Gato21

Oct 16, 2021
Not like you need me to back you but I've heard stories like this since I was a kid, finding real evidence is hard and all that survives at this point is word of mouth so it's hard to differentiate from myth but considering what we know priests get up to it's not hard to believe.
Do you know if they were cloistered or not? If not they could have been attending to the orphaned or sick. Child mortality was insanely high back in the day. If cloistered, yeah they're probably doin' the deed.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: TheGrandMasterCory

supernova25

Dec 21, 2017
with the game getting bigger and bigger isn't it a good time to make a batter Walkthrough or why not a wiki with info about the npcs and their location and what route possible for them . idk what the future hold for this game but we are at a point where we can at least create a wiki i hope :unsure:

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
Do you know if they were cloistered or not? If not they could have been attending to the orphaned or sick. Child mortality was insanely high back in the day. If cloistered, yeah they're probably doin' the deed.
The corpses were found in tunnels connecting the abbey of the males and the females... something that wasn't documented in the ground plan and denied by the responsible people.

with the game getting bigger and bigger isn't it a good time to make a batter Walkthrough or why not a wiki with info about the npcs and their location and what route possible for them . idk what the future hold for this game but we are at a point where we can at least create a wiki i hope :unsure:
If only people had thought about that :rolleyes:
Yeah they did and there are links in the OP

zARRR

Forum Fanatic
Nov 6, 2020
If only people had thought about that :rolleyes:
Yeah they did and there are links in the OP
Reading was never an option and so contributing to the wiki.
Although for some miraheze actions now only the owner can modify it, aka me, so send the info to me pm peopleee
That’s why MC is doing god’s work, pumping up the birth rates to fight child mortality

Last edited:

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
That’s why MC is doing god’s work, pumping up the birth rates to fight child mortality
I thought he did his public duty by following the Kings law of repopulating the country after his war with his brother killed most of the males? :devilish:

• Haha
Reactions: zARRR

zARRR

Forum Fanatic
Nov 6, 2020
Huh, so I did a little digging cause this topic is super interesting to me.

And funnily enough, although there was a mass baby grave found in a care home run by nuns in Ireland ( ), the tales of secret tunnels/passageways between monasteries and nunneries are widely considered to be ahistorical myths ( ).

The original source of these myths seem to be from a book called Awful Discourses of Maria Monk. But after numerous investigations, it turns out that Maria Monk had completely fabricated her entire story ( ).

Super interesting stuff.

Now although such secret tunnels and passageways don't seem to have existed underneath real monasteries and real convents, it'd be a pretty neat concept to explore in A Struggle with Sin.

We already see something like it coming into play with the underground cult beneath Rick's house.
Although that case is fairly recent and didn’t happen during medieval or modern times.

Also you forgot the most famous passage of them all, the one in Giron’s house.
Even Thomas’ inn could count but still

• Thinking Face
Reactions: TheGrandMasterCory

Overlord070

Jan 21, 2021
I've always heard they were dumped in secret tunnels or rooms.
If you google this there was an infamous case in Ireland IIRC.

May 26, 2019
Well all I can tell you that they actually found some of these Catacombs where I live... sure it's not a common occurence, but it happened... though there is no real prooof that those children/infants were born by the nuns it is known that it wasn't a holy graveyard for children or stuff... it's the most reasonable assumption so it sticks.
:unsure: :unsure:

Hmm, fair enough!

But catacombs (which are literally underground graveyards) aren't the same thing as "secret tunnels/passageways" supposedly connecting monasteries to nunneries.

Also, when you take into account that these catacombs were probably built and used during a time period where (1) most regular people had little else to do but have sex, (2) contraceptives and protection weren't widely available or probably didn't even exist, (3) having children out-of-wedlock was very stigmatized and heavily frowned-upon, and (4) child mortality was incredibly high, you realize that there could be other, more rational explanations for the many child-corpses found in these catacombs (aka underground graveyards) than priests clandestinely impregnating nuns.

1684602771698.png

Also, this is my last post regarding this topic because I've already derailed this thread enough with this stuff.

Thanks for the interesting brain food though.

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
Hmm, fair enough!

But catacombs (which are literally underground graveyards) aren't the same thing as "secret tunnels/passageways" supposedly connecting monasteries to nunneries.
...Ok let's be completly accurate here... they are tunnels where they found skeletons embedded in the walls at some places they even masoned those tunnels with skeletons.
The design of those tunnels aren't matched by any other catacomb known in christian areas, but with that many corpses you'd even calll a tunnel a catacomb I am sure.
Also, when you take into account that these catacombs were probably built and used during a time period where (1) most regular people had little else to do but have sex, (2) contraceptives and protection weren't widely available or probably didn't even exist, (3) having children out-of-wedlock was very stigmatized and heavily frowned-upon, and (4) child mortality was incredibly high, you realize that there could be other, more rational explanations for the many child-corpses found in these catacombs (aka underground graveyards) than priests clandestinely impregnating nuns.
Again they were found in areas restricted to the public and well enough hidden that they likely were only known to a small number of people in the monastery or nunnary or what ever they were found at.
These aren't places you bury anyone unless you want them hidden or forgotten.
They were Catolic places so neither priests/monks nor nuns were even allowed adultery... children born out of wedlock was the smallest of their issue.
Yes we are speaking about the dark age... time of inquisitions, witch burnings and crusades... ever saw "The name of the Rose"?

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
If i do remember right, only the final update will come to us, mortals. So update will come every two months. This information need be checked yet.
Updates come every month... though if one is leaked nd the followup not it's 2 month indeed

C.M.Cas

Shameless Dev
Game Developer
Mar 18, 2018
Updates come every month... though if one is leaked nd the followup not it's 2 month indeed
I know it's every month, but, to what i read, it will change here. The test update will not come to us anymore, cause ppl say shit even knowing it's a test update. That's what i read. But again, this information need be checked.

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
I know it's every month, but, to what i read, it will change here. The test update will not come to us anymore, cause ppl say shit even knowing it's a test update. That's what i read. But again, this information need be checked.
Test Updates are mid month Updates, Chyos makes 2 releases each month the public only gets one though

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
I mean if people would actually pay attention and do it the correct way even this build could be leaked... I am not saying to beg and cry... read the Forum rules if you don't know what I am talking about... spamming in a game thread is the wrong way though

zARRR

Forum Fanatic
Nov 6, 2020
Yes we are speaking about the dark age... time of inquisitions, witch burnings and crusades... ever saw "The name of the Rose"?
But the medieval ages weren’t that bad, the inquisition joins late and so witch burnings, they had many more pyres during the 17th century!
And the movie is more spectacular than the book, even if Sean Connery is badass.

Now observe ASWS, it either takes inspiration on late medieval era or a confused mixed idea of both classic fantasy and the medieval era.
Arenfield has three libraries, one enormous, and they aren’t printed books, but manuscripts. Manuscripts!
Those literature works take time, handwork, money and herds.
They could have slaughtered an entire herd of sheep just for the parchment for one codex.
And Lucius sells that shit for nothing, so there must be a form of organized mass production of parchment.
I lost my point somewhere but that nitpick bothers me and it’s a point, that in the end the game is a game, fantasy/medieval inspired, but that’s it.

Overlord070

Jan 21, 2021
I mean if people would actually pay attention and do it the correct way even this build could be leaked... I am not saying to beg and cry... read the Forum rules if you don't know what I am talking about... spamming in a game thread is the wrong way though
You mean spamming things such as "wHeRe's tHe nEw bUiLd?!?!" or "GIVE NEW UPDATE!" doesn't work?!

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
But the medieval ages weren’t that bad, the inquisition joins late and so witch burnings, they had many more pyres during the 17th century!
And the movie is more spectacular than the book, even if Sean Connery is badass.

Now observe ASWS, it either takes inspiration on late medieval era or a confused mixed idea of both classic fantasy and the medieval era.
Arenfield has three libraries, one enormous, and they aren’t printed books, but manuscripts. Manuscripts!
Those literature works take time, handwork, money and herds.
They could have slaughtered an entire herd of sheep just for the parchment for one codex.
And Lucius sells that shit for nothing, so there must be a form of organized mass production of parchment.
I lost my point somewhere but that nitpick bothers me and it’s a point, that in the end the game is a game, fantasy/medieval inspired, but that’s it.
I mean there are different qualities of pergament... this one looks REALLY bad... probably reused even... and based on the prices of different Items in the game it's not THAT cheap

• Thinking Face
Reactions: zARRR

zARRR

Forum Fanatic
Nov 6, 2020
I mean there are different qualities of pergament... this one looks REALLY bad... probably reused even... and based on the prices of different Items in the game it's not THAT cheap
Mmmmh good point some parchment were reused, and there is also the vegetal kind.
St Joseph monastery is going to be full of scribes, I bet all of my parchments

4.50 star(s) 139 Votes