Viixby

Dec 19, 2019
For anyone struggling with UE5, but not UE4.
(Disable Lumen in graphics settings if suffering with performance, this is a UE5 feature).
(Is your game not launching at all or stuck in infinite loading? It's more than likely that your PC doesn't support UE5 itself. Try updating your graphics drivers and check if your GPU supports DirectX10, DirectX11, or Vulken).
UE5 also requires Windows 10 or Windows 11 (NOT Windows 7 or Windows 8).

For most UE5 games, minimum requirements are usually a GTX 1080 (or AMD equivalent).
Though recommended GPUs are usually something like a 20 series, 30 series+

To the people using an old PC:
It sucks I know; old GPUs are starting to get choked off and forced to upgrade, it happens. Better to realize sooner than later.
My advice for those struggling financially. First is to accept that and start saving up, aim for something like a 20 or 30 series, which ever you can find at a lower price. sells prebuilts for reasonable prices, just run the PC through a bottleneck test online.
Newegg WILL fully accept a return if something on the PC isn't working. This is even stated for used PCs as well as new.
If you're tech savvy, build your own PC, you can probably set yourself up a better PC for a bit less money (though currently that doesn't save you as much money as it used to). Prebuilts really are not a bad option like they used to be, anyone who says differently, hasn't kept up to date with the PC market at all or lives under a rock.

Looking to learn some PC techy stuff??
Check out LinusTechTips on YouTube. He is one of the least bias Tech YouTubers out there. BY THAT I MEAN: if something comes out from a company he doesn't like, he will test it and if it's better he admits it. (That's hard to find in tech people these days).

So what are some GPU names I should be looking for when getting my next PC on a budget?
2060, 2070, 3050, 3060, 3060-ti (These are the lower end of the newest 20 series and 30 series). Still not cheap I know.

Looking for performance?
AVOID laptops! At all costs, if possible.
Laptop GPUs are notorious for underperforming, especially when you look at what you're paying for.
For example, a 3060-Ti or a 3070 (lower GPUs) from a desktop, will outperform a 3080 from a laptop.
Sometimes you don't have a choice, it's unfortunate but get a laptop, don't let that fact stop you from gaming.

HOPEFULLY, this was useful to the MANY people I've seen in this forum talking about PCs and UE5 performance. Due to this being I believe the only game on this site using the new UE5!

HardcoreCuddler

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
Looking for performance?
AVOID laptops! At all costs, if possible.
Laptop GPUs are notorious for underperforming, especially when you look at what you're paying for.
For example, a 3060-Ti or a 3070 (lower GPUs) from a desktop, will outperform a 3080 from a laptop.
Sometimes you don't have a choice, it's unfortunate but get a laptop, don't let that fact stop you from gaming.

HOPEFULLY, this was useful to the MANY people I've seen in this forum talking about PCs and UE5 performance. Due to this being I believe the only game on this site using the new UE5!
I don't really know for sure so please bare with me.
Are laptop GPU's ACTUALLY weaker than desktop variants as long as they are NOT listed as being the "mobile" variant in the spec sheet? I have a laptop with a GTX 1650 and it performs as expected as far as I can tell

Aremisio

Dec 19, 2020
Are laptop GPU's ACTUALLY weaker than desktop variants as long as they are NOT listed as being the "mobile" variant in the spec sheet?
Some are, some are not. It depends on the generation of GPU. Currently, all of the announced 40 series laptop GPUs are actually equivalent to one tier lower desktop GPUs, so that a laptop 4090 is actually a desktop 4080 chip and so on. On top of that, the laptop GPU has a power limit which much lower than the desktop one.
It used to be that laptop models would be called MaxQ or simply XXXXm to reflect that, now not anymore.
The gap gets bigger the higer end the GPU is: a 150W desktop GPU and its 90W laptop version are not going to be as far apart as a 450W desktop GPU and its 175W laptop one.
Then, even when you have a high end GPU in a laptop, it could still be a low power version of it. You really have to read the laptop's specs sheet carefully. A good hint is the power brick, if it's a <150W power brick, it's most likely not a full power mobile GPU. A laptop 4080 at 150W is not the same as one at 90W, thickness also changes a lot, although the manufacturer will happily charge the same.
As for the 1650 though, it's one of those GPUs that had almost parity between desktop and mobile. Laptop and desktop GTX 10/16 series were much less apart than RTX GPUs are.

HardcoreCuddler

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
Some are, some are not. It depends on the generation of GPU. Currently, all of the announced 40 series laptop GPUs are actually equivalent to one tier lower desktop GPUs, so that a laptop 4090 is actually a desktop 4080 chip and so on. On top of that, the laptop GPU has a power limit which much lower than the desktop one.
It used to be that laptop models would be called MaxQ or simply XXXXm to reflect that, now not anymore.
The gap gets bigger the higer end the GPU is: a 150W desktop GPU and its 90W laptop version are not going to be as far apart as a 450W desktop GPU and its 175W laptop one.
Then, even when you have a high end GPU in a laptop, it could still be a low power version of it. You really have to read the laptop's specs sheet carefully. A good hint is the power brick, if it's a <150W power brick, it's most likely not a full power mobile GPU. A laptop 4080 at 150W is not the same as one at 90W, thickness also changes a lot, although the manufacturer will happily charge the same.
As for the 1650 though, it's one of those GPUs that had almost parity between desktop and mobile. Laptop and desktop GTX 10/16 series were much less apart than RTX GPUs are.
oh damn gotcha. It made sense in my head that there was no fucking way those absolute heating units in the 30 and 40 series could ever be put in a laptop without melting it so that makes sense.

And yea, I also thought they were labeled MaxQ or Mobile or whatever. I didn't know they just made that go away...that's fucking scummy if you ask me, because the usual buyer will have no idea of the differences...though I think that's the point...

thanks

destroyerofassholes

Oct 23, 2019
I don't really know for sure so please bare with me.
Are laptop GPU's ACTUALLY weaker than desktop variants as long as they are NOT listed as being the "mobile" variant in the spec sheet? I have a laptop with a GTX 1650 and it performs as expected as far as I can tell
They're power limited, and have to share power with the CPU because the laptop has a limited power budget at any given time. They overheat and limit themselves in power like crazy, and not to mention, they're cut down. At times they're straight up different chips than the desktop version, other times they're cut down, worse versions.

Reactions: HardcoreCuddler

Romusfps

Dec 22, 2020
Good graphic and OF COURSE... ANIMATION AWESOME !

But yeah everyone already know Wild life, it's big boss over here.

If I want to be tiring, i would say customisation of character need to be improve. Let damn choice to give any clothes available to any character.

And also the fact main quest doesnt move ....

Reactions: Kbtr95 and zartan0

ihatefleas

Dec 18, 2018
Is there any more information on the custom poser feature that's coming soon-ish? I'd like to know if you can make animated poses with it as well or if it's limited to static poses. It's unironically one of the things I'm most excited about, hopefully it comes with the next update.

Fuchsschweif

Sep 24, 2019
Is there any more information on the custom poser feature that's coming soon-ish? I'd like to know if you can make animated poses with it as well or if it's limited to static poses. It's unironically one of the things I'm most excited about, hopefully it comes with the next update.
Pretty sure it will be static, a tool that lets you make animations is a level of professional software that requires very experienced developers.

ihatefleas

Dec 18, 2018
Pretty sure it will be static, a tool that lets you make animations is a level of professional software that requires very experienced developers.
Poses are already animations though. An in-game editor won't allow the complexity and depth that's necessary to develop animations that rival those that are in the game, but there's already animated poses in the game that you can blend together.

Fuchsschweif

Sep 24, 2019
Poses are already animations though. An in-game editor won't allow the complexity and depth that's necessary to develop animations that rival those that are in the game, but there's already animated poses in the game that you can blend together.
There's a difference between moving 6 bone-parts to create some static poses and doing animations with the correct whole behaviour of that bodyparts, believe me, that requires a LOT more work from the devs in order to look authentic.

3.80 star(s) 176 Votes