4.30 star(s) 186 Votes

Euron13

Apr 7, 2019
Opinions on the choice to breakup with Miru or stay with her? I'm kind of on the fence on this one. Does one choice have a better story and events than the other? Pros and Cons?
I don’t think it’s something to worry about. In the old version of the game I chose to stay with her, because it seemed there was something big brewing with her backstory and I’d rather be on her good side.

But the game’s essentially it’s own beast at this point which isn’t going to be recognisable with the original and if that choice is even still on the table in the new iteration, it’s not something you’d have to deal with for a few updates.

VN..reader

Aug 28, 2020
Unlike Spielberg, who had a set(more or less) budget and a contractual delivery date (somewhat fungible), ocean in terms of what he produces and when is independent of any strictures. He truly is a completely free spirit restrained, if at all, by the tolerance of his patrons. They are completely different situations, that can't be compared.

I thought I made my preferences clear. I'd prefer Ocean finish this game before he reworks it. Hell I'd prefer he finish this game before he spends one further second on SG. But that is NOT up to me or to you! It's up to ocean. I'm not a patron for exactly that reason. Maybe you're a patron. If not then you, like me, simply consume ocean's work for free. If and when ocean completes the game it will my profound pleasure to either buy in on steam, should that be an option, or become a patron for a month to pay him for a completed VN that is high among my favorites.

Imagination, artistry, authorship follow their own path, which is different in everyone blessed with those gifts.

So as I said, I've resigned myself to wait for updates. If I hit the lottery and went to ocean and said "I'll pay you $500,000 if you focus solely on WIAB if you can complete it in 18 months", I'm pretty sure he'd tell me to go to hell, and I'd respect him for doing so.

WIAB and SG are his and his alone. Only ocean can decide how best to pursue his dream.

Ocean. I love both of your games, but I must confess WIAB is by far my favorite of the two. Thank you for your work.
Ouch. you do realize that my comment was not a personal attack on you. hell it was Not an Attack at all. simple commentary on the creative process of great artists. also you may have not heard or read Spielberg's Lucas' assertions about the making of Star Wars. greatness WANTs to create OMG. but often get caught up in Not being satisfied with their work. 'it's never good enough'.
if you follow Ocean on discord you will see he is very active. making stuff for his patrons and RE-RE-REworking his models. if, as you say . it is SOLELY up to the artist as to when or what he/she releases then it is ONLY a personal hobby. Not a 'production at all. and thus we would have No say. but to release/Publish a work of art you forgo your time in leau of your Responsability to your fans.
whether he is Milking it or is caught in self doubt and his NEED for Perfection, i don't know. but he has made it Public and made it a Job. Now you tell me... in all the world, what job allows one to get Paid WITHOUT producing results?? Name a book author that keeps a publisher without writing more books? a movie maker with NO movies, a musician with No music?? know what i mean Vern?

Last edited:
Reactions: regicide123

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
Ouch. you do realize that my comment was not a personal attack on you. hell it was Not an Attack at all. simple commentary on the creative process of great artists. also you may have not heard or read Spielberg's assertions about the making of Star Wars. greatness WANTs to create OMG. but often get caught up in Not being satisfied with their work. 'it's never good enough'.
if you follow Ocean on discord you will see he is very active. making stuff for his patrons and RE-RE-REworking his models. if, as you say . it is SOLELY up to the artist as to when or what he/she releases then it is ONLY a personal hobby. Not a 'production at all. and thus we would have No say. but to release/Publish a work of art you forgo your time in leau of your Responsability to your fans.
whether he is Milking it or is caught in self doubt and his NEED for Perfection, i don't know. but he has made it Public and made it a Job. Now you tell me... in all the world, what job allows one to get Paid WITHOUT producing results?? Name a book author that keeps a publisher without writing more books? a movie maker with NO movies, a musician with No music?? know what i mean Vern?
Never felt like you were attacking me. However you appeared to ascribe to me a belief that this was worth waiting for, I merely wanted to make clear that despite any desire I might have, my choices are to wait or walk away. It costs me nothing either way, I enjoy the VN, so I may as well wait.

I'm well aware of Ocean's pursuit of perfection. He's demonstrated that he'll devote time, at the expense of completing either VN, to push the envelop every time technology, tools, or improved skills allow him to. But as I've said elsewhere making it public does not make it a job. He's not contractually tied to any deliverable, so in fact, it is solely up to him when and what he releases. His patrons support him for their individual personal reasons. If any one of them becomes unhappy with him they can terminate their support. That's the sum total of his financial relationship with his patrons. This is the essence of patronage, which was how artists and musicians survived for centuries.

Tavi13

Feb 1, 2021
I was beginning to wonder if I had grabbed the decaf instead of the high octane coffee.....stared at that comment for about 5 minutes wondering 'wtf???'

Deleted member 216358

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 24, 2017
Unlike Spielberg, who had a set(more or less) budget and a contractual delivery date (somewhat fungible), ocean in terms of what he produces and when is independent of any strictures. He truly is a completely free spirit restrained, if at all, by the tolerance of his patrons. They are completely different situations, that can't be compared.

I thought I made my preferences clear. I'd prefer Ocean finish this game before he reworks it. Hell I'd prefer he finish this game before he spends one further second on SG. But that is NOT up to me or to you! It's up to ocean. I'm not a patron for exactly that reason. Maybe you're a patron. If not then you, like me, simply consume ocean's work for free. If and when ocean completes the game it will my profound pleasure to either buy in on steam, should that be an option, or become a patron for a month to pay him for a completed VN that is high among my favorites.

Imagination, artistry, authorship follow their own path, which is different in everyone blessed with those gifts.

So as I said, I've resigned myself to wait for updates. If I hit the lottery and went to ocean and said "I'll pay you $500,000 if you focus solely on WIAB if you can complete it in 18 months", I'm pretty sure he'd tell me to go to hell, and I'd respect him for doing so.

WIAB and SG are his and his alone. Only ocean can decide how best to pursue his dream.

Ocean. I love both of your games, but I must confess WIAB is by far my favorite of the two. Thank you for your work.
It has become common for authors to work on two games at the same time. Every new game they start adds to their Patreon subscriber count. Many authors have adopted this formula because it means more money. I don't know why that is but it has proven to be the case and developers have figured this out.

Personally, I agree with you that authors working on more than one game at a time (unless they have a full team behind them) is a huge turnoff to me. Updates are slow as it is and splitting your time between two different games when your doing most of the work solo strings subscribers along literally forever. I've seen authors release a third game when they started to lose subscribers (due to a painfully slow release schedule from working on multiple games at once) and get more naïve people paying them money. There are a lot of hero worshiping fanboys out there that are being strung along with nothing but hopes and dreams with painfully slow updates and little substance (FYI - I'm not picking on any particular developer here).

I personally didn't care for SG at all but enjoyed this game quite a bit more.

Last edited:

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
I was starting belive that i was wrong all my life about who made star wars :ROFLMAO:
You may have conflated it with the Indiana Jones saga. That was a Lucasfilm production directed by Spielberg. The two worked together on a lot of projects.

Though I must admit using Star Wars as an example of getting the project done is a bit strange considering how many times Lucas went back to change the movie (Han shot first!) every few years.

sorco2003

Sep 3, 2020
Though I must admit using Star Wars as an example of getting the project done is a bit strange considering how many times Lucas went back to change the movie (Han shot first!) every few years.
Just what you say is a great example of what the other user meant. Star wars was finished filming and came out as it was, as technology advanced or Lucas' mood, it was improved or changed or added, but before all that, you had a complete story.

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
i dunno man...it looks bleak its basically 2022 already, i'm surprised it isn't marked abandoned at this time...why do devs get lazier when they are basically spending their whole time inside?

Thread Updated: 2020-06-13
A better question might be why someone who's been around as long as you still doesn't understand how f95s Abandoned tag is applied?
Onhold: The game has been confirmed to be on hold by the developer.
Abandoned: The game has been abandoned (confirmed by the dev) or the developer hasn't posted anything related to the game for at least 3 months.
Oceanlab puts out progress updates here and on his other channels often enough to not warrant the Abandoned tag, which has nothing to do with when the game itself was last updated.

Sep 21, 2017
A better question might be why someone who's been around as long as you still doesn't understand how f95s Abandoned tag is applied?

Oceanlab puts out progress updates here and on his other channels often enough to not warrant the Abandoned tag, which has nothing to do with when the game itself was last updated.
so almost two years of no update just rambling naruto-filler "update jabber" is okay? sounds like someone is squeezing the lemon...literally

rerderrum

May 4, 2018
so almost two years of no update just rambling naruto-filler "update jabber" is okay? sounds like someone is squeezing the lemon...literally
But there is no update jabber? Ocean said it will take at least a year for the reworked update, shows previews and is very active. He said himself that right know the wait time for the update is way to long, but as he is not happy with the current Version of the Game he reworks it basically from scratch. He always was pretty open about issues and delays in the development. The only thing he said is that the first rework will drop this year, and for SG at least he kept his word within a span of ~ 6 weeks and explain the dealys that happend. I cannot tell if he is honest but to me it seems he is.

Reactions: Ahx

Ahx

Jul 9, 2021
Here we go again...

Of course there is always someone who talks without even giving it a single thought and jumping to the worst conclusion there is. So i'll give you a piece of my mind since you're obviously missing some.

Oceanlab is currently working on two games, WIAB and Summer's Gone. He works non-stop , cooking renders 12 hours every day. Two updates of Summer's Gone had been released so far since the release of the old chapter 0.6 while he has been working on the reworked chapter one.

WIAB is Ocean's first game ever. He was inexperienced , lacked some essential skills and was at the dawn of his 3D rendering ability when he started to develop WIAB. So yeah, he made a lot of mistakes and he is fixing them.

As you can see , the dev's skills have been improved to a great extent throughout all these chapters. He picked up all those skills while developing Summer's Gone which had inevitably changed things for WIAB and opened another door that needed to be entered for the sake of this game's and his other planned project's future.

The old chapters are being reworked because there has been made a huge amount of changes on how the story and the plot progresses. That's right it is rewritten. All the events are set in a whole different level now with 99 % new contents including the ones that got removed in the old chapters because of the inability of his old equipment to render those well surrounded backgrounds.

This game is the foundation of all his other planned games including Summer's Gone (They all happen in the same universe and connected). That's why it is necessary for it to be reworked.

The 1st chapter is always the tough one. Since you are starting from the very beginning, you'll have to create new places and backgrounds(what a drag that one is) and refine and define the old models. When you have finally managed to establish a base, the rest becomes easy. The 1st chapter is almost cooked and the tables are being set as we speak.

Not just that , if my memory serves me right , Oceanlab mentioned that the reworked 1st chapter is twice as big as the old chapter 1 (0.1). And it has so much insight that you can find in the old first two chapters alone. It'll be totally worth it.

I can't explain to you in a much clearer way...If this is still not enough of an explanation for you, you can wait till Oceanlab give one right after the update.

4.30 star(s) 186 Votes