botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
Man, do I hate these minigames. I did try them because I didn't want to miss out on content, but the timers are ridiculously short, so there was no fun to be had there. In the end, I only got it working with the mouse instead of the keyboard, but it was frustrating.

It's great that they are skippable, but when you then miss out on content, you could just as well play the minigames and loose. Not a fan of this approach. It's also something I don't understand from devs at all.
Like, I get it, some devs just don't want to accept that a visual novel doesn't have to have gameplay, and so they decide some stupid button-mashing NEEDS to be in their game, but don't lock content behind it, if you do.
NO ONE plays a Visual Novel for minigames, at best they are a fun distraction, at worst they break your immersion into the story and annoy you.
Don't punish players for not wanting to play them or not being good at them, this isn't a FromSoft game.

This game has great production values, looks absolutely gorgeous, great animations, good writing, fun characters, all is great, but then you lose out on content when you don't want to play minigames or for fuck's sake just don't have the energy or drive to practice pressing buttons fast enough IN A VISUAL NOVEL.

I mean, do you actually WANT to punish players for not being good at them or not wanting to play them?
Again, it's a visual novel, it's not about reflexes or learning a sequence of buttons, it's about experiencing a story. The only thing you need to do should be making choices which hopefully have an influence on that story.
It's not like adding annoying minigames suddenly turns this into a fantastic gameplay loop. You have a badass visual novel here, you are doing great, minigames don't make it more of a game or better.

And before the white-knights get their panties in a bunch, it's still a great game and I accept that this is how digi b. wants it to be, but I don't have to like that particular part of it, that doesn't mean I badmouth the game or attack the dev, I just don't like minigames locking me out of content.

Last edited:

Jxorgx

Feb 27, 2023
Hey guys, I know the recent renders are better compared to the first chapters (Played till v4).

is there any news about reworking chapters so far? I haven't been following the dev logs and have no idea about this.

tslojr

Apr 8, 2021

Artemis DevLog - CH6

Happy New Week!
To my surprise, the revised shirts arrived today. The charcoal color was more black than I had expected and came out nice. The whites especially popped, which is great as I want the cities on the back to be legible. The red was also nice and the blue is pretty cool too. I chose a different shirt material as well, and this too feels really nice. Breathable and not too thin. Feels real comfortable. Overall I'm pretty satisfied. I just ran them through the wash and they held up well. However, over time, they will begin to fade.

There's a final revision coming. I redesigned "DJ Kink" on the front of the shirt. I'll also order a few in different colors just to see what they look like and ensure the colors hold up. The website has these "preview" renders of what the design will look like. But I'll have actual pictures of the shirts so you can see how the design appears on the shirts when it comes time to put them up for sale finally.
Below is the final revision of the font and arrangement.

I did more writing and coding last week. I also purchased more assets over the weekend. Some of these are custom assets, and I'll be spending this week getting those assets DAZ ready and doing more writing.
There will most likely be no Monday devlog next week, as it's Christmas day, and I will be out of town visiting family. With that, I want to thank you all for a fantastic year. It was probably my most stressful having to prepare Steam alongside CH5 development. All while trying not to rush development but at the same time providing a timely release. Your excitement and messages about how much you enjoy Artemis are great reminders of why I push myself every release.
Again, thank you all. I greatly appreciate you guys!
Happy Holidays, and stay warm, everyone!
- digi.B

4.80 star(s) 378 Votes