Alley_Cat

Devoted Member
Jul 20, 2019
I would say it's both depending on the conversation. Thankfully the majority of the conversations can be got away with as there is little American slang/changed words being used. When I was moving to the States there were times I may as well have been moving to Timbuktoo, the difference in real everyday language really is that different at times.

I do however completely agree on phrases and useage of certain words and prose that no native 'English' speaker ever uses/says.
I think slang is one of those things that you really don't notice until it comes up and turns out to be different. For example, until I looked into it at the time, I didn't realise that "take a squiz" was Australian slang.

Reactions: Maviarab

Alley_Cat

Devoted Member
Jul 20, 2019
For example, I will never write "I do however completely agree" because I am not native English speaker, so "I do however completely agree" is disturbing for me, but certainly very fluent. I learned standard sentence turns at school and English is not even my main foreign language. That's why, I will simply write "However, I completely agree on...", maybe I lose in realism.
And yet, over here, responding with "Fuckin' oath!" is understood to mean pretty much the same thing, even if the words themselves have a different meaning.

And now I'm wondering what a "'Strayan" version of AWAM would look like.

Alley_Cat

Devoted Member
Jul 20, 2019
responding with "Fuckin' oath!" > have I been disrespectful ? So sorry for this.
Not in the slightest. Merely pointing out that "Fucking oath" where I live is understood to mean the same as "I completely agree". Just an example of where in slang the words can take on different meanings. And probably a good thing I'm not going for the translator position.

On a slightly different note, one of our local comedians has a skit where he's talking about Aussie slang, and talks about the greetings "Ska non" and "Aya ga'in", which are hardly recognisable as English anymore.

The insults Ellie uses for Dylan would probably also be different in an Aussie version, since we use "words" like "derro" and "mong". "Mong" would probably be particularly insulting, since it's short for mongrel.

Alley_Cat

Devoted Member
Jul 20, 2019
Thank you for the explanations ;) I also had to go see what 'Stralian' meant. I'm terrible :LOL:
All good (or as we might say over here "Na wuckers" ;)) . "Straya" is just the Australian version of "Murica" for America. We like to shorten things over here, so even "Stralia" is too many syllables for us.

As an example, "Ska non" is short for "What is going on?" but somewhat rhetorically. But 2 syllables instead of 5. And it's intended meaning is probably closer to "How are you doing?"

"Avagudin" is one of my other favourites, which is short for "I hope you have a good one", often used as a farewell instead of "goodbye". 4 syllables instead of 7.

ashitanojoe

Oct 20, 2019
Thank you for the explanations ;) I also had to go see what 'Stralian' meant. I'm terrible :LOL:
Do you know the american expression "fuckin' right"? That would be the equal for australian "fuckin oath". But in the game I think that only Aiden would use expressions like that, because it's street slang.

This reminds me of a viral video of Bella Hadid She's a native american english speaker and still she generated a lot of mockery for the way she was talking, because she's a high class white woman and she was using urban slang. So, even if you're a native english speaker, you still can sound awful, if you are out of context.

Alley_Cat

Devoted Member
Jul 20, 2019
This expression means more to me than "fuckin oath". I don't find it awful, in English context is very important ;) for example,
I will be able to understand this expression like the strained response of a child to a parent who has just explained something
unpleasant for him..... > I'm probably wrong.

I saw the video and I understood almost everything on the first viewing. But not, for example "sick pair of sneakers", I understand "that do not match" but I'm not sure.
Sick means "great" in this context, paradoxically. Makes no sense, but it is what's understood

cakeny

Jul 23, 2020
I think slang is one of those things that you really don't notice until it comes up and turns out to be different. For example, until I looked into it at the time, I didn't realise that "take a squiz" was Australian slang.
Also things like difference in meaning of purse between USA and UK.

Reactions: Alley_Cat

Alley_Cat

Devoted Member
Jul 20, 2019
Also things like difference in meaning of purse between USA and UK.
"Thong" is another example. In America its common meaning is the lower piece of a g-string, but over here, it refers to sandals. It's quite normal and expected for men to wear thongs at a beach. However "budgee smugglers", not so much ;).

So me applying for that translator position, while it might get hilarious, is probably a Bad Idea.

Reactions: cakeny
3.20 star(s) 466 Votes