redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
WYHI has a lot of branches. Sure, 10 might not be needed but always better to have too many than not enough. That being said the beta releases can drop at all hours of the day and best to have multiple people in different time zones just so we know it is getting tested if we're away.

From what I understand it was someone on the QC team that came up with the idea and sent the broken version of the game to a mod ( that mod either knew it was broke or uploaded it thinking it was a real release ) and then when the mods found out it was a broken version, rather than deleting it, they doubled down and claimed it as an April Fools joke they were in on. But we can't be 100% sure who was behind it or how it went down unless someone on the mod team talks or the person on the QC team. I believe it has all been resolved now though and the broken version has been removed.

It still had the Ep22.rpy script that only the QC team has access to.

CellStudios

and team member
Game Developer
Aug 3, 2019
I didn't download it myself but another member of the dev team did and he said it had out current text version of the ep22 with our story in it. Let me double check with the team. Appreciate you responding though.

StantheMan69

Aug 10, 2017
The saying.... Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. Come to mind here... Really? You know people that did download it on every link before they did take a couple mins to check out the thread to see what was going on? :rolleyes:
Yes I do know of two friends that down loaded it on every link. I downloaded it twice myself because I had issues in the past where a like was missing a file and other link worked fine. I also don't think they read any of the threads. There fault or not for being dumb. Point is it is a kind of crappy prank to pull when they could of just made the links go to a rick roll video and more people would of got a laugh and knew it was a prank right away.

acewinz

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 15, 2018
There is no leak, the joke version was just the previous one minus the executable.
Appreciate the heads up. I downloaded the "test" prank version myself to see what was in it and either I f'd up or my atom editor pulled some shenanigans on me because of the proper naming structure when I loaded it. Because I saw an older partial version of our ep22. But i tried loading the test again today and my editor just crashes and won't load it. Cell did get it to load though and it was just jibberish.

So while I am happy we don't have to sack any of our QC team and can let them back at the beta, probably gonna need to apologize to them a few times first I imagine. Still wish this all could have been avoided though by not celebrating such a stupid holiday or some upfront communication from the f95 staff when we attempted to straighten it out that day.

acewinz

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 15, 2018
What requires that many testers? Is the game that complex? Outside of dev and an editor/proofreader, there are TWO of us that beta COBD. We pull in 2-3 more guys in for shits and giggles right before release to give fresh playthroughs, but that is it.
At one point WTHI had over 250 variables. After some trimming down as we went we got it down to 150ish now. Keep in mind just a single girls date variable can have a dozen or more "stages" that are hardly straight forward and the game is so complex with the interwoven way the characters will interact with the MC based on his choices, both with them and other characters, that people who have tried to do walkthroughs (besides us) could at best manage to lay out a single path which explored the most content. Then most of them gave up. :D

As for our QC team, they are great at finding the typo's and variable snafu's on the main paths, but given the way so many variables can end up interacting in the game it would be near impossible for a small team of 10 or so guys and 3-4 devs to test everything. There are literally times we won't see an error crop up even post release for months. Then have a single report from a patreon that just happened to take a particular set of a dozen choices through the game that ended up with something unexpected.

I have played thousands of other AVN's here and even started with the old-school Japanese AVN's. I know I'm biased, but there are none I have played that match the impact of choice WTHI has on the narrative, both in the story arcs, and for the girls involved. But don't take my word for it. Give it a try.

D9074

Feb 21, 2021
its kinda crazy really because it could of fucked with their money, also took days for them to find out that it wasnt actually leaked by a member of their team.. if you gonna pull pranks like this ya need to be more clear with the people it affects.

BorgiaBou

Jul 24, 2021
So while I am happy we don't have to sack any of our QC team and can let them back at the beta, probably gonna need to apologize to them a few times first I imagine.
Wow nice to see that your team is not at fault after all the threats and bashing coming from you guys... like one guy here said and was called a troll you should've done this "investigation" in silence just you the devs with your QC team...

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
Wow nice to see that your team is not at fault after all the threats and bashing coming from you guys... like one guy here said and was called a troll you should've done this "investigation" in silence just you the devs with your QC team...
And the award for blaming the victims of the stupid prank goes to...

Seriously, dude, EVERYONE thought that a partial, broken version of EP22 was leaked, among the people here being pissed, partially thinking it was the dev's fault and the Site staff doing fuck-all to explain or take responsibility, blaming the team for their reaction is definitely aiming the gun at the wrong target.
If anything, the QC team should also be pissed about the stupid April Fools' joke.

Major Wanker

Apr 27, 2017
Usually when pranks of this nature happen the f95 staff usually consult the dev team
They pull a few pranks every april 1st so yall should be used to it by now.
Seems someone dropped the ball on this one, having said that aside from the potential damage done to the dev team has been funny to see all the reactions from the fans You know you have an amazing game when the fans have a full blown melt down.
Anywho keep up the great work with the game and to the mod who dropped the ball.....FUCK YOU

botc76

Donor
Oct 23, 2016
So who was the bright spark that thought getting people to download 4GB of garbage and pinning it on the developer was a funny joke?
Eh, after the reactions it got, if they named who actually came up with it, would feel a bit like throwing the guy to the wolves. :)

BisonFan02

Apr 2, 2018
At one point WTHI had over 250 variables. After some trimming down as we went we got it down to 150ish now. Keep in mind just a single girls date variable can have a dozen or more "stages" that are hardly straight forward and the game is so complex with the interwoven way the characters will interact with the MC based on his choices, both with them and other characters, that people who have tried to do walkthroughs (besides us) could at best manage to lay out a single path which explored the most content. Then most of them gave up. :D

As for our QC team, they are great at finding the typo's and variable snafu's on the main paths, but given the way so many variables can end up interacting in the game it would be near impossible for a small team of 10 or so guys and 3-4 devs to test everything. There are literally times we won't see an error crop up even post release for months. Then have a single report from a patreon that just happened to take a particular set of a dozen choices through the game that ended up with something unexpected.

I have played thousands of other AVN's here and even started with the old-school Japanese AVN's. I know I'm biased, but there are none I have played that match the impact of choice WTHI has on the narrative, both in the story arcs, and for the girls involved. But don't take my word for it. Give it a try.
I know those pains.....Philly's game has its fair share of variables/score checks that can be a bit cumbersome to check. That is a lionshare of the work. We catch conflicts all the time.

Reactions: botc76 and acewinz

botc76

Donor
Oct 23, 2016
How about they just throw him off the moderation team instead? Anybody who thought any part of this was a good idea shouldn't be trusted with a pair of safety scissors let alone actual responsibilities.
You are a member since 2017, do you even consider that a possibility? That's not how the staff rolls, no matter how much one of them fucks up, the others have his back.

kevinhnl

Mar 23, 2019
If you can handle a joke or not. Worry over creators that leave their game and skip to a New project instead of hate the ones that take the time to deliver a fine game that works look great make sence and one day have an actual ending. Yes the wait can be frustrating when you just want to play more and than a test gets you thrilled for nothing but you know by now he delivers. You can always decide to wait to the end to play it straight from where you were to the end if you can handle the fact it takes a lot of time creating a game like this. I wait so long to continue milfy city and still the story is on hold. And so are some other great games. But by spilling hate in here it wont take less time to create a game. Show some respect to the ones take time and effort to create a game to your likeing. Or try to do it yourself when you think you can do better.

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
If you can handle a joke or not. Worry over creators that leave their game and skip to a New project instead of hate the ones that take the time to deliver a fine game that works look great make sence and one day have an actual ending. Yes the wait can be frustrating when you just want to play more and than a test gets you thrilled for nothing but you know by now he delivers. You can always decide to wait to the end to play it straight from where you were to the end if you can handle the fact it takes a lot of time creating a game like this. I wait so long to continue milfy city and still the story is on hold. And so are some other great games. But by spilling hate in here it wont take less time to create a game. Show some respect to the ones take time and effort to create a game to your likeing. Or try to do it yourself when you think you can do better.
Most of the comment are people being irked at the mods of the forum, not so much the Devs themselves. I get your point but using MiCi as an example is low hanging fruit :). There isn't anything remotely comparable to how he acts and how these people operate. Other Devs should be taking notes I think.

4.40 star(s) 326 Votes