4.30 star(s) 186 Votes

Euron13

Apr 7, 2019
I can't really take him at his word at this point and my guess is that even this next update that's supposedly around the corner is probably is still over a month away.

But if by some miracle Ocean's not being optimistic and updates do become more frequent, then great. I'll believe it when I see it, but great.

Razrback16

Jul 20, 2020
If Ocean does indeed start cranking out updates every few months for SG, I'll definitely up my Patreon tier.

lipe2410

Forum Fanatic
Dec 23, 2018
I saw this and I was very discouraged.... WIAB 2.5... to lengthen the long road even further

View attachment 1983282
But I also saw this
View attachment 1983285
Obviously I'm not going to take it 100% seriously, but it gives you an idea of how confident he is of getting the 4.5 out of SG before the end of the year.... It could be a good sign.
Sweet, now the number of releases to finish WIAB went from 28 to 56 releases after ch. 2 :HideThePain:

Trojaner

Donor
Apr 4, 2018
And every release takes like a minimum of 6 months so that equates to 336 months at least to finish the game, but don't forget in a few years he will wanna remake the game because it will be outdated again.
The question still remains, will we see an end to either VN's or will our light go out if we cross the threshold of death first. :unsure:

Reactions: seb75

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019
I've no doubt that some people here would maintain an interest in this game for the next 28 years, but I highly doubt the dev will continue working on it into his 50s–60s.

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
The odds he manages to get SG out in October are slim to none. I'd guess we'll get WIAB sometime in late August or early/mid September. He has made posts before about getting updates out quicker, so I'll believe it when I see it. He wanted to get updates out every couple months a 1-2 years ago, and it obviously didn't happen.

His posts about outperforming his GPU (a 3090 or two?) are concerning to me. Because he still seems to not understand that he is part of the problem. It's the exact same thing I posted over a year ago. The issue isn't that he can outperform his hardware, therefor he should just get better hardware, it's that he'll always outperform his hardware because he can't help himself.

Looking back on the post I linked. It's exactly 1 year ago. And it still applies 100% to now. Down to the details about outperforming his hardware and even reworking SG, which he is doing...again.

Euron13

Apr 7, 2019
I made the GRRM joke earlier, but I’m genuinely bracing for the same “plenty of great stories have gone unfinished” post that GRRM gave a few months back.

And to be honest, my feeling is that when WIAB does drop an update it really won’t be worth the wait. It’ll be pretty, probably spectacular in terms of visuals, but in terms of story progression and depth of choice it’s probably going to be a long montage of cinematics rather than an interactive experience.

Reactions: drooopy

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
I made the GRRM joke earlier, but I’m genuinely bracing for the same “plenty of great stories have gone unfinished” post that GRRM gave a few months back.

And to be honest, my feeling is that when WIAB does drop an update it really won’t be worth the wait. It’ll be pretty, probably spectacular in terms of visuals, but in terms of story progression and depth of choice it’s probably going to be a long montage of cinematics rather than an interactive experience.
I kinda feel about this game like Gordon felt about that egg salad sandwich he set into the future in The Orville. If it ever shows up it will be a nice surprise.

Reactions: Euron13

Fap2766

Sep 17, 2020
It would be interesting to know if developers when starting a VN have a whole story mapped out or they just make it up as they go along. I would have thought it would be better to do the former but I rarely see that here (or it's not obvious they have a plan!)

For me, unless there was some significant technical flaws in an earlier release, "reworking" is code for " I have ran out of ideas but want to keep milking my Patreons".

I absolutely get and appreciate that the vast majority of devs do this as a hobby and not as a career and very few people are in a position to work on a project for years and then release a final version in 1 go - you clearly get more income by releasing in stages (bit like early access games on Steam).

I just wish there was a bit more honesty about where the dev is at with their thinking - they earn so much good will over the months/years then some seem content to burn all that in a short space of time for a few $$.

Oceanlab is clearly a very talented artist and I do appreciate good visuals, but give me a compelling story over a shiny VN with no substance any day of the week.

• Angry
Reactions: Balu83

Andeddo

May 6, 2018
It would be interesting to know if developers when starting a VN have a whole story mapped out or they just make it up as they go along. I would have thought it would be better to do the former but I rarely see that here (or it's not obvious they have a plan!)
Most devs i know do have layed out plan of the story, at least. With events, etc. Some even have complete plot, and some have only main plotline, leaving side content to be influenced by patrons/fans/future developments and devs taste.

For me, unless there was some significant technical flaws in an earlier release, "reworking" is code for " I have ran out of ideas but want to keep milking my Patreons".
Ain't that a truth

Uriel ☁

Nov 28, 2017
The old v0.6 is still in the OP, go try it then come back and tell me if it ain't full of technical flaws lol.
It still has some redeeming qualities, especially in the latest chapters, but several key characters are unsalvageable.
That is also ignoring how the visual quality went from literal potato to the best on the market.

Reactions: johnelros

AngelsAfterDark

Jun 11, 2021

I absolutely get and appreciate that the vast majority of devs do this as a hobby and not as a career and very few people are in a position to work on a project for years and then release a final version in 1 go - you clearly get more income by releasing in stages (bit like early access games on Steam).

I just wish there was a bit more honesty about where the dev is at with their thinking - they earn so much good will over the months/years then some seem content to burn all that in a short space of time for a few $$.

Oceanlab is clearly a very talented artist and I do appreciate good visuals, but give me a compelling story over a shiny VN with no substance any day of the week.
I know I too made a joke about Ocean reworking the rework but honestly I don't see him doing it again. And i definitely don't think he reworked this game because he ran out of ideas or that he's trying to milk the game. If u take a look at the original game, it's very outdated(excluding the last update)so it makes sense for him to want to go back and rework it(he's doing it with SG as well) . Also the original wasn't that good when it started out, he's writing improved alot and his presentation improved to a point where visually its the best ine this industry. As an artist myself i can respect him going back to the drawing board to make this game as good as he possibly can in the vision that he originally had. It wouldn't have worked out if half way through the game the MC changed and the overall story and characters changed, so a rework was needed. Ocean also said before that due to limitations he couldn't make WIAB the way he intended to but now he can and we've already seen how superior even just CH 1 is compared to the entirety of the original game. Not just visually but the story feels more natural and realistic then it did before. I remember how dumb the the scene of Helen reuniting with the MC was in the original. She just straight up set on his lap for no reason and shoved her butt into his crotch, like :WaitWhat: . So yeah change was definitely needed, sucks that 6 CHs had to be sacrificed but an artist does what's required not expected.

Mortarion

Donor
Oct 22, 2017
Most devs i know do have layed out plan of the story, at least. With events, etc. Some even have complete plot, and some have only main plotline, leaving side content to be influenced by patrons/fans/future developments and devs taste.

Ain't that a truth
The old v0.6 is still in the OP, go try it then come back and tell me if it ain't full of technical flaws lol.
It still has some redeeming qualities, especially in the latest chapters, but several key characters are unsalvageable.
That is also ignoring how the visual quality went from literal potato to the best on the market.
I know I too made a joke about Ocean reworking the rework but honestly I don't see him doing it again. And i definitely don't think he reworked this game because he ran out of ideas or that he's trying to milk the game. If u take a look at the original game, it's very outdated(excluding the last update)so it makes sense for him to want to go back and rework it(he's doing it with SG as well) . Also the original wasn't that good when it started out, he's writing improved alot and his presentation improved to a point where visually its the best ine this industry. As an artist myself i can respect him going back to the drawing board to make this game as good as he possibly can in the vision that he originally had. It wouldn't have worked out if half way through the game the MC changed and the overall story and characters changed, so a rework was needed. Ocean also said before that due to limitations he couldn't make WIAB the way he intended to but now he can and we've already seen how superior even just CH 1 is compared to the entirety of the original game. Not just visually but the story feels more natural and realistic then it did before. I remember how dumb the the scene of Helen reuniting with the MC was in the original. She just straight up set on his lap for no reason and shoved her butt into his crotch, like :WaitWhat: . So yeah change was definitely needed, sucks that 6 CHs had to be sacrificed but an artist does what's required not expected.

I don't want to disturb this conversation of yours, but just to prevent some nasty missunderstandings in the future, i will throw this fully passionless in:

1660649516192.png

4.30 star(s) 186 Votes