Lapsa

Game Developer
May 30, 2020
I understand implementing a dark mode isn't simple, but certainly how I felt upon opening the game.
It is less that it 'isn't simple' and more that it is as far as I understand impossible without me learning an entirely different programming language - and even then from my understanding of inform it would require a third party app (many of which break other functionalities of inform). Trust that, as per my punishment, the screen for coding is about 10 times as hard to look at.

I hope to encounter something I can use as a work-around some day. Until then, I do believe there are a few workarounds that likely exist, given that it opens in a browser.

Reactions: Vreis

Lapsa

Game Developer
May 30, 2020
just wondering where does the game save at anyways?
I believe it is somewhere in app data.

Seems to be constant, and easy to reproduce.
usually happens after a set amount of times.

If I remember right, the soft lock in the mansion happens after being grabbed by automated security twice/thrice.
There's also another bug in the mansion that prevents you from disabling the security no matter how high your intelligence is.
And sometimes doesn't even give you an option to even try to.

You can add me on Discord if you'd like me to test out future builds or such.
Got a pretty good nick for finding bugs.
I appreciate the help again, and sure. You can dm me your discord.

Last edited:

chrisdraconis

Jul 18, 2017
is this an html game or a gluxe/gblorb game? cause it seem you tried to implement it as both and quality suffered in both versions. also any chance you could implent either a fixed map with moving marker or a non ascii art map as the current one gets a bit confusing. also rat commander battle breaks on second turn

Last edited:

imercenary95

Jul 19, 2017
Oh fuck one of these games. I am not the target audience for this game, but this shit is going to go absolutely fucking nowhere real fast if the developer doesn't write and maintain an updated walkthrough. Games like this are nigh-impossible without a guide or hours of banging your head against the wall.

kiba945

Apr 20, 2018
I haven't gone through all the new content but I really like what I'm seeing! Maps are a bit difficult to understand where you are or where you're going though but after a few tries it became a bit easier. I think the map should be clearer but it isn't something that I'd say it's at the top of the list.

I do have a question! I've noticed that the game is tagged with pregnancy but I haven't any yet, maybe it's behind bad ends? I managed to barely get any because I would overly prepare for the dungeons lol

Also, will there be a pregnancy system or will it just be a thing of bad ends? I'm a sucker for a good pregnancy system so I'd love to see it become it's own thing.

Lapsa

Game Developer
May 30, 2020
is this an html game or a gluxe/gblorb game? cause it seem you tried to implement it as both and quality suffered in both versions. also any chance you could implent either a fixed map with moving marker or a non ascii art map as the current one gets a bit confusing. also rat commander battle breaks on second turn
I'm not sure what you mean - the game is made and coded in Inform, not html. There are not two versions, I packaged the game using Inform exclusively, and released it alongside the built-in interpreter that Inform comes with.

As for the map, I'm afraid that the current map is - as far as I understand coding in inform - the limitations of what is possible without me having to learn another programming language. As with a dark-mode, however, I will keep an eye out for any possible way to implement a better map - preferable one that is displayed in a lot bigger of a window.

I'll check out the bug with the battle - I appreciate the feedback!

I haven't gone through all the new content but I really like what I'm seeing! Maps are a bit difficult to understand where you are or where you're going though but after a few tries it became a bit easier. I think the map should be clearer but it isn't something that I'd say it's at the top of the list.

I do have a question! I've noticed that the game is tagged with pregnancy but I haven't any yet, maybe it's behind bad ends? I managed to barely get any because I would overly prepare for the dungeons lol

Also, will there be a pregnancy system or will it just be a thing of bad ends? I'm a sucker for a good pregnancy system so I'd love to see it become it's own thing.
I don't think there is much I can do about the map. Inform is not exactly as malleable on its own as Java, Flash, or other languages. I'm assuming one of the major problems people have with the map is its display size? As stated in the previous reply, I'll try to keep an eye out for anything that might be used to improve that aspect of things.

Unfortunately, there is no pregnancy system. Something like that wouldn't really mesh with the game well and would have to be shoe-horned in as things stand - especially given that I'm trying to refrain from making it too much of a mess on either end (coding or playing, coding would be a nightmare). The pregnancy thus far is in bad-ends/game-overs, and there will be even more in the future.

Pregnancy is currently implied in many scenes, and directly stated in the Pryamid's mimic g.o. scene (Pyramid of Ayam), the Chihuahua Commander Scene (Jungle Fortress), The Attack Dalmatian g.o. scene (the Mansion), and both the Drone and Larva g.o. scenes (Bee Hive, though the larva is technically unbirthing).

Also, looking through things it seems I boinked the coding somehow and the boss of the new level is using the wrong g.o. scene - instead using another character's scene instead. I'll try to have a hot-fix up next week along-side fixes for any other issues that arise.

Reactions: kiba945

blitblop

Oct 3, 2019
In the future, as I add more content, there will be more jobs that feature those options. Slutiness/corruption (Kind of a silly name, but I wanted to avoid calling it 'corruption' since it kind of isn't?) will also play a factor - though I haven't done a whole lot with that system yet as it was mainly going to be out of level stuff revolving around jobs, npc interactions, and other small things.
What about referring to it by how picky your character is. Like at a high level you would be classified as "selective" and at low level it would be "up for anything"?

Asdere

Feb 1, 2018
I understand implementing a dark mode isn't simple, but certainly how I felt upon opening the game.
*massive gif that really burns my eyes*
Get an interpreter that allows you to edit text and background colors (I use Windows Git that allows me to choose my own text/link/background colors and make my own dark mode)

Delta Rose

Oct 24, 2017
I really want to like this game since I'm interested in this kind of stuff, but the amount of random encounters is absolutely abysmal, to the point that it took me out of the game and made me quit. You really shouldn't be getting a random encounter just for looking around, nor should you be getting one after every single action. I'm pretty sure I spent more time clicking through random encounters than actually enjoying the game. And please, end the player's turn after they attack. An extra click doesn't sound like much, but it really adds up to a big annoyance and time waster, having to end your turn manually every time. Randomly missing also never feels good, especially without a way to mitigate misses.

Lapsa

Game Developer
May 30, 2020
What about referring to it by how picky your character is. Like at a high level you would be classified as "selective" and at low level it would be "up for anything"?
I believe you mean the opposite? High level 'up for anything', and low level being 'selective'. That stat will mainly play a role outside of dungeons and levels - mainly revolving around interactions with npcs and certain jobs.

I really want to like this game since I'm interested in this kind of stuff, but the amount of random encounters is absolutely abysmal, to the point that it took me out of the game and made me quit. You really shouldn't be getting a random encounter just for looking around, nor should you be getting one after every single action. I'm pretty sure I spent more time clicking through random encounters than actually enjoying the game. And please, end the player's turn after they attack. An extra click doesn't sound like much, but it really adds up to a big annoyance and time waster, having to end your turn manually every time. Randomly missing also never feels good, especially without a way to mitigate misses.

I can certainly try to rebalance random encounters (though the random nature means that its theoretically possible to get extremely bad luck), if you could let me know which levels you find particularly egregious, it'd be helpful. Also, just 'looking around' - depending on what you mean - shouldn't result in encounters. Interacting with objects, leaving and entering a dungeon, leaving and entering the stat menu, and talking to npcs in dungeons/levels (currently only one level has this) should never lead to a random encounter and if any of them do it is a bug.

I'm sorry to hear having to click again to end the turn is a deal-breaker for you - as the combat system I've coded is already pushing the limits of what inform is capable of and what I have the time to do. The way the code works, it would break the entirety of the functionality of several different 'behind the scenes' things in combat.

• Angry
Reactions: XephosDB

the1smuggler

Jun 30, 2017
Hi, I was able to make a dark mode version with a few tweaks to the generated CSS file. Have you by any chance read Count Zero? The introduction is strikingly similar. change.png

Reactions: Lapsa

Lapsa

Game Developer
May 30, 2020
Hi, I was able to make a dark mode version with a few tweaks to the generated CSS file. Have you by any chance read Count Zero? The introduction is strikingly similar. View attachment 1497148
Hey! That's awesome, I suppose that's the problems with dark mode solved for the people that can edit it (or perhaps I can try to maintain a 'dark mode' version of the file if its possible to edit them directly...though likely not).

I'm unfamiliar with Count Zero, looking it up it seems to be a somewhat well-known sci-fi novel...which leads me to believe that it is probably not as 'strikingly similar'.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: XephosDB

Loktahar

Aug 21, 2017
I would say work on a new map system which better shows the player and the dungeon heck simple boxes of COC2 and the like would work great for games like these. If the map can be worked out you really don't need to make a walkthrough. It does need to be a full map just make it be in a fog until players discover more. Right now it looks like some comment section doodle.

Lapsa

Game Developer
May 30, 2020
I would say work on a new map system which better shows the player and the dungeon heck simple boxes of COC2 and the like would work great for games like these. If the map can be worked out you really don't need to make a walkthrough. It does need to be a full map just make it be in a fog until players discover more. Right now it looks like some comment section doodle.
Sorry to hear you are having problems with the map. Unfortunately, its very much impossible to do something like those sorts of games as this is made in a much more limited (and dated) engine and language. I'm not entirely sure there is a better way to do it than the way I'm doing it now, however I've never-the-less kept looking, and I appreciate the feedback.

Lapsa

Game Developer
May 30, 2020
Despite the title (if you are wondering why its there - I have no idea, it was added by the moderators. I assume due to the fact that the interpreter [what runs the .gblorb file] probably uses HTML in addition to Java), this is not an html game. It is made using the engine Inform7, which is somewhat dated. Anything done in a game coded in C, Java, Flash, HTML, or the like is unlikely to be able to be translated into inform 1-to-1.

Still, I appreciate the feedback and will continue to try to look for a way to make the map system better. However, Inform faces some steep limitations to what it can do - and the more flashy and showy things are the more third party participation from other applications and languages they tend to require (something that I would not be able to add).

WickedRaptor

Aug 3, 2020
i like the direction of the game and the writing but Please change the background colour, black text on a white background is infinite pain and really weighs heavily on the enjoyment. Or at the very least make it so the text isn't as small

Lapsa

Game Developer
May 30, 2020
i like the direction of the game and the writing but Please change the background colour, black text on a white background is infinite pain and really weighs heavily on the enjoyment. Or at the very least make it so the text isn't as small
Unfortunately, there is no way I know of currently to change the background color of the interpreter it releases with, however a couple posts up someone lists how to do it in browser. I hope that isn't too much of an impedement to the game, like I've mentioned before I'm still looking for something I can do to resolve it without those that download it having to put forth too much effort.

2.50 star(s) 2 Votes