Yukemoto

Jun 19, 2020
The fact this was done without the Dev's consent is reason enough to remove the MOD who went through with this charade. It being a pirate site that has so far been pretty transparent and diligent about building trust with their base, this weird joke killed a lot of that trust.

It'll be water under the bridge once that mod is removed, as well as an apology to the dev for putting them in the middle of this.

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
The fact this was done without the Dev's consent is reason enough to remove the MOD who went through with this charade. It being a pirate site that has so far been pretty transparent and diligent about building trust with their base, this weird joke killed a lot of that trust.

It'll be water under the bridge once that mod is removed, as well as an apology to the dev for putting them in the middle of this.
Sadly that won't happen. We have been in talks with someone on the staff and they pretty much said nothing can be done about it ( I think they even said they wouldn't stop the prank and let it continue ).

Yukemoto

Jun 19, 2020
Sadly that won't happen. We have been in talks with someone on the staff and they pretty much said nothing can be done about it ( I think they even said they wouldn't stop the prank and let it continue ).
Trash situation all the way around. Your game is solid, I hope this doesn't discourage your momentum, and I look forward to the real update!

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
Trash situation all the way around. Your game is solid, I hope this doesn't discourage your momentum, and I look forward to the real update!
We're still going strong as ever. Would be nice to know who leaked the actual Ep22 script though from the QC team so we can move on and get a release out quicker but now we're having to test it ourselves and with the fixes ontop of that it's just slowing us down.

cbrxx1100

Nov 6, 2018
hi
the game does not work, it does not launch. I copied the unzipped files in the game that I had version "episode 21", and when I client on the EXE file, I have the hourglass 10 seconds and then nothing..

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
hi
the game does not work, it does not launch. I copied the unzipped files in the game that I had version "episode 21", and when I client on the EXE file, I have the hourglass 10 seconds and then nothing..
The release isn't a working game. Someone thought it would be funny to release a non-working game on April fools day.

Reactions: acewinz

cbrxx1100

Nov 6, 2018
error message :

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While parsing C:\Users\f.lessade\Downloads\WhereTheHeartIs-Ep21-pc\WhereTheHeartIs-Ep21-pc/game/Episode22.rpy.
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xeb in position 0: invalid continuation byte

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 326, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "renpy/main.py", line 447, in main
renpy.game.script.load_script() # sets renpy.game.script.
File "renpy/script.py", line 283, in load_script
self.load_appropriate_file(".rpyc", ".rpy", dir, fn, initcode)
File "renpy/script.py", line 773, in load_appropriate_file
data, stmts = self.load_file(dir, fn + source)
File "renpy/script.py", line 590, in load_file
stmts = renpy.parser.parse(fullfn)
File "renpy/parser.py", line 2900, in parse
lines = list_logical_lines(fn, filedata, linenumber)
File "renpy/parser.py", line 220, in list_logical_lines
data = f.read().decode("utf-8", "python_strict")
File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python2.7/encodings/utf_8.py", line 16, in decode
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xeb in position 0: invalid continuation byte

thehexcomplex

Feb 1, 2019
Sorry you were put in the middle of this. I'd like to think the joke was made with good intentions and not out of malice. I saw the update and was excited, for whatever reason I thought I would come back and download it later instead of then, lucky for me I did that. I think people who are saying this joke damaged the site's reputation are taking F95 just a little too seriously.

Reactions: sava75

t3alqdansam

Engaged Member
Jan 30, 2021
Adding my 2cents... sound/music can add a lot. The thing is, there's only a few who really mastered the art of adding a good score. Most of the VN's which have music fail to deliver that. When done right it adds a great deal to the power of immersion, if not then the "Mute All" is usually the first thing you reach for.
The argument that sound isn't important because it is a VN completely misses the mark... Even the argument that Charlie Chaplin and the likes had great success with their silent movies doesn't cut wood, coz even they had music added to convey the atmosphere. So if that were true, tv shows and movies wouldn't get great music scores added...
Music is not a requirement. It is an extra. Does it help some - yes. Does it bother others - yes. Should it be a focus of a VN - No. It is an extra that may or may not help. It varies by person. The focus must be the story and the art first. Music cannot fix a broken story or gloss over poor art. After that, additions such as animations and music can be brought in to improve the product. As long as it adds a positive it is fine. If it detracts or wastes time it is not good. There is no absolute here, which you implied, and it must be measured by the Devs as to the value added and the audience they serve. Would you prefer that each update be extended to add music which may or may not (as you yourself indicate) add value. I think many would disagree and prefer shorter update times. The possibility of Music added as a major clean up at the end of the VN (as acewinz has indicated) is likely to be very acceptable.

4.40 star(s) 326 Votes