ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
i'm wondering if BD really did this ... Harpers abs are too much compared to the reg. game .... and those censored areas look more like scratches ... and since when did BD ever put in the MC head .. never that i know of ... so who did this ??

Trojaner

Donor
Apr 4, 2018
i'm wondering if BD really did this ... Harpers abs are too much compared to the reg. game .... and those censored areas look more like scratches ... and since when did BD ever put in the MC head .. never that i know of ... so who did this ??
Well, it shows more or less that he isn't able to manage all things right at his state now. He's in a fucking Deep Hole where he need a lot to fight to get out of it.

Bob69

Uploading the World
Uploader
Donor
Compressor
Mar 2, 2019

Sup guys.
I just felt like typing some shit out. I know I said the next thoughts post would be on the 2nd but I'm feeling a certain type of way and I just know what I have to do even if you guys won't like it.

It's no secret that shit has been fucked for a while.
It all starts and stops with me, and I've been on quite the self destructive journey lately.
Things kept clashing together in the worst ways at the worst times and I let myself slowly fall into this mental block.
I can't describe the mental side of this shit. All I can say is that putting the actual update out is simultaneously something that I know has to be done and I want to do, and is also something that I dread having to do.
The pressure, the expectations, the finality of it all.
It's all self imposed issues. I know that, I'm not trying to deny it.

It's almost been a year since the last actual update. A fucking year.
There's so much work done but none of it has been shown and it's the most frustrating thing. I hate this, I hate feeling incapable.
The obvious question is "What's stopping you from releasing it?"
And I don't have a good answer. Anytime I sit down and package it and think about calling it done, I get this deep guttural feeling of dread. I'm so fucking mentally blocked up and I don't know why.
I fucking wish I did.
It's not something I think about once and then put off for a month. It is all day every single day.
But I've been doing everything I can to get away from it. To try and put it off but it's impossible.
My wife mentioned to me about how she thinks I'm worried to call it quits on it because then everything that has happened this year is over. It means I'm over it and it shouldn't.
There's so fucking much that I haven't told you guys about shit that has happened because I hate sounding like a fucking excuse robot. There's been so many times where I've typed out these long rant posts just to ctrl+w at the end. (Don't try that command unless you're tired of reading this btw)
Working on WVM has always been an escape for me... and something about stopping the work that I was doing when all of these things happened feels like I'm closing away that part of my life... I think.
Does it really make sense? No, but it just... it is what it is I don't know what else to say.
I've been stuck and I want out. I need out.
And that brings me to this next part.

I made the DITLO with Harper and I had a fucking blast making it. It was fun to write... hell it was even fun to edit the images (Which is usually the biggest bore for me).
And... it was even fun to release.
Sure, it may not be what you guys really wanted right now. Sure, it may suck that she was censored in it. I get it, but that's not what really matters.
It was the first time in nearly a year that I felt good about releasing something.
Like really good, I feel great right now which is insane.

There's many reasons for that but the important bit for this is that it made me realize what I need to do.
I've asked about it before and you guys overwhelmingly said to hold off and release the update in full all at once.
And I do agree that that way would be the best for the game and the best overall experience... but I can't. Trust me, I want to... but I can't.
The simplest way I can put it is that there's too much instant finality to it. I put a piece of me into every part of this game and I think it makes it a good game but it also makes situations like these... really hard to let go of.
When it's over... life goes back to normal. And that scares the fuck out of me right now.
But it has to be over.

Part of me says that I should just rip the band aid off but I'm legitimately scared of things going poorly and me ending up in an even worst spot.
There's so much emotionally put into this update... it's fucking rough man.

I've always enjoyed small consistent releases... mostly. I get the most short term enjoyment from them but I don't feel like they're what's best for the game in a developmental aspect. And I've become incapable of the consistent part anyway.
So... instead of ripping the band aid off I'm going to slowly peel and chew at the bastard until it's gone.
I'm going to sit down and parse the update out in chunks that make sense to me and I'm going to release those chunks.
I'm going to allow myself to work on some of the scenes again... there are a few that I genuinely think I can improve rather easily and quickly. I'm not going to let myself go into perfectionist mode... and that's not what this has been about. I don't think anyway.

I can do it in chunks... I'm not going to pretend like I won't be stressed or be bogged down by that dread feeling... but I can manage it.
It has to get done.
I really tried to do it the way that most of you wanted it to be... I did.
I still want to do it that way but I simply can't I'm sorry.

I'm going to hold off on the character sheets and bday renders that were planned and focus on getting the update chunked out before releasing those.

And ultimately if you want to wait for all of it to be out then you're free to do so.
I just know that this is the only way for me to get out of this block I'm in right now.
I thought letting enough time pass would let me heal enough but the pressure of the update is really slowing that stuff down.

I do apologize for going this route after asking how you guys wanted it.
It's out of necessity though and I hope you understand.

I'll have info about update sizes and dates soon.
Thanks for caring enough to read my brain vomit.
Love you guys and talk to you soon.

(Oh and each release for this will be available to all patrons and former patrons (Through discord))

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
I could see that but the thing is that weeks ago he said that he got the first day ready with more than 1.5k renders ready and that it was just the last day that needed to be touched up.
He now releasing anything but a complete day that was ready and was a solution he offered some time ago would be a huge fuck you to any fan of his work, if he brings an update and is not a full day or is a really small part it's a mistake, but well I will just unsub and go my way, braindrop seems to have lost his way.
If he actually has those 2k renders done we'll know it soon enough - that is, if he's really serious about this and these smaller updates come out in a regular and somehow fast schedule.

All I know is that I tried to write one of these games some time ago. A short thing, nothing fancy, with no pics, only text. I have 1 path ready to go (with some subpaths) that I could have released at least as a text-based game. It was completely playable. However, I wasn't able to write a satisfying path for the other LI planned. As a result, while I tried to come up with that other story, I started to tamper with the first one, modifying some variables, altering some scenes that in second sight weren't as perfect as they could be, coming up with some extra content that could fit in... and now the script that back then was perfectly ready to go is now a broken utter mess. So I totally get why those figures don't actually mean anything in terms of the product as a whole.

SerHawkes

Engaged Member
Oct 29, 2017
At this point, considering the lack of updates and the issues with BD, he really should just buck the trend of solo deving and just hire a writer/proofreader and someone to help with renders. He can still have say on what he wants for the story, refine and rework and focus on the story element, make it clearer and such, and with the help of the writer, clean up the story to make more sense (and get rid of that bru bru crap). Similarly, having someone to help with renders would give him time to work out the story and such.

There are more and more renderers out there, he can just easily find someone how he could get along with and work out a affordable agreement, similar to a writer/proofreader. It's not that hard of a thing to do. But yeah, the whole 'Solo Dev' thing for this game has been painstaking, on both fronts. I used to love the potential of this game, and still want to put a kid into Harper, but at this point, it's clear that BD needs to get some help, developing and mentally. And there wouldn't be shame in doing so.

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

:HideThePain:
Finally, that feedback the patreons gave him was awfull, he was desperately calling for help and his patreons send him deeper into the rabbit hole.

Releasing something, even if its not the complete update is the only way to get out of the hole he is now. He was never going to release the full update, we all knew that

kameohawk

Dec 16, 2017
I don't get the mentality of "he can just hire someone". It's the actual creator that make it what it is. He could hire a team of people to carry on, it would still become something and someone else's.
Well...... no. It would depend on who he's hiring. If he hires someone to help write the story then it will become something else, be it for better or worse. But hiring someone to help the renders of pre-existing models isn't going to change much beyond possibly speeding things up.

It's not like he's drawing the art himself.

Maestro91

Aug 2, 2017
Coming in completely cold here, not read anything other than some reactons that are disappointed in the update.
I've not read up on how much work the dev has done but I hear it's something like 2k renders while he dealt with the irl stuff.
And apparantly now releases some mini updates, which people on this thread has a problem with.

How many here that are now complaining have been an active patron? I seem to remember when I was a patron, whenever he had totake a break or didin't meet the deadline he always paused his page so no one would be charged.
I don't know if that is the case this time around but from his track record I'm inclined to think so.

Point is, if he's made all this in his off time, and haven't charged anyone, then doesn't it stand to reason that he can choose to release it in portions so that he get payed for what he would usually get if he did it monthly?

As I said I have no idea what has been going on over on his patreon page and over here on the thread excpet for the last two pages, so feel free to correct me.

Hopefully with facts and proof.

And on another note.
Braindrop, if you read this thread I am glad to see you back, I've not tried the game in a while but I really liked it while I was still pledging before I had to cancel it cause of reasons. Hope you are well.

Last edited:

kameohawk

Dec 16, 2017
When he said he was going to break the big update into several smaller updates it gives off the vibe he is going to start milking patrons.
To be fair given the time it's been since the last update, there's an argument to be said that is already taking place so I don't believe he's at the milking part. I think he's just trying to temper the vitirol being aimed his way for perceived last of effort on his part

Reactions: grim019

J.R.

Jan 2, 2020
At this point, considering the lack of updates and the issues with BD, he really should just buck the trend of solo deving and just hire a writer/proofreader and someone to help with renders. He can still have say on what he wants for the story, refine and rework and focus on the story element, make it clearer and such, and with the help of the writer, clean up the story to make more sense (and get rid of that bru bru crap). Similarly, having someone to help with renders would give him time to work out the story and such.

There are more and more renderers out there, he can just easily find someone how he could get along with and work out a affordable agreement, similar to a writer/proofreader. It's not that hard of a thing to do. But yeah, the whole 'Solo Dev' thing for this game has been painstaking, on both fronts. I used to love the potential of this game, and still want to put a kid into Harper, but at this point, it's clear that BD needs to get some help, developing and mentally. And there wouldn't be shame in doing so.
This unfortunately mostly won't work out. Have seen way too many projects die because a team couldn't find a way to work good together. Mostly only if they started it together. And BD is in my eyes a solo dev, not a "team leader". And you MUST be a team leader, otherwise it's worse then before.

Trikus

May 31, 2020
Then Harper is basically telling her daughter that she wishes she never had her etc. I get that Brain Drop is going through some mental stuff but it's bleeding into the writing and not for the better. Sorry no daughter or son wants to hear that from their mother.

View attachment 1837821
Honestly that felt real to me. While most wouldn't admit it publicly, a lot of parents have had that thought cross their mind at least once when going through extremely tough times. Yeah, most don't actually say it, but it seems Harper and Natalie are open and honest with each other. Natalie also knows that her mom wouldn't change anything and is just going through a tough time.

3.70 star(s) 642 Votes