Nov 17, 2019
And what, pray tell, happens if the product isn't delivered on time via a patreon donation?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing, because patreon isn't a mutually beneficial exchange of goods and services contracted by an employer and employee held accountable by the FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act). If an employer doesn't pay the employee on a specified time, it's a violation of the FSLA, and the employee could be liable for damages even before state authorities are notified.

I don't expect you to know all this, but a basic understanding of how patreon functions and how it differs from your standard state of employment doesn't take that much effort.
and as a developer you shouldnt want to piss off too many of those folks, especially if its your only revenue stream. Its not difficult, people pledge with the reasonable expectation they will recieve updates in a reasonable time, which has or at least was laid out by the developer.

Nov 17, 2019
As it was already answered I give you a short version: A donation is not a salary payment.
Think of it as paying for a game on steam in early access or being a backer for those kickstarter/fig and whatever else there is campaigns. You can NEVER be sure the project reaches complement or updates are delivered in time, but you can help it reaching that goal and hope for the best.
This mentality is moronic. If i was a developer i would would want to please the people paying me. No shit a donation is not a salary payment, but as someone has noted is their full time job now, and with that comes with some reasonable expectations.

I usually pay for updates when they come out and refuse to pledge beforehand. If the updates take a year, that probably a lot of potential dollars lost there.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
I usually pay for updates when they come out and refuse to pledge beforehand. If the updates take a year, that probably a lot of potential dollars lost there.
Which is why the overwhelming majority of developers charge by the month rather than by the release.

Of course there are those, like yourself, who game the system, who only pledge when a release comes out, then cancel before the next month's bill is due.

Nov 17, 2019
Which is why the overwhelming majority of developers charge by the month rather than by the release.

Of course there are those, like yourself, who game the system, who only pledge when a release comes out, then cancel before the next month's bill is due.
im not gaming the system, im providing support when i want to. the fuck is wrong with you.\

Last edited:

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
im not gaming the system, im providing support when i want to. the fuck is wrong with you.\
If someone only pledges when a release comes out in order to get that release, and then cuts off the pledge as soon as the game is downloaded, that's gaming the system.

But, you do you, man. I'm sure you think you're doing the best for the developers of the games you 'support'.

Nov 17, 2019
If someone only pledges when a release comes out in order to get that release, and then cuts off the pledge as soon as the game is downloaded, that's gaming the system.

But, you do you, man. I'm sure you think you're doing the best for the developers of the games you 'support'.
you are so righteous man, why you even here, on a pirate site, should you not be appalled?

Christ. Absolutely insufferable. Would you prefer i dont donate at all? Is that to your liking?

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Why am I here, on a pirate site? I'm here because I'm not rich enough to support all the really good developers whose games I like and play. I am also here to get information about those games, and to provide information where I can.

I am certainly not going to tell you what to do with your money. That's your business.

You seem to be getting quite worked up, though, so try not to have a stroke before the next release.

Nov 17, 2019
Why am I here, on a pirate site? I'm here because I'm not rich enough to support all the really good developers whose games I like and play. I am also here to get information about those games, and to provide information where I can.

I am certainly not going to tell you what to do with your money. That's your business.

You seem to be getting quite worked up, though, so try not to have a stroke before the next release.
you very much seem to be telling me what i should do with my money with the "gaming the system" comment, but please continue with the self righteousness. Its fine.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
you very much seem to be telling me what i should do with my money with the "gaming the system" comment, but please continue with the self righteousness. Its fine.
Nope. I'm just describing what you're doing. Not trying to change your methods.

I understand that there is no way I can influence your behavior, but it is what it is. You seem proud of it, after all. And you should be comforted in the fact that there are a lot of people who do the same thing.

Have a nice day.

Aug 15, 2021

Imagine gatekeeping how people spend their money. The exact same argument can be made for developers who dont provide a fixed update schedule - they are also 'gaming the system' but we both know that is not really true.

Patreon is basically just a way to tip people if you like their work - you are not paying the developer a salary. You can tip when you want and stop tipping when you want. You dont owe them money just like how they dont owe you regular updates.

Last edited:

goulet1995

Sep 30, 2021

so you support every game you play then?

Auroma!

Aug 10, 2020
Nope. I'm just describing what you're doing. Not trying to change your methods.

I understand that there is no way I can influence your behavior, but it is what it is. You seem proud of it, after all. And you should be comforted in the fact that there are a lot of people who do the same thing.

Have a nice day.
Imagine paying NOTHING AT ALL! and still play the game from pirate site but telling and judging someone else how they should or should not pay. :Kappa:

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
That's the exact opposite of what he said.......

They already said that they dont. It just looks like your typical hypocrite trying to be self righteous.
How exactly is he being hypocritical or self righteous? He's right in everything he said.

Aug 15, 2021
How exactly is he being hypocritical or self righteous? He's right in everything he said.
Hypocritical because he is trying to preach despite being on a piracy website and admitting to pirate games. Self righteous because he is judging how others spend their money.

Both devs and patreons know how the website works. It is a tipping system and you are not paying anyone a salary. It is none of your business how someone spends their money. If developers wanted to make their product available only to people who have supported for X months they have the ability to do so by looking at the patreon supporter logs and sending the links as DMs.

Like I said in a previous post - you dont owe a developer a monthly donation and the developer does not owe you an update. You are tipping the developer and nothing more. If you want to stop tipping then you can stop tipping anytime you want and trying to gatekeep this is stupid.

Last edited:

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Nope. As I wrote in an earlier post, I can't afford to do that. But I currently support 17 developers at relatively low levels. I have a budget for Patreon and stick to it. I am currently evaluating a few games to support (and two to drop), since my budget will allow for it. There are a bunch of good games out there.

Last edited:

geno4952

May 3, 2017
Hypocritical because he is trying to preach despite being on a piracy website and admitting to pirate games. Self righteous because he is judging how others spend their money.

Both devs and patreons know how the website works. It is a tipping system and you are not paying anyone a salary. It is none of your business how someone spends their money. If developers wanted to make their product available only to people who have supported for X months they have the ability to do so by looking at the patreon supporter logs and sending the links as DMs.

Like I said in a previous post - you dont owe a developer a monthly donation and the developer does not owe you an update. You are tipping the developer and nothing more. If you want to stop tipping then you can stop tipping anytime you want and trying to gatekeep this is stupid.
I keep reading that this is a "pirate" website. Correct me if I am wrong but aren't the games on here uploaded by the game developers? And if they are it would seem to me that they (the developers) are providing the games at no charge on a free public forum therefore they are not pirated at all, or am I missing something?

4.80 star(s) 376 Votes