Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
I'm so fuckin done with the game breaking. Going to reinstall again and fuckin restart. I like the game, but this is nuts. If it breaks again, I'll just wait until 2030 or whenever the game is finished. If I'm still alive.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Jumbi

funkymonkeyjedi

Jan 16, 2023
I'm so fuckin done with the game breaking. Going to reinstall again and fuckin restart. I like the game, but this is nuts. If it breaks again, I'll just wait until 2030 or whenever the game is finished. If I'm still alive.
Let me guess, you're using mods and/or have excessive saves?
If so, then you're sort of doing it to yourself...

If it's none of the above, then it could be a multitude of factors causing it. And giving a little more context on your box's setup might be helpful in tracking down what's causing it.
Just sayin'.

Darkwen

Forum Fanatic
Nov 10, 2020
I'll be honest if Sage asks for a foursome with Josy & Maya
I will throw her out the door.
Nobody is touching my two angels.
Not even another girl.
Josy listed Sage for a dream 4some, Maya said Sage was the hottest HoT considering how much Sage has try to help Maya it would only be right

Reactions: Joshy92

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
Josy listed Sage for a dream 4some, Maya said Sage was the hottest HoT considering how much Sage has try to help Maya it would only be right
I'll be honest I would rather it be Riona for a foursome
I think she is way hotter than Sage

funkymonkeyjedi

Jan 16, 2023
dumbdumb question, but how can i take a screenshot?
Typically, it should be "S". Unless you want to use a third party program like "Greenshot" for more flexible saving options.

Or use the Windows default (if you're using windows of course) of "Print screen" key and then using paint to save it with (but that's a bigger headache than it's really worth)

Daandas

Jun 26, 2023
Typically, it should be "S". Unless you want to use a third party program like "Greenshot" for more flexible saving options.

Or use the Windows default (if you're using windows of course) of "Print screen" key and then using paint to save it with (but that's a bigger headache than it's really worth)

Windows default didnt work, hence the question ^^ but S did the job. Thx

Reactions: funkymonkeyjedi

funkymonkeyjedi

Jan 16, 2023
Windows default didnt work, hence the question ^^ but S did the job. Thx
And just for clarification using the windows default does work, it just doesn't tell you it grabbed a screeny.

Usually the steps to using win defaults would be
-1- hit print screen key
(this will make windows save a copy in live memory, it's not saved yet)

-2- open MS paint or any other image editing software you might prefer using and paste should be available in the "Edit" menu.

-3- proceed to save your screeny.

But as I mentioned doing it this way is using a almost 30 yr old windows option that they've never really updated and remained as barbarically non-intuitive to use for a common user.

Really not sure why I bothered outlining the steps to use it
lol

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
Let me guess, you're using mods and/or have excessive saves?
If so, then you're sort of doing it to yourself...

If it's none of the above, then it could be a multitude of factors causing it. And giving a little more context on your box's setup might be helpful in tracking down what's causing it.
Just sayin'.
I am using a mod and I make saves for every choice. So both. Not going to lie about it. I also know it's my own fault. In fact, my last post about this was saying that I broke the phone ingame somehow. This is one of a few games I make tons of saves in.

My box's settings don't have anything to do with it. But, if you want to know:

Ryzen 2700x
32gigs - 3600mhz ram
Asus x470 prime pro
Samsung 970 pro 1tb x2
Nvidia 1080ti
Windows 10 pro 22h2

funkymonkeyjedi

Jan 16, 2023
I am using a mod and I make saves for every choice. So both. Not going to lie about it. I also know it's my own fault. In fact, my last post about this was saying that I broke the phone ingame somehow. This is one of a few games I make tons of saves in.

My box's settings don't have anything to do with it. But, if you want to know:

Ryzen 2700x
32gigs - 3600mhz ram
Asus x470 prime pro
Samsung 970 pro 1tb x2
Nvidia 1080ti
Windows 10 pro 22h2
Well, I think it would mostly be due to using mods. If you're using Sancho's mods, then I'd suggest hitting him up with a fix. He's really the only one who really knows what he's doing. I'm sure other modders are quite capable in scripting/programing as well. But Sancho really is a step above. For 1, he cares about how people use his scripts/mods. And secondly he listens.

I personally don't use mods, not even his, but I've seen how he deals with things and how he codes. The man knows his stuff. We also have to keep in mind that DPC goes out of his way to thwart users who use mods. He writes routines in his scripts to detect mods and break them intentionally.

Your rig seems respectable enough to be able to handle a large save cache, perhaps just the CPU's onboard cache might be a bit limited with 16mb of L3 cache (but that's not bad either way, I'm just comparing it with more recent models is all). Your ram wouldn't be the issue at those specs.

Reason why knowing what the CPU and RAM specs are, is good to post along with your errors is simply because Renpy based games don't use much of the graphics adapter's resources, just it's memory but very rarely the actual GPU for acceleration. I haven't seen any VN's from Renpy animate using the GPU (I'm sure there's probably a couple out there). So they're more CPU heavy rather than graphically.

So knowing this, screen resolution would also have an impact on older CPU's (which in your case wouldn't be an issue). Even though it's an older generation of Rizen it's still up to par, and quite capable.

And having excessive saves, how Renpy works is it doesn't load individual saves as you navigate your save menu, it loads them all up simultaneously at game load and keeps the saves in memory. So using features like "back" to rollback a decision or choice, will often cause errors because of how RAM will try to cache stuff to disk. On the latter, I'm not 100% sure of that, this is a behavior I've been trying to figure out, but it all hints to this method.

Now I feel kinda dumb going through all of that just to ultimately suggest you just hit-up Sancho himself for help in sorting that out. Unless of course, you're not using his mods. Then you can expect a "fuck off and use my mod" from him. lol

Even if I don't use his mods, I still have a lot of respect for his talents and knowledge.

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
Well, I think it would mostly be due to using mods. If you're using Sancho's mods, then I'd suggest hitting him up with a fix. He's really the only one who really knows what he's doing. I'm sure other modders are quite capable in scripting/programing as well. But Sancho really is a step above. For 1, he cares about how people use his scripts/mods. And secondly he listens.

I personally don't use mods, not even his, but I've seen how he deals with things and how he codes. The man knows his stuff. We also have to keep in mind that DPC goes out of his way to thwart users who use mods. He writes routines in his scripts to detect mods and break them intentionally.

Your rig seems respectable enough to be able to handle a large save cache, perhaps just the CPU's onboard cache might be a bit limited with 16mb of cache (but that's not bad either way, I'm just comparing it with more recent models is all). Your ram wouldn't be the issue at those specs.

Reason why knowing what the CPU and RAM specs are, is good to post along with your errors is simply because Renpy based games don't use much of the graphics adapter's resources, just it's memory but very rarely the actual GPU for acceleration. I haven't seen any VN's from Renpi animate using the GPU (I'm sure there's probably a couple out there). So they're more CPU heavy rather than graphically.

So knowing this, screen resolution would also have an impact on older CPU's (which in your case wouldn't be an issue). Even though it's an older generation of Rizen it's still up to par, and quite capable.

And having excessive saves, how Renpy works is ti doesn't load individual saves as you navigate your save menu, it loads them all up simultaneously at game load and keeps the in memory. So using features like "back" to rollback a decision or choice, will often cause errors because of how RAM will try to cache stuff to disk. On the latter, I'm not 100% sure of that, this is a behavior I've been trying to figure out, but it all hints to this method.

Now I feel kinda dumb going through all of that just to ultimately suggest you just hit-up Sancho himself for help in sorting that out. Unless of course, you're not using his mods. Then you can expect a "fuck off and use my mod" from him. lol

Even if I don't use his mods, I still have a lot of respect for his talents and knowledge.
Yeah. I only use Sancho's mods. Yeah, my rig isn't the problem. I did have issues with Defender deleting saves a couple years ago, that also has no bearing on this. I don't do any rollbacks to change choices. It's why I make saves at every choice. I would blame it my own transparent textbox mod, but with Sancho's mod I don't need it, so I haven't added it. I think it's just the luck of the draw. The only games I have had issues like this is BaDiK and BaRs. So, no clue.

funkymonkeyjedi

Jan 16, 2023
Yeah. I only use Sancho's mods. Yeah, my rig isn't the problem. I did have issues with Defender deleting saves a couple years ago, that also has no bearing on this. I don't do any rollbacks to change choices. It's why I make saves at every choice. I would blame it my own transparent textbox mod, but with Sancho's mod I don't need it, so I haven't added it. I think it's just the luck of the draw. The only games I have had issues like this is BaDiK and BaRs. So, no clue.
Don't forget, DPC actively writes subroutines in his scripts to thwart mods/cheats. I think he makes it part of his personal mission to hunt down mod users. And let's face it, DPC isn't a noob either when it comes to scripting.

Reactions: Dark Silence

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
Don't forget, DPC actively writes subroutines in his scripts to thwart mods/cheats. I think he makes it part of his personal mission to hunt down mod users. And let's face it, DPC isn't a noob either when it comes to scripting.
Yeah. I know. Same with another devv who claims he likes modders, but was always changing his scripting just to fuck with them.

Oliver Wendell Homely

May 9, 2020
That sucks, but it must be an issues with your installation. BaDIK is one of the few games of its size and complexity that is more or less bug free. If you have modded your games or are trying to load modded saves in an unmodded game, you are going to have issues. DPC does not like modding of his game so deliberately creates points in each episode where mod detection will crash the executable.

With that in mind, I am confident that if you deleted all your saves, including the persistent file, then started a new game from episode 1 using an unmodded game, you would be able to play all the way through to episode 9 with no issues. You might not want to do that, but that's my recommendation.

Reactions: KaiserST
4.80 star(s) 1,526 Votes