020
I think that would help if you start doing a weekly or bi-weekly report on the progress of the development on patreon.
Having to present numbers and progress consistently would be more like a obligation, you would put yourself in a position of having to have the commitment to do it.
Or give himself anxiety attacks and not meet those deadlines anyway.

slayer991

Jun 8, 2017

But I do not plan on keeping things the way they are.

Currently, achievable things like: Optimising workflows, getting rid of bad habits that lead to procrastination, prepping for the next day, etc. are things I am currently taking action in.

The development is slower than it could be but this is a safety measure to not end up as fucked as I did with SG Ch3. And this Anti-burnout measure stays in check until my habits are optimized.

See down below about "optimizations" that are currently beyond my financial ability.
Oceanlab as much as I loved this game and your ability as an artist and writer, I think you've deserved a fair bit of criticism here for working on 2 games simultaneously.

From my perspective (and it's pretty clear that others share my perspective), pushing through to finish this game would have been the rational choice especially since the story is complete. I can understand how you may feel burned out working on the same thing, but instead of dividing time between 2 projects, perhaps focusing on doing less with one on a regular basis would have been the better choice. Working on 2 games simultaneously isn't going to boost your income. Having regular updates for 1 game and a reliable release cycle will.

As I stated elsewhere in this thread, you have the makings of a great game here but you risk losing all momentum and patrons by turning the release cycle into development hell. People that subscribe to the more successful devs, do so because they have at least quarterly release cycles and delivery of quality content during that timeframe. At the rate this game is going, it will take many more years to complete.

If this is nothing more than a passion project and you don't care about Patreon income, by all means...take as long as a you like. But if you consider this a full-time gig then you should be considering the fans of the game willing to cough up money for your content.

4.30 star(s) 185 Votes