SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
SeventhVixen
Um just started the game ... the engine is quite laggy and everything takes a bit of time ...but ... is that a Shadiversity homage in there?

View attachment 670578
Yep :p A little easter egg.

In some systems it may be laggier, but in nearly every update I made improvements to performance.

The only resource the game really use is CPU, because doesn't even use 2gb of ram (unless you have a really old GPU), so just make sure there are not many other software chugging up your processes!

Trasher2018

Engaged Member
Aug 21, 2018
Yep :p A little easter egg.

In some systems it may be laggier, but in nearly every update I made improvements to performance.

The only resource the game really use is CPU, because doesn't even use 2gb of ram (unless you have a really old GPU), so just make sure there are not many other software chugging up your processes!
^^

I have a i7 4790k @4GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GF 1070 ... so I think that should be enough, even if that is an older CPU. But the game feels quite slow in transitions and stuff. But I played the 0.12 version. Maybe the latest is better.

Edit: And maybe I will try it without Bluestacks running Black Desert Mobile on the 2nd monitor ... :rolleyes:

SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
^^

I have a i7 4790k @4GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GF 1070 ... so I think that should be enough, even if that is an older CPU. But the game feels quite slow in transitions and stuff. But I played the 0.12 version. Maybe the latest is better.

Edit: And maybe I will try it without Bluestacks running Black Desert Mobile on the 2nd monitor ... :rolleyes:
Well is different laggy than slow. I think I put the frame cap to 90 in last version, in order to not spoil the new high frame animations. With that frame cap, it should work good both in older and newer computer that should be able to run it.

The places where Lag can be noticed sometimes is changing levels (usually changing towns) or when using Fast modes and there are camera transitions and lots of things going on.

I cannot help much level loading in Unity, and I guess players prefer having fast modes availables.. xD

enkephalin07

Dec 13, 2017
I hit a block after choosing to make no deal with the Mayor. Now I can't get those options again. I've gathered all the information and hit every other encounter available in his town, the only other locations I can visit don't get me any opportunity to improve affinity with him, and I still can't re-discuss the terms of his allegiance.

EDIT: Alright, I got it, but I really object that the only path is FAILURE because of artificial obstructions such as these:
1590546096217.png
1590545897323.png

Last edited:

Joey the mangaka

Sep 18, 2018
I hit a block after choosing to make no deal with the Mayor. Now I can't get those options again. I've gathered all the information and hit every other encounter available in his town, the only other locations I can visit don't get me any opportunity to improve affinity with him, and I still can't re-discuss the terms of his allegiance.

EDIT: Alright, I got it, but I really object that the only path is FAILURE because of artificial obstructions such as these:
View attachment 671612
View attachment 671610
Ch 1 y 2 its the citys of khatia.
Only for the moment.
Penketh, leffrin ,akros manor , kaelkirt, hartlepool. Soon grassmere

enkephalin07

Dec 13, 2017
1590553779738.png
Why is inventory access absent from this dialog? Or any dialog, for that matter? It just makes the interface futzier to wade back and forth through dialog trees to access the items or information that could resolve them.

SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019

The game you are playing is not complete. Those artificial obstructions are there because the content is not in the game yet.
Samewise, is been told several times that chapter 1 will be reworked in order to not need to finish penketh's deal when all chapter 2 locations are ready. Only time you are forced to make something is the first fake acceptance of a bad deal in Penketh.

View attachment 671677
Why is inventory access absent from this dialog? Or any dialog, for that matter? It just makes the interface futzier to wade back and forth through dialog trees to access the items or information that could resolve them.
Because
1) a very few conversations where is inconvenient not having the inventory at hand...
vs
2) dozens hours more of code each update.
and
3) the moments where is important to really show every item in "a conversation" is negotiations, when it is really needed.

As an example, Broken Sword series is on the few end of graphic adventures that allow dialogue options at the same time as inventory access (because is important to ask everyone about every item). But I'm not building the game like that, is usually very clear what you need to give to someone... unless it ends on easter egg territory.

enkephalin07

Dec 13, 2017
2) dozens hours more of code each update.
Are you implying that you code a separate dialog interface for every individual encounter? Why not integrate the menu and inventory into an interface applied to every conversation? Even if you don't forsee much need for it now, it'll be terribly useful in cases that you do, and it'll give you a lot of flexibility to change your mind about the ones that don't need it now.

SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
Are you implying that you code a separate dialog interface for every individual encounter? Why not integrate the menu and inventory into an interface applied to every conversation? Even if you don't forsee much need for it now, it'll be terribly useful in cases that you do, and it'll give you a lot of flexibility to change your mind about the ones that don't need it now.
No, I was talking about inventory interactions. Making possible showing 30 different items to every person where is no need to show them anything to always read "I won't give that to him/I don't need to show him this" is pointless. There is lots of times in the game when you can talk to people and you don't have to interact never with them with items. Is more a graphic adventure than other thing, but not in the aspect of puzzles thru inventory items. The people I allow inventory interactions, for the most part, I try to write those interactions colorfull, unless is a One thing One inventory time like Hall or Father Charles in the lobby.

But in the case I could code that in conversations where I could show the inventory and when I could show not; there are more times when no inventory use applies to a conversation, than times when it applies (Probably a 95% to 5% ocasions). Let's say some early example of where are you, for example, the Tarot with Minerva. Every time there is a choice, should the inventory pop out to let you ask to Minerva about your money bag breaking the flow of the conversation? No. That means I'll code that for having it inactive in 95% of the conversations, where I have already coded the Negotiation system.

That doesn't mean that I won't change the system if in the future if in majority makes sense in another way, I'm always updating the engine... You are right that having more options are good for the future, but is not a priority right now. And is not a priority like I'm being a lazy ass, I already spend more than 10 hours daily making the game.

enkephalin07

Dec 13, 2017
Caught Daisy cheating here. On her 2nd turn this knight made an illegal move, on her 3rd turn she didn't make any move.
1590610384037.png

Joey the mangaka

Sep 18, 2018
Path to 0.13.Part2 - Devlog II
Progress:
This month –not over yet but- has passed like a breeze, between releases, fixes, engine updates, and coding –some important new systems coded for the future-. Now everything is more or less in place and I’m just rendering those extra scenes while I try not to die from the heat (both the one from the street and the one coming from my computer xD). I won’t say is not been hard to not been able to just take a day off and go out to the street to restart my brain after the release, due to the quarantine, but I'm pretty sure many people had quite a harder time.

As many work was ready before, and I'm getting up to date with everything (database maintenance, adding/making models, getting things ready, render testing, preparing scenes..), were sitting already at 900 renders between stills and 10 animations. Half of those animations were rendered before I got the new graphics cards so they’re not excessively big on frames, and could do a upgrade yet. But I’ll focus on getting the essential content for all the update first so everything that is not strictly necessary don't hinder the release down. But there will be more animations in the update, that's sure.

I'll leave you the updated map to help figure what was in Part 1 and what will be in Part 2 as the original plan went:

As you can see what was originally six and six scenes quickly grew when all details need to be put in place to tie all the story, and same needed to happen in Part 2, reason for the split in two parts. Not going to say estimates about release so I don't stress myself but if nothing wrong happens is to be expected next month; All goes to the details of how many extra scenes I consider that are needed to be around.
Some personal notes (purchases):
Is not even summer and the heat is hitting hard, and the new graphics card is showing it. While its temperature was normal under full load for a long period of time (70-75%), other parts of the computer are getting the hit. As I foreseen the CPU is starting to get quite quite hot when I’m rendering and working on many things at the same time; right now if outside temperature is 25-30º, the main card gets up to 85ºC, secondary up to 70ºC, and the cpu nearly to 80ºC (and while now is "safe", the problem is that is not even summer)
I even did a long delayed thing, getting the computer on a better place so it can get better ventilation and I don’t suffer sudden burst of heat to my face coming from below the desk from time to time xD. It has helped a bit with idle temps, but when is working on heavy load there is not much that can help about with that inferno.
Last summer my liquid cooling for the CPU died and I had to go with the stock intel fan. That was enough with the old graphic cards really. But now is time to get a real fan for the CPU. I hope that will help making the computer survive the summer until I can save enough money for a proper new working rig, with a hundred fans, liquid cooling and whatnot, all what is need to work with no worries.
And of course a new big Hard Drive, as my old HD were choking a bit with all those 3d custom boobs ;)
So I’ll endure the weekend trying to not pressure the CPU much more, and hope I can get a new decent fan by the start of the week.
Have a nice weekend if you can!!
PS:
Monthly Girl poll will arrive this weekend.

enkephalin07

Dec 13, 2017
I really love some of these character designs, and their expressiveness. There's a smooth dynamic composition between frames that make the story flow smoothly and give the impression of animation so well that when I remember some scenes I played, they're animated in my memory. I've only been criticizing up to now, but sincerely, this story is well done.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

enkephalin07

Dec 13, 2017
You're using the word 'mayor' and 'major' interchangeably, but they aren't the same thing. A major is a commissioned military officer and a mayor is an elected government executive. They're sort of similar in the hierarchy, but even that's an oversimplification.

Fast Mode and Skip Mode remain active when combats begin, and it makes them more difficult than they need to be.

The transition between cuddling Iva and returning to Hartlespool is a very long blackout with no progress indicators. It's difficult to tell whether the game has frozen or not, so I shut down and restarted several times.

If you sort saves by date, descending order, it's much easier to reload from last save, and to understand the chronology of your past saves. Would you consider captioning the thumbnails with game date, too?

4.40 star(s) 57 Votes