Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
TBH, it's actually less convoluted...that's the purpose of the condition switch function...it's more powerful for image switching than basic if/else conditionals... way more powerful. It's used for complex hot swaps and designed specifically for that purpose within the RenPy language build (it's not a native Python language-based function but a native RenPy language-based function written in Python (obviously)).
That's interesting... I may experiment with them now, you have my curiosity up. The headaches of learning new methods, I'm an old C (not C++) programmer set in his ways. LMAO... though I did once program my own vector functions for C, just to see if I could do it. :) (I'm comfortable with pointers and memory access)

indio68

Engaged Member
Sep 26, 2020
can't belive thatt every damn update save game wont work..i'm really pissed off about this game now..it's been the 4 timer i need tor estart all ove4r..really dev??

Zephea

Engaged Member
Sep 7, 2019
can't belive thatt every damn update save game wont work..i'm really pissed off about this game now..it's been the 4 timer i need tor estart all ove4r..really dev??
If you grab v8.1 they should work. Mine did not with version 8.0, but 8.1 fixed it. If you have 8.1 and they still do not work - the Dev should be around here. :>)

indio68

Engaged Member
Sep 26, 2020
i downloaded the toprrent from rpdl..and it says is vers 0,81...installed sancho mod and save doesn't works

Zephea

Engaged Member
Sep 7, 2019
i downloaded the toprrent from rpdl..and it says is vers 0,81...installed sancho mod and save doesn't works
Sorry, dunno, I do not use the Torrents nor do I use the Sancho Mod. All I know is the one I downloaded (a Compressed version) works just fine with my Saves.

Oct 22, 2017
The above choice skipping is NOT ever recommended if the Player is planning to save at all afterwards. You explained why enough as to the point that this should never really be used (only as a very last resort). Reason: if there ever is an issue where a dev changes a conditional structure, main var, or other critical code near the point of new save point there will be no rollback info in the save file for RenPy to use and it will throw an exception almost 99% of the time.

Just an FYI... standard skipping (fast-forward) is 100% OK, choice skipping is not. This has been my experience when developing and troubleshooting thousands upon thousands of issues in the past... so take it with a grain of salt or two... or don't, it's solid advice though. Regards.
I myself only use the forward-skipping, the choice-skipping I tried only a few times.
Thanks for the additional info though.
It makes total sense, it just wasn't on the forefront of my mind, as my mindset was, that if you play on afterward, the early content skipped shouldn't be of importance anymore, as that indeed shouldn't be subject to such changes anymore, and in case something broke later you could just skip to your last save again.
I'm pretty relaxed toward saves in general though, even when I was skipping with a pressed Ctrl key through DMD and such.
As others said - these VNs are mostly WIP. Yes, I roll my eyes sometimes, but if I like the content enough, it's no real drama for me if a save breaks - unless the game really needs a WT and has had a lot of choices already.

Reactions: tyrannicpuppy

indio68

Engaged Member
Sep 26, 2020
damn was a really short update as usual...so many months for \10 minuts gameplay...this will take forever uff. a pity cuz i like the story and char, but man this is so slow moving with these short updates ..:(

indio68

Engaged Member
Sep 26, 2020
do saves work on un-modded?
yes ..so i just followed sancho kind advice ...loaded my last old save,went to the first choice scene , rolled back - saved- installed mod again and ta daaaa now save load with mod isntalled...even if it trow me back some time...but i now can complete the small update (as usual)..a pity that all this shanigan for a 10 minuts gameplay, after so many month of waiting...:rolleyes::cry:

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Now that we have you sorted I've uploaded fresh version of the mod so you shouldn't have to go through that process you and I went through with your saves. Simply re-DL the mod and install over existing mod if you wish. I converted the pointers to work with saves pre-v0.8.0 and post v0.8.0 exactly as the unmodded VN currently does (since it's now known the v0.8.0 script rpyc's were regen'd). So, if a save will load unmodded then it will modded too.

Last edited:

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
SanchoNote for future VN builds (modded or unmodded)

The generational RenPy content of the scripts in v0.8.0 are NOT the same as v0.8.1. For those that understand RenPy the rpyc's of v0.8.0 were all newly generated (regenerated) compared to v0.8.1. This reset all the previous generation RenPy save/load system pointers and another root cause of the latest rollback issues some folks are having. Therefore this will be a problem for more than a few folks attempting to load v0.8.0 saves inside v0.8.1 (and assuming future VN versions) whether unmodded or modded. Again, this particular issue being addressed is loading saves made in v0.8.0 inside v0.8.1 and later VN versions and will have zero effect if your issue is a save prior to v0.8.0

But there's hope if you are down for a bit of work... I can likely save your save (see what I did there?). The following are instructions for both modded and unmodded Players, simply adjust accordingly.

If your v0.8.0 save does not load in future v0.8.1+ then let's create a "conversion" VN installation in a differently named folder/directory:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Is this a PITA? Yes.
Will it work? Likely over 90% success rate so probably yes.
Thank me later. Regards.

Edit: Put instructions in a spoiler to prevent "wall of text" nuisance.
It's actually the other way around, I don't know why or when, but the rpyc's for 0.8 are different from the previous releases, that's what caused the big save issue.
0.8.1 uses the old, pre-0.8 rpyc's again. If you tell people to use the 0.8 rpyc's, then they'll have problems in the next release again, so it's easier to just play 0.8.1 with the pre 0.8 save.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
yes ..so i just followed sancho kind advice ...loaded my last old save,went to the first choice scene , rolled back - saved- installed mod again and ta daaaa now save load with mod isntalled...even if it trow me back some time...but i now can complete the small update (as usual)..a pity that all this shanigan for a 10 minuts gameplay, after so many month of waiting...:rolleyes::cry:
10 minutes is a bit far fetched, if you only follow a single route or two, then you're cutting content for yourself. Play all routes if you want more content.

Reactions: tyrannicpuppy

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
It's actually the other way around, I don't know why or when, but the rpyc's for 0.8 are different from the previous releases, that's what caused the big save issue.
0.8.1 uses the old, pre-0.8 rpyc's again. If you tell people to use the 0.8 rpyc's, then they'll have problems in the next release again, so it's easier to just play 0.8.1 with the pre 0.8 save.
No bud, read the post again... the temporary "conversion" installation is simply using the v0.8.0 to load v0.8.0, then making new saves to load inside v0.8.1 without error to make a newly correct v0.8.1 save. The issue I'm addressing is for folks who made saves while using v0.8.0... not any other version.

See? I'm fixing the v0.8.0 saves to be correct. The post has nothing to do with v0.7.5 and previous saves. My file name is likely mis-named but I wasn't thinking the name would carry over like it did... I'll sort that.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
No bud, read the post again... the temporary "conversion" installation is simply using the v0.8.0 to load v0.8.0, then making new saves to load inside v0.8.1 without error to make a newly correct v0.8.1 save. The issue I'm addressing is for folks who made saves while using v0.8.0... not any other version.

See? I'm fixing the v0.8.0 saves to be correct. The post has nothing to do with v0.7.5 and previous saves. My file name is likely mis-named but I wasn't thinking the name would carry over like it did... I'll sort that.
Ah, sorry, I read a lot of posts before I answered, you're correct.
But for people who didn't play the game for the first time with 0.8, it would probably be easier to just load a pre-0.8 save.

4.40 star(s) 202 Votes