aidenboy

Jan 26, 2018
I really enjoyed this game up until the ending where the mc just took an uncharacteristic turn imo as well as the abrupt ending where you think a new chapter will start. That really dissapointed me tbh I was really getting into it and hoping for finishing the final arc then maybe picking either a harem route or picking one girl.
I agree here. All of a sudden the mc is an asshole who just wants it to be over and nothing to do with the girls is completely out of character. It's like because of all the lifetime movies the dev watched, they can't imagine a guy being good all the way through to the end without being an asshole first. The character models are good, and the story had potential until the end. That seriously took a weird ass turn when he decided the best option was rape when he clearly cared enough to work on the rest of the girls slowly. It felt super rushed and then the ending out of nowhere makes it feel like the dev wanted to just be done with the game and figured out a way to end it quickly without it being too much of a knee-jerk, but it still was. Honestly a better option would have omitted the whole grandscheme of the story line and just made ivan the bad guy. After that, it could have turned into a cute dating sim. I still appreciated the effert though.

luckytucky404

May 9, 2019
I agree here. All of a sudden the mc is an asshole who just wants it to be over and nothing to do with the girls is completely out of character. It's like because of all the lifetime movies the dev watched, they can't imagine a guy being good all the way through to the end without being an asshole first. The character models are good, and the story had potential until the end. That seriously took a weird ass turn when he decided the best option was rape when he clearly cared enough to work on the rest of the girls slowly. It felt super rushed and then the ending out of nowhere makes it feel like the dev wanted to just be done with the game and figured out a way to end it quickly without it being too much of a knee-jerk, but it still was. Honestly a better option would have omitted the whole grandscheme of the story line and just made ivan the bad guy. After that, it could have turned into a cute dating sim. I still appreciated the effert though.
Right? I was really hoping that the MC would have a chance to have that battle of wills with the demon once she was free like it was hinted at part of the way in. Maybe a sequel would fix some of these "problems"?

aidenboy

Jan 26, 2018
Right? I was really hoping that the MC would have a chance to have that battle of wills with the demon once she was free like it was hinted at part of the way in. Maybe a sequel would fix some of these "problems"?
I personally wouldn't care for a sequel but an entirely new game anyways. The only thing I'd care to see more of is these renders. A sequel wouldn't have any reason to be an adult game outside of if the player wanted to fool around with one of the girls since the succ isn't possessing the mc anymore, since that was the entire reason the mc was seducing them to begin with. So unless the sequels tags contain slavery,ntr,bdsm,rape,torture,pregnancy/forced pregnancy; it wouldn't make any sense. Then again, this is because I am only guessing how the sequel would/should end up, so I could be wrong and it could end up very good. We'll have to see.

Uzume

Sep 20, 2017
I gronaed every time I read the word mouthpussy.
Yes, that is likely due to trying to emulate a semi-direct translation of "口まんこ" (kuchi manko) or similar (I realize this is not actually a game of Japanese origin). "kuchi" definitely means "mouth" and "manko" is a very common slang term referring to the female sexual organ but also often extrapolated to any such hole that can be sexually used. To specify such a usage it is so prefixed with "mouth" and thus an English translation turns into something akin to "mouthpussy" or "mouthcunt", etc. Another similar usage is "穴まんこ" (ketsu manko) meaning something like "buttpussy", "asscunt, etc. Used in such a direct and uncouth way is it definitely considered a derogatory usage so it is basically weird English translations of Japanese dirty talk.

Another common example is in English is not uncommon to use the term "bitch" as a derogatory term for an sexually objectified woman (animalistic). You will rarely find this in Japanese translations because Japanese do not use such a canine like reference for sexually objectifying women. That isn't to say they do not do so verbally but since they have a different culture and language they express it differently and you might see translated terms like "sow" because they use terms like "雌豚" (mesubuta) meaning female pig, .i.e., sow.

A good translator can perhaps overcome such things but in so doing so must take some license while making the translation and risk changing the meaning (which may or may not be good depending on the consumer of the translation). There is something to be said for more direct translations but also for largely divergent ones so long as the high-level meaning isn't contorted too much. Translation between very different languages is nontrivial and I am sure any such work can always be criticized from some angle.

Last edited:

Cumknuckles

Oct 10, 2018
Yes, that is likely due to trying to emulate a semi-direct translation of "口まんこ" (kuchi manko) or similar (I realize this is not actually a game of Japanese origin). "kuchi" definitely means "mouth" and "manko" is a very common slang term referring to the female sexual organ but also often extrapolated to any such hole that can be sexually used. To specify such a usage it is so prefixed with "mouth" and thus an English translation turns into something akin to "mouthpussy" or "mouthcunt", etc. Another similar usage is "穴まんこ" (ketsu manko) meaning something like "buttpussy", "asscunt, etc. Used in such a direct and uncouth way is it definitely considered a derogatory usage so it is basically weird English translations of Japanese dirty talk.

Another common example is in English is not uncommon to use the term "bitch" as a derogatory term for an sexually objectified woman (animalistic). You will rarely find this in Japanese translations because Japanese do not use such a canine like reference for sexually objectifying women. That isn't to say they do not do so verbally but since they have a different culture and language they express it differently and you might see translated terms like "sow" because they use terms like "雌豚" (mesubuta) meaning female pig, .i.e., sow.

A good translator can perhaps overcome such things but in so doing so must take some license while making the translation and risk changing the meaning (which may or may not be good depending on the consumer of the translation). There is something to be said for more direct translations but also for largely divergent ones so long as the high-level meaning isn't contorted too much. Translation between very different languages is nontrivial and I am sure any such work can always be criticized from some angle.
That's interesting and all but this isn't a Japanese game that has been translated you know?(I suppose you do say emulate at the start but the rest of your post made me quickly forget about that)
Edit: or you edited your post between me first reading it and quoting it and rereading the quote.

caju

Oct 5, 2017

I want you to know that I died a little inside while reading this.
I didnt actually want any kind of explanation.
I feel like you killed a little piece of my soul.

I just meant to say there were errors and wierdness that made my peepee sad :geek:

395games_Rathieu

Developer of Mist and Covenant of Morn.
Game Developer
Nov 17, 2018
I just meant to say there were errors and wierdness that made my peepee sad :geek:
Yeah, I rushed many things in this first game and didn't spend much time thinking about the tone of my writing. The result was me going waaaaaaaaaay too hard on that stuff. I simply always assumed that everyone wants the hentai stuff because of many games coming out of that scene. I wrote what I thought others wanted to read, without realizing that most people here probably think similarly to me and I was writing for an audience that never existed in the first place. Looking back it is a bit cringy...:cry: But well, thats where I started out. :D

caju

Oct 5, 2017
Yeah, I rushed many things in this first game and didn't spend much time thinking about the tone of my writing. The result was me going waaaaaaaaaay too hard on that stuff. I simply always assumed that everyone wants the hentai stuff because of many games coming out of that scene. I wrote what I thought others wanted to read, without realizing that most people here probably think similarly to me and I was writing for an audience that never existed in the first place. Looking back it is a bit cringy...:cry: But well, thats where I started out. :D
Hey, it was fun to play. I believe the audience is a bit larger than you think though.
I played it from start to finish and enjoyed it. I was disappointed when it ended.
Hell, I was ready to go to the new land and meet the new characters.
Then, I looked around for a minute to find the continuation game.

Reactions: syh653

jaredh72

Apr 26, 2017
Had been following this and must have missed the release of the final version. Very sad to see that it's already finished. I hope it gets a sequel, whether by adding onto the original game, or by making a whole new game that continues the plot.

Skads

King of Cunts
Donor
Aug 27, 2016
Had been following this and must have missed the release of the final version. Very sad to see that it's already finished. I hope it gets a sequel, whether by adding onto the original game, or by making a whole new game that continues the plot.
im assuming there will be a second part to this game becuase that ended definately needs one
Devs working on another game.

twisted1

Nov 16, 2017
Had two big glitches so far through my playthrough, the teachers "the first night" leads to the whipping event for some reason, had to go in and change the name she uses for us manually, and the manor scene with cat in episode 2 straight up won't let me keep going

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/manor.rpy", line 252, in script
call screen manor01suchbild01
File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 531, in execute_call_screen
store._return = renpy.call_screen(name, *args, **kwargs)
File "game/custom.screens.rpy", line 324, in execute
screen manor01suchbild01():
File "game/custom.screens.rpy", line 324, in execute
screen manor01suchbild01():
File "game/custom.screens.rpy", line 328, in execute
imagebutton auto "buttons/manor/suchbild01/schlüssel.%s.png" focus_mask True action Jump("mkey01")
Exception: Imagebutton does not have a idle image. (auto=u'buttons/manor/suchbild01/schl\xfcssel.%s.png').
Just wanted to note that I got this error message, too. There was a problem (probably during extracting) because the filenames of these buttons have accents in them. Specifically, "A_Tale_of_Eden-pc\game\images\buttons\manor\suchbild01\schlüssel.hover.png" and "A_Tale_of_Eden-pc\game\images\buttons\manor\suchbild01\schlüssel.idle.png". The fix is to replace the messed up portions of the images' filenames (mine had "schl《sel" instead of "schlüssel"). That is to say, rename "schl《sel.hover.png" to "schlüssel.hover.png" and "schl《sel.idle.png" to "schlüssel.idle.png". Make sure to restart the game if you had it open while renaming the files.

EDIT: I also later had trouble with the alchemy. If you get a similar error message when attempting to make the aphrodisiac, you'll need to fix the images in "A_Tale_of_Eden-pc\game\images\buttons\alchemy", renaming "kreter.hover.png" and "kreter.idle.png" to "kräuter.hover.png" and "kräuter.idle.png" respectively.

Last edited:
3.30 star(s) 26 Votes