Hedonax

Feb 17, 2018
The level scaling in this is deeply obnoxious. From reading, it appears it's limited, but still...

At like, L2-3 I was able to take down all three groups of orcs that spawned at the hunting area for an orc scouting party (5 total), yet at L7, I will basically always lose to 2 orcs, and even occasionally to 1. Similarly, I could comfortably take down a wolf back then, but now a single wolf kills me about 50% of the time. Sure, I haven't improved my equipment much (I just learned sewing), but I did buy the old leather armor at the shop, so not only have I leveled up like 5 times since, but I have (slightly) better equipment, and I'm still getting destroyed by things I used to have no trouble with.

I'm actually being punished for spending my time improving my character. I don't even. Who thinks this kind of design is a good idea? Sure, if I had better equipment, I might be better off against them, but I can't do everything all at once, and at this point, it's hard to do anything that risks combat, making it much harder to make money anyway.

I'm going to try to push through, but I really just don't understand. If it's about leveling up and ensuring access to more experience, then just have a flatter xp curve. The last couple hours of play have been increasingly miserable because of this, and if I hadn't read comments saying it's capped, I'd have dropped the game entirely, despite how much I've otherwise liked it.

Reactions: Tehemai

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
The level scaling in this is deeply obnoxious. From reading, it appears it's limited, but still...

At like, L2-3 I was able to take down all three groups of orcs that spawned at the hunting area for an orc scouting party (5 total), yet at L7, I will basically always lose to 2 orcs, and even occasionally to 1. Similarly, I could comfortably take down a wolf back then, but now a single wolf kills me about 50% of the time. Sure, I haven't improved my equipment much (I just learned sewing), but I did buy the old leather armor at the shop, so not only have I leveled up like 5 times since, but I have (slightly) better equipment, and I'm still getting destroyed by things I used to have no trouble with.

I'm actually being punished for spending my time improving my character. I don't even. Who thinks this kind of design is a good idea? Sure, if I had better equipment, I might be better off against them, but I can't do everything all at once, and at this point, it's hard to do anything that risks combat, making it much harder to make money anyway.

I'm going to try to push through, but I really just don't understand. If it's about leveling up and ensuring access to more experience, then just have a flatter xp curve. The last couple hours of play have been increasingly miserable because of this, and if I hadn't read comments saying it's capped, I'd have dropped the game entirely, despite how much I've otherwise liked it.
The Orcs at the hunting ground are scouts, the ones in the wilderness are a combination of a scout and a brute (Upgraded version), if you don't get yourself some help via Tia I would suggest aiming for the bandits east and north of Arenfield rather than the deeper woods north west of Arenfiled.
There were never Wolfpacks in the game only single wolfes though

Reactions: Samuel Hidayat

zARRR

Forum Fanatic
Nov 6, 2020

But did you unlock the best companion and tank Tia?
Didn’t have much problems tho, the hunting grounds are easy.
And btw did you spend talent points?

Tho Xp, talents and level scaling is going to be reworked in the rework and balance update

Hedonax

Feb 17, 2018
The Orcs at the hunting ground are scouts, the ones in the wilderness are a combination of a scout and a brute (Upgraded version), if you don't get yourself some help via Tia I would suggest aiming for the bandits east and north of Arenfield rather than the deeper woods north west of Arenfiled.
There were never Wolfpacks in the game only single wolfes though
I'm only really talking about the scouts, though the same problem applies to the brutes and that. I used to be able to take those down a good chunk of the time, now they kill me 100% of the time. Don't even get me started on how one of the first places the game directed me to was the L34 bandits South of Arenfield.

But did you unlock the best companion and tank Tia?
Didn’t have much problems tho, the hunting grounds are easy.
And btw did you spend talent points?

Tho Xp, talents and level scaling is going to be reworked in the rework and balance update
No, and I also haven't figured out how I am supposed to progress her. I know it has something to do with the holy water, obviously, but I don't get options. I thought maybe wine would do it. At this point, maybe I'll try masturbating beside it, but other than that, I'm out of ideas... and that would be weird anyway, since nothing else in the game has worked like that before.

Yes, I spent my talent points.

zARRR

Forum Fanatic
Nov 6, 2020
I'm only really talking about the scouts, though the same problem applies to the brutes and that. I used to be able to take those down a good chunk of the time, now they kill me 100% of the time. Don't even get me started on how one of the first places the game directed me to was the L34 bandits South of Arenfield.

No, and I also haven't figured out how I am supposed to progress her. I know it has something to do with the holy water, obviously, but I don't get options. I thought maybe wine would do it. At this point, maybe I'll try masturbating beside it, but other than that, I'm out of ideas... and that would be weird anyway, since nothing else in the game has worked like that before.

Yes, I spent my talent points.
No, Tia has nothing to do with Holy water, did you confuse with Natasha?

After talking with Emily to search for logs, talk to Tia and learn how to cut logs every day and talk about her passions, family and stuff, then when you hit a dead point as the game suggest go check Rick tell her about Tia, then return cutting and you should unlock her.
If you ever feel stuck use the walkthrough, wiki or search bar.

Edit: ok, not the wiki for now, it seems I have to contact the administrators of metaheze because they have changed the wiki with the old wiki

Last edited:

Hedonax

Feb 17, 2018
No, Tia has nothing to do with Holy water, did you confuse with Natasha?

After talking with Emily to search for logs, talk to Tia and learn how to cut logs every day and talk about her passions, family and stuff, then when you hit a dead point as the game suggest go check Rick tell her about Tia, then return cutting and you should unlock her.
If you ever feel stuck use the walkthrough, wiki or search bar.

Edit: ok, not the wiki for now, it seems I have to contact the administrators of metaheze because they have changed the wiki with the old wiki
Yes, yes I did. I got to the dead end with Tia, but couldn't figure out who to talk with about her. I'd already talked to Rick about her, and I got no sense he'd know anything, nor any reason to think his dialogue would change now. The older members of the community didn't have any dialogue options for her, which are who I assumed would be the people likely to have more info on her past.

I assume getting Tia to go with you also is how you're intended to push the tree over to get into the bandit camp, but I couldn't get to join, so I just brute forced it.

zARRR

Forum Fanatic
Nov 6, 2020
Yes, yes I did. I got to the dead end with Tia, but couldn't figure out who to talk with about her. I'd already talked to Rick about her, and I got no sense he'd know anything, nor any reason to think his dialogue would change now. The older members of the community didn't have any dialogue options for her, which are who I assumed would be the people likely to have more info on her past.

I assume getting Tia to go with you also is how you're intended to push the tree over to get into the bandit camp, but I couldn't get to join, so I just brute forced it.
But to progress you need to talk with Rick, after reaching the dead end, ask Rick about her, he reveals the stuff, then return to talk to Tia

Hedonax

Feb 17, 2018
But to progress you need to talk with Rick, after reaching the dead end, ask Rick about her, he reveals the stuff, then return to talk to Tia
Yes, I understood that from your prior comment.

My problem is that makes no sense whatsoever. I'd have had to hit "brute force every possible interaction" to discover that, unless, maybe, I had already progressed Tia to that point before ever talking to Rick about the girls.

zARRR

Forum Fanatic
Nov 6, 2020
Yes, I understood that from your prior comment.

My problem is that makes no sense whatsoever. I'd have had to hit "brute force every possible interaction" to discover that, unless, maybe, I had already progressed Tia to that point before ever talking to Rick about the girls.
It doesn’t make sense for you, no one for now thought that Tia’s recruitment was unreasonable, the grinding argument is more understandable but this? Nah.
In the dialogue with Tia you choose what is the least delicate argument at beginning with, then slowly build up, then you go do an investigation into understanding what’s happening.
And from Rick you gain informations from all different women, the game expects you to experiment, wander around, it gives you some hints (3 or 2 are more cryptic than others) but for the rest you have to use your logic of the surroundings and informations.

Solak

Nov 22, 2017
I honestly have to agree that the Rick part was very obscure. I myself completely forgot I had to do that in my last playthrough and was left confused as to how to proceed. Honestly think Chyos should add a quick mental thought like "maybe Rick has heard something about her past". As of right now, sure the players should experiment, but I had already talked to Rick about all the girls. Nothing came out of it. Why would I go back and talk to him again after an arbitrary point during Tia's quest?

For the tree trunk though, both are possible options. You're not forced to have Tia to save Emily and that's good. It helps to have her but she's ultimately not essential there.

Reactions: Tonkin

Hedonax

Feb 17, 2018
It doesn’t make sense for you, no one for now thought that Tia’s recruitment was unreasonable, the grinding argument is more understandable but this? Nah.
In the dialogue with Tia you choose what is the least delicate argument at beginning with, then slowly build up, then you go do an investigation into understanding what’s happening.
And from Rick you gain informations from all different women, the game expects you to experiment, wander around, it gives you some hints (3 or 2 are more cryptic than others) but for the rest you have to use your logic of the surroundings and informations.
Yeah, except the info Rick gives is completely irrelevant blather, so the game has provided no reason to expect he's a source of useful information, nor does it make sense that he'd have special knowledge of Tia's backstory.

I honestly have to agree that the Rick part was very obscure. I myself completely forgot I had to do that in my last playthrough and was left confused as to how to proceed. Honestly think Chyos should add a quick mental thought like "maybe Rick has heard something about her past". As of right now, sure the players should experiment, but I had already talked to Rick about all the girls. Nothing came out of it. Why would I go back and talk to him again after an arbitrary point during Tia's quest?

For the tree trunk though, both are possible options. You're not forced to have Tia to save Emily and that's good. It helps to have her but she's ultimately not essential there.
Honestly, even this bothered me, but from a more metagamey angle. I would prefer to have had Tia join me just from personal preference, but also, I didn't get Emily captured, because I could take out the bandits the first few times they showed up, and I just stopped sleeping at Emily's after a while when they got harder (due to bs level scaling), because I knew that was going to trigger whenever I did, and it was annoying to fight them even when it wasn't going to kill me. The metagamey issue, is I wondered if there were benefits to letting Emily get captured, whether in sex scenes, or in improving your relationship with her. Especially since I hit 10, and she stopped progressing by any means available to me.

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
It is what it is. Things have to happen in order to see the single stories/quests move forward. Let them happen and if you don't know what you're supposed to make happen Mr SpongeWalkthrough will tell you.

zARRR

Forum Fanatic
Nov 6, 2020
Yeah, except the info Rick gives is completely irrelevant blather, so the game has provided no reason to expect he's a source of useful information, nor does it make sense that he'd have special knowledge of Tia's backstory.

Honestly, even this bothered me, but from a more metagamey angle. I would prefer to have had Tia join me just from personal preference, but also, I didn't get Emily captured, because I could take out the bandits the first few times they showed up, and I just stopped sleeping at Emily's after a while when they got harder (due to bs level scaling), because I knew that was going to trigger whenever I did, and it was annoying to fight them even when it wasn't going to kill me. The metagamey issue, is I wondered if there were benefits to letting Emily get captured, whether in sex scenes, or in improving your relationship with her. Especially since I hit 10, and she stopped progressing by any means available to me.
Whaddya mean he gives information, sure from an unreliable source but at the same time gives some knowledge that is shared like Tia background.

Yeah Emily’s quest was also pointed out, it’s in the list pf rework things in that mentioned update

Solak

Nov 22, 2017
Honestly, even this bothered me, but from a more metagamey angle. I would prefer to have had Tia join me just from personal preference, but also, I didn't get Emily captured, because I could take out the bandits the first few times they showed up, and I just stopped sleeping at Emily's after a while when they got harder (due to bs level scaling), because I knew that was going to trigger whenever I did, and it was annoying to fight them even when it wasn't going to kill me.
Okay, that one is on you. A certain event keeps happening, the exact same one, the exact same way, again and again and again and again. Yet you keep choosing the exact same options, leading to the same outcome. Instead of trying out the other options to get a different outcome, you persist in doing the same thing over and over again, then complain that things don't progress.

Insert definition of insanity.

All you need to do at that point is not rush them the moment they break into the house and instead wait for a "better opportunity". That's it. Emily will wake up to check up the noise, be captured and voila.

Hedonax

Feb 17, 2018
Okay, that one is on you. A certain event keeps happening, the exact same one, the exact same way, again and again and again and again. Yet you keep choosing the exact same options, leading to the same outcome. Instead of trying out the other options to get a different outcome, you persist in doing the same thing over and over again, then complain that things don't progress.

Insert definition of insanity.

All you need to do at that point is not rush them the moment they break into the house and instead wait for a "better opportunity". That's it. Emily will wake up to check up the noise, be captured and voila.
Mate, I made the choice I wanted to, that wasn't even what I was complaining about, and I clearly know what the outcome is of not going after the bandits, as otherwise my comments expressing a specific knowledge of the outcome of that choice would make zero sense.

If you don't understand what someone is saying, don't twist it into an excuse to insult them.

Solak

Nov 22, 2017
Mate, I made the choice I wanted to, that wasn't even what I was complaining about, and I clearly know what the outcome is of not going after the bandits, as otherwise my comments expressing a specific knowledge of the outcome of that choice would make zero sense.

If you don't understand what someone is saying, don't twist it into an excuse to insult them.
" I didn't get Emily captured, because I could take out the bandits the first few times they showed up, and I just stopped sleeping at Emily's after a while when they got harder "

You literally said Emily didn't get captured and that you even stopped triggering the event. Meaning you locked yourself out of the event. Then you complained that you couldn't progress with her and started wondering whether that event might be related.

If to you, that is metagamey, then every game will be. Having to randomly talk to your friend is one thing, not testing out different options of a new event that pops up the moment you're prevented from advancing to the next step is another. Worse, you're complaining that you hit 10 and couldn't progress anymore, so you used metagame to complain about metagame. Talk all you like, you were simply frustrated at having lost time defeating the bandits over and over again in what felt like a very tedious, repetitive event... then realising that you had simply failed to consider that maybe trying out a different option was the key to progressing to the next step.

Obviously, that made you feel dumb, which is why you accused me of insulting you. I hadn't insulted you. The definition of insanity was more of a meme. What happened is you felt so dumb back then that you immediately jumped to the conclusion that this was what I was implying and ran with it. All I did was point out and explain why that particular criticism of yours was invalid. If you choose to take that as an insult to your intelligence, be my guest. But your words, not mine.

Oh and I do know that you made it past it, that much was obvious, thank you. But if you struggled, maybe others did too. That last part was for them, not you. But now, I'm done if you are going to immediately jump on the defensive that way. I'm tired of having to walk on eggshells with people who can't tolerate having their flaws or mistakes pointed out to them. We need that to grow and improve. Acknowledge your weaknesses so you can work on them and become ever greater.

Reactions: zARRR

Yotetar

May 23, 2020
Daaamn and it is only 4 of January.
Solak is right, it is simple, to continue emily story you need to let her be captured, save her, and let her be captured again one more time. After that you can progress on the bandit quest too.
Chill.

Solak

Nov 22, 2017
Daaamn and it is only 4 of January.
Solak is right, it is simple, to continue emily story you need to let her be captured, save her, and let her be captured again one more time. After that you can progress on the bandit quest too.
Chill.
Oh he did continue the story. He knows what to do now. His complaint wasn't phrased properly, but it was that you need to behave in a certain way to actually progress it. Wanna be the hero of the house and attack the intruders? Nope, you need to let them scour the house for a bit until Emily gets captured.

I can understand that criticism in a way. However, the "flaw" is in the medium. Emily should have logically bolted out of her room immediately, thinking it's MC. That would've "solved" everything. However, Chyos wanted to give the player the opportunity to prevent the capture from happening if they had other plans. Arbitrarily forcing the player's hand in a sandbox game to focus on a certain quest is generally a bad idea. With this choice, if the player just wanted to sleep for the night before continuing... I dunno, Tia's story... they can. "Oh, don't capture Emily tonight please, thank you."

4.60 star(s) 143 Votes