Mar 27, 2019
Nah, he needs the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Or maybe Chtulhu to MAKE him release or else...
NOPE!!! I'm sleepin' off a pretty good bender under the ocean right now...not getting ANYWHERE in the middle of all this. I'm just gonna stay here dreaming about this shitshow (from both sides) and eat me some dream popcorn until the hangover wears off and the Earth looks tasty again.

Sep 16, 2021
I know what depression is. I have like a dozen suicide attempts under my belt, 2 where I ended up in intensive care then the mental unit. NOT an excuse to go almost ONE FUCKING YEAR no release. Get your fucking ass in gear or GTFO! No more of this bullshit beta or side projects that are CENSORED (what were you thinking?) Get a real update released! Not stupid bullshit! 6 months is unacceptable. Maybe you need a pimp rather than a drill sergeant? WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE A NEW RELEASE (SLAP!!!) What's the matter with you???(SLAP!!!!!) Get out there and do it! (SLAP!!!!)
this is embarrassing lol jesus

Wen I Say

Mar 17, 2019
I'm not a patron and I never comment on how long it takes a dev to put out a release. I'm a pirate it's not my concern, but holy fuck what is this nonsense. First of all the only way an update could end mid sentence would be if he cut a render in half, or did it on purpose. If that was an attempt at humor after all this bullshit he should've reconsidered.

His patrons voted to get larger updates instead of the small chunk updates. Now almost a year later he decides fuck that I want to take the large update I supposedly have done and cut it up into small chunk updates. Plus it's going to take 2 months or more to release all of it. No dates on when any of it will be released either.

The ditlo was a horrible idea. I love Harper she is probably my favorite character, but you don't make a day in the life of Harper when you have to censor it because you don't want that to be the first place she is seen nude. Pick a different character if that is the case, or simply don't do it.
Bruh..... at least i'm not the only one throwin a flag on this play. This is bullshit through and through not enough white shields in the world to block this shit.

Ranting Old Man

Donor
Oct 24, 2019
Look before i begin i want to clarify. I don't blame anyone who is a supporter of BD to suspend their support. I also don't blame others for questioning intentions, especially since money is involved. What I'm about to say isn't a defense of BD, it's actually more accurately a statement of reality.

So first off, if you don't want to support don't support, if you don't trust BD then follow your gut. But don't mistake your support as a contract or a purchase. The only thing BD owes Patreons are the tier based rewards. If you continue supporting him understand that's exactly what you are doing, supporting him. The project survives off of donations and generosity. You aren't backing the project as an investor, you are supporting the Dev for the projects that he's working on. This isn't go fund me where you are giving money for a specific product, person or service. On Patreon you specifically support creators because you enjoy what they create.
I want you to truly understand what that means here. You aren't owed anything other than teir rewards. That's it. So support for the creator is exactly that, support. You are paying for his doctors appointments, his marriage, his home, his funerals. His food and all his other bills, as well as supporting his machine/machines, programs, models and more.
Can he achieve as much without you? Obviously not, it's not in his best interest to do things that affect or hurt his fan base so i think i see a few things that i want you to consider.

1. He's been very forthcoming with information this whole time. This is a good sign that he's still communicating. The Tyrant went dead and not a word from it's creator. Devs generally stop communicating as much when they are given up on a project.

2. Covid 19 did happen. I know it's memes and all of that, but still this pandemic has had a huge affect on everyone's mental health. He has had alot happen in his life and as someone whos gone through simular things i can understand how that affects you. Keep in mind depression and anxiety affects everyone different but i think it affects BD simular to how it affects me. It's like loosing the will to do anything and the only way i get out of my huge dumps is with proper medication, therapy and lots of support. So yeah people might be getting banned from his discord for speaking out. But when your like this thay negatively does more damage than anything, you can't be around it to get moving again.

I guess what I'm trying to say is bail if your going to bail, but if your sticking around do so for the right reasons and be supportive. If by August nothing has changed i recommend at that time to leave but until then, let's just say that even though I'm not a patreon myself, i just don't believe he's milking it or even lying. I believe that this game blew up huge and the expectations that landed on BD were likely more than his anxiety could handle, coupled with tragedy followed by depression is the perfect recipe for this kind of disaster. Everyone grieves and handles anxiety and depression differently. You can tell when playing that this game and it's story means alot to the guy and that he enjoys sharing it so I'm going to give it a little longer.

Buddawg

Aug 12, 2017
So I'm replying to this post because what you say about chronic depression hits close to home and I will apologize right now if I sound like a dick, but that is not my intention whatsoever.

The thing about depression which you need to understand is that it is a psychological problem and not a physiological one. It is not like a flu or COVID where everyone gets varying degrees of the same symptoms. It is completely different for different people. You say you went to work everyday and didn't let it hamper your work and thats great but generalizing that to everyone with depression is wrong. I was diagnosed with chronic depression too back in 2020, alongside a healthy dose of anxiety with multiple troughs as my therapist called it ranging from mild to severe depression that went on for almost a decade (simply because I was not willing to accept it and seek help due the stigma associated with it in my country). Now I worked for 2 years while depressed (till may 2017) and I was miserable every minute of it even when I was reconized as one of the best employees in the company. It meant nothing to me since I was mostly working on auto and separating my emotions completely. Anyways at some all that came crashing down and I resigned and got into that same pattern you described for you friend. I know why I followed that pattern and I'll explain that later.

But moving on in 2019 I went for higher education in a foreign and pushed through the 1st semester somehow but all that misery that had built up crashed down on me in the 2nd one and I got to a point I never ever want to get to again and lets just say the only reason I'm typing this right now is because I failed at that too and luckily for me found a much better option and I can say wholeheartedly that I'm glad to be alive right now.

Gettin back to your friend. I was in a similar pattern of playing games , wathing movies/series/streams just so I could keep all that built up misery (emotions) at bay simply because I was not even close to brave enough to handle them. So I would spend all my awake time keeping myself occupied with something/anything to feel somewhat sane and as such I dreaded going to sleep since I had nothing to distract me there. But after going to sleep somehow, I would start that exact same pattern again and as you can imagine this only worked for so long till 2020 as I described above.

Now the reason I made this post is not because of BD - at this point I don't expect an update and I will get back to this later. The reason I made this is just to give you an example of depression affects people differently and your friend might need serious help. From experience, what I can tell is that you fight your way everyday through it but I genuinely feel you need help to really get over it and actually move on with your life. If you acn talk to your friend instead of judging them based on your experience, since they might be afftected by the aame illness but in an extremely different way. Just a suggestion and its entirely your choice, don't take this to mean "yo dawg, you know nothing about depression and I'm right!" Thats not it. Just simply an example of a different reaction to depression and I hope it can help your friend out.

Now back to BD. The way I see it, there are 2 option. 1) he really is going through depression/anxiety or any other mental (makes no fucking sense) health issues that have supposedly been going on for over a year. In this case he really should shut down this whole patreon bs and seek help either from someone who knows him very well or from a professional (and I do mean professional not one of those judgmental assholes with a degree in psychology/psychaitry whatever) because he ain't getting over this the way he's been going about it.

2) it all bullshit and 2k renders don't exist. Dude is just buying himself time to play catch up for 1 year of nothingness.

I'm more inclined towards the 2nd one simply because I don't know him and there have just been too many devs before him, who've followed this exact same pattern. Funny thing is, when I got out of the whole situation I described above and started working again I wanted to support some devs and BD was one of them. For obvious reasons I decided I would wait for the next update and well here we are - money saved.

Anyways, too long a post, but I do wish you and friend the best. Hope thing work out for both of you.

Lets take this in steps.
I NEVER stated depression was physical. Thats entirely YOU readin that out of the blue.
It IS a disorder with severety differences. Thats actually all it is. You dont get different kinds of depression, you get degrees of severety excactly same symptoms. Some symptoms you might not have effectively, because you learned how to cope with them normally.
And you CAN generalize how you let depression effect you. Its purely and entirely a mental state, derived from a possible deficiancy in your bodys ability to administer/produce the three drugs seratonin/endorfins/forgot last.

"simply because I was not willing to accept it and seek help due the stigma associated with it" and this is the crux of it and why ppl with depression usually doesnt get better. And the first part explained why you even with your accomplishments and later attempts at getting further in life, didnt matter. You still didnt attend to the problem.

"Gettin back to your friend. I was in a similar pattern of playing games , wathing movies/series/streams just so I could keep all that built up misery (emotions) at bay simply because I was not even close to brave enough to handle them. So I would spend all my awake time keeping myself occupied with something/anything to feel somewhat sane and as such I dreaded going to sleep since I had nothing to distract me there. But after going to sleep somehow, I would start that exact same pattern again and as you can imagine this only worked for so long till 2020 as I described above."
This is the default setting for someone doing nothing about his wellbeing. You chased seratonin. The instant gratification part of your body. Just like my friend. And this is why depressed ppl stay depressed. They dont go for long term happy drugs, only short term. They dont last, and at some point they dont even work anymore, because your body gets oversaturated by it.

"The reason I made this is just to give you an example of depression affects people differently and your friend might need serious help."
You pretty much described standard depression that every depressed person has. And showed the distractions they find themself caught in. Instant gratification to at least feel anything.
My friend does get help, he just doesnt respond to it. He instead uses it as an acceptance of his bad state, and indulges in it to a degree that makes him worse. It becomes a "valid" excuse for him to keep chasing seratonin and not havin to do the hard work. And its actually to the point where he is starting to lie to his therapist to get further validations and diagnosis' so he can cement his position even more. He is chasing with every fiber of his being, the easy way out. And then when he at rare moments get a glimpse at real life, he gets further depressed because now a lot of time has passed him by, and he has done nothing in that time.

"From experience, what I can tell is that you fight your way everyday through it but I genuinely feel you need help to really get over it and actually move on with your life"
Here you are just salty as fuck. Maybe its jealousy, I really dont know. But you and I both know what Chronic depression means... well unless you were lying. There is NO getting over it, its for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. You know, what chronic actually means. I am at a state where I have accepted it, and work with it. I am well aware I will never feel "happy" ever again. I am aware I wont feel in love again.
I have through 20 fucking years learned how to prioritize what to spend my energy on, because its lacking. I have learned what to cut out of my live, who to cut out of my life. So I can function at a minimum, without feeling like taking my own life.
I have been working for many years with this. And have been working on so many aspects of my life to get here, at a state where I function. Its not fucking pride, its PRIORITY. Its simply discipline. And its something every single depressive person needs to learn. Discipline keeps you functioning, and paying attention to stress and how you process bad thoughts, is what keeps you from relapsing. And its why with severely depressed ppl, this is what they teach them. How to keep bad thoughts at bay, how to keep your hygene, how to keep doing your chores/job, how to fall asleep or how to keep a sleeping schedule. How to stay on track with exercise and any dietary needs. Its to teach discipline, so you can help yourself all the while teaching what helps.

Why am I mentioning my friend (in your eyes in a judgemental way). Because he is the polar opposite of a functioning depressive person, and Dev here has the same airs around him. I mention myself, because I AM a functional chronic depressive. I dont wallow in my despair, I stop the dark and debilitating thoughts, I dont use excuses. But I DID. I was my friend. Untill I learned the simple fact.... to get better, its all on YOURSELF and how you think and act.
Thats part of why my friend lives in my house. So he can see, that it works. So he can learn the difference, because he doesnt get it on his own. And I dont want my friend to become chronic or waste 10 years of his life, doing what I did and you do, that doesnt work.
Ive been chronic depressive for 20 years.. Aka, its been 20 years since I was diagnosed with chronic depression. I had depression way before that. And I didnt learn fast enough.
With depression there are three types in general. Those that learn fast, and get out of the depression (with or without help, doesnt matter, they learn fast they need to put in effort to change). Those that learn way too slow (me), and those that never learn (never gets to be functional or just ends it themselves). And you learn fast among depressed whos who. Do they use their diagnosis to stay as they are, or do they use it to get better. (and for the ME's, a long state of of the first untill they realize). If they seem to wallow in their state, they wont ever be type 1. If they use their diagnosis to keep stasis (me), and the last, if they use their diagnosis to keep stasis and use it as an excuse to be worse or get attention (might even seek more diagnosis' to validate even more excuses). Ive spent way too much time dealing with depressives. Having been in groups, having been teaching groups, having mentorships with them to help them get further. You really really learn what signs to look for. They are simplified here, but pretty explanatory.

willfer03

Sep 25, 2017
Not read this thread for a year because I lost trust in BD since way back then, seems things have gotten even worse. 8 months without proper update and then delaying further without good reason(other than buy himself more time for the next update)...you just know things are bad when the dev is defending himself and making excuses in his own game thread and barely have any vocal supporters left.

Fucker289

Jul 5, 2020
In the last scene of game it was written as new update will be on November 2021....but it's 2022 June....
was that an error or is update still pendingg or someting

• Haha
Reactions: Jarul

Nilloc

Jan 22, 2018
I simply don't believe that he's sitting on 2k complete renders.
Yup. He was procrastinating. Now he is in panic mode. Releasing a side update to keep his patreons "happy" and attacking anyone that is calling him out. If you check out his discord its an absolute gem of an echo chamber. You gotta praise him for manipulating so many people around his problems in order to get money by doing the absolute minimum/nothing.
I think the process of promises and delays will continue until its no longer profitable.

3.70 star(s) 642 Votes