ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018

Unlocked

This week I completed the checklist from last week.
I've added songs and sound effects, fixed GUIs and code, and playtested several branches. I've also processed my dialogue for grammar/typos, parsing 350 pages.
I only have polishing and playtesting left while the remaining animation queue renders. When I polish, I add renders here and there and modify scenes/content/writing/coding to improve everything. As a result, there are currently over 4900 renders for Episode 9.
Comparing the size of the development folders for Episode Interlude (2.51 GB) and Episode 9 (6.78 GB), there is an increase of roughly 4.27 GB for Episode 9 alone. I estimate an additional 100-200 MB size increase for the remaining animations.
The content of the interlude and episode 9 surpass the entire Season 1 of Being a DIK (~6.2 GB), which is reflected in the increased development times that I know everyone is feeling. I have also significantly increased the render quality of both static renders and animations for episode 9, as you can see from the previews I posted; this impacted render times.
267 animations are completed. The render queue has 36 animations of varied lengths left to render.
I've estimated the remaining render time to be between 4-5 weeks. It will hopefully be faster since one of the remaining lewd scenes is slightly more demanding than the rest of the animations.
I'll keep you updated on this progress weekly until it's done.
I have alerted my testers and proofreader, and they will start work as soon as the animations are completed.
I aim for a December release, but please stay tuned for the actual release date. I will announce it on Patreon/Discord/Twitter after beta testing has started.
Have a nice weekend
Dr PinkCake
Wows, it's like the numbers have finally broken loose and DPC's decided to give us a nice countdown to beta testing rather than try to contain them. He completed over 13 static renders this week, but much more importantly he completed 9 animations, 50% more than last week. His overall average is holding relatively steady at ~140 statics and 7.6 renders per week since the Interlude launched. Here are the charts:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Last week I said DPC would need to average at least 9 animations per week to have a realistic shot at a mid-December release (before the holidays would get a chance to derail testing). This week DPC tacitly agreed, cranking out 9 renders and expecting to complete the artwork by the first or second week of December. :cool:

Since DPC has a better sense of how extensive the remaining animations are than we do, I think we can be a little optimistic that he's hoping the animations will be on the quicker side of that estimate. Still, there's not much margin for error, and we all know DPC's his own worst enemy when it comes to leaving well enough alone. Let's hope for the best, but I'm not counting any chickens until he announces a date.

Darkwen

Forum Fanatic
Nov 10, 2020
puts tinfoil hat on
I may sound like one of those crazy conspiracy theorists but with him actually acknowledging this problem I think that when he posted that status update where he said something like "THIS UPDATE IS SO GOOD" he was already expecting shit to hit the fan when patrons realized they wouldn't be getting the episode this month so he decided to hype it up further to try and somewhat mitigate the meltdown.
Thats like telling a girl your going to give her a big load of cum you do but you only after teasing her pussy being up for 3 seconds

UnoriginalUserName

Engaged Member
Sep 3, 2017
Reading through the 8 pages of comments I missed since taking a nap and it occurred to me that this update is probably going to be fucking Maya-focused. Just. Fucking. Super. Bitch is dead fucking last in the popularity polls and is attached to Josy because..."reasons"...I guess because nobody would bother with her ass if Josy wasn't included.
I'm really, REALLY hoping for an option to hook her up with Zoey so they can ride off into the sunset (and off a fucking cliff) together.

DarkKiller

Sep 3, 2016
Thats like telling a girl your going to give her a big load of cum you do but you only after teasing her pussy being up for 3 seconds
It's reverse psychology, some patrons might have been pissed otherwise, but because DPC is hyping the episode so much and they take his word as gospel, instead they just get on the hype train and help him fight back against the people who criticize the long development period.

Darkwen

Forum Fanatic
Nov 10, 2020
It's reverse psychology, some patrons might have been pissed otherwise, but because DPC is hyping the episode so much and they take his word as gospel, instead they just get on the hype train and help him fight back against the people who criticize the long development period.
Right its a good way keep hype up when done right but this reverse psychology can have a reverse affect on people as can be seen here and even more so on reddit

Aug 6, 2017
Reading through the 8 pages of comments I missed since taking a nap and it occurred to me that this update is probably going to be fucking Maya-focused. Just. Fucking. Super. Bitch is dead fucking last in the popularity polls and is attached to Josy because..."reasons"...I guess because nobody would bother with her ass if Josy wasn't included.
I'm really, REALLY hoping for an option to hook her up with Zoey so they can ride off into the sunset (and off a fucking cliff) together.
or just ignore that bullshit like i have being trying to do since fuck ep4

Reactions: UnoriginalUserName

Lightaces

Aug 3, 2018
I don't want short updates, never liked them and they are infuriating when you wait months for an hour of gameplay. He just needs to buy a damn RTX4090 to speed up the rendering of those fucking slow animations.

The 4090 is having problems with DAZ, apparently. Not sure if DPC is still rendering in DAZ, I suspect he is using Blender or something similar at this point, so it may not be an issue, but none the less, DAZ doesn't play great with the 4090 yet.

Reactions: Bubba McSmith

QuixoteTheDon

May 18, 2017
Well he is aiming for a december release... dont think it will work out. 5 weeks still to go for the animations, and only after those are done the play-testers will start to test the game for him. Which will take some time too... maybe 1-2 weeks. And i dont think it will be perfect than, so he has to do some fixing here and there... another week gone.

I said it before, if hes not able to release it a week before christmas, i dont believe he will release it during or short after christmas. The release will be somewhat stressful too, is he really willing to ruin his christmas and new year with a stressful release? dont think so. In my book, he has about 6 weeks from now to get it done if he want to release it this year... and thats not realisitc anymore.

So... it will be January. Would surprise me if hes gonna make it in december... but i think we can be very sure that it will be early january at the latest.
Nah, he's gonna release it on Friday, December the 16th. I'm having my office party that day

office party.jpg
then I'm coming back to play the new update
badik.png
badik2.JPG

AND YES!!! JILLYBEAN IS DA BEST!!!
your-so-hot-ted.gif

QuixoteTheDon

May 18, 2017
DPC replied to a comment on Patreon:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
All well and good. But there is a solution to longer and longer development time. HIRE A TEAM! Positive aspects of that decision far outweigh the negative ones. But he's anal retentive and a control freak, so... Little to no chance of it ever happening.

Reactions: SomboSteel

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
The 4090 is having problems with DAZ, apparently. Not sure if DPC is still rendering in DAZ, I suspect he is using Blender or something similar at this point, so it may not be an issue, but none the less, DAZ doesn't play great with the 4090 yet.
What kind of problems?

mpa71

Dec 18, 2017
I don't want short updates, never liked them and they are infuriating when you wait months for an hour of gameplay. He just needs to buy a damn RTX4090 to speed up the rendering of those fucking slow animations.
View attachment 2146828
It's easy to see that after Episode 6 he bought new equipment and needs to do it all over again.
To defend, the real indicator about that is now the sA/D (secondsAnimations per Days) which I can only check when the game is released, which is the total animation time. For example:
  • the Interlude as 36 animations for 4 min 36 secs
  • when Episode 3 as 99 animations for 4 min 42 secs.
This is caused because DPC now assemble multiple animations in one and create longer, Interlude have truly 51 angle-animations after check. With that +40% in mind, and since he said he wants to do more of these cinematic style, EP9 could have 424 angle/animations and not 303.
  • If the actual 267 animations have that +40%, it would be 374 true number, and so an A/D ratio of 1.53, like EP7.

That's highly speculative since DPC don't communicate as AnimationsTime or TrueTotal but FullyCompleted; I might remove that A/D metric value as it's no longer the norm and might give indeed confusion or interpretation. :coffee:

shazba

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
Just a little optimistic perspective to share regarding the duration of episode 9's development.

A lot of popular games here follow a tradition of a Halloween and/or a Christmas special. I find these tedious as they are typically a complete break from the game's canon. It's painful because it has nothing to do with the story other than using the same characters (even if some of them aren't even in character for the special), and obviously the main game development grinds to a halt during this process.

We've already had the deviation of the Interlude that many feel was highly unnecessary, so if DPC took another break from the game's core just to do a random Halloween special, that'd be another kick in the balls.

Instead, we have a fully integrated Halloween special embedded into the main story. An episode, and a special, all rolled into one. Where instead of a deviation from the main story, the Halloween component continues the story. I'd rather that, than a special, anytime.

So, at the end of the day, or year as the case may be... When episode 9 comes out, it'll be episode 9 plus a special. Perhaps justifying the excessive wait this episode has enforced on us. And perhaps future episodes won't be this long.

Like I said, an optimistic perspective, even if shrouded in delusion. :p

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
To defend, the real indicator about that is now the sA/D (secondsAnimations per Days) which I can only check when the game is released, which is the total animation time. For example:
  • the Interlude as 36 animations for 4 min 36 secs
  • when Episode 3 as 99 animations for 4 min 42 secs.
This is caused because DPC now assemble multiple animations in one and create longer, Interlude have truly 51 angle-animations after check. With that +40% in mind, and since he said he wants to do more of these cinematic style, EP9 could have 424 angle/animations and not 303.
  • If the actual 267 animations have that +40%, it would be 374 true number, and so an A/D ratio of 1.53, like EP7.

That's highly speculative since DPC don't communicate as AnimationsTime or TrueTotal but FullyCompleted; I might remove that A/D metric value as it's no longer the norm and might give indeed confusion or interpretation. :coffee:
A very interesting topic, and as a person of technical culture, I easily understood you. But one inconsistency raises a question in this investigation. If there are really 424 animations, not 303, and if there are really more of them than in Ep.8 ... then why Ep.9 is less? Only 4.5GB of space for pure Ep.9 without Interlude, while Ep.8 is 5GB. Animations take up disk space, Ep.9 should have been larger and weighed around 6-7GB in that case, long animations should be heavier.
Or maybe I'm wrong about something, or their long and difficult rendering is the fault of the new visual effects, which require additional calculations.

schinoize

Jun 8, 2021
I don't know. Imo, if you wanted to close ranks in the wake of incoming pushback against long development time, wouldn't you first tell me the bad news, then hype me up. Ideally do it at the same time. Don't hype me up 6+ weeks before release (2 weeks before telling me the bad news). I doubt it's possible to keep the hype train going for that long. At least it wouldn't work with me.
Instead of an attempt to hype up supporters, I rather think it truly was/is his opinion about the update and he couldn't hold back. He then got caught off guard by the amount of negative responses to the long development period.

Last edited:
Reactions: ename144

Tremonia

Queen Lydia's bitch
Donor
Jun 14, 2020
So, now I've been pulled from this OP too? WTF... really? All those mods listed and I'm the only one pulled after the OP was "updated" a few days ago?
Maybe a mistake? I can't see why anyone should do this.
But there is a solution to longer and longer development time. HIRE A TEAM!
How many times DPC should say he don't want hire a team and he gives a shit about the time and he will do this thing in his own way? It's absolutely pointless to debate this every two days.

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
Yeah... Animations take longer to process in proportion to how much stuff you stuff on a scene... And each stuff has its own peculiarities, like, some hair takes fucking long to render... So each case is one thing... And also animations are collections of images, so, unless someone is using a lossless format, there are always differences in size according to the complexity of the images. Like, an animation of a bald nude dude running on emptiness (literally) would have a smaller size than an animation of the same length of this same guy, fully clothed and with hair, running on a full scene with many objects of different colors.
On the other hand, a smart dev can always optimize stuff since things are moving and don't need the same quality of static renders. But DPC seems to me to be the anal kind of guy (in the Freudian sense and not necessarily related to stuffing things in the butt), so I don't know if he really does that... Maybe he wants his magnum opus to have Ultra HD 120 FPS lossless quality even though nobody would notice any difference...
And also dynamic shadows and reflections, lighting system, potential RTX ON ... Yes, I understand this all takes time to calculate. And what I saw on Bella's last preview, DPC is just a fucking maniac :LOL:
Maybe he wants his magnum opus to have Ultra HD 120 FPS
4K will someday enter the daily life of gaming, but not now. It is too expensive and difficult, and the bygone era of mining has slowed down the transition. But Quad HD with 2560x1440 is already becoming a reality.
steam_stats.PNG

Reactions: The Dick

shazba

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
How many times DPC should say he don't want hire a team and he gives a shit about the time and he will do this thing in his own way? It's absolutely pointless to debate this every two days.
I'll never understand the people who get worked up over this. He won't hire a team because he doesn't want to. He doesn't need to. He will not be personally benefited in any way whatsoever if he does.
  • DPC enjoys making the game - why would he hand it over to others to do things he likes?
  • The time it takes to develop the game directly converts to money - why would DPC do something he doesn't want to do purely to speed the game up and result in less revenue over time?
  • Hiring people costs money - why would DPC commit to an ongoing cost for something he doesn't want to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
4.80 star(s) 1,526 Votes