JhonLui

Jan 13, 2020
My attempt to do something: Here's a sauna...?

I was initially going to make a big place (usually I like to make small detailed places) and then this "sauna" was one of those attempts but I just got tired halfway, making a bigger place sometimes is tiresome and also because the game is not well optimized for sandbox (this place was not initially going to be a sauna but I had no idea what to call it)

Features: IDK take pictures or make videos I guess? :KEK:
Obs: Done it in 2-3 days probably (redoing a lot of things), it's a small room (For Now?™), I had done something like a reception next to the "sauna" but I lost the whole thing (I deleted the wrong save and I lost an entire afternoon of work...:FacePalm:)
EDIT: I thought about the lighting with the volumetric option enabled, it seems the game ignores this option after reopening it, try unchecking and cheking the volumetric option and applying it just to be sure, otherwise the room will probably be a little more darker.

And blah blah blah you know the drill, just throw it in AppData\Local\WildLifeC\Saved\SandboxSaveGames\MySaves\Showroom and have fun with whatever you want to do with it (y)

View attachment 1823339 View attachment 1823778 View attachment 1823783 View attachment 1823784
Brilliant, just a door and stairs and it's perfect

Reactions: Smopy

Smopy

Dec 22, 2017
Brilliant, just a door and stairs and it's perfect
I even thought about making a stairs or something like that, but my last attempts to create stairs weren't the best, things didn't align properly or were completely crooked, like a spiral staircase, in the end it's a pain in the ass to make a "perfect" ladder in the sandbox, but I don't know exactly what else I can add to this map for now.

Reactions: JhonLui

leproso0413

May 26, 2017
Where can I find a minotaur? I don't have the option to summon it and many others are not there either.

hakarlman

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2017
Image URL is not a good idea for long term. URL's often break and 404, so in the future, you'll end up loading a Sandbox with broken images links.

A proper texture import system would be better, with dynamic material creation. Then everyone shares Mat/Texture packs. That way you get a normal map too; or hell, even the greyscale bump map, and other maps if desired.

Last edited:

SortaLewd

Feb 26, 2019
Image URL is not a good idea for long term. URL's often break and 404, so in the future, you'll end up loading a Sandbox with broken images links.

A proper texture import system would be better, with dynamic material creation. Then everyone shares Mat/Texture packs. That way you get a normal map too; or hell, even the greyscale bump map, and other maps if desired.
You can download the picture and use it locally. Both local images and URL links work for the image prop.

Reactions: [User Deleted]

hakarlman

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2017
You can download the picture and use it locally. Both local images and URL links work for the image prop.
First Issue: That's assuming everyone uses file path, but using file path is potentially problematic(/[username]/appdata/), unless they use a simple file path. And everyone is gonna use a different file path too, you might have to put files ALL over the place, it's gonna be a nightmare. (This is in regards to Sandbox scene sharing).

Second Issue: Architectural textures in the Image URL look bad without normal map and proper material setup. You can get away with it if it's just a poster or logo, but still, it looks low quality compared to everything else:

Wild Life Animations: AAA
Wild Life 3D Models: AAA
Wild Life In-Game Textures/Materials: AAA (For example the first 26 materials on a primitive look great)
Wild Life Image URL: B-Movie/Cheesy/Poor Quality in most cases.

No offense to anyone who reads this, but we're entering an ERA of Unreal Engine 5, and we're loading color map textures from a URL without normal map? Hmmm, doesn't seem right.

All textures should go into a contained folder, something like:
Code:
WildLifeC\Content\Custom\Textures\Primitives\UniquePackName_UniqueDescription\tex_map_color_uniqueName.png
WildLifeC\Content\Custom\Textures\Primitives\UniquePackName_UniqueDescription\tex_map_normal_uniqueName.png

WildLifeC\Content\Custom\Textures\Characters\Maya\Skin\UniquePackName_UniqueDescription\tex_map_color_uniqueName.png
WildLifeC\Content\Custom\Textures\Characters\Maya\Skin\UniquePackName_UniqueDescription\tex_map_normal_uniqueName.png

WildLifeC\Content\Custom\Textures\Characters\Maya\Eyes\UniquePackName_UniqueDescription\tex_map_color_uniqueName.png
WildLifeC\Content\Custom\Textures\Characters\Maya\Eyes\UniquePackName_UniqueDescription\tex_map_normal_uniqueName.png

WildLifeC\Content\Custom\Textures\Characters\Maya\BodyOverlays\UniquePackName_UniqueDescription\tex_map_color_uniqueName.png
WildLifeC\Content\Custom\Textures\Characters\Maya\BodyOverlays\UniquePackName_UniqueDescription\tex_map_normal_uniqueName.png
WildLifeC\Content\Custom\Textures\Characters\Maya\BodyOverlays\UniquePackName_UniqueDescription\tex_map_opacity_uniqueName.png
Then you have code that loads them all into a custom texture/material library that can be easily accessed from the Sandbox Edit Mode UI, via dropdown, for primitives or for characters; skin, eyes, nails, overlays, similar, etc

It paves the way for custom skin textures, overlays, tattoos, dirt overlay, makeup, anything related to a material.

Then we can use professional textures like this:
g4g4.jpg

3553535.jpg

PBR UE textures from Epic store: (We load these ourselves into customs folder, the ones with color map and normal map for example)

:coffee: Anyways, just some friendly feedback! :)

Last edited:

XyrexDread

Apr 10, 2022
the sad critique i have to agree to is that one big selling point is the scenes/poses related content. personally i see most long term motivation for ppl to play this in the sandbox mode, even if many people want a campaign.
open world games just offer more long term playability that campaigns on rails, unless they have pvp like the CoD series. noone
buys that for the campaign.

what would one get out of a campaign ? im not expecting too much so lets say 25 hours ? is that too low ? too much ?
what would a really really really good sandbox offer ? ive dumped over 200 hours into my current ~7000 objects building/map.

i dont want to say fck campaign or anything, if someone looks forward to it im happy for these people, but even if the game is done in a couple years, unless the dev wants to build something new from scratch or bring paid updates, some pseudo live service is much better for longevity.

the point i wanna make and get to is that if they make scenes/poses and the interactions between them more flexible and give the players/users more freedom besides selecting the order of fixed animations, then there are way more possibilities to do things, share them and maybe do some user created "maps" for others to explore. especially if u can see new "scenes" because someone took the time to do something new properly.
for that we just need more options.

i understand these high quality animations and managing the skeletons is no easy task, but maybe its possible to select basic actions, states for different bodyparts and a general body pose.

same for scriptable objects/groups. just something basic, but doors to interact with, pillories and other things we could build, script and then weave into a map/scene.
it wouldnt even take away from the campaign and the devs possibilities, it would just give us the option to really build interactive presentations via sandbox and share them.

also, i agree...it does need mod support at some point. most games with the highest longevity achieved that due to mods.
just remember the mess skyrim was without any mods.

sorry for the wall of text.

Reactions: ipoop245

ipoop245

Feb 17, 2019
the point i wanna make and get to is that if they make scenes/poses and the interactions between them more flexible and give the players/users more freedom besides selecting the order of fixed animations, then there are way more possibilities to do things, share them and maybe do some user created "maps" for others to explore. especially if u can see new "scenes" because someone took the time to do something new properly.

Shame creating new animation using in-game engine is a pain in the butt since you're essentially using janky workarounds trying to be a 3D animation tool

Puma1978

Feb 25, 2022
the sad critique i have to agree to is that one big selling point is the scenes/poses related content. personally i see most long term motivation for ppl to play this in the sandbox mode, even if many people want a campaign.
open world games just offer more long term playability that campaigns on rails, unless they have pvp like the CoD series. noone
buys that for the campaign.

what would one get out of a campaign ? im not expecting too much so lets say 25 hours ? is that too low ? too much ?
what would a really really really good sandbox offer ? ive dumped over 200 hours into my current ~7000 objects building/map.

i dont want to say fck campaign or anything, if someone looks forward to it im happy for these people, but even if the game is done in a couple years, unless the dev wants to build something new from scratch or bring paid updates, some pseudo live service is much better for longevity.

i understand these high quality animations and managing the skeletons is no easy task, but maybe its possible to select basic actions, states for different bodyparts and a general body pose.

same for scriptable objects/groups. just something basic, but doors to interact with, pillories and other things we could build, script and then weave into a map/scene.
it wouldnt even take away from the campaign and the devs possibilities, it would just give us the option to really build interactive presentations via sandbox and share them.

also, i agree...it does need mod support at some point. most games with the highest longevity achieved that due to mods.
just remember the mess skyrim was without any mods.

A campaign in an open world can be very good if the devs have talent in writing interesting stories and let player experience exciting and unusual situations. You must trigger all sorts of emotions (laughter, sadness, pity, envy, jalousy, amazed, shocking...) of the player with the story campaign otherwise it makes no sense. You are right currently all developers seem to create a great open world but mostly their stories are poor and i always pity the open world designers twho invested so many hours in details and physics etc...when the world is at the end just a dump backdrop without any interactions.
But i would agree to the sandbox idea when it could happen that gamers get the tool to write their own stories and missions just by building the world they want and write/programm some dialogs/actions between NPC's ...i think this would be a good approach because i can also play textbased games without sound.

XyrexDread

Apr 10, 2022
Shame creating new animation using in-game engine is a pain in the butt since you're essentially using janky workarounds trying to be a 3D animation tool
i am not asking for a animation tool.
as i described, but maybe it was unclear/too short cut, my idea would be a kinda modular version of what we have right now.

what we currently have is basically pick which and what order. im not trying to trashtalk the quality, i really like how well the animations are done, aside of some transitions...which just dont want to work.

but imagine this:
we keep choosing the pairs. we choose a general body position and then have a certain degree to change it within a range so that it wont become wonky.
then we can choose an animation type for both actors which fits the general body position, for example rough, soft, normal...whatever. something that defines the motion and flair of the scene. next we can change the exact position of limbs, withing a certain range. we can change the state of body parts, lets say mouth is open for whoever wants it to be ahegao like. just an example. or a hand is a fist. an ass is gaping...whatever. same applies to the poses ofc.

then we need some more objects to make part of scenes, maybe that could work with clothes though.
the mouths dont sync with voices already but it would also be good to be able to choose what sounds the characters make during a scene.

the other thing i already mentioned would be fusing scenes/poses, if we ever get the ability to script things to a certain decree.
like choosing a time when a nearby scene/pose is "pulled over" into another one and it combines into lets say a threesome.

basically making what we currently have kind of modular, for us to piece together scenes from premade "parts" with some freedom within the pieces range and to also script some things to a certain degree for a natural progression so to say. like having a 3rd person watch until he/she joins...stuff like that.

not sure if this would help the devs themselve for creating new things, also i cant talk about technical stuff so maybe this is too much dreaming but i'd still like to throw it here.

hope dies last, no ?

BeholdTheWizzard

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter if I'm actually the majority or not, like I said, may the majority win, whoever it is. If more people want gameplay aspects, then they should tell it to the devs. Meanwhile, I see plenty of people like me in this thread asking for more sandbox content. His argument is that we should stop asking for more characters, but I won't stop asking for what I want. If the devs are going to listen to me, or to you, it's up to them ;)

Plus, I support the game on patreon, do you?

PERCIEVED minority/majority does not matter.
Game Development is not a democracy and it shouldn't be. Try making a game yourself (I have) and you will see just how much
time n resources it takes. Efficient use of time/resources is most cruical.
And for something that is a GAME it NEEDS good gameplay by definition.

Reactions: SirenBrink

BeholdTheWizzard

Oct 25, 2017
A campaign in an open world can be very good if the devs have talent in writing interesting stories and let player experience exciting and unusual situations. You must trigger all sorts of emotions (laughter, sadness, pity, envy, jalousy, amazed, shocking...) of the player with the story campaign otherwise it makes no sense. You are right currently all developers seem to create a great open world but mostly their stories are poor and i always pity the open world designers twho invested so many hours in details and physics etc...when the world is at the end just a dump backdrop without any interactions.
But i would agree to the sandbox idea when it could happen that gamers get the tool to write their own stories and missions just by building the world they want and write/programm some dialogs/actions between NPC's ...i think this would be a good approach because i can also play textbased games without sound.

You don't need a great writer and fantastic stories. Just have things to do and options.

Example:
Start game by chooing a survivor. You have to explore the planet and survive as them. hink demo, but the entire game is basically exploring areas and avoiding/fighing, looking for other survivors and deciding what to do. Whom to ally with, whom to kill, whom to capture/enslave?
You can have randomy generated (or pre-writen) quests. Basically setting up a camp and brinigng people there would be the core gameplay.
The wild kerpali might rape you instead of kill you, etc..
Plenty of ideas.

Reactions: junior20000
3.80 star(s) 172 Votes