Mar 22, 2020
Some more very minor niggles from 0.83.
I'm only posting these, as it's "proof reading" normally I'd just ignore and enjoy the game.

Typo by the name when giving new combs

WR 3.jpg

It should be "are" not "ar"

WR 2.jpg

The second big quest, to pay back the debt, the remaining days doesn't change

WR 4.jpg

Reactions: fidless

JokerLeader

Former Legendary Game Compressor
Modder
Donor
Compressor
Mar 16, 2019
Wicked Rouge [v0.8.3 Public] fidless

Original Size Win: 1.22 GB
Original Size Mac: 1.36 GB
Original Size Linux: 1.24 GB

Compressed Size Win: 689 MB: -
Compressed Size Mac: 823 MB: -
Compressed Size Linux: 700 MB: -

This compression is unofficial. Compressing process reduces image/audio/video quality and can break the game, be aware of that.

You can find all of my Walkthrough Mods content here:

Or you can:

Last edited:

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
Wicked Rouge [v0.8.3 Public] fidless

Original Size Win: 1.22 GB
Original Size Mac: 1.36 GB
Original Size Linux: 1.24 GB

Compressed Size Win: 689 MB: MEGA - WORKUPLOAD
Compressed Size Mac: 823 MB: MEGA - WORKUPLOAD
Compressed Size Linux: 700 MB: MEGA - WORKUPLOAD

This compression is unofficial. Compressing process reduces image/audio/video quality and can break the game, be aware of that.

You can find all of my Walkthrough Mods content here:

Or you can:
This will need replacing the "system" folder to avoid graphical glitches.
(I have no affiliations with this person. Use at your own risk)

LazyKeks

Jan 16, 2018
For MC, I could easily do that as the name actually attached to a code string which can be easily be changed within the game, but I made a choice not to do that. Yaichi is Yaichi. Taking away his name would lessen his identity.
(IMHO) Changing your name does a lot more than just changing your name. Personally, I find it easier to get used to the role of mс if I can change his name. And when the name is locked, for me the game from RPG turns into nukige with a grind, I'm not interested in the story of strangers I look at from the outside, but I'm interested in being in the shoes of 1 of these people.
Good luck to the author with the game, it has potential. But this approach did not work for me.

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
(IMHO) Changing your name does a lot more than just changing your name. Personally, I find it easier to get used to the role of mс if I can change his name. And when the name is locked, for me the game from RPG turns into nukige with a grind, I'm not interested in the story of strangers I look at from the outside, but I'm interested in being in the shoes of 1 of these people.
Good luck to the author with the game, it has potential. But this approach did not work for me.
Changing a character into a "blank" name also has consequences.
I would have to turn the MC into a voiceless clueless protagonist just like all JP VN devs did 10 years ago to their games so that every player could *insert* themselves into every game. But this way a character loses identity and personality contrary to what I try to achieve.
The Rance game wouldn't be a Rance game without his iconic main character and what's the point of deleting his name when a character still acts on his own according to his personality? While I lack the skill to rival great writers of such series, I do try harder now to shape Yachi into an actual character which makes for a better story in my opinion.
It's my approach to the development of games and I have no intention of changing that. Games have many techniques to be written and this is what I chose according to my own preferences for other games or mediums.
If I were to change every game aspects to everyone's little nitpickings (do that or this) there'll be no end to it. Thank you for your praise and I hope you find better games to play where they let you change characters names. :)
You're always welcome to try again if you ever reconsider your stance.

Or you can just change actor 1 name to whatever you want under "WR\data\Actors.json" using any text editor if it is really such a big deal for you.

Last edited:

LazyKeks

Jan 16, 2018
Changing a character into a "blank" name also has consequences.
I would have to turn the MC into a voiceless clueless protagonist just like all JP VN devs did 10 years ago to their games so that every player could *insert* themselves into every game. But this way a character loses identity and personality contrary to what I try to achieve.
The Rance game wouldn't be a Rance game without his iconic main character and what's the point of deleting his name when a character still acts on his own according to his personality? While I lack the skill to rival great writers of such series, I do try harder now to shape Yachi into an actual character which makes for a better story in my opinion.
It's my approach to the development of games and I have no intention of changing that. Games have many techniques to be written and this is what I chose according to my own preferences for other games or mediums.
If I were to change every game aspects to everyone's little nitpickings (do that or this) there'll be no end to it. Thank you for your praise and I hope you find better games to play where they let you change characters names. :)
You're always welcome to try again if you ever reconsider your stance.

Or you can just change actor 1 name to whatever you want under "WR\data\Actors.json" using any text editor if it is really such a big deal for you.
I didn't say that you need to change your approach to game development or anything like that. This is your game and you decide how and what to implement in it. I just said that the possibility of even minuscule customization in the form of a name change provides much more opportunities for immersion in history. And her absence for me changes the whole essence of the game. I begin to perceive it not as a story in which you yourself participate, but as a story that you look at from the outside. This is exclusively my opinion, not a demand, not a decree, not a wish.
As I said earlier, good luck with your development. Maybe in the future I'll come back to your game.

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
I didn't say that you need to change your approach to game development or anything like that. This is your game and you decide how and what to implement in it. I just said that the possibility of even minuscule customization in the form of a name change provides much more opportunities for immersion in history. And her absence for me changes the whole essence of the game. I begin to perceive it not as a story in which you yourself participate, but as a story that you look at from the outside. This is exclusively my opinion, not a demand, not a decree, not a wish.
As I said earlier, good luck with your development. Maybe in the future I'll come back to your game.
I think you need to revisit the definition of immersion then for yourself. Immersion and identification are not the same. Immersion means leaving your current sphere of being and diving into the experience of something else. That can be on different levels depending on the individual being when presented with the same medium. But the common feature in immersion is the passive 'drag' into something that isnt real. This works due to how our brain works - a universe that seems to follow at least a certain degree of logic or that makes sense has the ability to create immersion.

Well made movies and books let you immerse into their universe. The same movies and books also let you identify with one or several of their characters. Both things are not mutually exclusive nor do they need to be inclusive as they are highly individual. Identification with a character has never ever needed a naming - actually its more common to be the exact opposite. Many experience identification by first immersing themselves into the presented universe and then find themselves identifying themselves with one or more characters due to it. But both have one element as the common one - both require a well made story first.

The majority of human beings dont watch a movie or read a book to find someone that is like themselves. That would not be very entertaining as they already live a life like that. But they like to identify themselves with a character in a medium that they can align to - be it because there are similar values they share in real life or the exact opposite and they can live out a phantasy of being something completely different in that person.

Identification is much more an active process as it requires active decision making and weighing morals etc. A name has no value at all in that decision for the majority and is more a gimmick in game design than a requirement.

Last edited:

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
I think you need to revisit the definition of immersion then for yourself. Immersion and identification are not the same. Immersion means leaving your current sphere of being and diving into the experience of something else. That can be on different levels depending on the individual being when presented with the same medium. But the common feature in immersion is the passive 'drag' into something that isnt real. This works due to how our brain works - a univere that seems to follow at least a certain degree of logic or that makes sense has the ability to create immersion.

Well made movies and books let you immerse into their universe. The same movies and books also let you identify with one or several of their characters. Both things are not mutually exclusive nor do they need to be inclusive as they are highly individual. Identification with a character has never ever needed a naming - actually its more common to be the exact opposite. Many experience identification by first immersing themselves into the presented universe and then find themselves identifying themselves with one or more characters due to it. But both have one element as the common one - both require a well made story first.

The majority of human beings dont watch a movie or read a book to find someone that is like themselves. That would not be very entertaining as they already live a life like that. But they like to identify themselves with a character in a medium that they can align to - be it because there are similar values they share in real life or the exact opposite and they can live out a phantasy of being something completely different in that person.

Identification is much more an active process as it requires active decision making and weighing morals etc. A name has no value at all in that decision for the majority and is more a gimmick in game design than a requirement.
I am not sure your points actually apply in the same regard you think they are.
There is a mayor difference between a story based on a 1st person view and a story based on a 3rd person view.
Books and movies normally bring the observer in on an outside basis (3rd person) and throughout the story keep you seated there either by changeing protagonists, view points or Events in far away places... even makeing you see the Protagonist from a distance prevents you to imerge into protagonist as yourself. For such a story your point certainly applies, yet not for a first person based story, where the focus is the growth of the person you follow, makeing that process rather vague or keeping the person in Question out of direct focus (like a direct 1st person view) can help and removeing it's name or replace it with something the observer may choose can greatly increase the joy in those stories.

That said I am not sure which point of view we take with this game. We do change points of view and see events from afar, but the main part of the game we are focused on the MC and his experiences.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I think you need to revisit the definition of immersion then for yourself. Immersion and identification are not the same. Immersion means leaving your current sphere of being and diving into the experience of something else. That can be on different levels depending on the individual being when presented with the same medium. But the common feature in immersion is the passive 'drag' into something that isnt real. This works due to how our brain works - a univere that seems to follow at least a certain degree of logic or that makes sense has the ability to create immersion.

I don't think immersion necessarily works the same for everyone though. I know in my case I just automatically and unconsciously imagine myself as the main character if it's a male. It's not something I do on purpose, it's just automatic. Race, build, personality, or any other trait doesn't matter, only whether the character is male or not. I can imagine myself as a nice guy or an asshole or a black guy or an asian, etc.

I don't do that if the main character is female though. For those stories I experience it more as a spectator or maybe a puppeteer. I can still immerse myself in the story but not in the same way. If the main character is male I'm immersing myself in both the story and in the main character. If the main character is female I'm immersing myself in the story but if I find myself identifying strongly with any of the characters, it's always one of the supporting male characters.

From the comments I've read from other people, some people NEVER imagine themself as the main character. They always experience the story as an outsider looking in. For instance Alias was one of my favorite TV shows for awhile and it has a female protagonist, but I found myself mostly identifying with one of her male costars (Vaughn). So when bad things happened to Sidney (the star) it didn't hit me as much as when bad things happened to Vaughn even though he wasn't the star.

I think the reason that it's so common for some games to let you change characters names and relationships is for the people who do imagine themself as the main character to tweak the names in the story so it doesn't constantly contradict the idea that the main character is THEM, not whatever name you gave the character as a dev. Personally, I don't find the name to be important even if I do imagine myself as the character but I could see how some people might.

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
I am not sure your points actually apply in the same regard you think they are.
There is a mayor difference between a story based on a 1st person view and a story based on a 3rd person view.
Books and movies normally bring the observer in on an outside basis (3rd person) and throughout the story keep you seated there either by changeing protagonists, view points or Events in far away places... even makeing you see the Protagonist from a distance prevents you to imerge into protagonist as yourself. For such a story your point certainly applies, yet not for a first person based story, where the focus is the growth of the person you follow, makeing that process rather vague or keeping the person in Question out of direct focus (like a direct 1st person view) can help and removeing it's name or replace it with something the observer may choose can greatly increase the joy in those stories.

That said I am not sure which point of view we take with this game. We do change points of view and see events from afar, but the main part of the game we are focused on the MC and his experiences.
Without following your change of context i repeat the claim my reply was based on:

quote astralbait ' I just said that the possibility of even minuscule customization in the form of a name change provides much more opportunities for immersion in history. And her absence for me changes the whole essence of the game. I begin to perceive it not as a story in which you yourself participate, but as a story that you look at from the outside. ' endquote

He claims a lack of immersion is what prevents him from being part of the story. That part is totally independent from 1st or 3rd person view. Immersion is based solely on 2 things: the willingness and ability to get dragged into a different universe and the universe's 'believability'. The first part is very much up to the user. If i dont want to let go of my current world my ability to immerse in any story goes against zero.

The second part is up to the story itself. If things are broken in terms of visuals or logic then immersion is hard to achieve due to ones brain. One of the biggest immersion breakers is usually a break in consistency - the same mob i just killed with 2 strikes of my sword all the sudden is the enemy in the next boss encounter and almost impossible to kill - that breaks immersion for almost everybody. Western pop-music as background music in Wicked Rouge - that would break immersion. Pulling out a laser gun or European Two-hand sword would break immersion since everyone fights with Eastern/Asian weapons.

That's why i pointed out that he deals with 2 problems. Wicked doesnt lack any consistency and all elements are actually nicely tuned to each other - so if there is a lack of immersion its the user either not willing or able to immerse. Naming a character is the least functionality for immersion. It might help for identifying with a character but will never be strong enough if choices and abilities are opposite of ones moral believes or expectancies.

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
That's why i pointed out that he deals with 2 problems. Wicked doesnt lack any consistency and all elements are actually nicely tuned to each other - so if there is a lack of immersion its the user either not willing or able to immerse. Naming a character is the least functionality for immersion. It might help for identifying with a character but will never be strong enough if choices and abilities are opposite of ones moral believes or expectancies.
This is a rather personal point of view of your own again... I'd even call it an opinion.
People perserve a story differently and may gain different degrees of immersion out of it.
Have a story told with a 3rd person view can already prevent people to identify themselfes with that character, same goes for the name.
I am not saying you are wrong, just that you project your own point of view on others.
offering different options to increase a potential immersion is also an art in gameplay... movies normally don't concern themselfes with that as they tell the story of a certain Person for entertainment, they don't aim for the observer to immerse him/herself with the protagonist.

Also just to make sure... I am not intending to say Wicked Rogue requires such changes.
To me this is like an interactive Movie... it's the story about Yaiichi whoms action can get influenced by my subtle input to a degree... I can't stop the girls from prostituting themselfes for his gain in order to become his personal Harem, but I can influence how he spends his money and grows in regards to his combat skill and business. (to exxagerate a bit)...
I see myself as his imaginated retrainer at best, but not as Yaiichi

Last edited:

LazyKeks

Jan 16, 2018
I do not know why someone was so offended by my understanding and attitude to immersiveness. Well, the bottom line is that it will hardly change, no matter what someone gives me their opinion on this. I will not debate on this topic, it is pointless in general. (And knowledge of the language will hardly allow)

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
This is a rather personal point of view of your own again... I'd even call it an opinion.
People perserve a story differently and may gain different degrees of immersion out of it.
Have a story told with a 3rd person view can already prevent people to identify themselfes with that character, same goes for the name.
I am not saying you are wrong, just that you project your own point of view on others.
offering different options to increase a potential immersion is also an art in gameplay... movies normally don't concern themselfes with that as they tell the story of a certain Person for entertainment, they don't aim for the observer to immerse him/herself with the protagonist.

Also just to make sure... I am not intending to say Wicked Rogue requires such changes.
To me this is like an interactive Movie... it's the story about Yaiichi whoms action can get influenced by my subtle input to a degree... I can't stop the girls from prostituting themselfes for his gain in order to become his personal Harem, but I can influence how he spends his money and grows in regards to his combat skill and business. (to exxagerate a bit)...
I see myself as his imaginated retrainer at best, but not as Yaiichi
The short answer is: its not an opinion but lessons in game design who in turn apply lessons and knowledge from psychology (also called suspension of disbelief)

4.40 star(s) 56 Votes