VN Unity Ashes of War [Ch1.19] [CTStudio]

4.90 star(s) 20 Votes

DezMan

Jan 15, 2018
Whenever I try and open this game on mac I get a "You can't open the application because it may be damaged or incomplete" message. Has anyone else had this problem?

jufot

May 15, 2021
The Linux version appears to be packed incorrectly. The app searches for some files and directories in a specific directory (not the root of the project) and when they all fail it bails out. I tried moving everything except the files "Ashes of War 1.04 Linux.x86_64"and "UnityPlayer.so" into a "Data" directory but it only gets to the Unity splash screen and a quick flash of a loading icon before stalling out on a black screen with an enormous blue pointer.
Seconded. CTStudio please take a look at other Unity games like Paradise Lust and see how they package their Linux builds. As it stands, the build is broken and can't be worked around locally.

The game appears to busywait for X events when it is stalled out. Burns an entire CPU doing recvmsg() on the X socket after doing polls with a 0 second timeout for input events. All in all it feels like the Unity devs might want to read up on the select() system call at some point. Could save a huge amount of CPU burn.
That's a very long-standing Unity issue with no fix on the horizon. I'm pretty sure there are a few bug reports out there. It's low priority for them since it's only Linux and only for games that are misbehaving.

CTStudio

Game Developer
Jan 10, 2018
Seconded. CTStudio please take a look at other Unity games like Paradise Lust and see how they package their Linux builds. As it stands, the build is broken and can't be worked around locally.

That's a very long-standing Unity issue with no fix on the horizon. I'm pretty sure there are a few bug reports out there. It's low priority for them since it's only Linux and only for games that are misbehaving.
Hey, quite sorry, I think I screwed up the export of the Linux version. If a Linux user would be so kind as to test this version, I'd be quite grateful, as I really don't know of a way to test the export on Windows.

As for the CPU issue, I have absolutely no idea where to start. I've stumbled my way along for now, and am quite the beginner, so I think that's out of my reach for now.

Is it required t start a new game to get this update's content?
There isn't new story content yet, if you've already played it, I only added a small battle system. You can try to import your saves in the folder I mention above.

Whenever I try and open this game on mac I get a "You can't open the application because it may be damaged or incomplete" message. Has anyone else had this problem?
Same as the Linux ver, I'll try to rebuild it. Sorry about this.

Reactions: SpecterX

CTStudio

Game Developer
Jan 10, 2018
CTStudio You might also want to check your PC for malware as at least the MEGA PC link was corrupted with a virus.
Mind telling me which files are flagged as malware? And which type of malware? Also which Antivirus (or other solution you're using?
I double checked with all my exports with the two software at my disposal, and got nothing.

Last edited:

jufot

May 15, 2021
If a Linux user would be so kind as to test this version, I'd be quite grateful, as I really don't know of a way to test the export on Windows.
Thanks for making a new build! This one is correctly packaged and launches fine, but unfortunately gets stuck on a gray screen with only the cursor visible:

1679072540912.png

If you can make a development build instead of a release build, that might have useful logs.

As for the CPU issue, I have absolutely no idea where to start. I've stumbled my way along for now, and am quite the beginner, so I think that's out of my reach for now.
Oh, don't worry about that. The CPU issue is a known Unity engine bug and only happens when a game is stuck on a gray screen like here :)

CTStudio

Game Developer
Jan 10, 2018
Thanks for making a new build! This one is correctly packaged and launches fine, but unfortunately gets stuck on a gray screen with only the cursor visible:

View attachment 2475168

If you can make a development build instead of a release build, that might have useful logs.

Oh, don't worry about that. The CPU issue is a known Unity engine bug and only happens when a game is stuck on a gray screen like here :)
If you want to try, here's a another build (dev),

But I'd feel bad making you try to find what's wrong when it should be my job.
The fact I can't even test it is harsh.

poil

May 18, 2017
Mind telling me which files are flagged as malware? And which type of malware? Also which Antivirus (or other solution you're using?
I double checked with all my exports with the two software at my disposal, and got nothing.
I have the default Microsoft Windows security
It find this : Backdoor:Win32/Bladabindi!ml

During download, I got an error from the MEGA downloader so still as an incomplete file, I suspected MEGA because I had an other warning for this backdoor with it. But I tried with GOFILE and the download was also stopped.

jufot

May 15, 2021
But I'd feel bad making you try to find what's wrong when it should be my job.
The fact I can't even test it is harsh.
Not at all, I'm always happy to debug Linux builds :)

Unfortunately, this one doesn't work either. Looking at the (~/.config/unity3d/CTS/Ashes of War/Player.log) I don't see anything that could be a problem. This is all usual Unity stuff.

Are you using any plugins from the asset store, especially for video? There are some plugins that depend on Windows' media libraries so that could be the cause.

CTStudio

Game Developer
Jan 10, 2018
I have the default Microsoft Windows security
It find this : Backdoor:Win32/Bladabindi!ml

During download, I got an error from the MEGA downloader so still as an incomplete file, I suspected MEGA because I had an other warning for this backdoor with it. But I tried with GOFILE and the download was also stopped.
I'm not the one that uploaded it to Gofile, but I have tested the rest (MEGA) on multiple machines and it doesn't send back this... Strange.
And MEGA itself warned you about it? Then why the hell doesn't it do it for everyone else?

Not at all, I'm always happy to debug Linux builds :)

Unfortunately, this one doesn't work either. Looking at the (~/.config/unity3d/CTS/Ashes of War/Player.log) I don't see anything that could be a problem. This is all usual Unity stuff.

Are you using any plugins from the asset store, especially for video? There are some plugins that depend on Windows' media libraries so that could be the cause.
Well I do use assets, but the one that deals with video affirms its compatible with Linux... The menu does have an mp4 as its background that's launched when the game is... I'll try to remove it, and see if it changes something or not.

Last edited:

jufot

May 15, 2021
I tried running the Windows build under Wine using Lutris. The game launches fine, I see the menu, click New Game. The camera pans to this screen and there is fast-paced music but it gets stuck here. I couldn't figure out how to move any further.

1679076485356.png

For other Linux folks who'd like to give it a shot, here's my Lutris settings:

1679076669587.png 1679076712898.png

Reactions: Cirro84

CTStudio

Game Developer
Jan 10, 2018
I tried running the Windows build under Wine using Lutris. The game launches fine, I see the menu, click New Game. The camera pans to this screen and there is fast-paced music but it gets stuck here. I couldn't figure out how to move any further.

View attachment 2475283

For other Linux folks who'd like to give it a shot, here's my Lutris settings:

View attachment 2475287 View attachment 2475289
When you mean stuck, is it plain unresponsive, crashes or just doesn't go to the next line (and you can still access the bottom menu?)

jufot

May 15, 2021
When you mean stuck, is it plain unresponsive, crashes or just doesn't go to the next line (and you can still access the bottom menu?)
It just doesn't go to the next line. Naninovel UI is responsive, menus etc. all work.

CTStudio

Game Developer
Jan 10, 2018
It just doesn't go to the next line. Naninovel UI is responsive, menus etc. all work.
The only thing that appears here is a rich Text Element. If the animation, bgm and the rest works...
I had someone with the same problem on my itch.io... I guess it comes from the plugin I use?

poil

May 18, 2017
I'm not the one that uploaded it to Gofile, but I have tested the rest (MEGA) on multiple machines and it doesn't send back this... Strange.
And MEGA itself warned you about it? Then why the hell doesn't it do it for everyone else?
No, MEGA had a write error because Windows security deleted the file mid-download, same on Gofile.
I'm now running a complete test because it may be something else trying to hide itself in the archive during download. That would be a false alarm then.

Reactions: CTStudio
4.90 star(s) 20 Votes