turgsh01

Apr 13, 2020
Dev said the saves should work with latest update, it didn't. I went from v7.5 with sancho mod to v8.1 with latest sancho mod, I didn't waste my time with the beta. 3 of my saves crashed to desktop. Had to go back to just before Rachel lewd scene for it to work. Thankfully, I plan for things like that by making a lot of saves (as it happens with a lot of AVNs in development) and the updates for this game are so small it doesn't take long at all to get back to the new content. And on the bright side, it was a decent refresher since I had no idea what the story was about anymore.

The female MC also has a dark grey boob during the lewd animation with Jada. She definitely needs to go see a doctor about that.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Dev said the saves should work with latest update, it didn't. I went from v7.5 with sancho mod to v8.1 with latest sancho mod, I didn't waste my time with the beta. 3 of my saves crashed to desktop. Had to go back to just before Rachel lewd scene for it to work. Thankfully, I plan for things like that by making a lot of saves (as it happens with a lot of AVNs in development) and the updates for this game are so small it doesn't take long at all to get back to the new content. And on the bright side, it was a decent refresher since I had no idea what the story was about anymore.

The female MC also has a dark grey boob during the lewd animation with Jada. She definitely needs to go see a doctor about that.
Looks like there is some sort of incompatibility with the mod, see here.
...and the dark grey boob...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

• Haha
Reactions: WaerM

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
I assumed that was more of a nod to the forum theories who had speculated ages ago that Ellie set the fire to force the MC to need a place to live.
Well, having her standing there on the way to the former apartment building was very provocative. Perhaps it was a red herring, but with a damaged semi-feral 17-year-old, it was a suspicious placement. Perhaps she was just wanting too visit him at his new apartment, but it was hard not to be suspicious.

Reactions: damnedfrog

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
That'd be true usually, but there's a heavy history with that cop, regarding the MC on top of it. Since the other cop is well aware of it all, and he's a good cop, it would more than likely happen the way it happened there in many countries with those circumstances.
In the real world, it would not have been resolved that night.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
True....
"But Jonathan, I was hit over the head by the girl the MC killed..."
Yeah, I don't think it's that unrealistic when Ward is that deranged (and disliked by his co-workers, IIRC) and the family is also close friends with a much more high-ranking cop.

Oct 22, 2017
They should have their shit together long before this. Have a flowchart and all variables there from the start. Nobody wants to start again from the beginning after hours of play. No sane person anyway. I patron games that will work with saves from like 2019. I've dropped patronage from several games that made old saves not work. Not hard to set it up so all that shit is set from the start. Remember the 7 P's. Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
Just as a general heads up, if saves in a Renpy game break, you don't have to play through the game completely again.
The more choices there are, the more tedious it gets though to use these shortcuts.

Renpy has multiple ways to get to where you were.

Unless a dev deactivated the corresponding options, you can skip through the game by pressing Ctrl.
What exactly is skipped and what stops you from skipping further can be set in the settings:
(Default like this is skipping through known content and stopping at choices, so this activates where you want to skip in addition to that.)
1682503252461.png

You can also press Tab, which will automatically skip based on your settings until it stops, without the need to keep a key pressed. Ctrl gives you better control and skipping in bursts though in case you might want to stop in between somewhere.
Pressing Tab again ends the auto-skip.
Same if you click on the 'skip' button in the Renpy in-game menu:
1682503269417.png

Lastly, you can right-click the 'skip' button and get this dialog:
1682503289328.png
The advantage is, that Tab/the skip button actually runs through every screen and takes its time. That's great if you still want to skim through the story to remember, but not if you just want to get there without waiting some minutes in case of a more content-heavy game.
This option however literally just jumps to the next choice without context. This also means you can't scroll back here - because there is no rollback sequence generated by automatically running through the game.
It also means however that depending on the number of choices between you and the point you want to reach, this will be WAY faster.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Lastly, you can right-click the 'skip' button and get this dialog:
View attachment 2574358
The advantage is, that Tab/the skip button actually runs through every screen and takes its time. That's great if you still want to skim through the story to remember, but not if you just want to get there without waiting some minutes in case of a more content-heavy game.
This option however literally just jumps to the next choice without context. This also means you can't scroll back here - because there is no rollback sequence generated by automatically running through the game.
It also means however that depending on the number of choices between you and the point you want to reach, this will be WAY faster.
The above choice skipping is NOT ever recommended if the Player is planning to save at all afterwards. You explained why enough as to the point that this should never really be used (only as a very last resort). Reason: if there ever is an issue where a dev changes a conditional structure, main var, or other critical code near the point of new save point there will be no rollback info in the save file for RenPy to use and it will throw an exception almost 99% of the time.

Just an FYI... standard skipping (fast-forward) is 100% OK, choice skipping is not. This has been my experience when developing and troubleshooting thousands upon thousands of issues in the past... so take it with a grain of salt or two... or don't, it's solid advice though. Regards.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Sancho's mod still crashes with that saved game load, but your 8.1 fix (without the mod) loads no problem.

One other issue I had was with a couple screens that show the female perspective when I am playing a male. Well, I managed to track down the problem on my own, and it's a simple fix.

In "events_mc.rpy" on line 4098 and 4101, you forget to check the MC's gender and you show female screens only for a couple screens. I was traumatized when breasts appeared and my penix vanished! ;)
That's fixed with Meushi's hotfix
Note that Meushi's hotfix is also included within the mod's v0.8.1 update as noted in the post here. If the Player installs his hotfix directly on top of the mod it won't do anything new nor will it hurt anything either (Meushi and I have worked several times together or simultaneously in the past and we rarely step on one-another's toes). Just know it's already in place (to be fully clear). Regards.

MrLKX

Jan 12, 2021
Nobody sayd it's resolved, but I won't include the whole process, that'd be boring af :HideThePain:
Could be my particular sense of humor, but at least in snippets I would find it funny. On the other hand, I always find it funny when streamers think that donations from Twitch are tax-free and then get a letter from the IRS.

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
Note that Meushi's hotfix is also included within the mod's v0.8.1 update as noted in the post here. If the Player installs his hotfix directly on top of the mod it won't do anything new nor will it hurt anything either (Meushi and I have worked several times together or simultaneously in the past and we rarely step on one-another's toes). Just know it's already in place (to be fully clear). Regards.
I checked the 8.1 code and it was not fixed.

Here's the code extracted straight from the unmodded 8.1 game...

From lines 4095 - 4101 in file events_mc.rpy...
Python:
label d12ward:
    stop music fadeout 2
    n "WHAAA!" with hpunch
    scene d12mfun33_ with dissolve
    mc "What the...?!"
    m "What's going on, who was that?"
    scene d12mfun34_ with dissolve
It doesn't check for gender at all on those two scene lines.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I checked the 8.1 code and it was not fixed.

Here's the code extracted straight from the unmodded 8.1 game...

From lines 4095 - 4101 in file events_mc.rpy...
Python:
label d12ward:
    stop music fadeout 2
    n "WHAAA!" with hpunch
    scene d12mfun33_ with dissolve
    mc "What the...?!"
    m "What's going on, who was that?"
    scene d12mfun34_ with dissolve
It doesn't check for gender at all on those two scene lines.
Meushi's fix and the mod's fix doesn't resolve it there. It resolves it in the image switches. You're looking in the wrong place bud. The base VN doesn't have the fix itself. As recreation noted that for folks to just use Meushi's fix if unmodded and if modded it's already done.

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
Meushi's fix and the mod's fix doesn't resolve it there. It resolves it in the image switches. You're looking in the wrong place bud. The base VN doesn't have the fix itself. As recreation noted that for folks to just use Meushi's fix if unmodded and if modded it's already done.
Ah, I see it now, in conditions.rpy... that seems like a convoluted way to do things. Ah well, replaying the game from the beginning, I went through the code looking for certain variables for a path I wanted to try then set up something to indicate what to choose on my own. Problem solved. :)

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Ah, I see it now, in conditions.rpy... that seems like a convoluted way to do things. Ah well, replaying the game from the beginning, I went through the code looking for certain variables for a path I wanted to try then set up something to indicate what to choose on my own. Problem solved. :)
TBH, it's actually less convoluted...that's the purpose of the condition switch function...it's more powerful for image switching than basic if/else conditionals... way more powerful. It's used for complex hot swaps and designed specifically for that purpose within the RenPy language build (it's not a native Python language-based function but a native RenPy language-based function written in Python (obviously)).

Reactions: Night Hacker
4.40 star(s) 202 Votes