Renart

Sep 12, 2020
In a game that, to me, seems to be largely built around the characters and their social interactions? I have to disagree, I think their wants are very important.
I sometimes pick jerk choices just to see the reactions and have a laugh, but never really go through with them. I always roll back and do it properly. As for Lyriel, I most likely could never bring myself to be mean to her :LOL:

MoarDakka123

Jul 7, 2020
I sometimes pick jerk choices just to see the reactions and have a laugh, but never really go through with them. I always roll back and do it properly. As for Lyriel, I most likely could never bring myself to be mean to her :LOL:
Ditto, dialogue is so good that I always save at the start of an event, try the options, then feel like shit whenever I pick the mean choices :(

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
I can agree. Not always, but quite often it really is worth it to go through all possible permutations. Especially with Lyriel and Cait.

Reactions: Skorm007

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
So, does anyone know why could this traceback error happen? During Lyriel's and Naomi's argument, right after you you can hug Cait

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
That's some kind of problem with the system that decides where each girl is at what times. Only ZanithOne can fix that I'd say. It would help him if you post your save file and let us know if it was a new one or one brought forwards from an earlier version.

Eugie

Aug 16, 2018
It's a new save file from version 5.5r1

Event happens when you go to the Living Room and gives that error right after it.

Edit: I also thought it was due to Naomi's training events but it happens even after them

Last edited:

DanglyBang

May 10, 2018
ZanithOne
Okay, I figured out the problem with my error not starting the game.
Ren'Py can't deal with special characters like the checkmark ✓ I use on the parent folder name within which I place the game updates, because it's mentally castrated. As soon as I remove the checkmark, the game starts up fine. I had it happen again with another Ren'Py game with checkmark and connected the dots.
So, putting special characters into folder names of Ren'Py games on Windows 10 results in an error where the game can't start. You can add that as a caution or something. I use checkmark to label games which I've placed in my big list of recommended games.
[2021-05-21] 20-16 [FVideo_GamesVN_Paths_-_XYplorer_21.20.0100_-_(A].png

Reactions: criestoomuch

QQP_Purple

Dec 11, 2020
Why would you use anything but alphanumeric characters in file names anyway? That's just...

I mean, as a professional software developer I applaud your ability to deliberately find the most imaginative possible ways to break windows. But like... well....

Forget it. I applaud your insane creativity. Like that's such a good test case that I can only tip my hat to it.

Have you considered a carrier in software testing? :)

Reactions: DorcasAurelia

DanglyBang

May 10, 2018
Why would you use anything but alphanumeric characters in file names anyway? That's just...

I mean, as a professional software developer I applaud your ability to deliberately find the most imaginative possible ways to break windows. But like... well....

Forget it. I applaud your insane creativity. Like that's such a good test case that I can only tip my hat to it.

I know a few alt-codes in the back of my brain so I gathered why not use a checkmark in the folder name to basically visually tag which games I put into my signature list. Windows doesn't ban the checkmark character like it does slashes and : and | and ? in file naming, so I gathered it shouldn't be a problem. I just didn't expect the machine spirit of Windows 10 or Ren'Py would have such great PTSD at the sight of it probably reminding it of its school days. Alas.

DanglyBang b
Why not disable the check box in windows 10? or are you using a Tablet?
I don't know what you mean, it's the ASCII checkmark character in the folder name which is the problem.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
I know a few alt-codes in the back of my brain so I gathered why not use a checkmark in the folder name to basically visually tag which games I put into my signature list. Windows doesn't ban the checkmark character like it does slashes and : and | and ? in file naming, so I gathered it shouldn't be a problem. I just didn't expect the machine spirit of Windows 10 or Ren'Py would have such great PTSD at the sight of it probably reminding it of its school days. Alas.

I don't know what you mean, it's the ASCII checkmark character in the folder name which is the problem.
Well, Windows can display Unicode but doesn't work with it so it uses a different internal name than display name. This might cause some problems, similar ones are known for actual language signs, like Japanese characters on a non Japanese computer.

It's your best bet to go with 7 bit ASCII (still almost 96 signs to choose from - first 32 are non usable, some are used by Windows itself). 8 bit ASCII should be fine in most cases, too. Beyond that - wouldn't try it. And the checkmark isn't part of either if you mean what I think you mean (can't really see anything in the picture, the joys of getting old include "brownish red on brownish orange is indecipherable").

Reactions: DanglyBang

QQP_Purple

Dec 11, 2020
You know something else that's fun? Windows only allows file names (full path) to go up to 256 characters. So beware of long folder names and deep nesting.

DanglyBang

May 10, 2018
Well, Windows can display Unicode but doesn't work with it so it uses a different internal name than display name. This might cause some problems, similar ones are known for actual language signs, like Japanese characters on a non Japanese computer.

It's your best bet to go with 7 bit ASCII (still almost 96 signs to choose from - first 32 are non usable, some are used by Windows itself). 8 bit ASCII should be fine in most cases, too. Beyond that - wouldn't try it. And the checkmark isn't part of either if you mean what I think you mean (can't really see anything in the picture, the joys of getting old include "brownish red on brownish orange is indecipherable").
Thanks for info. Signature pic is me fucking with Stylus and styling web pages, that's why I linked to the post with game links and list in full.
God I hate Windows. Remember when you could change the font color on desktop icons and folders, and then they disabled it because, and this is an official nonsense statement, they found that "the default font color contrasts the best with some wallpapers hurrp durrp", when in reality they don't know how their own registry system works anymore at Microsoft and have basically turned into a parody of the 40k Mechanicus. Anyway, to slide away from off-topic, time to go back to fixing the orc waifu to be more assertive :BootyTime:.

zerdeca

Jun 15, 2017
You could customize the folder icon for each game as an alternative. I just checked and there's a few checkmark icons available by default but you could always add a custom one if none of the options are what you want.

Right click -> Properties -> Customize -> Change icon

Reactions: DanglyBang

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017

What's really fun is that Renpy shits the bed if you have a colon character anywhere in the path when you try to run it. That's an actual key on the keyboard, and is in the name of a number of games...

• Angry
Reactions: Dragon59

kvier

Apr 30, 2018
Ren'Py would have such great PTSD at the sight of it probably reminding it of its school days.
Ren'Py is python2, and python2 has Problems with unicode.
What's really fun is that Renpy shits the bed if you have a colon character anywhere in the path when you try to run it.
That's a Windows problem, not a ren'py problem.

Doesn't matter whose fault it is, if it still doesn't work.

Nov 10, 2017
been loading old saves and continued playing didn't know the new game had new animations and (sort of) interactions. NOICE

if only I wasn't some 3rd world fucker I'd be a patron.

Cierne

Jul 5, 2018
She was never going to be turned into a slave. She has a fetish for that kind of thing which was reflected in her dreams, and I expect we will get some less vanilla scenes with her later on, but come on dude; she wanted us to be gentle for her first time.
Eh don't think she's got a fetish for it, that seems to have been mostly low self-esteem, especially since she thought the people back home hated her.
Plus from what I remember Zanith says she's mostly just really horny, if you want slave stuff I think that's where Yona comes in.

4.70 star(s) 319 Votes