VN Ren'Py Completed A New Beginning [Ch. 1-12] [JJsworld]

3.00 star(s) 20 Votes

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Fun facts while we wait on the final edits for chapter 12, courtesy of yours truly, the coding assistance guy...

There are 2375 images in the images folder for the entire story. Which will include 500 new images for Chapter 12 and the Epilogue!

The final chapter and epilogue have over 4000 lines of code. There's a lot of dialogue in chapter 12, and a bit more in the epilogue, so you may want to plan accordingly, i.e. a comfy chair, nice cuppa jo, snacks, etc. when it finally drops...

And, soon this VN will finally have a completed tag! It's been a long road! Once upon a time, on August 8th, 2020...
:sneaky:

JJsworld

Game Developer
Jun 17, 2018
Yes... OhWee has took this story of mine to greater heights than I could have ever ... It is because of him, that a lot of things are being seen. I sure don't have the level of intellect in Renpy, that he has. He has been with me since the start of this project, and guided me through. He also pointed out a lot of things that was missing, that I had to go back and fill in. So I could honestly say, without him I couldn't have done this...

As he has stated the finalization should take place today or tomorrow.
I think everyone should be happy with this. Expect the unexpected as my daddy used to say...

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
DavidCF

Just a quick note. You've been credited for the list of typos that you compiled for A New Beginning. I know that this was a while ago, but your list is still helpful!

It was very helpful in spotting a number of the Chapter 12 typos, and I suggested using it to check previous chapters, when JJsworld is able to get around to re-doing those.

Everyone,

Just a quick note that there may be a 'typo fix' patch at some point in the future. Not sure when, and it won't hold up Chapter 12 (which has been proofread extensively at this point), but yeah...

I'm still just the coding guy, but I did spend some time this morning looking for typos and such. Chapter 12 is the 'final' chapter (well Chapter 12 + the Epilogue technically), so we want to make a good last impression!
;)

• Love
Reactions: zargoth99

Lacyann

May 29, 2020
With you continuing to create wonderful stories for us i would suggest to set up a Discord if anything else a place for us to see how things are going through progress reports to just hanging out. Also to leave any problems that might have arose

Reactions: shamtiiomi

JJsworld

Game Developer
Jun 17, 2018
I will see about a discord... I have a web page,
Not even sure how to set it up yet, but hey. It was free...

Reactions: Lacyann

DavidCF

Aug 10, 2020
DavidCF

Just a quick note. You've been credited for the list of typos that you compiled for A New Beginning. I know that this was a while ago, but your list is still helpful!

It was very helpful in spotting a number of the Chapter 12 typos, and I suggested using it to check previous chapters, when JJsworld is able to get around to re-doing those.

Everyone,

Just a quick note that there may be a 'typo fix' patch at some point in the future. Not sure when, and it won't hold up Chapter 12 (which has been proofread extensively at this point), but yeah...

I'm still just the coding guy, but I did spend some time this morning looking for typos and such. Chapter 12 is the 'final' chapter (well Chapter 12 + the Epilogue technically), so we want to make a good last impression!
;)
Hi,
Quick question.
Are you using US or UK spelling?
I have a way of checking for all spelling errors as you only have one script file so can make a full list if there are any
or patch if you want.
Please let me know.
Thanks.
David

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Hi,
Quick question.
Are you using US or UK spelling?
I have a way of checking for all spelling errors as you only have one script file so can make a full list if there are any
or patch if you want.
Please let me know.
Thanks.
David
I just found a spell checker for Notepad++ earlier today (Notepad2 doesn't have one) and have run all of the chapters through it to spot the misspellings. I may still have missed a couple of things here and there, but it's pretty much covered at this point. I also made a 'cheat sheet' for JJsworld with common misspellings. That won't help the current project much at this point (all fixed now) but for his next project it might help.

I downloaded Atom, but it annoys me. I prefer mean and lean, and Notepad++ is that. Not as lean as Notepad 2, but it works just as well.

I went back and forth on the UK vs. US thing, and kept a few of the UK spellings (armour being an example). I also kept some of the slang, but corrected the spellings (fixin' instead of fixen as an example).

Anyways, once the final chapter drops (shortly), feel free to point out anything you spot, so that we can correct any 'stragglers'.

DavidCF

Aug 10, 2020
I just found a spell checker for Notepad++ earlier today (Notepad2 doesn't have one) and have run all of the chapters through it to spot the misspellings. I may still have missed a couple of things here and there, but it's pretty much covered at this point. I also made a 'cheat sheet' for JJsworld with common misspellings. That won't help the current project much at this point (all fixed now) but for his next project it might help.

I downloaded Atom, but it annoys me. I prefer mean and lean, and Notepad++ is that. Not as lean as Notepad 2, but it works just as well.

I went back and forth on the UK vs. US thing, and kept a few of the UK spellings (armour being an example). I also kept some of the slang, but corrected the spellings (fixin' instead of fixen as an example).

Anyways, once the final chapter drops (shortly), feel free to point out anything you spot, so that we can correct any 'stragglers'.
Hi,
Did you use the following?
If you do what is shown in the screenshot and then paste into a new file you will get a list of all errors so you cannot miss any and you can then decide on what to change and what not..
Just noticed there are two VNs called A New Beginning that will cause confusion.

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I tried it, but initially it wouldn't paste to clipboard. Once I figured out the issues, I 'forgot' about that functionality, as I was in the groove, Mostly just scrolling and watching for the red squigglies... and occasionally doing search and replace to check all instances of, say, OK. I also spelled out a few of the numbers (not all of them) when I spotted these, depending on the context.

My main focus was to fix the 'glaring' errors, but yeah I ended up doing a lot of corrections across the 12 chapters (plus intro and epilogue). All done now, JJsworld will go through it again, as will I once my eyes return to normal...

So we are mostly good for now. I'm sure a few minor typos will slip through the cracks, but it's a lot better than it was. Not picking on JJsworld, there is a LOT of code, so it's easy to miss things when you are coding. The Notepad++ spell check will be useful to me when I get back to work on FmF, so good things came out of this! I'll run the FmF scripts through the spell check at some point before the Director's Cut is finished, but that's not really relevant to this thread.

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Changelog for the Chapter 1-12 version:

------------------------

Date: 3/22/22​
The story is now complete.​
- The Final Chapters (12) and the Epilogue have been added to the story. Over 500 new pictures, over 4000 lines of new code. 1.25GB for the entire package. Add-on patch for those that downloaded Chapters 1-11 previously is 252MB.​
- Typos and such for previous chapters have for the most part now been corrected, but there is no need to re-read the previous chapters unless you'd like to 'refresh your memory' r.e. the story.​
- It is recommended to not using existing saves, due to the introduction of a new nickname variable at the beginning, which is used in most of the chapters. Use the 'chapter skip' feature as this is still a Visual/Kinetic Novel with a linear storyline, not a game.​
- Upon starting a new session, you will be asked if you are a new reader. If you've read the previous chapters, choose "No".​
- Then you will be asked to choose a name and a nickname. Defaults for these are 'Brian' and 'B' but choose what you like.​
- Once you've chosen your name and nickname, you will be asked which chapter you'd like to skip to. This update begins at Chapter 12.​
- The 'Patch' version is for people that have previously downloaded the Chapter 1-11 version. if you have that, just download the patch. Instructions for installation are in the patch, short form, open up your ANewBeginningCh1-11v1.0-pc folder, and drage/merge the /game folder from the patch .7zip into your ANewBeginning folder, merging /game with /game. You will be asked to overwrite a few files (chapter.rpy files, script.rpy, screens.rpy, options.rpy), this is normal behavior.​
- No Android, Mac or Linux versions YET... hopefully the usual folk can help with this.​
- Credit to OhWee for Ren'Py coding and editing assistance, and also to JohnnyMonroe, zp560, and DavidCF for their proofreading assistance with various chapters of A New Beginning.​
-------------------------

Not much else to say. Congrats to JJsworld for getting this rather long visual novel across the finish line!
:D:cool:(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

For new readers, keep in mind that this is JJsworld 's first VN, so the early chapters are not as polished as later chapters, as his writing style has improved over time (between August of 2020 and March of 2022). The story remains more or less consistent throughout, so if you like stories about a hitman who is building a harem...
:p

And, as has been stated multiple times in this thread (for those that may wish to write a new review):

This story is a Visual Novel/Kinetic Novel with a linear storyline, NOT A GAME!!!

seamanq , others.
It's finally done!
YAY!!!!!

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

No compressed versions of these as of yet. Hopefully there will be a compressed version soon.

BTW, useless trivia from the Lint checker...

Statistics:​
The game contains 15,895 dialogue blocks, containing 117,758 words and 573,731​
characters, for an average of 7.4 words and 36 characters per block.​

BTW, there will be a code patch for Chapters 1-12. Looks like a couple of things sneaked by... apologies! These aren't VN-breaking, but will be fixed soon nonetheless. I just PMed JJsworld about this.

Links should be up soon. I just handed off the codefixed versions of the full download and the Chapter 11 to 12 addon patch for those of you that already have Chapter 11 to JJsworld . I also compiled a Mac version, but we have no way to test that one. Feedback from Mac users would be appreciated. Linux users should be able to start using the .sh file, again we have no way to test this.

Last edited:

JJsworld

Game Developer
Jun 17, 2018
OhWee has worked his ASS of today, everyone... We now have made sure that the updates are good and working. Well except the Mac versions. Neither of us has a Mac to test it... I hope everyone enjoys the fruits of our labors... There is also a few credits at the end of the game for some participation in the script and screening process...

The BIGGEST goes to OhWee !!!

• Red Heart
Reactions: zargoth99

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
OhWee has worked his ASS off today, everyone... We now have made sure that the updates are good and working. Well except the Mac versions. Neither of us has a Mac to test it... I hope everyone enjoys the fruits of our labors... There is also a few credits at the end of the game for some participation in the script and screening process...

The BIGGEST goes to OhWee !!!
Naaah, it goes to you! My job was easy compared to the 2375+ pics you rendered for this thing! And the over 15000 lines of dialogue! I still need to learn to be more patient when working with code...

Thanks for the kudos though!

Maybe the next one should be a little shorter though? Sure, other games have more pics, but they also have a team doing all of those renders!

Mac users,
As soon as the mirrors are up, kindly let us know if everything is working OK. I used the RenPy Mac distribution thing, and this is pretty simple so it should work fine, but still we'd like to know!

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I don't know whether to be happy that there's a new chapter or sad it's finished
It's a long ass Chapter 12 (well Chapter + Epilogue) so console yourself in the fact that it's longer than the last few updates. It'll take a bit to read the rest of the story.

I'm sure JJsworld has something else planned in the future, if you liked this story and are looking forward to more!
;)

Reactions: JJsworld

Lacyann

May 29, 2020
I would like to congrats on a final to this VN it was fantastic and not disappointing. Nice way to have History repeat itself. At least he can retire now and enjoy the many fruits of his girls. I am sad though i wanted see a bitch fight happen with Journey and Dianne. Looking forward to seeing what you might create in the future

Reactions: OhWee
3.00 star(s) 20 Votes