ProxyGist

May 8, 2023
Am I understanding correctly that the charge for patreon subscriptions is December 5-8?
That maybe DPС announced the release date just in time for the subscription debit?
I know that patreon allows you to buy a subscription and cancel it before it expires. Does that mean he set December 8 to make more money?

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
Hear me out, boys!! I have a new game you can play while playing the new episode instead of fapping. I know some of you perverts fap while playing these games. This is a game I can and will join. Instead of fapping like a pervert to pixels, grab a bottle of your favourite booze and take a shot every time the word "loan" is mentioned, said, insinuated, etc... in Episode 10.
I mean...my favorite "booze" is a good Pale Ale, which technically isn't even a booze, so...that would be a chilled evening. :BootyTime:

ZenoMod

Nov 12, 2022
The problem with the freeroam is that it kills replayability.

We have at least 5 main branches (plus all the possibile sub-branches, based on minor choices).

If one wants to explore all possible branches:

- with no freeroaming the player can just skip already seen scenes by pressing Tab and directly skip to a choice, and see in normal speed just the contents he has not already seen

- with freeroaming he is forced to redo the same errands 5 (or more, if counting sub-branches) times: find the sword, find the tap, find the keg... (I know we already know how to find them, but it's still a big bunch of booooooring clicks to be made... and it can't be skipped, just to see a 10% of unseen contents...

Some things, like the haunted mansion, are fun just the first time... The subsequent times they should be skippable... It's not that they are a new enigma if the MC plays those with different girls.

---

At the end of the day:

- it's ok to be forced to do multiple playthrough to see all contents

- it's not ok that already solved puzzles are to be carried out again and again to see just a few new contents.
In this way the booooooring time occupied in errands is much more than the good time occupied in viewing new contents

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
The problem with the freeroam is that it kills replayability.
Well, it is a bit of a catch-22 isn't it?! He will mainly rely on freeroam events, because of all the paths and permutations the story has by now and because they are easier to implement in a freeroam event in which you only have to change some scenes. At the same time it is like you wrote: They make considerable parts of the game boring because you have to do the same stuff over and over again to see all the scenes.

Tadpol

Mar 22, 2021
Assuming that the game will run for 4 seasons (16 episodes in all), and that we're at episode 2 of season 3, unfortunately this isn't the most exciting part of the story.

I have the impression that some of the various story arcs are more or less linked to each other (for example, Cathy's photo, the threatening/blackmail message received by Chad and Dawe, the hidden camera at the DIKs', all linked to the same person); not to mention the plots with potentially serious/dramatic consequences, which will only be resolved at the end. All this to say that the season is going to be a succession of cul de sacs for the plots that should last until the end (like what happened with Burke and Maya's parents), on the other hand, what isn't planned to be in the end game should be resolved now.

As a bonus, I'd like DPC to make an effort not to put LI-related events at the same points in the episode, so that we don't have the impression of replaying the same thing over and over again when playing the different routes.

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
Well, it is a bit of a catch-22 isn't it?! He will mainly rely on freeroam events, because of all the paths and permutations the story has by now and because they are easier to implement in a freeroam event in which you only have to change some scenes. At the same time it is like you wrote: They make considerable parts of the game boring because you have to do the same stuff over and over again to see all the scenes.
And I will not be doing that. I only need/want one main scene, with Rio. Maybe another with Zoey.

ChipLecsap

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 4, 2019
Am I understanding correctly that the charge for patreon subscriptions is December 5-8?
That maybe DPС announced the release date just in time for the subscription debit?
I know that patreon allows you to buy a subscription and cancel it before it expires. Does that mean he set December 8 to make more money?
Yes

• Haha
Reactions: Naxer

ZenoMod

Nov 12, 2022
Well, it is a bit of a catch-22 isn't it?!
I mean: in a "classical" VN with no freeroaming but just multiple choice menus, you can replay from start while skipping already seen content, and just focus on new contents determined by new choices.
This is a quick and not boring way to see new contents.

With free roaming to see new contents you are forced each time to solve old enigmas and carry out old errands which are fun only the first time when they are new.

It's like if in a crossword magazine once you solve the crossword puzzle at page one you are forced to erase it and solve it again before being enabled to solve the crossword puzzle at page two...

---

You may disagree with my opinion on freeroaming, of course, but I don't see any catch-22-like contradiction.

With no freeroaming, in new gameplays you can focus on new contents while just skipping already seen contents by FF.

If freeroaming is involved you can't, instead you are forced to do the same things again and again.

As simple as that.

jd8097619

Aug 27, 2019
Is it even a catch-22 though when most of the non-freeroam scenes are 95% identical and have heavy repetition as well? To DPC's credit it has to be said they did try to have more variety of free-roam routes, way back in episode 4 IIRC, and the result was frankly less content in each one and feeling somewhat pointless as a result. The time difference between free-roam repetition and non free-roam scenes is basically minimal at this point given the fast travel option in each event.

The real pain in the arse in multi-playthroughs so far has been the English minigame. That is easily the absolute worst part of BaDIK and thankfully seems to have been ditched.

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
You may disagree with my opinion on freeroaming, of course, but I don't see any catch-22-like contradiction.

With no freeroaming, in new gameplays you can focus on new contents while just skipping already seen contents by FF.

If freeroaming is involved you can't, instead you are forced to do the same things again and again.

As simple as that.
I'm not disagreeing per se, it is more that DPC wrote himself into a corner by splitting the main story into different paths and then have the paths sometimes branch into different sub-paths as well. Now he still has to make episodes that have at least some meaningful playtime per path, but to do that, he has to re-use as much as possible and for that freeroams are ideal.

If you make individual scenes for each path (like different dates for all the LIs) he would have to write and render all these paths on their own. With freeroams he can just have one big freeroam, keep like 80-85% of the renders for every path and then just modify or add certain scenes for the individual paths to make them feel coherent.

If he wouldn't do that the playtime per episode per path would either be a lot shorter or the developing time would be even longer. Pick your poison, I guess.

Reactions: allanl9020142

iggy.

Mar 24, 2022
I have the impression that some of the various story arcs are more or less linked to each other (for example, Cathy's photo, the threatening/blackmail message received by Chad and Dawe, the hidden camera at the DIKs', all linked to the same person); not to mention the plots with potentially serious/dramatic consequences, which will only be resolved at the end.
Of course everything is linked, and you are right on money. However, if we look at drama, dramatical writing and pacing(narrative) we have reached the point where things should start to get interesting. A lot of people here suffer from fatigue and the reason is perception of time - maybe there is better way to form this sentence, but my english is still in a way limited.

Point is, someone can download this game today - it's going to take them few days to get to the end screen of episode 9. Our new player gets to see Jill lewds in few days, but it took us years.

The main plot is going to be resolved at the very end, however if there is lack of progress to us reaching that point, that is concerning. If Rusty and the boys don't get seriously concerned about the camera and call frat meeting, then it's just lazy writing. Shit keeps happening in and around your house and you just carry on ? I know college bros can be thick in the head, but come on. We should be approaching the point where the boys start looking for individual who is sabotaging them

JiiEf

Aug 1, 2019
Mine always get collected either on the last or the first day, so I don’t think so. More like the 8th to not give the impression of releasing it on the money day.

4.80 star(s) 1,527 Votes