bayrischman

Feb 27, 2021

Unlocked

Unfortunately, the way I was planning the future updating system won't work, at least not now. I was planning to give you the option to update new events directly through the game menu where only patrons could log in, so that you don't need to download the whole thing over and over again.
The problem is, that my current game as it is, is too big for that. The problem is within an utility which prevents to create the important json file for that. If I reduce like the half of the renders, it works. To bypass that you'd need to break RenPy's code and write your own in it, which would change again after every new RenPy version update.
So, the best solution would be to divide the game in different parts. Those parts shouldn't cross 6500 renders. So, I will do some tests in this regard after the next release. I'm planning to finish the current playable day 12 as part 1 of the game. Then start part 2 where you'd need to copy your savefiles from part 1 in and keep on playing the story with your former decisions. In this new smaller part 2 you would have the option to update new events via the menu.
0.130 release: Between June 12 and June 15
Content
: around 996 renders spread over 6 main events.
jetzt beendet er das spiel . das habe ich erwartet.

PietruccioTheHilander

Forum Fanatic
Jul 17, 2019
it wouldnt work

why?

it doesnt matter, it just wouldnt

take my word for it
it wouldn't work because L&P would not have control over which users can download the new content. Read his post well
"I was planning to give you the option to update new events directly through the game menu where only patrons could log in, so that you don't need to download the whole thing over and over again."

• Sad
Reactions: xxxorro

t3alqdansam

Engaged Member
Jan 30, 2021
I personally have no problem posting the teaser. Already gave it to a couple guys asking in PM. I dont owe L&P anything,
But can you be courteous to the other players on this forum. As I have said, many have asked it not be posted. You just gonna dis them?

Reactions: Paul Newmon

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

Jun 25, 2017
it wouldn't work because L&P would not have control over which users can download the new content. Read his post well
"I was planning to give you the option to update new events directly through the game menu where only patrons could log in, so that you don't need to download the whole thing over and over again."
Well, I'm still wondering how the f is translation being done 2 pages a day so I'll leave you to solve the update mistery.

t3alqdansam

Engaged Member
Jan 30, 2021
I have to agree. I'm sure he includes me on his list of troublemakers, but the only thought I had while reading his meltdown was that I want to tell the guy it's all going to be ok. His reaction wasn't appropriate in any way, and of all the times to blow your top that wasn't the time. I feel bad for the guy, clearly our comments are getting to him. And while I feel that all of my criticisms have been fair, I'm not here to shit on the guy and send him into a rage. If I were him I would take some time off of the internet and go outside and enjoy nature.
I agree and have said as much earlier. I do not think he needs to be aware, on a daily or even weekly basis, of this "pirate chat". His patrons yes, show them some love. This would save him time and heartache. I would recommend he only visit this site as a review of ideas. I.e. he does a release and then reviews commentary prior to release only. He then reviews post release commentary prior to starting the next update. I suspect he has the discipline for this since he has the ability to focus on his story (no matter what his methodology). IMO

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
I have to agree. I'm sure he includes me on his list of troublemakers, but the only thought I had while reading his meltdown was that I want to tell the guy it's all going to be ok. His reaction wasn't appropriate in any way, and of all the times to blow your top that wasn't the time. I feel bad for the guy, clearly our comments are getting to him. And while I feel that all of my criticisms have been fair, I'm not here to shit on the guy and send him into a rage. If I were him I would take some time off of the internet and go outside and enjoy nature.
Hi! I am rather sure to be on L&P´s "Troll list" as well, but that is something I will never lose sleep over. I mentioned it before that I am a hobby writer and have several stories out. When you do art, writing or make a game, you will never satisfy everybody and you need a thick skin. I have gotten glowing praise, below the belt critic and everything between reactions and comments to my stories.
The only thing that sometimes get a rise out of me is scathing critics with the poster even admitting to not reading the story(!)at all. That really happens and not only to me! So I can just say to stay true to your vision, but listening at least a bit to your loyal supporters, something that L&P does not.
It is one thing if random guy number 40 is bashing your work or your loyal fans telling you "Dude, something is wrong in the state of Denmark!"

In the case of L&P not only the bashers, but many loyal fans (and to a certain point I count myself among them) see several serious problems with AWAM. The development pace, never fast, has slowed down to a crawl making snails look like racers. The developer shows a near complete resistance to any type of good advice, is insulting to posters at times (look at e.g. bayrischman, how L&P belittled him and now what bayrischman stated for months is becoming true!) and his promises are not worth the paper they are written on. (That is something you can do when you do a total hobby work in your sparetime, where real life intrudes and your fans know this beforehand, but not if you get money from them like L&P does)

My jokes and comparisons of L&P to gumdrop have a serious core in them. Unfortunately, L&P´s posts show a disturbing tendency towards the way gumdrop´s are, which is not present in posts from say 2 years ago.
But today their style is nearly exchangeable, the verbose, but ultimately hollow, telling nothing of substance writing. The egocentric selfwank and even the same style of more and more unbelievable excuses. I had a laugh when I red the post above about problems with the update system L&P works on. Gumdrop has "technical problems" of all kinds for 3 years now and it is eerie how similar L&P sounds.

t3alqdansam

Engaged Member
Jan 30, 2021
I dont owe them anything either
It is not owing it is courtesy. Obviously, you do not understand the concept! Many of them are paying patrons as well. Why would you go out of your way to disrespect them? That is not courtesy. That is not respecting others. L&P is not even part of the discussion on this. This is about you and if you can show respect for the other paying patrons and those that have asked nicely that it not be revealed. This is about respecting others and showing that respect.

nexer

Forum Fanatic
Feb 5, 2019
Perhaps this is the reason for the nervousness and, why not, the delay. The new update system will come in with the next update, not this one. And using the new system only on the second update. About 3 updates, starting today.
So the next update may be quicker than usual because the desire to implement the new system is high.

tigers

Apr 28, 2017
It is not owing it is courtesy. Obviously, you do not understand the concept! Many of them are paying patrons as well. Why would you go out of your way to disrespect them? That is not courtesy. That is not respecting others. L&P is not even part of the discussion on this. This is about you and if you can show respect for the other paying patrons and those that have asked nicely that it not be revealed. This is about respecting others and showing that respect.
Your point is moot. I havent posted the teaser here.
Yet I have sent the picture to over 10 people who asked me in PM.

Talcum Powder

Feb 14, 2018
While I cannot agree with L&P on keeping the teaser within the patrons itself, I think he's got a point. I also talked about some memebers in this thread and their attitude, about how they think they know everything and how they try to "illuminate" others. This attitude bothered me and I tried to reason with them though I eventually gave up.
I think everybody is mad about this update delay but siding with persons who do nothing but troll just because we are angry is not right.
And also I didn't expect L&P to reply like this way to anybody, I'm worried.
I hear you. But we're nearly four years since the initial release, shouldn't L&P know by now what to expect here? Why come here to argue? So yeah, the fact that L&P chose to respond like that, even if he apparently took down the post, is worrisome.
I'm pretty sure I'm on his ignore list but I'll still make the recommendation:
Lust&Passion could really take a page from Naughty Road and how he interacts with the F95 community. I'm not going to @ NR on this thread, obviously, but his game is here. That game has four, five, six months between updates, and the next one is looking like possibly seven months, but no one complains and no one gripes and no one tries to tell him how to speed things up or what to cut. It's so much more positive and supportive.

And even when people do complain or gripe or whatever, he comes off as totally relaxed, he has fun with it and never really goes on the attack or defense. It reads like a shrug and, "Yeah, well, I'm doing what I can do when I can do it and that's all I can do.;):)(y)"

I am not making any qualitative or quantitative comparisons between the games, I'm only talking about how the devs communicate with this community.

Talcum Powder

Feb 14, 2018
wouldn't it be enough to just release the new content and new scripts?
it would be enough to copy the new files in the old folder and overwrite only the necessary; with other games it works
There are very simple ways to do this. He could simply end every new script with a label check.
Example:
update_12_script.rpy could end with
Code:
jump update_12_end_check_for_next

label update_12_end_check_for_next:
if exists update_13_start_label then jump update_13_start_label
else jump update_12_ending_sequence

label update_12_ending_sequence
narrator: "See you in six months!"
return
and so on...
Then all you have to do is copy the new script file(s) and archive into the existing game folder. you're done.

I think the challenge was he wanted to be able to update the game from within the game, to better control the leaks. That's not so simple of course.

itsjasey

Mar 29, 2018
So this game is running like GTA. Rockstar makes us wait for 5-6 years to give us new improved awesomeness. Im guessing, it'll be two updates per year for this game.

fernandopoo

May 22, 2017
personally, I'd rather have a whole film than a trailer, and the game to play than a teaser to just watch. Spoilers? Ok, in this particular case I don't mind, but also I don't care. The dev doesn't want it here on the open? I suppose I would respect his wishes (why not?). But again, I'd rather have the actual game.

nexer

Forum Fanatic
Feb 5, 2019
There are very simple ways to do this. He could simply end every new script with a label check.
Example:
update_12_script.rpy could end with
Code:
jump update_12_end_check_for_next

label update_12_end_check_for_next:
if exists update_13_start_label then jump update_13_start_label
else jump update_12_ending_sequence

label update_12_ending_sequence
narrator: "See you in six months!"
return
and so on...
Then all you have to do is copy the new script file(s) and archive into the existing game folder. you're done.

I think the challenge was he wanted to be able to update the game from within the game, to better control the leaks. That's not so simple of course.
He's not a programmer, so he either pays for the script or learns to program. That's how the days fly by and the update never comes.

Paul Newmon

Apr 27, 2021
Please consider making it so we do not have to copy and insert a SAVE FILE, unless you have a Mac and can show step-by-step instructions on how to do that. When I say "show" I mean screen shots For Dummies. I have tried this (insert a save file) with My Best Friend's Daughter, and could not do it at all . I would prefer to be given a series of questions that I can input and the game continue on from there. That is how I made it through Dating My Daughter.

Reactions: Bane71
3.20 star(s) 466 Votes