4.30 star(s) 186 Votes

D9074

Feb 21, 2021
I saw that post. But I will keep my stance. Just because it's free, doesn't mean it isn't good. And it doesn't have the baggage of licensed music either, that he is getting to experience now.

This is the same issue that has been talked a lot about in this thread over the past couple years. He chases the highest quality possible, even if he doesn't need to. And that, in the end, hurts the games.
Even though you're right about just because its free it doesn't mean its not good it is still irrelevant. If someone wants a certain type of music for their game then who are we to say they should do it different? our "stance" doesnt mean anything. Thing is with free music is anyone can use it, if he buys it then its exclusive for him to use..

i dont think chasing the highest quality hurts a game, people have their own standards. One person might be willing to put shit out for the least amount of money possible and to get as much money as they can back. They will go with lack of quality to put out updates quicker and give everyone all the sex scenes they want with fuck all story just to make a certain fan base happy..

for me i respect that he doesnt do that, he wants his best work out there and doesnt want to put out crap, he will take time to make his games look, sound the best that he can.. end of the day its his game and its up to him what quality he puts out there and how much he spends on doing that is his choice.

Reactions: Echbert

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
Even though you're right about just because its free it doesn't mean its not good it is still irrelevant. If someone wants a certain type of music for their game then who are we to say they should do it different? our "stance" doesnt mean anything. Thing is with free music is anyone can use it, if he buys it then its exclusive for him to use..

i dont think chasing the highest quality hurts a game, people have their own standards. One person might be willing to put shit out for the least amount of money possible and to get as much money as they can back. They will go with lack of quality to put out updates quicker and give everyone all the sex scenes they want with fuck all story just to make a certain fan base happy..

for me i respect that he doesnt do that, he wants his best work out there and doesnt want to put out crap, he will take time to make his games look, sound the best that he can.. end of the day its his game and its up to him what quality he puts out there and how much he spends on doing that is his choice.
I didn't say he can't get licensed music. He just has to cope and deal with the obstacles it brings. The cost, and lack of control. If the music producer decides they don't want their music in the game anymore, he has to abide by their rules. This is what he is currently dealing with. It's always risky becoming dependent on a 3rd party for an aspect of your game. And sometimes you get screwed over. Coders vanishing. Writers quitting. Artists getting hired by someone else. And music producers deciding they don't want their music used anymore.

Chasing the highest quality doesn't hurt the game in the classic sense. Obviously, higher quality generally = better game. What I mean by him chasing quality is hurting the game is in regards to the prospects of this game ever being completed. It's really, really hard if not impossible to get both high quantity + high quality and deliver in a reasonable timeframe.

And he is trying to do this with with 2 games that are both supposed to be very long, adding even more difficulty. Like I mentioned last year, he is basically trying to combine Pinkcakes quantity and Philly's quality. And do that for 2 games at the same time. A daunting task, to say the least.

D9074

Feb 21, 2021
I didn't say he can't get licensed music. He just has to cope and deal with the obstacles it brings. The cost, and lack of control. If the music producer decides they don't want their music in the game anymore, he has to abide by their rules. This is what he is currently dealing with. It's always risky becoming dependent on a 3rd party for an aspect of your game. And sometimes you get screwed over. Coders vanishing. Writers quitting. Artists getting hired by someone else. And music producers deciding they don't want their music used anymore.

Chasing the highest quality doesn't hurt the game in the classic sense. Obviously, higher quality generally = better game. What I mean by him chasing quality is hurting the game is in regards to the prospects of this game ever being completed. It's really, really hard if not impossible to get both high quantity + high quality and deliver in a reasonable timeframe.

And he is trying to do this with with 2 games that are both supposed to be very long, adding even more difficulty. Like I mentioned last year, he is basically trying to combine Pinkcakes quantity and Philly's quality. And do that for 2 games at the same time. A daunting task, to say the least.
I get it but its still his choice and im sure he wants exclusive music compared to some free music that any game can use. Just need a agreement with the artists or producers of what its used for and a contract where they cant just randomly back out of. as long as everything is agreed to and known from the start then it shouldnt cause too many problems. I personally do not care at all about music in games, i dont listen to the audio and im still very immersed in the game but i know others do like it. it would be selfish of me to say dont spend time on music and just carry on

GetOutOfMyLab

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
it would be selfish of me to say dont spend time on music and just carry on
I like this mentality and wish more people would share it. It can apply to many things in these AVNs. I also don't care for music (or SFX for that matter), so usually mute everything before I play. There are a few AVNs where it actually is really good, so I'll leave it on. Anyway, I agree with your sentiment.

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
I like this mentality and wish more people would share it. It can apply to many things in these AVNs. I also don't care for music (or SFX for that matter), so usually mute everything before I play. There are a few AVNs where it actually is really good, so I'll leave it on. Anyway, I agree with your sentiment.
While I am in your camp (I don't like music when I am reading comic books either) I'm prepared to let the game dev do what they need to in order to make the game they want. I have also seen some examples where devs use musical choices to elevate their games. Most of the time, though, they are just noise. It is a fine art to appropriately score a visual novel and it probably takes more effort than it seems to from the outside.

The Senior Perv

May 4, 2022

Do you know how many episodes does Ocean plans for both WIAB and SG?

The Senior Perv

May 4, 2022
Around 30 chapters for each one, as is stated in his discord.
What?! That's insane... and I thought DrPinkCake was a perfectionist; Ocean is on another level. We get a chapter per year for each of his works, so I'm gonna be in my late 50's or early 60's by the time both WIAB and SG are completed. Oh well, my grandchildren will have to tell me how WIAB and SG ended.

mommysboiii

Oct 17, 2019
What?! That's insane... and I thought DrPinkCake was a perfectionist; Ocean is on another level. We get a chapter per year for each of his works, so I'm gonna be in my late 50's or early 60's by the time both WIAB and SG are completed. Oh well, my grandchildren will have to tell me how WIAB and SG ended.
dont worry silicon valley got you mind uploads are coming bruv (y) (y)

D2M3

Jan 20, 2018
Ocean themselves will croak long before these projects finish.

MIkedante

Dec 10, 2019
Ocean themselves will croak long before these projects finish.
In this case he must start learn, how to programed some kind of AI to correctly continued in his work after he passes. Now jokes aside... I bet he thinks that in close future will rendering and PC technology advance so much faster, that he will be able doing updates on much shorter base, than he can now. In this case there is some "But..." again. If technology advance, he clearly can do another rework of games, because of his vision of perfectionism, which he have fixed in his head. :unsure:

4.30 star(s) 186 Votes