Naps-On-Dirt

Dec 7, 2023
Quick question, is the dev a native english speaker? The technical aspect of the writing usually looks like a native speaker (or at least has a native speaker proofreader) but I've run into a couple weird grammatical things that make me wonder.
1720141059337.png
This is the second time I've seen "can" used where "be able to" should be. Or "may" shouldn't be in the sentence (or be "maybe" instead.) Either would work but not both. There was also an instance of a double plural but I don't remember the exact context so its hard to explain what I mean by that.

hic86

Jul 24, 2022
Quick question, is the dev a native english speaker? The technical aspect of the writing usually looks like a native speaker (or at least has a native speaker proofreader) but I've run into a couple weird grammatical things that make me wonder.
View attachment 3799612
This is the second time I've seen "can" used where "be able to" should be. Or "may" shouldn't be in the sentence (or be "maybe" instead.) Either would work but not both. There was also an instance of a double plural but I don't remember the exact context so its hard to explain what I mean by that.
He is, but you need to remember that most of these devs (native, or non-native English speakers) are not typically proficient writers. Especially ones that do not have/use supports for things like grammar and spelling, It's not their strong points.

Compared to some of the hot garbage that comes out from non-native devs using google translate, BD is pretty solid.

Goopgoop

Sep 10, 2022
It is a bit weird...
I mean there have been times in my adult life where due to a restaurant's proximity to my job, I ate there literally 5 days a week for over a year and never had that type of familiarity with the manager...just saying.
That restaurant you went to 5 days a week... did you ever have an actual conversation with any of the people working there? You can't really get familiar with someone if you don't talk to them a fair bit.

As for old ladies being called granny by half the neighbourhood, that isn't strange to me. They just acted like they were the grandma of anyone they were on good terms with. And that group just gradually expands as everyone keeps introducing new people to her. Until everyone just knows her as granny. It's not something you do as a customer, but they do as a proprietor. Or even just as a neighbour.

Grif1001

Game Developer
Aug 30, 2017
View attachment 3799612
Yes, he is a native English speaker.
No, he's not an English major. He writes with improper grammar.
Most Americans have regional dialects based on where we live this however is more likely to be an improper speach patern steming from a poor education level. "May can" is a comon phrase among the lesser educated. Another common double modal is something like “he might could help you” Additional examples of lesser educated speach styles would be something like "them things" instead of those things, or “everything what he told you” instead of everything that he told you.

English is a pain in the butt language. we start it in 1st grade and take it every year for 12 years. Then we graduate and if you go to university We still have to take it again, and if you want to get a degree in it you have to take 4 more years worth.
It's not uncommon for some people to write with the same poor speach paterns that they pick up from the society they are raised in, that's just the way it is...

I do understand that it is anoying, I get it. Personally, I find it extreemly anoying when people interchange "Then" and Than" and say something like "Given the choice I'd rather have chicken then shrimp. I hate shrimp." obviously what they mean is "Given the choice I'd rather have chicken than shrimp." (for those non native speakers who don't understand the difference, the first means you will eat both chicken and shrimp but have a preference in the order they are eaten. the second statement means that if you can choose you want chicken instead of shrimp)

Anyway, I digress... BD is a native English speaker, he just has some bad/wrong speech paterns.

Naps-On-Dirt

Dec 7, 2023
Yes, he is a native English speaker.
No, he's not an English major. He writes with improper grammar.
Most Americans have regional dialects based on where we live this however is more likely to be an improper speach patern steming from a poor education level. "May can" is a comon phrase among the lesser educated. Another common double modal is something like “he might could help you” Additional examples of lesser educated speach styles would be something like "them things" instead of those things, or “everything what he told you” instead of everything that he told you.

English is a pain in the butt language. we start it in 1st grade and take it every year for 12 years. Then we graduate and if you go to university We still have to take it again, and if you want to get a degree in it you have to take 4 more years worth.
It's not uncommon for some people to write with the same poor speach paterns that they pick up from the society they are raised in, that's just the way it is...

I do understand that it is anoying, I get it. Personally, I find it extreemly anoying when people interchange "Then" and Than" and say something like "Given the choice I'd rather have chicken then shrimp. I hate shrimp." obviously what they mean is "Given the choice I'd rather have chicken than shrimp." (for those non native speakers who don't understand the difference, the first means you will eat both chicken and shrimp but have a preference in the order they are eaten. the second statement means that if you can choose you want chicken instead of shrimp)

Anyway, I digress... BD is a native English speaker, he just has some bad/wrong speech paterns.
Yeah that makes sense. It kinda bugs me that this stuff irritates me because I really disliked the writing and grammar classes in school. My biggest pet peeve is that for some linguistic reason unknown to me, translating from a certain language (not sure which) causes mixed up pronouns and determiners. "This" where "that" should be or vice versa, and sometimes when there are both men and women as subject/objects they get gender pronouns mixed up. But why do I care? I'm not a writer. I haven't even used a word processor more complex than Notepad in, well, a long time. Why do I still remember these rules and why do I care when they're broken? :/

But I'm also just posting something other than criticizing the dev for their bad record with releases because I'm looking forward to it's arrival. :D

Reactions: Grif1001

pastaxpastax

Jul 15, 2023
View attachment 3799612
Yeah it's regional dialect from around the Baltimore area.

LordWanze

Jan 27, 2022
I find it always interesting hearing about the struggles native people have with learning their own language.
Our country teaches English as a secondary language in elementary school and children usually adopt it quite effortlessly.
I myself studied it for some time besides actual hard to master languages like German and Russian, and even if I compared old versions of literature like Shakespeare's works to say Goethe, it always felt way easier than any other language, both in understanding and reproducing.
Of course I am old now and maybe just the guy at the fence barking at the useless youth

Last edited:

MrLKX

Jan 12, 2021
I find it always interesting hearing about the struggles native people have with learning their own language.
Our country teaches English as a secondary language in elementary school and children usually adopt it quite effortlessly.
I myself studied it for some time besides actual hard to master languages like German and Russian, and even if I compared old versions of literature like Shakespeare's works to say Goethe, it always felt way easier than any other language, both in understanding and reproducing.
Of course I am old now and maybe just the guy at the fence barking at the useless youth
To be fair, there are a number of memes on the topic of 'the vs. all the different articles the German language has'. And I can well imagine that this can be very challenging for non-native speakers, especially when I see that native speakers already have problems in some cases.

LordWanze

Jan 27, 2022
To be fair, there are a number of memes on the topic of 'the vs. all the different articles the German language has'. And I can well imagine that this can be very challenging for non-native speakers, especially when I see that native speakers already have problems in some cases.
And to be double fair: it is not any critique.
I had classes with children who struggled a lot with English, especially its pronounciation.
It is just an observation that intrigued me, since languages in general were always a hobby for me.
I live in a WG for quite some time now and encountered almost all kinds of people from around the world. And the conversations with them always lead in one way or another to their language, their slang or unique features.
Just fascinating.

Reactions: Grif1001

MrLKX

Jan 12, 2021
And to be double fair: it is not any critique.
I had classes with children who struggled a lot with English, especially its pronounciation.
It is just an observation that intrigued me, since languages in general were always a hobby for me.
I live in a WG for quite some time now and encountered almost all kinds of people from around the world. And the conversations with them always lead in one way or another to their language, their slang or unique features.
Just fascinating.
Absolutely agree there.

Nov 6, 2023
View attachment 3786998
If this doesn't end saying that we are some kind of reincarnation of a sex god then this is just stupid at this point lol
This game is mostly good, but the "time for sleep" stuff like seen in this picture is by far the stupidest shit I've seen in a game.

Like, first off, where tf do you get a bed that big? Second, who tf is comfortable sleeping like that? Not a single girl is thinking "Yea, I'm good. I don't need to sleep with all this body heat".

I know we're meant to suspend reality with these games, but c'mon.

WolfVG

Feb 3, 2021
This game has jumped the shark too many times.

Also the whole rework of the game is still the stupidest thing ever. Imagine if your favourite TV show suddenly reworked the 1st 2 seasons again for no reason at all

Dumber0

Jul 27, 2017
Cant believe he is still giving release dates, warned him about it after the first missed date that he would only hurt the Braindrop name, man he has missed alot of dates. WTF is he doing? i was prolly 1 of the first to unsub from him. Sad..

LordWanze

Jan 27, 2022
I really wonder if at this anyone actually believed that anything would be out today.
Don't be shy, speak up, there is help out there.

3.70 star(s) 650 Votes