NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
The way I see that scenario is if you don't talk to your girlfriend/spouse before whoring yourself out for her career, then it's still cheating. If Jonas bangs Ana, then it's still cheating no matter how good intentioned it might have been in his mind. It would have meant fucking another girl behind Megan's back. If he had told Megan first, she could have either been fine with it, or she could have decided that her acting career isn't worth dealing with that. But if he chooses to bang Ana behind Megan's back, then it's cheating no matter the intentions. So I think Megan's reaction to the news is a realistic one.

Also, Jonas did ultimately have a choice. Jonas could have chosen his personal integrity and faithfulness to Megan over Ana's threats. If Ana actually did follow through with her threats (which she ultimately didn't), and Megan was upset with Jonas's decision to not fuck Ana for the sake of her own career, then I'd say Megan is the asshole not Jonas.
In my opinion, he was in a no-win situation with Ana and the only way to make the right decision is to not have had a conversation with her at all. When you have a narcissistic cheating ex no contact is the only way to avoid their hoovering, breadcrumbing, and gaslighting. If he doesn't capitulate to her demands he is still harming Megan because his shitty relationship with his ex is trashing her career through no fault of her own. However, if he doesn't go to her apartment he is accepting that Ana alone is responsible for her actions and that she is only giving him the illusion of control over the outcome. Once he agrees to see her, she's got him. Even if he refuses the sex he is now actively making a decision that hurts Megan's career. If he does knuckle under he not only cheats on Megan after being with her officially for a matter of hours but also compounds his shittiness by just straight-up assaulting and battering Ana, which isn't acceptable even though she was blackmailing him for sex. The ending where he ends up with Ana is tragic, not happy. Probably for them both. They are trapped in an unhealthy relationship pretty much because they are both shitty people who have alienated everyone else.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Echbert

Jericho85

Apr 25, 2022
In my opinion, he was in a no-win situation with Ana and the only way to make the right decision is to not have had a conversation with her at all. When you have a narcissistic cheating ex no contact is the only way to avoid their hoovering, breadcrumbing, and gaslighting. If he doesn't capitulate to her demands he is still harming Megan because his shitty relationship with his ex is trashing her career through no fault of her own. However, if he doesn't go to her apartment he is accepting that Ana alone is responsible for her actions and that she is only giving him the illusion of control over the outcome. Once he agrees to see her, she's got him. Even if he refuses the sex he is now actively making a decision that hurts Megan's career. If he does knuckle under he not only cheats on Megan after being with her officially for a matter of hours but also compounds his shittiness by just straight-up assaulting and battering Ana, which isn't acceptable even though she was blackmailing him for sex. The ending where he ends up with Ana is tragic, not happy. Probably for them both. They are trapped in an unhealthy relationship pretty much because they are both shitty people who have alienated everyone else.
Except, Ana already tried to scuttle Megan's audition before Jonas was aware Ana was involved. He didn't know Ana was there until after the audition. The only thing that saved Megan's career was the fact that Jonas confronted Ana. If he doesn't go to Ana's apartment at all, there is no incentive for Ana to get out of Megan's way.

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
Except, Ana already tried to scuttle Megan's audition before Jonas was aware Ana was involved. He didn't know Ana was there until after the audition. The only thing that saved Megan's career was the fact that Jonas confronted Ana. If he doesn't go to Ana's apartment at all, there is no incentive for Ana to get out of Megan's way.
Ana had made her decision based on the belief that she could use it as leverage, but the only way to win that game was to not play that game. It is a question of utilitarian ethics vs deontology at that point. Ana is fully responsible for her corrupt decision and is looking to make him an accomplice to her corruption. By going to meet with her he makes himself a rational moral actor in the outcome and thus is taking responsibility for the consequences of that meeting one way or another. You have to decide if actions have a moral weight in themselves or if you are a consequentialist. In some ways, it is a question the entire game is asking.

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
So for the last few days I've been tormenting myself with the different endings of Acting Lessons. In doing so, I was surprised at how inexplicably awesome Rena's ending is. Now it is really hard to get because you need to really show your ass, but even if you fall out of the idiot tree and hit every branch on the way down Rena will stay with you because you chose her.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

There are also some unexpectedly heartwarming moments considering that Rena is basically the homewrecker of the story.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I'm sure that I will have more thoughts on the other endings, but what struck me about this one is that I didn't really like Rena until I played her ending. She came across as jealous, petty, callow, hedonistic, and self-destructive in the narrative. It wasn't until she was tied to a chair in a murder dungeon that we got to see her good qualities. Brave, fierce, selfless, loving, and resilient. It shows that we shouldn't judge a book by its cover. We never know who someone is unless our assumptions about them have been tested.

Reactions: Mythycx

Mythycx

Feb 10, 2023
Ana had made her decision based on the belief that she could use it as leverage, but the only way to win that game was to not play that game. It is a question of utilitarian ethics vs deontology at that point. Ana is fully responsible for her corrupt decision and is looking to make him an accomplice to her corruption. By going to meet with her he makes himself a rational moral actor in the outcome and thus is taking responsibility for the consequences of that meeting one way or another. You have to decide if actions have a moral weight in themselves or if you are a consequentialist. In some ways, it is a question the entire game is asking.
This VN brought in a lot more real-world life and consequences than your average AVN does which is why it's so popular. But you put it beautifully, it's easy to sit back and say well I'm innocent because she was doing it to the MC like meeting her in the first place isnt a betrayal all of its own.

Reactions: NewTricks

Jumbi

Feb 17, 2020
Is it like a sugar baby/daddy story?

The MC is rich?
It's been long since I last played the game. But as I recall the whole thing, the MC is not rich as in Bill Gates kind of rich, if that is what you are asking. He has only made enough money to live somewhat of a accommodated, quiet, worries free kind of life, which is more than most people have the luck of achieving in that regard.

aura95

Jun 8, 2020
Wouldn't characterize it as such, no.

Despite the age difference the MC and the (main) girl moving in with him operate more or less on the same eye level in their relationship and there's a big emphasis on her getting a job and becoming financially independent again.

Reactions: Jumbi and Vlbc

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017

The MC is rich?
No. The game you are looking for is "Friends In Need" LOL. Seriously, though. The MC has money enough to consider early retirement but he takes her on as a roommate without any strings attached. However, she attaches herself to him which does make for an awkward second act.

Vlbc

Jul 23, 2022
No. The game you are looking for is "Friends In Need" LOL. Seriously, though. The MC has money enough to consider early retirement but he takes her on as a roommate without any strings attached. However, she attaches herself to him which does make for an awkward second act.
Actually this "Friends In Need" looks pretty good. Thanks o/

Reactions: NewTricks

Homealone

Jun 3, 2017
Is there a happy ending? as in both love interests survive?

WTF DrPinkCake, not cool bro, I didn't download this for this painful ending. BID better not end like this, jeez.

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
Is there a happy ending? as in both love interests survive?

WTF DrPinkCake, not cool bro, I didn't download this for this painful ending. BID better not end like this, jeez.
I feel your pain. I quit playing for almost a year before I came back to finish the game, but I'm glad that I did. I like to think that somewhere out there in the multiverse is the ending that we all wanted, but just like real life it will need to live in our imaginations.

Churchill53

Nov 28, 2020
Wondering if anyone can help, am in chapter 3, Melissa is offering herself on couch before Megan gets home, but no options are appearing and can't progress further, any advice?

BushedBear

Feb 26, 2023
Well can't say I was looking to feel like shit and have that deep pit in my stomach from a loss you can't control. I can respect the creators choice here and all but man got to say as someone who plays these games to escape those types of feelings it was tough to play through. In the end the route I chose will likely be the only one I see, I'm usually eager to see how the story goes with each character but would rather not get emotionally punched in the gut a few more times.

I think this game handles loss pretty well and overcoming struggles in life... I definitely respect it a lot for not pulling punches even if it's not the typical outcome I would want to see.

Reactions: just1moment

AppleNine2312

May 5, 2021
does anyone know who sing the cover of the song Red is the rose at the final scene of the game I've tried to find the song but I cant find it anywhere

Salamango

Feb 16, 2018
Hmm, I sat down to play with the thought of fapping and getting a couple of napkins dirty, and as a result I spent much more napkins to wipe tears.

A very touching story that I wanted to quit at the end of the 6th episode, but overcame myself and it was worth it. Very lively characters and if you cut out all 18+ content, the story will not get worse.

Reactions: Jumbi
4.60 star(s) 802 Votes