After Colony

Game Developer
Mar 2, 2021
Damn, this was unexpectedly good. My only real complains are the text color(dark colors on dark background are somewhat hard to read) and bit where you have to get money for the space ticket(would be great to see how much i have). Otherwise i like everything so far.

Edit:

Forgot to ask, is there any incest content planed?
Thank you for your kind comment. I've noticed this myself, I'll see about making the blues brighter. The money not being displayed was purely because I was on the fence about implementing a full money system, at the moment, I'm leaning against it as "getting (x) amount of money to do (y)" is so easy and kind of lazy creatively - I almost did it as part of the prologue, for example. Also I still need to implement the inventory system fully, so once that is done, I'll add in credits for that part of the game. Besides, Earth currency is largely worthless in the rest of the system!

And it's not off the table, it's just that the subplots with your sister and mother aren't gonna come up until later in the game. I imagine there will be sexual content involved with both, but it'll be restricted to a bad end rather than something your character would actively consent to, like sold into slavery with your sister and forced to do nasty shit with each other. I'll be seeing which bad ends people like the best and turning them into repeatable "fail states" eventually, the next update should have extra prologue content with Jenny and her bad end, as that is the one I get the best feedback on.

After Colony

Game Developer
Mar 2, 2021
Forgot to post these on Patreon with the new status update, so thought I'd give people a preview here too. Been playing around with the eventual mind control elements and portraits a bit, I drop in and out of photoshop, so I'm not the best. With the "blanked" eyes, I decided to go against the spiral eyes and the just flat out, dead looking eyes. They still look blank, but still alive. I never liked the "pure white" look of a mind wiped/mc subject. The second is MC and the third is from a "Rough Landing" style MC, of which I'm doing a mini-remake of inside my game.

Arius00m

Oct 25, 2021
Awesome start, has potential for being a great game, hope your progress goes well for you. I recommend setting up a discord for people to join and follow updates for your game. Id join it.

After Colony

Game Developer
Mar 2, 2021
Awesome start, has potential for being a great game, hope your progress goes well for you. I recommend setting up a discord for people to join and follow updates for your game. Id join it.
Thank you. I'll be setting one up with the release of Chapter 1, just so I can put it into the main page ala the patreon :)

Reactions: Arius00m

After Colony

Game Developer
Mar 2, 2021
walktorugh?
You should find three separate walkthroughs in the game folder for each route.

how do you get the asylum ending
If I recall, you end up with the asylum ending if you're burned out by the VR game (available only in the ALICE/Science path atm). At the moment, it is just a simple ending. Next version the asylum ending will be bigger and more accessible, because it'll be tied to your mental health.

After Colony

Game Developer
Mar 2, 2021
The military walkthrough is missing the compartment A admiral event.
Thanks, I'll add it for the next walkthrough. Though the Admiral thing isn't -that- important yet, but will play relevance for the next chapter and, to a lesser extent, the rest of the game, so not a big thing.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
I generally like the writing, but you got a huge problem with using commas incorrectly. You are essentially separating full sentences with commas instead of periods, without using any conjunctions. You might want to look into this issue because it seems to be pervasive throughout the whole script.

Reactions: shioxu

After Colony

Game Developer
Mar 2, 2021
I generally like the writing, but you got a huge problem with using commas incorrectly. You are essentially separating full sentences with commas instead of periods, without using any conjunctions. You might want to look into this issue because it seems to be pervasive throughout the whole script.
Thanks for the comment! I understand the rules, but I use a comma as a soft pause or half a period instead of a full period, which is perfectly acceptable, though I probably would be more careful in an academic piece. Usually it's for thoughts etc. I know that technically, commas are not 'pause marks', but it is actually still taught in a lot of places and I don't think is all that important, it's just another writing style.

I've met teachers who have a fear of commas and just remove them. It's one of them things.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Thanks for the comment! I understand the rules, but I use a comma as a soft pause or half a period instead of a full period, which is perfectly acceptable, though I probably would be more careful in an academic piece. Usually it's for thoughts etc. I know that technically, commas are not 'pause marks', but it is actually still taught in a lot of places and I don't think is all that important, it's just another writing style.

I've met teachers who have a fear of commas and just remove them. It's one of them things.
I'm not too sure if that is perfectly acceptable. I've certainly never seen commas used like this before. Using commas for a natural pause in a sentence is perfectly acceptable. It should be a single sentence though.

Ex. Generally speaking, the bla bla bla...
Ex. The monster lurking in the shadow surprises you, sending a chill down your spine.

You are writing complete sentences conjoined by commas without a conjunction. That doesn't seem right and is hard to justify as a "writing style." You can link 2 sentences dealing with a similar subject with a semicolon, but it's usually not abused too much. Basically, I don't see any reason to not use periods for the majority of cases in your script.

Example from your script:
It was a constant problem, you questioned if what you were doing was right, your moral compass was being tested. It was certainly a fire by trial trial by fire, a trial you passed without a scratch, you questioned yourself and choices, was this the life you wanted?

I am by no means a grammar expert, but the above passage really doesn't seem right to me. Read out the passage. In what way is a "soft pause" via the comma different than a period here? It would read the same way. Since you are writing a predominantly text based story that is closer to a novel than a dialogue heavy VN, I think following the correct grammar is advisable. You could take liberties here and there for dramatic effect and style. For example, no one would cry over occasional sentence fragments in fiction. The comma issue I'm seeing in your writing is a different beast though. You invented a new convention to do essentially the same thing as a period. You can really tell when you read out the paragraph.

I'm not shitting on you just for the hell of it. I do like the story and your writing style. Your actual writing style. The prose. I don't consider the comma issues here to be a style thing.

Reactions: shioxu

After Colony

Game Developer
Mar 2, 2021
I'm not too sure if that is perfectly acceptable. I've certainly never seen commas used like this before. Using commas for a natural pause in a sentence is perfectly acceptable. It should be a single sentence though.

Ex. Generally speaking, the bla bla bla...
Ex. The monster lurking in the shadow surprises you, sending a chill down your spine.

You are writing complete sentences conjoined by commas without a conjunction. That doesn't seem right and is hard to justify as a "writing style." You can link 2 sentences dealing with a similar subject with a semicolon, but it's usually not abused too much. Basically, I don't see any reason to not use periods for the majority of cases in your script.

Example from your script:
It was a constant problem, you questioned if what you were doing was right, your moral compass was being tested. It was certainly a fire by trial trial by fire, a trial you passed without a scratch, you questioned yourself and choices, was this the life you wanted?

I am by no means a grammar expert, but the above passage really doesn't seem right to me. Read out the passage. In what way is a "soft pause" via the comma different than a period here? It would read the same way. Since you are writing a predominantly text based story that is closer to a novel than a dialogue heavy VN, I think following the correct grammar is advisable. You could take liberties here and there for dramatic effect and style. For example, no one would cry over occasional sentence fragments in fiction. The comma issue I'm seeing in your writing is a different beast though. You invented a new convention to do essentially the same thing as a period. You can really tell when you read out the paragraph.

I'm not shitting on you just for the hell of it. I do like the story and your writing style. Your actual writing style. The prose. I don't consider the comma issues here to be a style thing.
I'm not likely to change it over night, I'll keep it in mind but I've always done it that way and no one has ever pulled me up on it before. I've even worked in academic writing and university, hell I even apply this to when I used to teach, so it isn't really that great of a priority for me or something I can fix overnight unfortunately.

Reactions: desmosome

baxtus

Apr 15, 2021
Decent amount of lesbian content, fun story, not too grindy.

Overall very pleased, I look forward to seeing the next update

After Colony

Game Developer
Mar 2, 2021
Decent amount of lesbian content, fun story, not too grindy.

Overall very pleased, I look forward to seeing the next update
Thanks for the kind comment. I'll be adding two or three more lesbian encounters to the prologue with the next update too :)

Reactions: baxtus
3.50 star(s) 6 Votes