ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018

View attachment 2162052

The animation queue is down to 28 animations, and the speed feels the same as last week. My estimation from the previous status update still stands.

Animations between 4-13 seconds have been rendered to completion this week. The remaining animations range between 3-8 seconds. Seven of those animations require approximately 50% more render time than the rest.

I'm focusing on playtesting and polishing, and there is no point in listing everything I'm working on since it's in all areas of the episode.

I find things to fix with every playthrough, be it renders, dialogue, code, GUI, sound/music, etc. The episode quality is improved with every pass I make.

Due to intricate branching, I have yet to see everything I created for the episode, but I'm working my way through everything methodically.

Since I'm aiming for a December release, starting next month, the Mini DIK ($5 tier) won't have the Season 3 base game for the Interlude, and it will be moved to the DIK tier ($10), as mentioned in the past.

Like in the past, the Mini DIK tier will get the patches to upgrade the Interlude to v0.9.0 two weeks after release.

A refresher for all new patrons since the last release is that my release schedule always looks like this:

• Early access (as soon as possible), Huge DIK ($25) tier
  • 3 days after early access, DIK ($10) tier
  • 2 weeks after the early access, Mini DIK ($5) tier (Patch only. You need the base Season 3 game to upgrade, in this case, the Interlude).
The actual dates will be announced when beta testing starts.

And since I've gotten plenty of DMs about it, the walkthrough is released between releases and after each episode, usually within 1-2 months after release, but never during the release weeks, as I'm preoccupied with community work during that time.

Have a nice weekend

Dr PinkCake
Uh oh, the numbers are starting to get a little fuzzy again. No word on static renders, but it sounds like DPC completed 8 animations this week. That would give him an overall rate of ~7.6 animations per week since the Interlude launched. Admittedly, that's assuming DPC didn't add any additional animations to the queue which is never a certainty, but I think that's the best assumption to make right now. Bearing that in mind, here are the charts:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Obviously animations are still the gating feature. Technically we lost about a week's ground from the drop in animation rate (8 instead of 9), which would suggest beta testing begins around December 9. That would make a release in December somewhat dicey (IMHO). But given how non-standard animations are as a unit, that may be deceptive. So let's do a science experiment.

DPC said the 8 completed animations ranged between 4-13 seconds; at an average of 8.5 seconds each and 30 frames per second, that gives us a ballpark estimate of 2040 frames of animation completed this week. The remaining 28 animations are between 3-8 seconds, which would mean ~4620 frames are left in the queue - *but* 7 of those animations will take 50% longer to complete than the rest. That can be interpreted multiple ways, but let's go with the simplest approach: 25% of those animations will have an equivalent frame count 50% higher than their raw runtime suggests. In that case - and assuming the average runtime of those 7 share the same mean as the rest of the bunch - that would increase our effective remaining frame count to ~5197. Using our current rate of 2040 frames per week, we'd expect to be complete in ~2.5 weeks, which would see beta testing start around December 2... right about where we predicted last week.

So to sum up, DPC's estimate that things are still on course seems plausible, which means we've still got a solid shot at a release by mid-December. There's still plenty of uncertainty, though, and we may need to squint pretty hard to keep track of our progress as we come down the stretch. Not much to do but keep our fingers crossed.

4.80 star(s) 1,526 Votes