HeavenlySword

Jan 30, 2018
Actually it’s an issue with VR and UE 5~5.4. In this case, WildLife does not have specific development for VR, but is allowed via UE’s engine.
With a little optimization, we would have proper texture streaming, as well as, a functional UI in VR.
But, as a workaround, and per users VRAM / setup, reducing pixel density allows for them to be loaded in or ‘streamed’ without bottlenecking
Your statement about Pixel Density is nonsense. It determines render resolution based on pixel density on a scale, where a value of 1 equals 100%. That said, it is useful to change that value for performance reasons as it can have a large impact on it. It does, however, in no way affect texture resolution, LOD or image sharpness. If you want texture streaming to stay at an unimpeded constant, under circumstances where it is being impeded by fallback measures from UE 5 itself, the startup parameter -notexturestreaming or a GPU replacement with one that has more VRAM are the only 2 working solutions for any such cases atm.
The example you give above is simply a potential result that might occur, where lowering density would free enough VRAM to fall below the treshold again - in which case textures immediately start streaming in again.

As for bottlenecking; that is by design, Wild Life not being optimized for now and the foreseeable future. So if you don't have an extremely odd hardware setup, your CPU is always going to be the bottleneck.

SerpentWave

Aug 1, 2017
Your statement about Pixel Density is nonsense. It determines render resolution based on pixel density on a scale, where a value of 1 equals 100%. That said, it is useful to change that value for performance reasons as it can have a large impact on it. It does, however, in no way affect texture resolution, LOD or image sharpness. If you want texture streaming to stay at an unimpeded constant, under circumstances where it is being impeded by fallback measures from UE 5 itself, the startup parameter -notexturestreaming or a GPU replacement with one that has more VRAM are the only 2 working solutions for any such cases atm.
The example you give above is simply a potential result that might occur, where lowering density would free enough VRAM to fall below the treshold again - in which case textures immediately start streaming in again.

As for bottlenecking; that is by design, Wild Life not being optimized for now and the foreseeable future. So if you don't have an extremely odd hardware setup, your CPU is always going to be the bottleneck.
I understand the implementation of:

However, and as you have said, the optimization for WildLife (and other games) in Virtual Reality for UE 5.xx, is actually slightly different an issue than one based off of a GPU/RAM issue; it is an engine issue itself from my experience. LOD does play a role, and that is per user setup, it’s why density level in VR can reduce strain on the bandwidth between the VR/HMD set and the PC.
To call my solution Nonsense is to say you have my same setup.

HeavenlySword

Jan 30, 2018
I understand the implementation of:

However, and as you have said, the optimization for WildLife (and other games) in Virtual Reality for UE 5.xx, is actually slightly different an issue than one based off of a GPU/RAM issue; it is an engine issue itself from my experience. LOD does play a role, and that is per user setup, it’s why density level in VR can reduce strain on the bandwidth between the VR/HMD set and the PC.
To call my solution Nonsense is to say you have my same setup.
UEVR is no doubt not up to date in version 5.3+ and neither is the WL plugin but that's deviating from the issue OP was experiencing, so i don't understand why you brought that up in the first place.
LOD is controlled by other cvars and afaik there is no fallback that infers VR pixel density. There's nothing on record for that anywhere and i've not experienced that in any game while using a VIVE or Rift at any time.
If you are having issues with distance scaling, appending this in engine.ini r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale= (Values between 0.1 and 1) where 0.1 draws at the farthest distance, might help.
For bandwidth issues, the launch parameter -nohmd might help.
Other than that there isn't much you can do. It's debatable whether it's an engine issue itself or a WL game issue. You may ask the devs. if they're willing to disclose some information regarding that. After all it also depends on whether they used the correct cvars for their project.

Reactions: SerpentWave

SerpentWave

Aug 1, 2017
UEVR is no doubt not up to date in version 5.3+ and neither is the WL plugin but that's deviating from the issue OP was experiencing, so i don't understand why you brought that up in the first place.
LOD is controlled by other cvars and afaik there is no fallback that infers VR pixel density. There's nothing on record for that anywhere and i've not experienced that in any game while using a VIVE or Rift at any time.
If you are having issues with distance scaling, appending this in engine.ini r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale= (Values between 0.1 and 1) where 0.1 draws at the farthest distance, might help.
For bandwidth issues, the launch parameter -nohmd might help.
Other than that there isn't much you can do. It's debatable whether it's an engine issue itself or a WL game issue. You may ask the devs. if they're willing to disclose some information regarding that. After all it also depends on whether they used the correct cvars for their project.
Fair enough

fuji.seiko

Apr 30, 2022
Any similar games to this and Wicked Island? Something that possibly is complete or near completion? I played a bit of this, the game is still in progress but it could be promising just like WIcked Island

mrbui

Jun 10, 2021
In Honey Select, there is an option when having sex that allows you to customize the female character's perspective into the camera WHILE SEX IS HAVING SEX, but in Wild Life there is no such feature. In fact, this feature makes me very excited, I hope it will soon be developed on this game, I also like this game. :cool:

voidsocks

Aug 29, 2019
looking for a fix... 4070 ti super and only got 20 fps even on low. Tried the fps fix on the main page, and made sure it's using my dedicated gpu. installed on ssd

AdeptusSteve

Game Developer
Jun 9, 2017
looking for a fix... 4070 ti super and only got 20 fps even on low. Tried the fps fix on the main page, and made sure it's using my dedicated gpu. installed on ssd
Hey, 20fps sounds suspiciously like the issue we have that the fps setting in video settings sometimes gets defaulted to 20. You can just go to settings -> video -> fps and increase it from there.

voidsocks

Aug 29, 2019
Hey, 20fps sounds suspiciously like the issue we have that the fps setting in video settings sometimes gets defaulted to 20. You can just go to settings -> video -> fps and increase it from there.
unfortunately that was the first thing I tried when I opened up the video settings

JetZ

Jan 16, 2017
question: what's the difference between this month public build and the latest patreon build?

JetZ

Jan 16, 2017
Public builds will be censored
wait which part that's censored tho if i may ask? i didn't see any censored part on the public build
i was curious since i'm not a patron and i saw the patreon build has its own changelog that's why i'm curious what's the difference between them

3.80 star(s) 182 Votes