hottarod

Oct 14, 2019
LOL. This is all too interesting.

I'm on my second walk through of the story and I paid a lot more attention to a lot of things and especially all the information that is in the will. The dead dad character is not all that bad actually. He was ruthless in his business dealings and that spilled over into his personal relationships which isn't necessarily right but it happens. He took the wrong approach to trying to make something out of his kid but it is hard to fault his intentions. He detested what his first wife did to the kid with the momma's boy treatment. He wanted the kid to come up tough probably like he did. It is the same reason he forbade the son to have a relationship with Monica and her daughters. He forbade Elaine from doing the same thing to him as well. In the end all it did was make the son feel isolated even in his own home with his own family.

Even in his death, dad is trying to get his son to grow up and become a responsible adult, become a man and make something out of himself instead of just bumming off his rich dad and then bumming the rest of his life off his rich dad's estate. The dad anticipated that Elaine would immediately through the son out of the house and he said that in the will. He willed him the beach house, the car and the cash in part out of fear that Elaine would do just exactly what she did. The dad didn't want his son to be homeless and I'm sure he would have guessed where the son would go if he got tossed out and that is exactly what he did.

Elaine's big 180 degree turn around and guilt complex toward the kid seems to have started right after the initial reading of the will. Maybe coincidental but maybe not. Her big motivation is the house. For her it is all about the house. She will do and say anything to get the house including screw the MC's brains out if that is what is required. It is not a given that she will get to keep the house, LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: acewinz

acewinz

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 15, 2018
Wow... Discussion got serious up in here. We all have life experiences that color our perception on how the characters in the game really are based on what we've seen or heard (and choose to believe or not). The best thing about this kind of game is everyone is varying degrees of right based on what they know and to a significant degree how their playthrough goes.

I don't want to change anyone's views on things or give anything away... but you know I enjoy interjecting and hopefully add rather than detract to these kind of things. I also have the benefit of having been a player before a collaborator with Cheeky and while I know more to base my judgements on obviously to write for the characters... My views aren't the end all, nor even are Cheeky's. That is part of the beauty of a choice based game with a degree of open interpretation. You have the tools to make your own narrative to a great degree.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

acewinz

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 15, 2018
And we have nothing to say she wasn't either... We have a lack of proof of her being a good or a bad person. She was purposely created that way so we could form our own opinions. I based my opinion on how she was in the beginning of the game, not how she was 10 updates later (or whatever it was). The old saying about having only one chance to make a good first impression thing. Elaine had years to try to show she was a good person to the MC and didn't have a change of heart until it was too late for me to want to change my opinion of her.

The only issue I have with the writing of the game is the nebulous nature of Don's "assholeness". Everyone except for Elaine agrees that Don was an asshole, he is called an asshole by a few of the characters, but we don't know anything about how he was other than the custody battle/keeping the MC away from Monica/the fact that Don had cheated on the MC's mom. We don't know if Don was emotionally, verbally, or physically abusive... We don't know if Elaine stood by while Don yelled at, beat, or in some other way abused the MC. Elaine is guilty by association but we don't even know what she is "associated" with in the years the MC was living at home with his dad. If the dad wasn't abusive in anyway then is he an asshole only for the past events and the will conditions?
I think I won't give much away in saying Don was not physically abusive to anyone. But you can ascertain his demeanor somewhat directly from the recording he left the MC.

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
Wow... Discussion got serious up in here. We all have life experiences that color our perception on how the characters in the game really are based on what we've seen or heard (and choose to believe or not). The best thing about this kind of game is everyone is varying degrees of right based on what they know and to a significant degree how their playthrough goes.

I don't want to change anyone's views on things or give anything away... but you know I enjoy interjecting and hopefully add rather than detract to these kind of things. I also have the benefit of having been a player before a collaborator with Cheeky and while I know more to base my judgements on obviously to write for the characters... My views aren't the end all, nor even are Cheeky's. That is part of the beauty of a choice based game with a degree of open interpretation. You have the tools to make your own narrative to a great degree.

You are a brave man for stepping in in the middle of this Ace ;)

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
Ok! *puts on hip waders and a brave/foolish (didn't take much...) expression

I'm on Ava's side regarding Elaine (well duh). I won't go deeper in to the discussion about abuse since I have literally nothing to add to that.

I do think people are being a little harsh on her but as Ace said, we all see things from our own perspective so it's all good. I'm also 99% certain that Elaine is not the villain here and after the cliffhanger i'm even more certain (99.1%). I think she is being set up by Bella/Jo.

Is calling Elaine a cold hearted bitch hardcoded or a choice? I don't remember calling her that since I went the kind route with her from the start. Almost all accusations about how she behaved towards the MC has come from Bella and Elaine herself in my game.

*gets out of these ridiculous rubber pants......

Reactions: WhiteyG
4.30 star(s) 326 Votes