Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
What murder ?
No one died during that fight. Kidnapping and Assault sure. Let's also not forget that he's being blackmailed to high heaven and is doing everything he can for his mom's medical treatment.

Also, it's like you all are missing the part where he told you to get out of dodge. He wasn't working against you, never raised an arm against you. It's well within reason that he's able to be redeemed.
Called morals. So his mum needs stuff he can't afford. Well that sucks and it's life. Doing the shit he did...doesn't excuse the why in any way. Would you start selling drugs to kids (for a silly example) just because you so desperately needed cash? Somewhere, despite your own personal situation, there is a line you have to draw. He went over it....

Reactions: Naxos

Raptus Puellae

Mar 23, 2020
I agree this was his best update yet. It was a giant emotional rollercoaster of a ride. I can't wait to see how some of this progresses in the future. I think Skye put it best teammate play together, fight together and go to jail together. Don't forget we have the other guy that Ryker's group knocked out first the one Damien was carrying away as another witness. They attacked him first, so the MC was also coming to that person's defense as well as protecting everyone inside. While it would be hard to just accept the testmonial from the MC and the other 5 idiots. You have the guy that was knocked out, Wendy as she was watching from a distance, Belle and Harper for when they did show up, you will also have a tox screening from the hospital. All of which should add up to the MC out of jail hopefully very quickly. While I agree with everyone posting he should not be in jail (for medical or any other reason), I felt it added to the drama and I liked it.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
There was a lot of references in this update similar to that. I felt it was a nod to everyone who told BD to take it easy and the Ryker thing was a nod to all those that gave him a hard time about the delays, and finally the prision cell representing how he has felt these past few months (someone who was trying to do the right thing and then multiple things got in his way preventing it, and now he is reflecting those things locked in his own mind). Just my thoughts but hey what do I know.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Trikus

May 31, 2020
Okay...here goes:

I went back and forth about whether I wanted to write this or not. Braindrop has been through a lot, so a large part of me wanted to be silent. However, my “day job” is writing professionally. As such, I realize how important constructive feedback is. So, here’s mine....

(scroll right by this if you don’t want to read criticisms of the story — you won’t like what you’re about to read)

This was, by a fair margin, my least favorite update. To be blunt, it’s changed my feelings about the story quite a bit — and not in a good way. To be fair, the e-game genre isn’t known for its realistic plot lines. This is mostly because you’re dealing with “wish fulfillment” scenarios better suited for Penthouse Letters than actual literature. In this, WVM is no exception. Still, BD has made the story enjoyable because (in my opinion) the characters in the game are incredibly charming, distinctive, and memorable.

In this release, however, I felt like a lot of the characters were presented as caricatures of themselves. The scene at the house, to begin the chapter, is a good example of this. The interminable hugging was, frankly, too much. The scene went from sweet to saccharine to awkward very quickly. Likewise, Willow’s character was originally very interesting. Now, she’s a two-dimensional prop whose main function it is to provide framework for nicknames (that have been belabored already).

This isn’t even the worst part of the update. That distinction goes to the storytelling, I’m afraid, which was formerly one of BD’s strong suits. To begin with, the Tali flashback was...stretching credulity. But the way that the fight scene unfolded was absolutely ridiculous. I could go into the way that MC acted during the fight, what was and was not occurring around him with respect to his teammates and other individuals at the bowling alley, and his mother’s sudden, ham-fisted appearance...but this is already getting way harsher in tone than I wanted it to be. Suffice it to say that not only did I dislike this update...it’s made me question the game in its entirety.

There were bright points! Zoe was (as usual) excellent. Stacy was excellent (and a nice job of the subtle storytelling that I appreciate, too) in her brief appearance. I liked getting to find out that Eden has more of a role to play in the story than I expected, too. But for every bit like that, there were two or three bits that were cringe-worthy (and this isn’t even getting into the distracting stuff like the name tagging problems).

I know this chapter was difficult for BD to write. I give him major credit for pushing through what sounds like a horrific time in his life. Still, he has always seemed to value our honest, unfiltered opinions on his game. That means celebrating him when he’s excellent (as he usually is), but being critical when he’s not.

So, though it pains me to say: In my opinion, this last release was his poorest work.

JD
For Willow, a lot of her early interactions were a front for who she really is. In this update we finally got to "peak behind the curtain" on her character to see who she tries so hard to hide. Given her backstory it is not surprising she made up a strong front for other people.

As for the fight, the MC can't be perfect at everything. I wouldn't be surprised if that was his first real fight. He has spent most of his life as the star athlete. Why would anyone fight him. He bit off more than he could chew and got his ass handed to him for a while.

We also knew that Wendy knew exactly where MC was from early updates. Her being there does make sense.

Reactions: Raptus Puellae

Cigar-Ferras

Jan 22, 2019
Called morals. So his mum needs stuff he can't afford. Well that sucks and it's life. Doing the shit he did...doesn't excuse the why in any way. Would you start selling drugs to kids (for a silly example) just because you so desperately needed cash? Somewhere, despite your own personal situation, there is a line you have to draw. He went over it....
Agreed. I do hope he gets a redemption arc though. A choice for sure if people want it but I am a sucker for a redemption story. :)

Reactions: Silver-Argus

ZTex

Engaged Member
Apr 3, 2019
I'm well aware of this. But people really are taking this whole thing a bit too far.
Your analogy for example is pretty off in terms of things. A much more simple statement that actually works is "What wouldn't you do for family ?"

Now you could say Damien should have dropped out of school got 6 jobs and been a respectable person. But that is boring when it comes to story telling. Instead we have a guy whose literally in his darkest hour making a set of regretable life choices. That doesn't make him a bad person, it makes him a bad decision maker. You can tell based on all of the interactions with him that he regrets what he's being forced to do, but is doing it because he's being short sighted and desperate.

Further Edit here: What did he do to the MC that literally the entire world isn't already doing ? Filming him. That's literally the only thing Damien has done to the MC and people want to castrate him over that...Like okay then. The man hasn't physically harmed you or anyone you care about once.

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Agreed. I do hope he gets a redemption arc though. A choice for sure if people want it but I am a sucker for a redemption story. :)
Yeah would be nice....so we can bone Jasmine in front of him...a 'reminder not to fuck with me' moment ;)

I'm well aware of this. But people really are taking this whole thing a bit too far.
Your analogy for example is pretty off in terms of things. A much more simple statement that actually works is "What wouldn't you do for family ?"

Now you could say Damien should have dropped out of school got 6 jobs and been a respectable person. But that is boring when it comes to story telling. Instead we have a guy whose literally in his darkest hour making a set of regretable life choices. That doesn't make him a bad person, it makes him a bad decision maker. You can tell based on all of the interactions with him that he regrets what he's being forced to do, but is doing it because he's being short sighted and desperate.
Sorry but call BS there. What defines or makes a bad person then? Ohhhh he regrets it...like being sorry you got ccaught cheating...not sorry because you were cheating. Same shit different way of expressing it. Regrets my ass....still did it all didn't he? So do we blame bad storytelling or are we still defending a chump who as you rightly said, should have dropped out of college and started working his ass off for what he wants? Or...would that be the actual tough life decision, easier to take the easy way out? But of course...he not a bad person right?

As for what would you do for family? Again, depends on your own moral code doesn't it?

Rindarion

Apr 26, 2019
What? That's not happening anymore. When it was just him creeping around and spying he could come back from that, but after he gets involved in assault, kidnapping and murder no way. Him, Ryker and Kenji will 100% be off the team, no way our guy ever agrees to set foot in a court with them again.
Yeah, Damien has fucked up royally. I have a hard time seeing/accepting him getting any kind of redemption at this point.

BTLD

Engaged Member
Sep 18, 2017

it doesn't make him a bad person cause he did that to help his mother it makes him a bad person and a shit "friend" cause he could have tipped somehow MC and let him now ...could have even worked as a spy as someone else mentioned
and just for the last update from my POV fuck Damien

ZTex

Engaged Member
Apr 3, 2019
it doesn't make him a bad person cause he did that to help his mother it makes him a bad person and a shit "friend" cause he could have tipped somehow MC and let him now ...could have even worked as a spy as someone else mentioned
and just for the last update from my POV fuck Damien
Did you even play the update ?
The man literally told you to run away that he couldn't help you this time with Ryker because he was out of control.

crabsinthekitchen

Apr 28, 2020
I gotta stop thinking too much about the fight scene but there's something that's bugging me about it and I can't point out what. I don't mind the mood shift, that's fine. But some things are weird. Like how did MC catch the bat while Gorg was holding him down? MC and his mom talking while Ryker just stands there screaming is also weird. Knocking out Ryker or at least pinning him down so he doesn't move until police arrives would make more sense, you can talk after that. And why did Skye have to fight Gorg? Wasn't that gorilla hit by a car?

ZTex

Engaged Member
Apr 3, 2019
Yeah would be nice....so we can bone Jasmine in front of him...a 'reminder not to fuck with me' moment ;)

Sorry but call BS there. What defines or makes a bad person then? Ohhhh he regrets it...like being sorry you got ccaught cheating...not sorry because you were cheating. Same shit different way of expressing it. Regrets my ass....still did it all didn't he? So do we blame bad storytelling or are we still defending a chump who as you rightly said, should have dropped out of college and started working his ass off for what he wants? Or...would that be the actual tough life decision, easier to take the easy way out? But of course...he not a bad person right?

As for what would you do for family? Again, depends on your own moral code doesn't it?
Did Damien do anything to physically harm you or anyone you know ?
Nope. He's not once harmed you or done anything anyone else isn't. Your entire life is literally on display for the world to see, including the person he's shown you too in Ryker.

As for my own moral code, you're asking a guy whose family lineage comes from the NY mob. So ask me again what i wouldn't do for family. Here's a small time hint: Blood is thicker than Water.

BTLD

Engaged Member
Sep 18, 2017
Did you even play the update ?
The man literally told you to run away that he couldn't help you this time with Ryker because he was out of control.
and then stood there and watched MC get his ass stomped ...right lets forgive him cause he told us to run away while also standing and watching 4 fucktards stomp MC's ass....seriously man?thats the defense for Damian?he should be forgiven cause while we were getting cornered that fucktard said to run away ?nope sorry
(i'm aggravated by the Damian not you just in case you take this personal which is not)

ZTex

Engaged Member
Apr 3, 2019
and then stood there and watched MC get his ass stomped ...right lets forgive him cause he told us to run away while also standing and watching 4 fucktards stomp MC's ass....seriously man?thats the defense for Damian?he should be forgiven cause while we were getting cornered that fucktard said to run away ?nope sorry
(i'm aggravated by the Damian not you just in case you take this personal which is not)
Uh no he didn't just stand there, he was carrying the other person who Ryker beat down away.
He literally had his hands full. He didn't harm the MC at all.

alyath

May 31, 2020
Braindrop or anyone who knows: I have a question, hopefully it is not answered yet. But why did all People in the Game are barefoot? Are there any Issues with shoes or did it just flip?
And don´t take me wrong, the Game is great and so is the update. I was just curious. It is just a question, no offense.

BTLD

Engaged Member
Sep 18, 2017
Uh no he didn't just stand there, he was carrying the other person who Ryker beat down away.
He could have let that person down and help MC , that is not a excuse

Reactions: Naxos

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
He did by deliberate inaction, not at least calling for outside help to stop what was happening. Now whether you think he had good reasons for that or not, is up to you to decide. Others will feel different though.

Guess in a month or two besides the we want Azel threads, there we will be as many we want rid of Damien threads (if Brain decides to redeem him and let him play in the team) with why can't we rape Kenji with a very big cactus up his ass. :p

Now I am still in the Damien can be redeemed team, but nope he did not do the best or even all he could without interfering in the fight to keep someone he called a friend safe or help him.

Reactions: Dripping

ZTex

Engaged Member
Apr 3, 2019
He could have let that person down and help MC , that is not a excuse
He woulda, coulda, shoulda done many things to make you happy.
It's not your story though so we can only go with what happened and not what you want.

The facts don't support your irrational hatred of a guy whose sole crime is making some very boneheaded life choices to help pay for his mothers medical issues. That doesn't make him an irredeemable person. It adds drama to the story and adds a choice in the future for the players to make. You can either help him get on the right track or not. Right now judging by how illogical some of the post here are i can see the majority of people wont want to see him reedemed. That's fine that's your call, but the character while flawed is not without the ability to be reedemed.

3.70 star(s) 642 Votes