Malorn

Mar 9, 2018
The biggest issue is the sheer amount of information I need to take into account even for tiny interactions like that.
Most importantly: What outfit is the girl currently wearing, and what is her corruption state? Cookie cutter events only get so far before they become detrimental to immersion and enjoyment, especially if they are repetitive and don't evolve.
With the amount of outfits most of the girls already have, the amount of events and small variations that are needed is pretty damn high.
Yep, I know exactly how you feel with the stats. I see how the outfits could drasically boost the complexity, especially if you want to do custom imagery in an event. Though some of the conversations in passing could probably use base reaction poses.

And my point is that it is not actually a minor effort. A single one of these events may be, but the absurd amount of events I'll need to make the station feel actually alive instead of conditionally alive will draw a lot of time away from direct character story progression, which is why I am so hesitant about it.
I'm not trying to imply that you should be able to do it without putting in any effort. Any development takes a huge mental effort, let alone time. It was not my intent to downplay that. You may have already done this, but consider asking your patreons about it. They are the ones paying for your work, so their opinion is far more important than mine.

Anyway, thank you very much for your detailed post!
It may sound like I'm just trying to counter your points and disagreeing with you, but replying to posts like yours help me a lot with organizing my thoughts and planning out the future of the game. I appreciate it!
I can survive a little disagreement, and I'm doing somewhat the same thing to you. Please know that if it gets tiresome, you can ask me to dial it back and I'll be happy to do so. I know that boundaries are important on the internet, and we lack many of the little social cues that would normally warn someone.

Malorn

Mar 9, 2018
isn't fun to deal with. One way I've had success is to stop branching. Only trigger events during very specific circumstances. You have to write way more events, but they are a lot easier to write.

As a bonus, you no longer need 100% coverage. If you don't have an idea for a specific interaction, you can just skip writing it.
In HHS, I got around it with complex branching that did most of my work for me. Just about every event now tracks 7 different uniform options, plus three stats. But that took us something like 6 years to get to that point. And in the end, your advice about just not doing infinite branching is the only way to do it. Some events just work with certain uniforms or certain stats, and that's that.

You can pump up those numbers, but there will always be bare patches until the next time that combination gets interest.

kallekeke

Aug 3, 2017
I keep getting this error on combat on a new save every round with simplified combat:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/def/combat/combat.rpy", line 23, in <module>
File "game/def/station/defStationDefence.rpy", line 179, in regenShield
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'nrg'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "loc/quarters.rpyc", line 4, in script call
File "loc/bridge.rpyc", line 103, in script call
File "def/combat/combat.rpyc", line 23, in script
File "renpy/ast.py", line 1111, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "renpy/python.py", line 1049, in py_exec_bytecode
exec(bytecode, globals, locals)

Windows-10-10.0.19041 AMD64
Ren'Py 7.5.0.22062402
Auriga Nine 0.4
Sat Apr 15 23:10:05 2023

Last edited:

someguy42

Jun 24, 2019
I understand Celeste's and Avery's disdain for Republicans. Avery is a noble, Celeste is programmed to serve nobles. But what's the deal with Shel? Do elves just naturally favor power hierarchies and hence authoritarian governments? Or do Republicans in this universe have nothing to do with Republics?

Note to mods: I'm strictly discussing the game's politics here.

feierflei

Protect pretty exhibitionists at all costs!
Game Developer
Jul 24, 2017
I keep getting this error on combat on a new save every round with simplified combat:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "loc/quarters.rpyc", line 4, in script call
File "loc/bridge.rpyc", line 103, in script call
File "def/combat/combat.rpyc", line 23, in script
File "renpy/ast.py", line 1111, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "renpy/python.py", line 1049, in py_exec_bytecode
exec(bytecode, globals, locals)

Windows-10-10.0.19041 AMD64
Ren'Py 7.5.0.22062402
Auriga Nine 0.4
Sat Apr 15 23:10:05 2023

Oops, I thought I had already removed the simplified combat option, my bad. It's completely broken after the last combat rework and fixing it would be too much work, so you'll have to make do with standard combat.
But if you assign a squad commander and set energy management to auto, you will have basically the same experience.

I understand Celeste's and Avery's disdain for Republicans. Avery is a noble, Celeste is programmed to serve nobles. But what's the deal with Shel? Do elves just naturally favor power hierarchies and hence authoritarian governments? Or do Republicans in this universe have nothing to do with Republics?
Shel considers Republicans to be snivelling, backstabbing, suit-wearing weaklings - which is indeed mostly due to her people's culture being highly violent, hierarchical, and authoritarian.

Note to mods: I'm strictly discussing the game's politics here.
:KEK:

Blueshirt616

Nov 2, 2021
I've just started the game and I'm getting frustrated already.
The game tells you that you need pilots for your fighters, but hasn't told me where to hire them. I figured War Room or Admin, maybe Hangar? But so far, no dice

feierflei

Protect pretty exhibitionists at all costs!
Game Developer
Jul 24, 2017
I've just started the game and I'm getting frustrated already.
The game tells you that you need pilots for your fighters, but hasn't told me where to hire them. I figured War Room or Admin, maybe Hangar? But so far, no dice
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Talk to Ada in the ready room at noon.

Blueshirt616

Nov 2, 2021
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Talk to Ada in the ready room at noon.
Finally found it, but it had gotten stuck in a bit of a loop where Ada was always somewhere else at Noon
I feel like that's something that should be available from the Station menu, rather than being tied to a person being somewhere they might not be

Tudor337

Jun 14, 2017
Maybe dumb question but are you supposed to be making money from killing the pirates? It has a popup saying that i should have it but it doesn't give the amount specified. Don't know if bug or if it is just not meant to.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Maybe dumb question but are you supposed to be making money from killing the pirates? It has a popup saying that i should have it but it doesn't give the amount specified. Don't know if bug or if it is just not meant to.
You can sell the scrap and recovered cargo.

Udayana

Oct 19, 2021
It seems it's still impossible to increase Life Support above level 3, which blocks several improvements of the station, or is there some way to do it that I haven't found?

MrPles4nt

Dec 25, 2022
Starting an economics degree so I can really dominate the trade system in this game

Wish me luck, see yas in 4 years

• Haha
Reactions: mrttao
4.50 star(s) 14 Votes