Solak

Nov 22, 2017
I'm aware obviously. But events tangentially related to food is not remotely the same thing. It's not actually tied to hunger level. At best they restore the pointless bar as a secondary effect. You can still however do them regardless of if you're hungry or stuffed. Which is why you can pretty much disable hunger right now and not remotely impact any of these events.

The examples I gave was like if you somehow faint from hunger and get resuscitated with a breastfeeding hj. Or you need to be completely starved so you can win a food eating contest. I was trying to come up with things that need the mechanic. But ultimately it is just not really necessary for almost any type of scene. It's purely a redundant chore system.

Like with the stink example, you can say "well you can bathe with x!". That doesn't really justify the system because you don't need that excuse to bathe with anyone. You can just do it cause you want to.
That is actually a fair point you've brought up. Hunger is mostly used in the beginning as an incentive for MC to get his bearings in his new life: a place to sleep, something to eat, a way to make ends meet... It achieves this by making it so if MC doesn't eat, he'll get a malus in combat. Given that MC sucks early game in battle, that's basically a death sentence unless you're well-fed. Past a certain point however, you've got 2 allies with you who can pick up your slack and carry your starving ass through battle.

However, having starvation pass days or force a game over could easily lead to unforeseen softlocks. It's always delicate to enact such drastic drawbacks (which is why MC doesn't stumble asleep on the floor when exhausted like a Sim would). So i don't think that'd be the way to go here.

Even the idea I got while reading those replies, I'm not certain it wouldn't risk softlocks. The idea being: if starved, can no longer use stamina actions (or they cost double or something like that). Because chopping down a tree or mining while starving would be a bit hard to do. You'd faint.

On the one hand, you could say "why worry about softlocks? You always have at least a bit of food lying aroudn in your inventory. A bit of anything and you're golden". But on the other hand, imagine an early game situation where you're starved and without anything to eat and no money. That'd mean you can't hunt, so you can't get food that way. You can't do chores either, like helping Claire at the kitchen. If Penny has had enough of you, tough luck there too. No way to make money either. You'd be completely softlocked, unless you somehow manage to defeat Tia's orc scout for instance.

That's why I'd say "double the cost of stamina actions", because you can always sleep for free. But I hope that showed how difficult (and annoying) it can be to design gameplay concepts. With all that said, what to do with the hunger system? Is it truly needed? I'd say it works as intended in early game. It's once you get past the early game that it loses all meaning, but it's not a system that you can suddenly revamp in the middle of a playthrough. Imagine the game telling you "from now on, starving will render you unable to perform actions that cost stamina". It's immersion breaking and very odd. The system needs to be the same from start to finish, the game can't change its rules in the middle of playthrough, that'd be unfair.

With all that said... What I CAN suggest is:
- the game not allowing the player to share a meal in Emily's household for instance if they're already well-fed enough
- some intensive labor could also be blocked while the rest would still be fine (solving the issue of being unable to hunt)
- a few slight dialogue changes to reflect MC's starving state (like Emily pointing out how MC is wolfing down his plate)
- since you mentioned lactation, no lactation play if well-fed... also if lactation + meal event, can only share the meal after sucking the teats if MC was starving at the start (otherwise he'll say he's not that hungry after all)

Would that give enough purpose to the mechanic?

zARRR

Forum Fanatic
Nov 6, 2020
That is actually a fair point you've brought up. Hunger is mostly used in the beginning as an incentive for MC to get his bearings in his new life: a place to sleep, something to eat, a way to make ends meet... It achieves this by making it so if MC doesn't eat, he'll get a malus in combat. Given that MC sucks early game in battle, that's basically a death sentence unless you're well-fed. Past a certain point however, you've got 2 allies with you who can pick up your slack and carry your starving ass through battle.

However, having starvation pass days or force a game over could easily lead to unforeseen softlocks. It's always delicate to enact such drastic drawbacks (which is why MC doesn't stumble asleep on the floor when exhausted like a Sim would). So i don't think that'd be the way to go here.

Even the idea I got while reading those replies, I'm not certain it wouldn't risk softlocks. The idea being: if starved, can no longer use stamina actions (or they cost double or something like that). Because chopping down a tree or mining while starving would be a bit hard to do. You'd faint.

On the one hand, you could say "why worry about softlocks? You always have at least a bit of food lying aroudn in your inventory. A bit of anything and you're golden". But on the other hand, imagine an early game situation where you're starved and without anything to eat and no money. That'd mean you can't hunt, so you can't get food that way. You can't do chores either, like helping Claire at the kitchen. If Penny has had enough of you, tough luck there too. No way to make money either. You'd be completely softlocked, unless you somehow manage to defeat Tia's orc scout for instance.

That's why I'd say "double the cost of stamina actions", because you can always sleep for free. But I hope that showed how difficult (and annoying) it can be to design gameplay concepts. With all that said, what to do with the hunger system? Is it truly needed? I'd say it works as intended in early game. It's once you get past the early game that it loses all meaning, but it's not a system that you can suddenly revamp in the middle of a playthrough. Imagine the game telling you "from now on, starving will render you unable to perform actions that cost stamina". It's immersion breaking and very odd. The system needs to be the same from start to finish, the game can't change its rules in the middle of playthrough, that'd be unfair.

- the game not allowing the player to share a meal in Emily's household for instance if they're already well-fed enough
- some intensive labor could also be blocked while the rest would still be fine (solving the issue of being unable to hunt)
- a few slight dialogue changes to reflect MC's starving state (like Emily pointing out how MC is wolfing down his plate)
- since you mentioned lactation, no lactation play if well-fed... also if lactation + meal event, can only share the meal after sucking the teats if MC was starving at the start (otherwise he'll say he's not that hungry after all)

I have another suggestion for the food matter, to give the food actual buffs and debuffs Tloz Botw style.
If starving in the late game becomes an easy matter then why not give to each aliment a status?
So let’s say you don’t want to chug down Emily’s dinner since it gives zero buffs but you instead want to devour special food you made or go to eat at the Queen’s table to receive a buff that will be over once starvation hits you.
For example your gourmet food gives you +10 % exp received, or you walk two times faster, or you regen faster.
This would also make the food you cooked actually useful, I am not eating the roasted carrots rabbit I cooked, that’s a valuable resource!
But if you give it a buff I may do it.
Maybe the food you can also get tired of the food you eat so after let’s 2 times you eat the same dinner you don’t get anymore buffs, so you go to eat somewhere else to get buffs.

Tehemai

Oct 9, 2017
[...]

I agree with your analysis, you essentially understood why I chose to just turn that system off. It only adds a negligeable motivational utility VERY early on. And the energy/sleep system already fills that role. The game then quickly makes that mechanic trivial, which turns it into but a small nuisance. Balancing is hard, which is why game design wise it's not advised to just throw in mechanics willy nilly simply for the sake of realism.

As for the solutions, I unfortunately do not think it really solves the issue. While it gives more purpose yes, I feel most of these points (1&2&4) only serve to add to the nuisance factor. Being arbitrarily locked out of events is never fun. I suppose you could say the same about energy, but generally games have to include some kind of limiter mechanic. The question is if this is only going to be a limiter, do we really need another? Does the game give the player too much freedom without it? Personally, I don't think so. It takes a long time before energy stops kicking your ass (6 or 10 con).

I like the dialogue aspect of your suggestion. But the only way I think this mechanic really works is if it has some sort of upside. That's why I thought of possibly lactation. I do think zARRs idea for different buffs could also be good start. But I'm still not entirely convinced this mechanic can be salvaged in this genre of game. Will definitely reserve judgments. But for now, it'll be turned off for me.

Edit: Upon further reflection, upping the nuisance factor with point 1&2&4 could be fine so long as whatever upside that gets included is rewarding enough. It would ultimately depend on how things are balanced. If the rewards are trivial, then the whole thing will only end up frustrating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Solak

Solak

Nov 22, 2017
I agree with your analysis, you essentially understood why I chose to just turn that system off. It only adds a negligeable motivational utility VERY early on. And the energy/sleep system already fills that role. The game then quickly makes that mechanic trivial, which turns it into but a small nuisance. Balancing is hard, which is why game design wise it's not advised to just throw in mechanics willy nilly simply for the sake of realism.

As for the solutions, I unfortunately do not think it really solves the issue. While it gives more purpose yes, I feel most of these points (1&2&4) only serve to add to the nuisance factor. Being arbitrarily locked out of events is never fun. I suppose you could say the same about energy, but generally games have to include some kind of limiter mechanic. The question is if this is only going to be a limiter, do we really need another? Does the game give the player too much freedom without it? Personally, I don't think so. It takes a long time before energy stops kicking your ass (6 or 10 con).

I like the dialogue aspect of your suggestion. But the only way I think this mechanic really works is if it has some sort of upside. That's why I thought of possibly lactation. I do think zARRs idea for different buffs could also be good start. But I'm still not entirely convinced this mechanic can be salvaged in this genre of game. Will definitely reserve judgments. But for now, it'll be turned off for me.

Edit: Upon further reflection, upping the nuisance factor with point 1&2&4 could be fine so long as whatever upside that gets included is rewarding enough. It would ultimately depend on how things are balanced. If the rewards are trivial, then the whole thing will only end up frustrating.
Agreed, without zARRR's added suggestion, it makes it only punishing, hardly ever rewarding. It would also give purpose to cooking, which atm has none except to advance Katherin's quest line at one point and that's it. Even for selling purposes, it's better to take the venison to Tomas and sell roasted rabbit meat instead.

Glad you liked the brain teasing. I for one liked the point you raised which aptly put the finger on why that system felt wrong for so long, then using it as a props to bounce new ideas off of. If we can't suck milk from teats IRL anymore, at least let us do it in game, dammit! :WutFace:

• Haha
Reactions: Tehemai and zARRR

zARRR

Forum Fanatic
Nov 6, 2020
Agreed, without zARRR's added suggestion, it makes it only punishing, hardly ever rewarding. It would also give purpose to cooking, which atm has none except to advance Katherin's quest line at one point and that's it. Even for selling purposes, it's better to take the venison to Tomas and sell roasted rabbit meat instead.

Glad you liked the brain teasing. I for one liked the point you raised which aptly put the finger on why that system felt wrong for so long, then using it as a props to bounce new ideas off of. If we can't suck milk from teats IRL anymore, at least let us do it in game, dammit! :WutFace:
Then zARRR suggestion should get more upvotes on discord!
Make hunger great again lmao

no one here

May 15, 2017
i have 20a for kate and cannot do any of this 6. At 20A you can go to your room with her (If you rented it from Thomas, you have to pay your bill first to do this, with a Key you can always enter the inn even at night) 7. At 20A you can tell Thomas to stop blackmailing Kate if you help her in the evening. (If you want to go into NTR with Kate read the NTR part below before doing this) 8. At 20A you can tell Rick that you are in a relationship with Kate when the two are talking outside the inn at 12pm

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
i have 20a for kate and cannot do any of this 6. At 20A you can go to your room with her (If you rented it from Thomas, you have to pay your bill first to do this, with a Key you can always enter the inn even at night) 7. At 20A you can tell Thomas to stop blackmailing Kate if you help her in the evening. (If you want to go into NTR with Kate read the NTR part below before doing this) 8. At 20A you can tell Rick that you are in a relationship with Kate when the two are talking outside the inn at 12pm
Spend an Evening in her room and talk to her, that should unlock these Options (Thomas Dialogue requires Kate to do the waitress minigame)

no one here

May 15, 2017
Spend an Evening in her room and talk to her, that should unlock these Options (Thomas Dialogue requires Kate to do the waitress minigame)
i have spent time in her room we kiss and cant continue because of the mum and for Thomas my character pays off the difference for what she missed no option to not do that

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
i have spent time in her room we kiss and cant continue because of the mum and for Thomas my character pays off the difference for what she missed no option to not do that
Rent a room from Thomas than after haveing sex with her you should be able to progress.
I wish there were more content for FRISHA. very little content for her. :(
Would there be anymore content for her? or is her story over?
I think she is labeled "side Character" so no real story to begin with, I would certainly love to see more content with her but aside of her actually starting a joined business with Verena I can't think of anything at this point

Reactions: Samuel Hidayat

Tenebrae956

Apr 10, 2019
Not sure if this is a bug or not (didn't cheat any relationship values or anything) but whenever I sleep in the tavern, I can't get the Midnight talk between Thomas and Kate to happen? Am i doing something wrong? here's a screenshot of the choice to wake up or ignore. It shows kate by her bed instead of the hallway, and i don't see them talking.

Lucky4U

Nov 2, 2021
Rent a room from Thomas than after haveing sex with her you should be able to progress.

I think she is labeled "side Character" so no real story to begin with, I would certainly love to see more content with her but aside of her actually starting a joined business with Verena I can't think of anything at this point
Well, she could have an affair with Ron(that guy with the donkey)? and over time, she could be turned into a use and throw for all. :p She loves wealth and power so she could be turned into a playtoy for the wealthy and powerful. ie, everyone does her at one point or another? :p
I would only play this game again if I am certain that there's more content coming for FRISHA. :p lol, otherwise, I would pass. :p Don't like any other characters. :p

hsaIV

Nov 7, 2020
Does anyone know what happened to Frank? He's disappeared, he's not in the barracks guarding the prisoner & I'm worried about my dude...

• Sad
Reactions: Solak

Solak

Nov 22, 2017
Well, she could have an affair with Ron(that guy with the donkey)? and over time, she could be turned into a use and throw for all. :p She loves wealth and power so she could be turned into a playtoy for the wealthy and powerful. ie, everyone does her at one point or another? :p
I would only play this game again if I am certain that there's more content coming for FRISHA. :p lol, otherwise, I would pass. :p Don't like any other characters. :p
I find it deeply concerning that you claim to like Frisha, only to ask for her content to be her being pumped and dumped like a playtoy for anyone and everyone...

4.60 star(s) 143 Votes